Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
dthogue
BL II - Blue Team
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for your resposnes - they are very helpful and so inspiring. Since I orginally posted my message I have decided to proceed with the surgery. I am leaning towards the RNY gastric bypass, but I am still researching the sleeve option.

My insurance requires a 3-month supervised program, so on October 2nd the surgeron can submit for approval. Most of my medical testing is complete, I just need to get my A1C level checked and do a psych eval.

I have changed my diet, eliminating sweets (for the most part), and watching my carbs which has helped control my diabetes. I have started exercising daily and know that I must maintain this after surgery as well. I have researched the post surgery diet and know what to expect. I know that following that diet is the key to success.

We leave for Disney on Thursday and I'm so excited. It is going to a challenge to continue to eat right and exercise while I'm there, but I am determined to do! One bit of the Mickey Ice Cream bar (watch out, the ear is MINE)! with determination, I know I can do this!

Tammy

dthogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
lyncecelia
DIS Veteran

I'm pre-op as well. I've been looking at different programs around here, and today I think I found the one I want to go with. I'm leaning towards an RNY, but I am open to a sleeve...

Me (26)DH (34) *DH's Kids*:DSS13DSD12DSD11 DSS7
Met on the DIS, and going strong
May 10th 2010-First date at Kona...October 2011-first trip together...April 21st-29th 2012-first trip with the kids...October 3rd-6th 2012-adults only trip...January 9th-13th 2014-planning session and birthday trip for DSS1...February 2014-Valentine's Day Getaway...May 16th-24th 2014-wedding trip (WP/LSS/Sago Cay), honeymoon, and birthday trip for DSS2...December 4th-7th 2014-birthday trip for DSD2...March 14th-16th 2015-birthday trip for DSD1

Hear me on: ...On a mission to become a healthier me! I have lost:
lyncecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
mguilford1
Mouseketeer

gastric bypass 2006

I had the surgery done in 2006 (SIZE 22.) I had pre-surgery counseling (didn't really help) I was very sick for the first 3 months couldnt hold anything down including water, my primary care Dr. thought I might die. I was told it had something to do with the fact I had always had motion sickness and the doctor hit the bundle of nerves that controls this Lost 125 pounds in 4 months (size 8) They were getting ready to put a feeding tube in me when I had a siezure. I have always had anxiety and they determined this was what caused the seizure so they started treating me with anxiety meds and I did get better. I did not gain any weight for about 4 years then as my stomach grew and stress returned to my life I started gaining weight. I now wear a 14. Now I can say I am glad I had it done but at the beginning I said NO. It was not easy at all and it is still a struggle. I told myself before the surgery that I would not gain back weight and I would exercise everyday but with being so sick so long that plan never worked and I never got back on track. I know quite a few people that have had this done 50% have been very successful 50% partially successful. Some people will say you are taking the easy way out. This is not the easy way out! It is a lot of hard work. You can PM me if you have any other questions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: