DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Star Wars / Cars Land - spike in BWV & BCV?

So there are a lot of rumors going around about a new Cars Land & Star Wars Land at DHS. Regardless of whether the rumors are actually true (there's a separate board for that), If those lands did happen, it would undoubtedly cause a huge spike in attendance at DHS. If that happened, there would probably be a spike in interest for the resorts close to DHS. For DVC members, that would be BWV & BCV.

With BLT, VGF, and the rumored Poly DVC resort happening soon, there's been a lot more DVC activity in the MK area lately. I think a lot of people view MK & Epcot as the only "full day" parks, with DHS & AK being viewed as half day parks, or at least parks you only visit once a trip. If that's the case, then staying at an MK park with monorail access makes a lot of sense.

However, if DHS gets the full refurb that a lot of people are talking about, it might be come as popular as the other parks. A lot of people might want to stay at BCV or BWV for the easy boat ride / walk to DHS. This would drive up demand for those resorts, making it harder to get reservations at the 7 month window, and possibly driving up resale prices as well from people who might now want to add on at those resorts.

Does this make sense? Behind the scenes, might this be why Disney focused on DVC MK resorts while promoting New Fantasyland but BEFORE building up DHS?
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

As a beach club owner, I have a few thoughts. First of all, under the category of perception versus reality, I can take a bus to the Magic Kingdom faster than I can take a boat to Hollywood studios from the beach club. I'm not saying the boat isn't nice, but there are several stops, and it's a good 20 minute ride even if you catch them just as they're arriving.

I would also contend that I don't think Beach club can get any more popular. There are times of the year where even at seven months you can't get consecutive nights.

Boardwalk is definitely closer to Hollywood studios, and because of its sheer size there tends to be a little more availability, so I could see a more noticeable affect over there.
Another factor is that both of these resorts currently expire in 2042. With a conservative timeline, a complete Hollywood studios overhaul would probably not take shape for another 5 to 7 years. I don't see the contract is being more valuable unless they're extended at that point.

Of course anything they do at Hollywood studios would have some impact on these two resorts. I don't know that I can have a huge effect on Beach club, it's almost frustrating at this point owning there because unless we plan everything 10 or 11 months in advance we can't stay there. We stayed there twice on cash reservations in the last two years because we couldn't find anything with points. So I doubt it can get much busier!!
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
drusba

DIS Veteran

Fact that new attractions are added to a park should not really impact on DVC reservation demand of any particular resort. Anyone staying at any WDW DVC resort can get to any park. I am not aware of any sudden flush of changing demand for BLT that has occurred simply because of the new Fantasyland or that demand for BWV or BCV changed in any signficant way when they added Soarin to Epcot or Toy Story to Studios. In fact, one of the few things that actually had a signficant impact on shifting demand for BCV and BWV and even other resorts was making the wine and dine festival at Epcot an event that lasts more than 1 1/2 months.. Thus, we know what would really result in higher DVC demand for any particular near park resort-- alcohol running freely (that says something about a number of us ... and I am proud of it).

The near park resorts have very high demand already for the late Sep to Jan Marathon weekend quarter and that won't change. Even for the rest of the year, anything left at 7 months out for those resorts often gets grabbed fairly quickly once the 7 month window opens and that is true for any near park resort. Adding Stars and Cars to Studios is not likely going to make a lot of DVC members who clamor for those low point times that dominate in Sep to Jan suddenly decide they got to go to BCV or BWV in March or April when points are high.

I perceive the changes to Studios as possibly being a precursor to something else. There is a lot of unused land around the studios, enough to even create a Studios resort area similar to Epcot. If they build DVC at Poly, they will be out of near park resort places to put it. Makes me wonder if there is, in the long range plans, someone's drawing setting out the new resort are near Studios that includes DVC.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
JasonDVC
DIS Veteran

Those 2 new lands will be opening about the same time as the Yacht Club Villas open so there will be some extra hotel space with that as well.

JasonDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
wdwlover25
Mouseketeer

Would be awesome for them to create a new resort area similar to Epcot's with back door access to HS.
wdwlover25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
I perceive the changes to Studios as possibly being a precursor to something else. There is a lot of unused land around the studios, enough to even create a Studios resort area similar to Epcot. If they build DVC at Poly, they will be out of near park resort places to put it. Makes me wonder if there is, in the long range plans, someone's drawing setting out the new resort are near Studios that includes DVC.
A couple of years ago there were some rumors about a DVC resort being built in the area east of Coronado Springs Resort, north of Blizzard Beach, and west of Hollywood Studios. Such a location could give resort guests direct access to Blizzard Beach and, if a tunnel were built under World Drive, a backdoor access to DHS. Of course, if Disney is unwilling to build a simple bridge over the Electric Water Parade canal so VGF and GF guests can walk to MK, then why should we expect it to spend money on a tunnel?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDVC View Post
Those 2 new lands will be opening about the same time as the Yacht Club Villas open so there will be some extra hotel space with that as well.
Wait, is that actually a rumor? I've tried to start a "Hey, Disney should build a Yacht Club DVC resort!" rumor, and no one agreed with me .

Here's my Yacht Club idea: most people are worried that a Yacht Club DVC resort would make an already-packed Stormalong Bay more crowded, right? So, since they almost always make an extra pool for the Villas, they could just make the Yacht Club DVC pool extra cool.

The resort's theme is already yachty. I think it would be really neat if the DVC pool, instead of being just a quiet pool, was an actual lazy river. Not super huge like the lazy rivers at Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, but significant (I understand that one is being considered at the Poly too). The best part is that it already has a built-in theme - yacht racing! Make it look like the rafts are racing yachts & are racing each other around the course. I think that would be really neat, and would relieve some of the congestion from SAB if it had 4 resorts to support.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

as said, BWV & BCV are already two of the most popular resorts.
even a week into the 11 month mark, we have had to WL for the BWVs in october (since we own at both resorts, we've been offered BCV, which almost always seems to have availability for our dates - guess it's murphy's law ). at 7 months (using our BCV points), we usually have to WL for our BWV may vacation - which (mostly) has come thru.

as much as we enjoy DHS now (our faves are EPCOT & DHS), i doubt even building carsland would significantly increase the park's attendance long-term. there simply aren't enough diverse attractions there - the many streets devoid of activity, and rides such as backlot, would need to be addressed/updated to interest families with post-toddler children, and adults.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
Wait, is that actually a rumor? I've tried to start a "Hey, Disney should build a Yacht Club DVC resort!" rumor, and no one agreed with me .

Here's my Yacht Club idea: most people are worried that a Yacht Club DVC resort would make an already-packed Stormalong Bay more crowded, right? So, since they almost always make an extra pool for the Villas, they could just make the Yacht Club DVC pool extra cool.

The resort's theme is already yachty. I think it would be really neat if the DVC pool, instead of being just a quiet pool, was an actual lazy river. Not super huge like the lazy rivers at Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, but significant (I understand that one is being considered at the Poly too). The best part is that it already has a built-in theme - yacht racing! Make it look like the rafts are racing yachts & are racing each other around the course. I think that would be really neat, and would relieve some of the congestion from SAB if it had 4 resorts to support.

Love it!!!!!! We stayed at Yacht Club a lot when I was a teenager and I love it there. Even though it seems redundant in a way to put a DVC at that resort, I would love it.

With regards to original question, I think having two new worlds to explore at DHS might increase demand sligthly, but not too crazy. Like pp said, BCV is nearly impossible to get into at 7 months already, hopefully it wouldn't get too much worse. But anything's possible.

If DHS wants to get more people, they better put some more rides in. People with kids want rides. Heck, most people want rides. There's only so many shows or performances or this and that you can sit through.

For example, I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I literally paid the ticket fee for a day to go into Universal just to go to Harry Potter land. Now this was a major deal for them right? I was totally let down. I think we spent 3 hours there, if that. One additional ride. The roller coaster was already there, they just renamed it. A few shops, the Three Broomsticks restaurant and the wand shop.

If Disney isn't going to top this in a huge way, I think I'll be disappointed again. And I don't think any increase in people will last.

On the bright side, maybe I'll get to go on Toy Story Mania without having a FastPass and without having to stand in a 2 hour line, because people will be elsewhere.

Last edited by AmyB2006; 06-15-2013 at 09:10 AM.
AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSchrow View Post
as said, BWV & BCV are already two of the most popular resorts.
even a week into the 11 month mark, we have had to WL for the BWVs in october (since we own at both resorts, we've been offered BCV, which almost always seems to have availability for our dates - guess it's murphy's law ). at 7 months (using our BCV points), we usually have to WL for our BWV may vacation - which (mostly) has come thru.

as much as we enjoy DHS now (our faves are EPCOT & DHS), i doubt even building carsland would significantly increase the park's attendance long-term. there simply aren't enough diverse attractions there - the many streets devoid of activity, and rides such as backlot, would need to be addressed/updated to interest families with post-toddler children, and adults.
Backlot Tour is one of the rides to go away, along with Lights, Motor, Action according to the rumors since both Carsland and Star Wars land will be built. I think they need to do something with the streets of NY. That is definitely a waste of space. They could move the Osborne Lights to another street.

Regarding a DVC YC--no. The area is too crowded now and transportation is overloaded. I would think if another resort is built it will go back to the rumor wdrl mentions in his post above #6.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Doubtful that theme park enhancements will have any direct impact on DVC resort demand.

As for future DVC projects, many sites have been considered in recent years. Additions / modifications to current resorts...new stand-alone resorts...close to theme parks...further from theme parks. All territory has been covered.

Poly has the inside track now (and until the earth moving equipment arrives, even that could change.) Beyond that, it's impossible to predict which concept will ultimately get the green light.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
cbnsoul
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post

I agree with you! I have thought that Disney will put something over there relatively soon. The near park resorts are just an easy sale and there have been no new Epcot resorts for quite awhile. Disney will make room.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDVC View Post
I love humor so early in the morning.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
JasonDVC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

I love humor so early in the morning.
That's ok. I understand and respect your opinion. I got the same response in 2009 when I posted that GFV was coming.

I enjoy reading your posts and do not wish to get into a debate with you.

JasonDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
WB1971
Always planning my next trip

Hollywood tower hotel and villas. Hmmm?
WB1971 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: