Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Will they put the pull-down mattress on the floor?

I suspect the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask.

This is the only thing I'm not excited about regarding our upcoming cruise. My parents booked the room based on the "accommodates 4-5 adults" statement on the DCL website (there will be 4 of us...them, my sister and me). I think Daddy missed that the other bed is a pull-down from the ceiling number (Concierge Family Oceanview With Veranda).

There is no way my sister and I can share a double bed without killing each other in our sleep, and given the weight limit I've seen posted, by default I will be the one having to climb up to sleep.

That was fun when I was 11. 30 years later, I'm not so excited about it. Obviously I'll deal and fake loving that part so as to not upset anyone, but I was just wondering if anyone had ever requested for the mattress to be placed on the floor and had it done.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
SteelersLover
Mouseketeer

You may end up with a sleeper sofa and a Murphy bed. I can't imagine from my experience that there is enough floor space for that. On the dreAm the space between the sofa bed and desk might accommodate.but I don't think so
SteelersLover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersLover View Post
You may end up with a sleeper sofa and a Murphy bed. I can't imagine from my experience that there is enough floor space for that. On the dreAm the space between the sofa bed and desk might accommodate.but I don't think so
The Concierge Family Oceanview With Veranda (Dream & Fantasy only) has a queen bed, a double pull out sofa, and an upper pull down bunk. No murphy bed.

I have read where someone did place a mattress on the floor, but they did it themselves. I would think it would also cause a problem with moving about the room if there was one down.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Lucijoy
Earning My Ears

Don't know if this helps but DS17 who is 6'2" (maybe +) about 165-ish slept on the drop-down bunk for a 4-night cruise on the Dream in May. He said it wasn't bad. Wouldn't want it long-term, but he didn't seemed to have trouble sleeping. The ladder to get up seemed sturdy. Good luck. Just keep reminding yourself--"I'm on a Disney Cruise!" :-)
Lucijoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #5
ThinkTink1
Earning My Ears

In the Deluxe Family Oceanview staterooms they can accommodate between 3 to 5 guest depending on the stateroom occupancy. Just because it can sleep up to 5 does not mean that the stateroom you are in has sleeping options for 5 guests. If you are really not comfortable with sleeping on the upper pull down berth I would recommend calling DCL ( as long as everyone else is in agreement ) and checking to see how much the occupancy of your specific stateroom is and if it only holds 4 see about switching your stateroom to one that sleeps 5.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #6
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTink1 View Post
In the Deluxe Family Oceanview staterooms they can accommodate between 3 to 5 guest depending on the stateroom occupancy. Just because it can sleep up to 5 does not mean that the stateroom you are in has sleeping options for 5 guests. If you are really not comfortable with sleeping on the upper pull down berth I would recommend calling DCL ( as long as everyone else is in agreement ) and checking to see how much the occupancy of your specific stateroom is and if it only holds 4 see about switching your stateroom to one that sleeps 5.
This is Concierge, not deluxe. My parents called them with our configuration. They just missed it's a pull down.

Oh well. Sleep is overrated anyway.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

This may be an option for you for a couple of nights.
Do not know if you would be up for this but due to a problem being in an inside room, my DD (adult) slept the first night up on the deck by the pools. No one bothered her, the crew moved quietly while around her, and she was able to get about five hours of restfull sleep. After the first night she was able to sleep in the room.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
maggie_sam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
I suspect the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask.

This is the only thing I'm not excited about regarding our upcoming cruise. My parents booked the room based on the "accommodates 4-5 adults" statement on the DCL website (there will be 4 of us...them, my sister and me). I think Daddy missed that the other bed is a pull-down from the ceiling number (Concierge Family Oceanview With Veranda).

There is no way my sister and I can share a double bed without killing each other in our sleep, and given the weight limit I've seen posted, by default I will be the one having to climb up to sleep.

That was fun when I was 11. 30 years later, I'm not so excited about it. Obviously I'll deal and fake loving that part so as to not upset anyone, but I was just wondering if anyone had ever requested for the mattress to be placed on the floor and had it done.
This happened on my last cruise on the Magic out of New York. I added my 80+ yr old mother, and originally our res was for me, my disabled adult daughter and her aide. I am 60+, the aide 65. When I added Mom, thought I would be able to do the upper berth, but based that on our experience with deluxe family verandah. I had climbed up into the berth several times with my granddaughter. Did not realize that the berth in the smaller verandah rooms was higher and much closer to the ceiling.

I was able to get up into the berth, but getting down was a whole different story . THe angle I had to move in in order to position myself with the ladder was causing a disk problem in lower back to flare up. I went to Guest Services and asked if they could work with me to find a solution. BTW the ship was sold out and there were no upgrades available. They were wonderful and asked if the cabin host placed the mattress on the floor would that be acceptable, and I was happy with this alternative . They stored the mattress under the bed during the day, and it worked out perfectly.

Now that I know this is something that I just cannot do, I would make different arrangements for future cruises. Hope this helps!

DisneyWorld 1972, Disneyland 1973, Disneyland 1980, Fort Wilderness 1986, DisneyWorld 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2004, Disney Wonder October 2010, Contemporary & Saratoga Springs 2010, Disney Magic September 2012, Bay Lake Tower September 2013, Disney Dream September 2013, Boardwalk Villas May 2014
maggie_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_sam View Post
This happened on my last cruise on the Magic out of New York. I added my 80+ yr old mother, and originally our res was for me, my disabled adult daughter and her aide. I am 60+, the aide 65. When I added Mom, thought I would be able to do the upper berth, but based that on our experience with deluxe family verandah. I had climbed up into the berth several times with my granddaughter. Did not realize that the berth in the smaller verandah rooms was higher and much closer to the ceiling.

I was able to get up into the berth, but getting down was a whole different story . THe angle I had to move in in order to position myself with the ladder was causing a disk problem in lower back to flare up. I went to Guest Services and asked if they could work with me to find a solution. BTW the ship was sold out and there were no upgrades available. They were wonderful and asked if the cabin host placed the mattress on the floor would that be acceptable, and I was happy with this alternative . They stored the mattress under the bed during the day, and it worked out perfectly.

Now that I know this is something that I just cannot do, I would make different arrangements for future cruises. Hope this helps!
Thanks! Good to know that it's potentially an option if necessary.

Of course it is noted all over the reservation (thanks to me communicating with shoreside concierge AND my sister who just finished her first contract on the Dream today talking with co-workers) that we're celebrating my parents' 45th anniversary, so who knows what may happen. Not counting on it...but you never know...
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
CaliforniaCastaway
Earning My Ears

Just ask your stateroom host to make up the bed on the floor. He/she will take care of it all, and then store the mattress back above during the day so it is out of the way. This works best if you also ask the stateroom host to remove the small table from the room for the duration of the cruise. We always used to do this on the Magic when our kids were little and we were worried about them on the top bunk.

Also, if you are on the Magic or Wonder, the double bed can be split into two twin beds (ask your stateroom host and he/she will convert when they get the beds ready on the first night). I don't think they have this option on the Fantasy or Dream. Enjoy your cruise!
CaliforniaCastaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCastaway View Post
Just ask your stateroom host to make up the bed on the floor. He/she will take care of it all, and then store the mattress back above during the day so it is out of the way. This works best if you also ask the stateroom host to remove the small table from the room for the duration of the cruise. We always used to do this on the Magic when our kids were little and we were worried about them on the top bunk.

Also, if you are on the Magic or Wonder, the double bed can be split into two twin beds (ask your stateroom host and he/she will convert when they get the beds ready on the first night). I don't think they have this option on the Fantasy or Dream. Enjoy your cruise!
As others have posted, I don't think there is room on the floor for the mattress.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

We just returned from a cruise on the Fantasy. We had a deluxe family room for 5 (although only 4 adults and a 13 year old boy), and we had a double, a sofa bed, a pull down bed and a murphey bed. We were not (unfortunately) in concierge!!!
Our stateroom host even asked if we wished to use the bunk or the murphey bed for the fourth person.
We wer in stateroom 10618

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
As others have posted, I don't think there is room on the floor for the mattress.
Correct! There really is no room on the floor for the mattress in a Cat V room if the sofa bed is being used. Facing the main bed(not the sofa bed), you might be able to place it on the floor by the left hand side, but not sure it would fit. Even if it did, you would get stepped on by whoever is sleeping on that side of the bed whenever he/she gets up. No room at all on the floor by the other side of the main bed, none at the foot of the bed either. Not practical to put it in the entrance way either because it would block access to the bathroom.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomagic View Post
Correct! There really is no room on the floor for the mattress in a Cat V room if the sofa bed is being used. Facing the main bed(not the sofa bed), you might be able to place it on the floor by the left hand side, but not sure it would fit. Even if it did, you would get stepped on by whoever is sleeping on that side of the bed whenever he/she gets up. No room at all on the floor by the other side of the main bed, none at the foot of the bed either. Not practical to put it in the entrance way either because it would block access to the bathroom.
That kinda sucks that concierge rooms have inferior set-ups to non-concierge. Clearly things were NOT explained correctly to my dad when he talked to someone from DCL as I know they knew we are 4 adults.

Oh well. No sleep for three nights won't kill me. I don't think.

Last edited by Dug720; 06-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

I don't know if I would say that it is an inferior setup, it's just different. This is probably why many adults choose connecting balcony rooms over concierge.

As an adult I would easily share a bed with my sister. They really can't pretend to know everyone's preferences. That being said, the murphy bed in the non-concierge room pulls down and works for sleeping, but not really for getting around the room either. You can't access the balcony with it out. Every room has some sort of compromise.

Also, add another vote for the pull down bunk being pretty comfortable. Every adult and child I've ever spoken to has had nothing bad to say about it. Unless you have physical issues getting up and down the ladder I would think positive.

We specifically chose this setup (Cat V) when traveling with my 78 year old mother in law so that she would have the double pull out and more room to be comfortable.

To each their own!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: