Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
jdfmommy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26

watching nfl football

I'm hoping to go WDW in the fall to take advantage of free dining. But we'll probably be there for the NFL season opener, which my DH will NOT want to miss as we are die-hard Ravens fans.

If this trip happens we'll most likely be staying at Pop Century or POFQ.

Most obvious place to watch the game would be ESPN Club on the BW, but exactly HOW early would we need to be there to get a table? And, how to get there and back? We'll most likely have a car, but DS and I would certainly head back to the hotel well before the game ended, probably leaving car for DH.

If we're at POFQ, it'd be really easy to take the boat to/from DTD, but I don't know where would be a good choice to eat/watch. What about the resort lounge? I imagine the regular Thursday night entertainment would still be scheduled, but are there tvs in all the lounges or just some?

If we're at Pop, I don't think there's a lounge, so, not sure what close options are there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
-Jenniifer
jdfmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
P00H1010
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 720

I am also curious...we are going in September for the first time and would prefer not to miss a Browns game...
__________________
(Me) (DH)

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
That's So Raven
Mouseketeer
 
That's So Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 110

Every time I've ever been to the ESPN club during football season it hasn't been packed. I got there at least an hour before the game started. The only thing I can tell you about getting back to the Pop is to take the walk to either HS or Epcot and then catch the bus. If you can catch the bus to DTD and then transfer, that could work also.
That's So Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
disnut8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brasleton, GA
Posts: 15,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfmommy View Post
I'm hoping to go WDW in the fall to take advantage of free dining. But we'll probably be there for the NFL season opener, which my DH will NOT want to miss as we are die-hard Ravens fans.

If this trip happens we'll most likely be staying at Pop Century or POFQ.

Most obvious place to watch the game would be ESPN Club on the BW, but exactly HOW early would we need to be there to get a table? And, how to get there and back? We'll most likely have a car, but DS and I would certainly head back to the hotel well before the game ended, probably leaving car for DH.

If we're at POFQ, it'd be really easy to take the boat to/from DTD, but I don't know where would be a good choice to eat/watch. What about the resort lounge? I imagine the regular Thursday night entertainment would still be scheduled, but are there tvs in all the lounges or just some?

If we're at Pop, I don't think there's a lounge, so, not sure what close options are there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
-Jenniifer
Since it's a Thursday night game, I would say maybe an hour before kickoff which is at 8:30. That would give you time to be seated, order, eat and then enjoy some of the game.

As for getting back to the resort, I would suggest you and your son take the car back. Let your husband take a cab to your resort. It's very easy from the Boardwalk and, I don't know this for sure, but if he's had a few, it would be good to let someone else do the driving. If he doesn't drink, the game will be over close to midnight so it would be good to have someone else drive at night. Just go out to the front bell stand and ask for a cab. They are stacked up nightly there.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran
 
GeorgiaHoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,047

I haven't tried to watch a football game at ESPN Club but watched a soccer match there this past March. For a Thursday night game you can probably watch at the resort lounge since it will be a national broadcast but I'd go to the ESPN club or DTD. From either of the resorts you can take a cab to Boardwalk. As far as when to be there I'd say two hours before kick-off. The food at ESPN club is only so-so but you can eat and hang out. And some folks can sit at the table while others walk around the Boardwalk.

If going to DTD Raglan Road might work. Best option at DTD might be Splitsville.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
jdfmommy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26

Quote:
Since it's a Thursday night game, I would say maybe an hour before kickoff which is at 8:30. That would give you time to be seated, order, eat and then enjoy some of the game.
An hour before wouldn't be bad at all! Definitely doable.

Quote:
Let your husband take a cab to your resort. It's very easy from the Boardwalk and, I don't know this for sure, but if he's had a few, it would be good to let someone else do the driving. If he doesn't drink, the game will be over close to midnight so it would be good to have someone else drive at night.
LOL. He actually doesn't drink much. My original thought was that driving would be easier for him - not the best sense of direction - than trying to navigate some sort of bus-hopping, but a cab would be easier still.

Quote:
If going to DTD Raglan Road might work. Best option at DTD might be Splitsville.
don't actually know much about either of those. Is Splitsville an actual restaurant with bowling attached?

Thanks!
jdfmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
JimboCh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 389

Since the Ravens lost half their players from last year, it might be best to go to one of the parks that night and skip the game?
JimboCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
chartle
DIS Veteran
 
chartle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pgh
Posts: 14,498

The more obvious is your room, unless you normally go out to see the game.
__________________
'77 FW Campsite, '99 FW Cabin, Feb '06 Off site Magical Music Days Band Trip, Aug '08 Offsite, Feb '10 Off site Magical Music Days Band Trip, May '11 Offsite, Dec '13 Offsite
ME DW DS24 DS22
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
baler31
DIS Veteran
 
baler31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,842

Although this does not solve your leaving early problem and needing transport, Miller's Ale House is an excellent place to watch sports. About a mile or two from DTD so you would need a car or cab. We go there on every trip to watch something and the food is decent bar fare at very low prices. They have a dessert that is particularly good but I cannot remember the name.
__________________
Nihil nisi bonum
baler31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,532

Hi from a fellow Ravens fan from Md!

While I am a big Ravens fan I am a bigger WDW fan. My DH is kinda backwards so the Ravens won out last time we visited WDW. In 2007 we went and stayed at ASMO and he actually stayed in the room and watched them play while DS and I went to Fantasmic. I'm still not that thrilled about that decision but I let (his) life continue.

I can't remember if they were playing a local team or if they had nationwide coverage that night but it may be an idea to check out. That is if your dh does want to deal with the bar crowds and travel to and from and just wants tot focus on the game.

Go Ravens!!!
Malibustyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brasleton, GA
Posts: 15,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
The more obvious is your room, unless you normally go out to see the game.
Another good choice as the game is on NBC. However, since it doesn't start until 8:30, it won't be over until after midnight. Not sure how the rest of the family would feel if the husband had the TV on until then.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
chartle
DIS Veteran
 
chartle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pgh
Posts: 14,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Another good choice as the game is on NBC. However, since it doesn't start until 8:30, it won't be over until after midnight. Not sure how the rest of the family would feel if the husband had the TV on until then.
Won't they still be in the parks having fun versus watching a silly football game. .

This is coming from a football widower, yes widower. Darn just realized I have to see what the Steelers are doing the week before Xmas.
__________________
'77 FW Campsite, '99 FW Cabin, Feb '06 Off site Magical Music Days Band Trip, Aug '08 Offsite, Feb '10 Off site Magical Music Days Band Trip, May '11 Offsite, Dec '13 Offsite
ME DW DS24 DS22
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
jdfmommy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26

Quote:
Since the Ravens lost half their players from last year, it might be best to go to one of the parks that night and skip the game?
You know, there's truth to that not to mention that the Broncos will have revenge on their minds!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle
The more obvious is your room, unless you normally go out to see the game.
Another good choice as the game is on NBC. However, since it doesn't start until 8:30, it won't be over until after midnight. Not sure how the rest of the family would feel if the husband had the TV on until then.
Yeah, that's the issue with the room; once DS is asleep, DH won't be able to cheer ... or complain. And while he doesn't typically go out to watch games, he usually enjoys it when he does.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8
Another good choice as the game is on NBC. However, since it doesn't start until 8:30, it won't be over until after midnight. Not sure how the rest of the family would feel if the husband had the TV on until then.
Won't they still be in the parks having fun versus watching a silly football game. .
Oh, that would definitely be my plan if it wasn't a night game. But I don't think my 2yo will still be up at midnight, lol! At least, I hope not!
jdfmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Senator Tressel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Columbus
Posts: 931

I'd rather watch it in my room. You can't hear if you watch it in a restaurant. I am in Orlando at least two Saturdays during football season and I always watch the Ohio State games in my room. But then again, I take it pretty seriously and don't want to be around other people if it's not going well.
__________________
Follow me on TWITTER!
Senator Tressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #15
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran
 
MinnieLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 1,408

DH has to catch at least some of his Giant's game while at WDW. If we are at MK, we take the boat over to GF, sit at the pool bar and relax. BW also has the games on by Luna pool. I can go shopping or relax, it's down time for us and he is a happy camper! Most of the pool bars, if they have a TV, will put on the games. You also have ESPN. We usually stay at BCV, and they have a really nice room with couches and a TV.
__________________


MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.