Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Fab4@disney
Mouseketeer
 
Fab4@disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 95

Pop or Cabins w/autistic child

I need all you Dis'ers to help me out for the final resort choice please,please, please

We are going to Disney in Oct for 8 nights and this is NOT our first trip. Me(Mom), my sister, and my daughters ages 8 and 11. The 11 year old is autistic and benefits from having her own bed and space for quiet time. Right now I have booked the Ft Wilderness cabins with the free dining pin code and plan to rent a golf cart. But I am thinking I should change to Pop Century with 2 rooms to give her even more space plus it's almost $700.00 cheaper even with upgrading the dining plans.

What do you all think? I am so very confused and want this to be a better trip than our last one. Please help me

Last edited by Fab4@disney; 06-13-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: emoticon needing fixing
Fab4@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
disneyteenager
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 26

i would reccomend pop because you can get a room thats farther away from the pools and stuff and ask for a 2nd or 3rd for room for less noise. also i think that pop is more visually stimulating with the colours.
disneyteenager is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 286

The cabins do have one bedroom but in it are bunk beds and a double bed, then the murphy bed in the living room. So she could have some space if needed. I am not an expert on this but I think I would say this...the cabins are going to be a lot quieter when you want down time. There is no room butted up against your room...so you won't hear people on the other side of the wall. Plus you can go outside and have a "yard" that is your own space.

One thing to consider is how much you will be using the kitchen if you got the cabins. If you feel your daughter will need more down time and you think you would cook lunches on breaks or something like that, then the cabins may be better.

At the cabins you can take the boat ride to MK or the TTC and get monorail over to Epcot so you are not confined to just busses.

Lastly, if money is tight and you think she will be OK with the rooms and the busses then I think that could be your answer. I think though that the cabins will be quieter even though you will all be in the same place as opposed to 3 rooms.

Probably didn't help any but those were my thoughts HAHA!!!
__________________
Donna

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor
 
NC Disney Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 228

Wow, this is a hard one? First of all, you have free dining (like us!). That makes the cabins less of a necessity since you really don't have to cook and the free dining gives you so much food, who needs a kitchen. But, as a many time Pop visitor, if quiet is what you need, I just don't see Pop as your choice. I love Pop but boy, it is always packed even during the slow season. And, since you are going during Food and Wine festival, it will be a bit busier than when we go the 3rd week of Sept.

I would say if she needs space and quiet, the cabin seems like a better choice. Doesn't it offer a separate sitting area plus a deck so you could hang outside while she rests? I just think that while the cabin is more expensive, the set up would allow you more opportunity for quiet. Even in the quietest location, it can be noise (again, noisy neighbors etc). And while we always request a top floor, corner room to try to avoid all the noise, if you want connecting rooms, this won't even be a possibility. Again, plus, these rooms are so small, if someone is resting, the others are forced to sit in a room--no balcony, no deck etc.

That's just my thoughts from a Pop girl! Good luck.
__________________

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Fab4@disney
Mouseketeer
 
Fab4@disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckelvey72 View Post
The cabins do have one bedroom but in it are bunk beds and a double bed, then the murphy bed in the living room. So she could have some space if needed. I am not an expert on this but I think I would say this...the cabins are going to be a lot quieter when you want down time. There is no room butted up against your room...so you won't hear people on the other side of the wall. Plus you can go outside and have a "yard" that is your own space.

One thing to consider is how much you will be using the kitchen if you got the cabins. If you feel your daughter will need more down time and you think you would cook lunches on breaks or something like that, then the cabins may be better.

At the cabins you can take the boat ride to MK or the TTC and get monorail over to Epcot so you are not confined to just busses.

Lastly, if money is tight and you think she will be OK with the rooms and the busses then I think that could be your answer. I think though that the cabins will be quieter even though you will all be in the same place as opposed to 3 rooms.

Probably didn't help any but those were my thoughts HAHA!!!
Yes you did help! Your response reminded me of exactly why I picked the cabins in the first place. I too thought it would be more quiet in the cabins since they don't share walls with other rooms. Ft Wilderness is also more laid back than Pop Century however I am concerned about her having to share the main bedroom with me and her "annoying sister"! I am also worried about the time it will take us to travel to and from parks. We will not be using the kitchen since we got the free dining.
Anyone else have any input?
Fab4@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Fab4@disney
Mouseketeer
 
Fab4@disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Disney Fan View Post
Wow, this is a hard one? First of all, you have free dining (like us!). That makes the cabins less of a necessity since you really don't have to cook and the free dining gives you so much food, who needs a kitchen. But, as a many time Pop visitor, if quiet is what you need, I just don't see Pop as your choice. I love Pop but boy, it is always packed even during the slow season. And, since you are going during Food and Wine festival, it will be a bit busier than when we go the 3rd week of Sept.

I would say if she needs space and quiet, the cabin seems like a better choice. Doesn't it offer a separate sitting area plus a deck so you could hang outside while she rests? I just think that while the cabin is more expensive, the set up would allow you more opportunity for quiet. Even in the quietest location, it can be noise (again, noisy neighbors etc). And while we always request a top floor, corner room to try to avoid all the noise, if you want connecting rooms, this won't even be a possibility. Again, plus, these rooms are so small, if someone is resting, the others are forced to sit in a room--no balcony, no deck etc.

That's just my thoughts from a Pop girl! Good luck.
You made some very good points! It would be nice that the rest of us would have some space outside if she needs some rest or quiet time. Thank you so much.
Fab4@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Fab4@disney
Mouseketeer
 
Fab4@disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 95

I should also let everyone know that we stayed at Pop last time and enjoyed it but we were all in one room together
Fab4@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
kandb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,253

You can also consider 2 rooms at a moderate and you wouldn't have to upgrade the ddp. I think you would probably break even with the cabins. POR and POFQ have both redone their resorts and they are so nice and relaxing. I looked into the cabins and I don't really care for the layout. Good luck with your decision.

PS I don't think you would have a problem getting connecting rooms at POR, we have a few times.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Mommaof3
I have a wet noodle and I'm not afraid to use it!
 
Mommaof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas coast
Posts: 431

We have not stayed at the cabins but have stayed at other places including Pop. I have a daughter that has mild autistic characteristics. It can be hard for her because Disney is over the top and full of people that don't follow her "rules" and needs. I so understand about the cabins being calming and less people close by. I also know that pop can be more stimulating for her. But I usually go for multiple rooms at pop because she just needs her space and that way she has her room and bed. It is hard for us as a family of 5 to give her space at poly or the cabins with the layout of the rooms and/or beds. Even the family suites are hard because 4 people in 1 section does not work. 2 rooms just works better. We have stayed at poly, por, akl, and pop. pop works better because I can get 2 or 3 rooms. That is the key for her over the quieter places. That way she can set things up the way she needs and no one bothers it because we have space. I have found that that is what helps her manage the other problems with vacation if she can come back and have her space and things to calm herself. If I could get a swing there for her we would have it made. Still working on that one! My long winded point is to pick the one that offers the child the best way and chance to manage their stresses.
Melissa
__________________
[
Mommaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Fab4@disney
Mouseketeer
 
Fab4@disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 95

Melissa(mommaof3)

Your post helped me so much......just hearing from another parent who could relate to my exact problem sure reassured me that my thinking is not wrong here! No matter how much "I" want to stay at Poly or the Cabins I too agree that 2 rooms would probably work best.

For those of you that say maybe 2 rooms in a mod would work, I already tried that and it is over budget. Thank you anyway.

Thank you all so very much for your time and thoughts

Please keep those thoughts coming!
Fab4@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Mommaof3
I have a wet noodle and I'm not afraid to use it!
 
Mommaof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas coast
Posts: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab4@disney View Post
Melissa(mommaof3)

Your post helped me so much......just hearing from another parent who could relate to my exact problem sure reassured me that my thinking is not wrong here! No matter how much "I" want to stay at Poly or the Cabins I too agree that 2 rooms would probably work best.

For those of you that say maybe 2 rooms in a mod would work, I already tried that and it is over budget. Thank you anyway.

Thank you all so very much for your time and thoughts

Please keep those thoughts coming!
I really do understand what is going through your head! I priced out so many options for our coming Dec trip that I finally put it on a spread sheet for easy comparison including different possible discounts. My daughter is grown now and it is still an issue that we must address. I actually went for 3 Pop rooms for this trip. She just needs her s p a c e. She needs her bed and pillows a certain way. I may have to swing by a Walmart and get a rocking lawn chair for her. Yes we fit in 1 poly or other deluxe rooms, but we do not have as relaxing time. We could do it when all the kids were little. Once they all hit a certain age, we needed more rooms.
__________________
[
Mommaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."
 
HopperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 8 Hours north of the Mouse & the Magic !
Posts: 5,026

While my DS does not have autism, he has Down Syndrome with many other issues including some in line with autism. We have stayed at both. I have stayed at POP during some very very difficult years for him when we stayed in the room more than we could do the parks. It was specifically for decompressing. I am returning this fall with him and while we have tried other areas of POP we found that the 50's upper floor, facing the lake have always been extremely quiet and peaceful. When I explain to reservations they always put in our request and we always get it. Sometimes even the last room away from the elevator. The bowling pool is also a nice quiet pool for him. The walk to our car or the buses is easy. And some rooms have views of fireworks so you can imagine how wonderful for him to sit on a chair inside the room all safe and quiet and be able to enjoy, at a time when he couldn't tolerate in person.

I do appreciate the two room cabin having normal seating/sofa but I don't think it would provide as much space as two rooms and the bonus of an extra bathroom. Another big plus was there is the kitchen but not if you aren't going to cook.

One of my biggest issues with the campground - for any of us - was the difficulty of the transportation and the time it ate up. We did not like all the transferring it took to get anywhere, the walk to the inner bus and on our trip they were infrequent and crowded. Then the transfer. It took a good bit of time to get to the MK so I really didn't consider that being "close" was a perk. It got bad enough we just took our car to the parks.

I guess my real question to consider is how is she at (1) transitioning to multiple buses, boats etc to get somewhere along with the additional time that takes (2) with my son if we were suddenly having a difficult time at the parks and needed to leave; doing two buses with waiting or a boat/bus, then add walking to the cabin .... it would have been too much for him. Good chance I might not get him to get on a second mode. I am more comfortable in the "direct flight" to get him to our room asap.
__________________
"There is no right way or wrong way to do Disney, just what is right for you!"
August x TWO = CSR, which we love and then crazy road trip down to POP for UNLEASH the VILLAINS!
Pirate Party 2008 Mickey's Xmas Party 2009 MNSSHP 2006 twice 2007, 2008, 2009 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013!
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Fab4@disney
Mouseketeer
 
Fab4@disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 95

[QUOTE=HopperFan;48678609]

HopperFan:

You gave me a wealth of knowledge and insight, thank you very much! I think we will change over to Pop Century just to have the 2 bathrooms and the better transportation options. I think even with a golf cart at the cabins that it will be too much transporting for her at stressful times when we really need to get back for some down time. We loved Pop last time anyway plus it's cheaper

I will make a request for the room location you requested. Did you do that when you made the reservation or some other way?

The cabins can be for the future trips........maybe
Fab4@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,569

Since Pop is familiar, that's probably a good choice. Since you've been here before, you're likely aware of just how crazy the food court gets at meal times. I would STRONGLY urge you to either eat at off times or else have her stay in the room with your sister while you get your food to carry back to your room. I'd go out of my way to avoid being there when they're doing the shuffle or twist (I think 8am and 6pm?).

FYI: When we stayed in a cabin with my 15yo Aspie, she LOVED the golf cart. It was a novelty. Even if the transportation back to the resort was stressful she would get totally distracted by riding backward on the golf cart. Then again, we're also at the point where we rarely have true meltdowns any longer since she and I have together figured out the majority of her triggers, how to avoid them, as well as a bit of coping strategies (when she's willing to employ them). I would never stay in a cabin without one (I doubt she could handle the bus transfers between the internal and external busses/boats) but the cart itself wasn't a problem.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(14) DSD(32) DSSil (41) DGD (newborn) DSD(30) DGS(4)




Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
disnut8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brasleton, GA
Posts: 15,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab4@disney View Post
I need all you Dis'ers to help me out for the final resort choice please,please, please

We are going to Disney in Oct for 8 nights and this is NOT our first trip. Me(Mom), my sister, and my daughters ages 8 and 11. The 11 year old is autistic and benefits from having her own bed and space for quiet time. Right now I have booked the Ft Wilderness cabins with the free dining pin code and plan to rent a golf cart. But I am thinking I should change to Pop Century with 2 rooms to give her even more space plus it's almost $700.00 cheaper even with upgrading the dining plans.

What do you all think? I am so very confused and want this to be a better trip than our last one. Please help me
The one thing that would have me doing the Cabins is that two connecting rooms at Pop Century will not be guaranteed. You have two adults and two kids so it's just a request. At the Cabins, you'd all be together in one place.

I'd go Cabins all the way and not risk even the slightest chance of not getting connecting rooms.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.