Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
RedHotAssets
Earning My Ears

BLT or Dolphin for Honeymoon?

DF and I are evaluating our options for our Honeymoon next year, and we're trying to decide between BLT and the Dolphin. Which hotel have you all had a better experience with?

Here's a general idea of what we're hung up on:
- Good transportation options (BLT=monorail access to MK & Epcot, Dolphin=boat access to Epcot & HS, we like both)
- Good food, because we are both foodies (I don't know much about the dining at Contemporary, I know Dolphin/Swan has good restaurant options). We are going during F&W season.
- We don't plan on spending much time in the room - we want to be out in the parks as much as possible (we'll be going to Key West for the second part of our honeymoon, which is when we plan to have some room time & recuperate!)
- We're not interested in character breakfasts or swimming.
- We plan to eat out for lunch and dinner every day. The only thing we'd use the kitchen at BLT for would be breakfast, but we'd be equally happy just eating some pastries at the Dolphin.
- Price is important, but it's not the deciding factor for us. BLT is more expensive, but it has the Disney magic Not sure how that changes over at Dolphin.

Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
ekendall2
Mouseketeer

Its an easy choice for me. BLT!!!! Being that close to everything will really make you feel like you never leave.

The other deciding factor for me would be that i am pretty sure you cant get the dining plan at Dolphin. Someone correct me if i am wrong...

If you can afford BLT...do it.

Off Site (Choir Trip) 2013, CBR 2011, POP 2009, ASMusic 2007, POR 2004, Off site (H.S. Band Trip) 2001, CBR 1999, CBR 1996, CBR 1994,
CBR 1992, Off Site 1991
ekendall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

If you're going during F&W, head to the Dolphin. You're only a boat ride or walk away from World Showcase!

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavid7771 View Post
If you're going during F&W, head to the Dolphin. You're only a boat ride or walk away from World Showcase!
I agree! Since you are going over F&W (a great time to be at WDW), the EPCOT resorts are absolutely the place to be. Nothing like a romantic walk along (along the canal) back to your resort after IllumiNations while the masses stream towards the front gates. Or running over for a quick bite or to get another helping of something you loved. Be sure to check out the seminars and special events. Some are priced very reasonably and are lots of fun!

The Swan/Dolphin resorts' Chefs have their own "Food & Wine Classic" over one October weekend. It's set up on the walkway between the two resorts. Don't know dates for next year, but we went to the first one and it was lots of fun.

We have stayed at BLT twice. It is very convenient to the MK - less than a 10 minute walk to the MK bag checks. Good access to some of the fantastic restaurants in the MK resorts. If you are going to have a car, parking at BLT is very convenient.

But IMO, it is NOT a good choice if you want to spend time at EPCOT (which I would during F&W Festival time). To get to EPCOT from BLT, you must walk over to the Contemporary, take the monorail to the TTC, disembark and wait for the monorail to EPCOT. Then you walk to the bag check area and go in through the front gates. Not horrible, but a lot longer (at least 4-5 times) than the easy 10 minute walk from the Dolphin.

Getting back to BLT from EPCOT can be a problem. You board the monorail, disembark at the TTC, wait for the resort monorail, stop at the Poly, the GF, the MK and then the Contemporary. Then there's a short walk to BLT. We've had to wait 20 minutes for a monorail and after a long day at EPCOT, all those extra stops are painful, especially if you get stuck for awhile (which we did). Anyway, I love BLT, but we stay there for our MK days and at the BWV for the rest of our trip. EPCOT & DHS are our favorite parks.

The Swan & Dolphin charge for parking on a daily basis. I think it is currently around $15/day, but not 100% sure.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and lucky you to have a honeymoon at WDW.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

In order for F&W / Honeymoon

YC
BC
BWI
BCV
BWV
S&D
GF
BLT
POLY
CR
WL
VWL
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

I pick the Dolphin, hands down. I've stayed at BLT and did like it. However, during F&W, I want to be in an EPCOT resort.
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotAssets View Post
DF and I are evaluating our options for our Honeymoon next year, and we're trying to decide between BLT and the Dolphin. Which hotel have you all had a better experience with?

Here's a general idea of what we're hung up on:
- Good transportation options (BLT=monorail access to MK & Epcot, Dolphin=boat access to Epcot & HS, we like both)
- Good food, because we are both foodies (I don't know much about the dining at Contemporary, I know Dolphin/Swan has good restaurant options). We are going during F&W season.
- We don't plan on spending much time in the room - we want to be out in the parks as much as possible (we'll be going to Key West for the second part of our honeymoon, which is when we plan to have some room time & recuperate!)
- We're not interested in character breakfasts or swimming.
- We plan to eat out for lunch and dinner every day. The only thing we'd use the kitchen at BLT for would be breakfast, but we'd be equally happy just eating some pastries at the Dolphin.
- Price is important, but it's not the deciding factor for us. BLT is more expensive, but it has the Disney magic Not sure how that changes over at Dolphin.

Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading!
I have never stayed at the Dolphin but I can tell you that I would jump at the chance stay at BLT again....it was amazing! It was an anniversary trip for my hubby and I. We had a studio with a theme park view and it was just magical. I loved looking at over MK !
-Transportation- it is nice to be on the monorail. If you are going to f&w it would be convenient to get to Epcot.
- Food....BLT uses the Contemporary for dining, on our trip we ate at the food court which was good. You have easy access to other MK resort dining via monorail. You also have easy access to MK and Epcot for dining in general.
- We didn't spend too much time in our room either, we normally hit the park late morning-early afternoon and are night owls so evening EMHs were very important...we'd pour back into the room at 12am or after generally lol. But even so when we were we soaked it up. My favorite was sitting on the balcony in the morning drinking coffee and watching the goings on at MK. Also watching Wishes from our balcony was pretty cool .

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
patty57
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both Dolphin and BLT. Going during F&W...Dolphin. The Epcot resorts area is my favorite place to stay.
patty57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I own DVC at BLT...and I love it there. I also own DVC at BWV....love it there even more. I've stayed at the Dolphin many times...staying there again in November since I can't book BWV!!! So...if you are looking for adult, luxury and ease of getting to Food and Wine?? Book the Dolphin!!! It's a lovely resort. No, it doesn't have all the little Mickey things around, but you really don't need all that. There is a nice store there that sells all sorts of Disney stuff and you are a very short walk away from 'the magic'!!!
You really will appreciate being right outside Epcot at this time of year. And you have some terrific restaurants at both the Swan and Dolphin. Shula's is to die for!!! You have Picabu in the bottom level of the Dolphin...cafeteria style type place, with really good food. Love eating there. Breakfast is quite wonderful, or you can just grab something quick in the lobby area.

Transportation isn't bad at all. You can take the boat to both Epcot and DHS..or you can walk. I usually walk..and would recommend it in November!! The walk to Epcot is about 10 mins and to HS is under 20.
Buses to both MK and AK are on a route with BW, and sometimes with YC/BC but not all the time.

At BLT, you do have to take the monorail over to the TTC and transfer to the Epcot line. Then, you have to trek all the way through the front half of Epcot to get to World Showcase and the FandW stuff. But you can walk to MK or monorail over. Buses to AK and HS are okay and shared with another resort or two.
Food at BLT is pretty decent. California Grill should be open by then. And a lot of people like the Wave...too trendy for me.
But, I found that BLT doesn't have a lot of that 'magical' feel like other resorts have. It is pretty sterile and clean!

So, only you can decide which is better. They both have their good points, as well as not so good points.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
castle1
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Since you will be there during F&W, I would definately stay at the Dolphin! The whole Boardwalk area is beautiful and romantic.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Save BLT for your first visit with kid(s). It's wonderful but, Epcot resorts are for adult trips or family trips with older children. You'll want to be at CR or BLT when you have your young kids and need to be closer to MK where you'll spend the majority of your time. Have fun!

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
ixmnrs
Mouseketeer

I would recommend Dolphin only because it is close to Epcot and F/W. We found getting to MK not too bad also if you walk through Epcot...especially if you don't have young children in tow or don't have a car. If you are a member of Starwood's SPG rewards program, that may be of benefit also. CR has the California Grill restaurant as their signature Dining Option.
August 2007: DCL Land (POLY)/Sea(DWonder)
August 2008: Off Site Nickelodeon Hotel
March Break 2009: Contemporary Tower
March Break 2010: YC CL
August 2013 : Polynesian CL
Aug 2014: Finally decided on CR AC TPV

ME(Still Young at Heart) DW (Likewise); DS(16); DD(13); DHavanese: (1)
ixmnrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle1 View Post
Since you will be there during F&W, I would definately stay at the Dolphin! The whole Boardwalk area is beautiful and romantic.
My thoughts exactly!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
RedHotAssets
Earning My Ears

Thank you all so much! We had been leaning towards BLT, but now I'm thinking we'll go to the Dolphin for sure! I am a SPG member and I saw that they have a reward where you can use 1,000 points to get 50% off of your rate during your stay. Has anyone ever done this at the Swan/Dolphin?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #15
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Love BLT - own there & TOWL is one of my FAV destinations - BUT if you're going during the F&W event then the Dolphin wins. The Dolphin is where we'll be staying in October 2013 = great location, great price and great beds. The customer service is very accommodating. Yes, it's a longer walk that BC or BW but if your paying cash it cannot be beaten.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: