Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #106
Gr8Luv4Disney
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse"

Hearing this news, whether it's official or not, makes me happy! My boys and my husband (and myself, for that matter) would love to see Cars Land and Star Wars Land added to DHS! I think Indiana Jones and the Lights, Motors, Action Stunt Show have run their course long enough! The only thing I'm dreading is the cost of Disney resorts and admission to parks by the time Cars Land/Star Wars Land would be added.

Me: DH: DS(9): DS(5):

1991-1st WDW trip with HS Marching Band-stayed off-site;1992-HS Marching Band trip to WDW-stayed off-site; 1994-Last HS Marching Band trip to WDW-stayed-off site;1999-Disneymoon at WDW with my HS sweetheart-Dixie Landings;2001-Mom's 1st WDW trip with us-stayed off-site;2007-DS 1st trip to WDW-Saratoga Springs;2011-DS # 2's 1st trip to WDW-stayed off-site;2014-1st Disney Christmas Vacation-staying at Port Orleans-Riverside
Gr8Luv4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #107
jsebsirois
DIS Veteran

I might be on the few on here but I'm really not into that rumored expansion at all...

1) Not a Star Wars so... But I agree it's a good idea since Disney bought Lucasfilm.

2) I still don't get the partership with Avatar.

3) I really thinks Cars Land should be exclusive to Disneyland. I think it would be better if they come up with a new land for Disney World.

I mean, I totally agree that Hollywood Studios needs an expansion! The thing is I don't get why they would simply recreate an entire land. Why don't they just expand Pixar Place...

WDW : October/November 2013 (MNSSHP and MVMCP) March 2013, October 2011 (MNSSHP), November 2010 (MVMCP), October 2008, October 2006 (MNSSHP) and July 2005 DLR : October 2012 (MHP), July 2010 and September 2009
jsebsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #108
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsebsirois View Post
I might be on the few on here but I'm really not into that rumored expansion at all...

1) Not a Star Wars so... But I agree it's a good idea since Disney bought Lucasfilm.

2) I still don't get the partership with Avatar.

3) I really thinks Cars Land should be exclusive to Disneyland. I think it would be better if they come up with a new land for Disney World.

I mean, I totally agree that Hollywood Studios needs an expansion! The thing is I don't get why they would simply recreate an entire land. Why don't they just expand Pixar Place...
1. It is a fantastic idea, Star Wars is huge, even though the original trilogy is 30 years in the past and the prequels are far behind as well. Star Wars Weekends are very successful, so I would imagine that this expansion alone would drive attendance/profit for quite a few years.

2. Fits right in with the Animal Kingdom themes, is being assisted by one of t he great filmmakers in James Cameron, who has a vested interest in making the thing look great, and is slated to open around the time of the sequel, which will undoubtedly draw massive numbers like the original did.

3. CarsLand is proven, it has pretty much turned around DCA by itself, so it stands to reason that it will help DHS a great deal. I would prefer a World Grand Prix theming/layout to the Radiator Springs Racers ride, along with the recreation of the town itself, but the point remains, its proven successful.

I don't know if simply adding a couple of attractions (Monsters Inc/Brave/Incredibles/Up) would have the same impact as CarsLand. I doubt that it would.
mvk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #109
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I keep hearing a lot of the rumors about an expansion and I really think its going to happen. I also think it will be both cars and Star Wars because they're perfect for DHS. I don't think cars will be as grand scale as in DCA but it will have some of the same things. The unique part will come to Star Wars that will be DHS own thing that California won't get. Carsland in DHS will have some of the same things but not everything and may even include something different in WDW that DCA doesn't have to make each Carsland unique. Star wars is going to be the kicker for sure. I'm also hearing the announcement will come at D23 expo this year and I think that will perfect for this announcement. But one thing everyone can agree on is that DHS needs to something and they need to something fast.

disney lover at heart

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #110
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Here's my question about Star Wars vs Avatar:

I keep hearing about the new version of Star Tours, Star Wars weekends, character appearances, etc. It sounds like Star Wars already had a presence in the parks, and it has just been getting bigger.

Does Avatar have a presence in the park at all? Avatar weekends, Avatar character appearances, or anything?

I've never heard of anything like that. You'd think that if Disney was even considering a whole Avatar land or park, they'd at least start with some characters or something, just to gauge public reaction.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #111
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
Here's my question about Star Wars vs Avatar:

I keep hearing about the new version of Star Tours, Star Wars weekends, character appearances, etc. It sounds like Star Wars already had a presence in the parks, and it has just been getting bigger.

Does Avatar have a presence in the park at all? Avatar weekends, Avatar character appearances, or anything?

I've never heard of anything like that. You'd think that if Disney was even considering a whole Avatar land or park, they'd at least start with some characters or something, just to gauge public reaction.
I don't really think it currently "fits" anywhere. It will fit in at the Animal Kingdom though, when it is completed.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #112
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

More "rumors" and "sources say" but I'm hopeful this is true.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/b...t-will-be.html
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #113
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
More "rumors" and "sources say" but I'm hopeful this is true.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/b...t-will-be.html
OK - now that one is just whoring for hits. It basically doesn't say much of anything...claiming biggest expansion ever - then mentioning $200 million, which is really NOTHING. (Maybe 1 ride.)

Not saying he's not right - but not adding anything to the conversion.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #114
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

From the article.

Quote:
Guess what, Disney fans? That rumored Star Wars land/expansion at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will dwarf any other Disney-related expansion in its recent history.
Maybe "recent history" is limited to the past week and a half.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #115
BuzzBelleMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
From the article.

Maybe "recent history" is limited to the past week and a half.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #116
mvk
Mouseketeer

If they simply expand to the southwestern parking lot that is directly to the east of Indy Jones and Backlot Express, encompassing the backstage buildings there too, that would be somewhere between 20-25 acres.

CarsLand was about 12 acres
New Fantasyland was about 12 acres

It's very possible they use up between 15-20 acres of this space for the expansion, and add parking by building a 2 or 3 level garage on one of the other existing lots.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #117
jlreimer
Earning My Ears

http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_...d_studios.htm:

Star Wars Land - Rumor - (6/27/13) New rumors are flowing about what we might see added to the park with a possible mini Star Wars Land, and there is an interesting twist to it all now. It seems the plan to bring Star Wars Land to life may actually be divided into two phases.
Phase 1 would open rather quickly and see a Star Wars themed outdoor kiddie ride of some kind added, possibly the addition of a Cantina restaurant with Star Wars themed food items as a replacement for the Backlot Express restaurant which would be demolished for the new ride. Meanwhile an new and more impressive version of the Jedi Academy show (likely with a new name) would take up residence in a new indoor air-conditioned setting inside the old Sound Dangerous theater building.
Phase 2 is a little more tricky, as the rumors suggest that the main focus of this phase would be to add a very large E-Ticket Star Wars themed thrill ride to the park. It gets even more interesting when I’m hearing that this massive thrill ride may be set to replace The Great Movie Ride. I’ve heard it mentioned that the building could be reused and I’ve heard it may be torn down, but either way it also sounds like the old Mann’s Chinese Theater façade out front may be doomed either way as the park prepares to also remove the giant sorcerer’s hat as well.
The crazy thing is that there are even rumors about removing the nearby Echo Lake area as well, as it sounds like the park is ready to relaunch itself and may be in need of a new icon of some kind. If all those removal rumors are true, it seems almost strange that the American Idol show theater may sit untouched in the middle of it all… but we’re talking about long term plans over the next 5-7 years, and no one may care at all about American Idol by then. (As if they still do now…)
More on this as it leaks out… but the rumors are starting to get juicy.

- Monstropolis - Rumor - (6/27/13) There has been some interesting buzz coming from various sources regarding the future of the Hollywood Studios theme park and the new long-range plans. According to a posting at the Disney & More Facebook page, a plan to build a Monstropolis themed area is also under consideration here, Shanghai as well as the one we already mentioned for California Adventure.
While the entire idea of the Monsters Inc. Door Coaster concept has been bouncing around as an idea for the Studios park for years to no avail, I had also heard not long ago that the idea of adding any Monsters attractions to the Studios had been dropped. Of course, nothing ever seens to stay dead at Disney… though I find it curious that the newer rumors of building a full Monstropolis area seem tied to the fate of the Cars Land idea. In fact, some are saying that Cars Land at the Studios could be dropped entirely to build Monstropolis instead, but I’m not so sure.
I have heard that the previous giant version of Cars Land envisioned for the park (from Catastrophe Canyon to MuppetVision) may have been scaled back to only take over the Canyon, LMA show site and remainder of the Backlot Tour. This would leave all those themed New York street sets and MuppetVision area not only intact, but possibly now available for conversion to become part of Monstropolis.
jlreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #118
Fantasia79
Mouseketeer

A Star Wars section of park would be a brilliant move that fits into Hollywood Studios. Disney will make it something surreal that you'll have to experience. Can't wait to hear more.

My first trip report! Flower & Garden Birthday Spectacular
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post51003637

Grand Floridian 88, 89 Fort Wilderness Lodge 90, 94 Off-Site (with group as HS Band Member) 97
Off-Site (with group as HS Band Director) 03, 07, Dec 09, Dec 13 Polynesian Aug 09 Coronado Springs Aug 11 (30th Birthday) Caribbean Beach Jan 12 Beach Club Villas Mar 14
Fantasia79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #119
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I would be very disappointed if they did anything to remove the GMR or the theater facade. At that point you might as well rename the whole park and start from scratch.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #120
Mickeymagic123
Mouseketeer

This is exciting! My son will be 8 then...is that too old for Carsland? I don't think you are ever to old for Star Wars so my DH will be excited.

1st trip - I was 28 years old () Offsite
Jan 2011 - Grand Floridian
Sept 2012 - Pop Century
Sept 2013 - Caribbean Beach
May 2014 - Disneyland Resort Paradise Pier Hotel
June 2014 - WDW Offsite (waterparks only)
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach
Mickeymagic123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: