Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
RainK
Mouseketeer

*sigh* changed from BC to ASMU

This was supposed to be our first shot at staying at a deluxe but after really looking into our OOP food cost total ( as we have always has free dining before) we decided to save the $ and change to a value ( again).
Don't get me wrong, we have thoroughly enjoyed our trips to POP ( twice), ASMOVIES and CBR, but I was sooooo looking forward to BC.
Of course, LM rooms at AOA are sold out and I let the kids pick the resort, and they chose ASMUSIC.
They are by far, way more excited to stay at ASMU than they were at BC so I guess I should be happy......

Anyways.... Anyone stay here recently and can tell me good things about it?
We arrive Aug 17 and I am aware that Sports has a refurbishment so the food court will prob be busy.

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
3cuteDISkids
Earning My Ears

Can you swing a mod? We loved POFQ! It would only be one step down (or up, depending on which way you look at it) instead of 2. You would still feel like its an upgrade but not quite so much money. Both Port Orleans grounds are beautiful. There are several other mods too but I can't speak for them. Just a thought....you seem so disappointed.
3cuteDISkids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

What about a split stay? A few nights at a value and a few at BC? We love changing resorts....feels like an entirely different vacation when we arrive at our new "home." You could get all of your park time in at the beginning and then end the trip relaxing at the BC and walking to Illuminations Just a thought...
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
They are by far, way more excited to stay at ASMU than they were at BC so I guess I should be happy......

Anyways.... Anyone stay here recently and can tell me good things about it?
We arrive Aug 17 and I am aware that Sports has a refurbishment so the food court will prob be busy.
Yes, you should be happy. Because you will be with your family. So put all those negative things out of your mind and focus on positives. You are saving money, your kids are happy about everything and once they are grown and gone, you will have fond memories about the trip which you might not have been able to do if you went to the Beach Club. Or maybe you would have been able to do but had to scrimp on something else.

Take the money you are saving and put it into college funds for your kids. Win/win.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
pigletto
DIS Veteran

You know, we've stayed at several Deluxes and we always end our trip at a value because we want to use M.E. and sometimes need to leave at 4 or 5 in the morning to get the earliest flight. Seems silly to me to pay Deluxe prices for that last night.
Anyway.. we've stayed at all the AllStars and my kids like them. Is it a Deluxe? No. But the kids thought the icons were cute, the pools were fun, and hey as long as yours are just as excited take the savings and have a wonderful trip!!
Personally I don't mind walking from the furthest rooms. I like to be back where it's nice and quiet and the walk is minimal
Old 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
RainK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Yes, you should be happy. Because you will be with your family. So put all those negative things out of your mind and focus on positives. You are saving money, your kids are happy about everything and once they are grown and gone, you will have fond memories about the trip which you might not have been able to do if you went to the Beach Club. Or maybe you would have been able to do but had to scrimp on something else.

Take the money you are saving and put it into college funds for your kids. Win/win.
Thank you! This made me smile. Changing resorts now allows us to go on more weekend getaways to the beach this summer and not just our Disney trip at the end of the summer.

My kids are truly more excited to stay at ASMU than they were at BC. (ages 8 &9) It was just MY excitement, I guess, and disappointment of having to change from my first booked deluxe!

We are not split stay people...we like to unpack and settle in, so it's ONE hotel for us.

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
Old 06-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Are you using the room only code? It's 30% for most deluxes... It saves my DH and I more than FD when we stay deluxe

We have stayed Poly, CR, GF and BC and it was our worst experience ever! We will never go back!!

What about AKL with the RO code??? It's cheaper than most of the deluxes too WL only gets a 20% discount
ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
RainK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Are you using the room only code? It's 30% for most deluxes... It saves my DH and I more than FD when we stay deluxe

We have stayed Poly, CR, GF and BC and it was our worst experience ever! We will never go back!!

What about AKL with the RO code??? It's cheaper than most of the deluxes too WL only gets a 20% discount
ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
I originally booked with a 3rd party for a special rate not using the Disney 30% (which was still much more $ than the deal we got) But just changing to the value saved me $840....we priced food for our family of 4 and we are expecting to pay $1200.... Which is a budget breaker, so we had to pick and choose either to change hotels, cut back on the water park option or # of days...we opted for the hotel category.

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
amomma23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
I originally booked with a 3rd party for a special rate not using the Disney 30% (which was still much more $ than the deal we got) But just changing to the value saved me $840....we priced food for our family of 4 and we are expecting to pay $1200.... Which is a budget breaker, so we had to pick and choose either to change hotels, cut back on the water park option or # of days...we opted for the hotel category.
We almost took that deal, too. The kicker was we had free dining from a bounce back offer. As much as I really, really wanted to stay at BC, we decided to stick with our bounce back at POR. Next year, though....

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Fab4@disney
Mouseketeer

I think you made a wonderful, unselfish choice You will have a blast no matter where you stay I bet!
Fab4@disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Have a great trip! No matter what resort you stay at you will be in Disney with your family.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Enjoy the value resorts while your kids are still young, and tuck away the savings for the deluxe resorts once they are older and you need more room.

I would love to do the Boardwalk area once the kids are old enough to be able to hang out at the pool or room alone - and we can enjoy some adult time in Epcot or boardwalk in the evenings.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

My kids loved the values when they were young. Have fun the years pass so quick.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
Jen52299
Earning My Ears

We will be staying at the All Star Music the last week of August in the family suite! This will be my 3rd time staying at the ASMU. I have also stayed at the All Star Movies. We have never had any complaints and it is a fun resort. The pool area is great and has lots of lounge chairs. When we stayed at the movies, we paid for the preferred room, which is closer to the main building. We didn't do that for the suites, since they are all in the closer buildings...You will have a great time. I still can't believe that free dining didn't come out for the end of August! I know we shouldn't expect it, but the last 3 times we went we had free dining. Next time I won't book until I know for sure what the discounts are. I am surprised that they didn't at least offer the room discount + discounted tickets at that time.
Jen52299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
KELLY
DIS Veteran

You made a good choice. For us to upgrade to a moderate is 850.00 plus tips. To me it is a lot of money. We have free QSDP dining so food is a non issue for us. But I would rather spend that money on Pl and extras than the room. Plus we will still be able to do a opulent of TS meals that will still be cheaper than the tips we spent.

I wouldn't want it give up my WP option to stay at any hotel. . We have stayed at all levels. So been there done that.

You will have a fab time.

Many Trips the past 6 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: