Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
RebeccaMcK
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
ETA: Ah, just scrolled back up through the previous posts and see your date is July 2. I notice also that Mickey and the Magical Map times haven't been posted to the calendar beyond June 30 yet. I'm guessing the times will be the same or very close when posted, but keep checking for your date.
Yeah, no times are listed yet for July for that particular show. Thanks, though - I forgot to check June for examples (the site loads the monthly/daily schedule pages slowly for me), so I'll jot those times down for now and then check closer to the time of our trip for July 2nd times. They had everything else listed: Golden Horseshoe (Laughing Stock Co.), Aladdin, parades, fireworks, Dapper Dans, Billy Hill, etc.

-----------
I forgot about IASW. That's a must do for us most trips, especially in Disneyland (moreso than at Magic Kingdom - the extra stuff and the superior exterior are the draws). I grew up in SoCal and have been to DLand pretty much at least once a year since 1972 (until I moved to CO in 2004 - yes, we're very close to the wild fires right now), so we know there is so much to do in the two parks. I figure, whatever gets done gets done and is fun....hey, a crowded, hot day at Disney is still better than a regular day at home or at work. And anyone doing Fantasyland attractions, yes, do them early in the morning (and sometimes late at night could be good, too). My kiddo is finally ready to give up some DL Fantasyland stuff but we still ride Peter Pan when we can. If we do last a while into the evening, maybe we'll see about Mr. Toad and some other stuff (DD8 finally road Mr. Toad for the first time last October, after seeing the short Disney film at school that year).
RebeccaMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
SeattleRedBear
Mouseketeer
An old floorboard creeks, but the frog was in the crick!

@ the OP.

Any first timers to Disneyland that are WDW veterans should review HydroGuy's excellent comparison of the two resorts

There is no way you can completely cover the two parks on a summer day (even with a VIP tour, imo). I would suggest focusing on the things that are different between the two resorts or not available in Florida. As sonnyjane pointed out, there are nearly as many attractions in DLR's two parks as there are all in all four of WDW's parks.
Disneyland Paris: 1999, 2001

Dreaming for Tokyo and Hong Kong....
SeattleRedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #18
Zzizzy
Disney Storyteller

Visiting Disneyland in just one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Wife and I are headed to LA for 5 days July 15-20. We want to dedicate one of those days to Disneyland/California Adventure. We have been yearly visitors to Disney World, but this is our first time going to Disneyland. Question is which day do you think would be best go to (Tuesday-Friday)? Also, do you think it would be possible to do all or most of the fast pass attractions there and in California Adventure? I've looked at the crowd calendars and it does show it is busy (as it is all summer). I know Disneyland is smaller the Disney World, but am unable to locate an app for wait times and such.

We are contemplating whether or not to just do the Disney VIP guide so we can get everything done. It is pretty pricey though, so we're weighing our options. We would love input from those with experience. Thanks!
I did a segment on the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition on this topic and also wrote a blog about it that you might find helpful. It concentrates on Disneyland alone, but you could modify the plan and cover some of DCA as well.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/03/...nd-in-one-day/

Doing both parks to any great degree in just one day would be a challenge. Disneyland isn't really that much smaller than the Magic Kingdom in WDW, but there are almost the same number of attractions and the time to do those would be about the same. Add in DCA and you are going to need to spend every hour the parks are open. Stay away from Friday; it gets very crowded when the local folks start coming in after work.

Good luck and have fun!

-Wayne

Podcast Cruise 3.0 - June 2012
DISapalooza 2011 - Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - December 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - September 2011
D23 Expo 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - October 2010
Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic - July 2010
Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary - September 2009
D23 Expo 2009
Zzizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
RebeccaMcK
Earning My Ears

Wayne, that's a great article with very good pictures, thank you for posting the link. These days most of us going for one day (if not planning to go back any time soon) are going to park hop, and Radiator Springs Racers has changed most people's morning plans as far as Fastpasses/first rides go - we'll often start off there first. But for starting off with Disneyland, my usual plan of action is to walk down Main Street (take in sights as we go but don't stop anywhere until later in the day when there is more "free time"), get FPs for Space Mtn, then ride the Nemo Submarine since it's a great attraction and usually a "must do" for early mornings since the line just gets longer as the day goes on. We tend not to ride DL's Astro Orbitors since it's low on the ground unlike Magic Kingdom's that's way up in the air (although maybe DL will eventually raise theirs up again). Or else go hit Dumbo/Peter Pan and Toontown, depending on who's in the group and if they want to do those attractions. I've noticed the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-through isn't always open at opening time (I've stood in line at Peter Pan's Flight and seen the walk-through area open later in the morning), so that along with Tarzan's Treehouse and Pirate's Lair (what used to be Tom Sawyer Island) are better as time fillers for later in the afternoon. And now that they're enforcing FP return times, it is better to use the FP system (especially if there for just the one day) and know when to go use your FPs and get more. Doing Fantasyland at night is good, too, if not already done in the early morning. The Mountain rides are good FP priorities (along with Star Tours, like you said). The lines just for getting FPs for Indiana Jones are often long and the FPs run out early on crowded days. It is fun to go through the standby queue once, to see the theming. With Matterhorn, which has no FP, someone told me once that during parades they close one of the two lines - so then the remaining line seems to move faster since they're just loading riders from that one line. Anyway, my rule of thumb is usually to use FP as much as I can, keep an eye on the time occasionally so I don't miss return windows, while riding the favorite rides that don't offer FP. Later, when people are leaving the park after the fireworks, is when I cut through the joined shops along Main Street (and do my shopping if I have any to do). That's if I'm even staying through the night parade and fireworks' time. If we're there at opening time (as we tend to be for the last few years), we've usually done everything we want to do and are ready to leave around dinner time. But that's when we just do the one park. If also doing California Adventure, it'll be a bit later. Cars Land gives us more to do there now, along with CA Screamin', Tower of Terror, Monsters Inc ride, Muppetvision, Aladdin Musical, Mickey's Fun Wheel, TSMM, Little Mermaid ride, Soarin'.....of course, if we cut out what we know we can do at WDW then the day can be streamlined a bit more. For those of us who like to plan our day, of course. Anyway, it's good to see various park touring plans from different people.
RebeccaMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
sar919
Earning My Ears

OP, how did you do? We did DL and DCA in one day on July 18 and got to do almost everything that we wanted to do, we just ran out of time and energy!
sar919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: