Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post

LOL - no wonder I could not find the thread. I thought I was losing my mind - not sure what I did. Thanks.
Lol. Glad you found it!
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
Cmbar
DIS Veteran
 
Cmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,594

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja99 View Post
I didn't get an email. We have two spa treatments booked on the Wonder: a facial and a pedicure.

Do you think that they just haven't gotten to everyone yet, or is it perhaps one of the contracts with a specific ship?

If I get the email, I'm canceling. Its not like i booked manis for a party of 10.
I would be curious about this as well since we are on the Wonder in a month.

I am kinda conflicted because on the one hand I love not having to worry about figuring out a tip at the time but on the other hand I don't think this should be mandatory. I really want another Hot Stone massage, but I absolutely hated the "hard sell" of the products it has made me causious about going back.

By the way I had the pedicure on the Magic a few trips back and was very dissappointed. Cost was almost three times what I pay at home for a much better pedicure. I have learned my lesson and get my pedicures right before I leave for a lot less.
__________________
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992


Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
sambycat
DIS Veteran
 
sambycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmbar View Post
I would be curious about this as well since we are on the Wonder in a month.

I am kinda conflicted because on the one hand I love not having to worry about figuring out a tip at the time but on the other hand I don't think this should be mandatory. I really want another Hot Stone massage, but I absolutely hated the "hard sell" of the products it has made me causious about going back.

By the way I had the pedicure on the Magic a few trips back and was very dissappointed. Cost was almost three times what I pay at home for a much better pedicure. I have learned my lesson and get my pedicures right before I leave for a lot less.

i know the idea of the spa is wonderful, but you’ve had the experiences i’ve had - why go back at all?!?!?!

i hope it goes better this time! i’d rather spend the money on a different experince or even amassage or something at home! good luck!
__________________
TDC


sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmbar View Post

I would be curious about this as well since we are on the Wonder in a month.

I am kinda conflicted because on the one hand I love not having to worry about figuring out a tip at the time but on the other hand I don't think this should be mandatory. I really want another Hot Stone massage, but I absolutely hated the "hard sell" of the products it has made me causious about going back.

By the way I had the pedicure on the Magic a few trips back and was very dissappointed. Cost was almost three times what I pay at home for a much better pedicure. I have learned my lesson and get my pedicures right before I leave for a lot less.
I don't think I'd do a pedicure on the ship. I have enjoyed the massage experience though. Can't wait to try the rainforest room on the Fantasy.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
Asnell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 226

I'm curious about this new practice. If someone receives a Villa treatment, part of what you are paying for is the massage, and part of what you are paying for is the time in the villa. Is Disney charging an 18% tip on the entire Villa experience cost, or just 18% of the cost of the massage services?

Left to my own devices, I'd've probably tipped on the standard cost of the massage services, plus an additional amount to whomever did the foot cleansing and/or tea service. But it doesn't make sense to me for Disney to charge a "tip" on the part of the experience that is not provided by personnel...you'd be basically tipping DCL for the privilege of time in their villa.

I'm also not crazy about the assigned 18% number. A quick web search indicates that the accepted standard tip amount is still 15% in the spa/massage industry. I'm not saying people shouldn't/don't go above that for good service, but 15% is standard, not 18%.

If we go through with our reserved services, I'll have to give some thought to how we're going to handle the tipping situation. I guess they are counting on most people not wanting to have to trudge down to Guest Services to adjust their tips just when they are feeling all relaxed and trying to enjoy the vacation!
Asnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
emilyann415
DIS Veteran
 
emilyann415's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asnell View Post
I'm curious about this new practice. If someone receives a Villa treatment, part of what you are paying for is the massage, and part of what you are paying for is the time in the villa. Is Disney charging an 18% tip on the entire Villa experience cost, or just 18% of the cost of the massage services?

Left to my own devices, I'd've probably tipped on the standard cost of the massage services, plus an additional amount to whomever did the foot cleansing and/or tea service. But it doesn't make sense to me for Disney to charge a "tip" on the part of the experience that is not provided by personnel...you'd be basically tipping DCL for the privilege of time in their villa.

I'm also not crazy about the assigned 18% number. A quick web search indicates that the accepted standard tip amount is still 15% in the spa/massage industry. I'm not saying people shouldn't/don't go above that for good service, but 15% is standard, not 18%.

If we go through with our reserved services, I'll have to give some thought to how we're going to handle the tipping situation. I guess they are counting on most people not wanting to have to trudge down to Guest Services to adjust their tips just when they are feeling all relaxed and trying to enjoy the vacation!
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to reduce the tip only increase it if you want.....I think the bar tipping is the same way. At first, when I got the email I was mad but I do always tip at least 20% anyway, more if the service is exceptional so it really doesn't affect me. If it reduces the hard sell of products I will be VERY happy with this change. I hated that more than the auto gratuity. I am guessing that there are people who did not tip or not tip very well and this will correct that. I do not know how much these people get paid but my guess is it is primarily the tips that pays their salary....so as long as the service doesn't suffer I guess I really don't have a problem with this. If the service becomes poor, well then I guess I take my business elsewhere. I won't get all worked up about it until I have my alone time in less than 2 months!
emilyann415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #22
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,271

My mom just forwarded me the email.

I was already considering cancelling for a few reasons (not the least of which being I don't want to give up time on CC), but this just pushed me over the edge. Going to the website to cancel now.

(I have no issues with leaving a gratuity, but let me decide how much and pay it as I see fit. THAT is my big beef.)
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #23
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran
 
disneyfan888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 920

I have expressed how angry I am with this because it is not appropriate etiquette, but to address the why this may be occurring, I do not think it is being based solemnly on people who may not be tipping or under tipping, It may also have to do with the fact that many people were complaining about the hard sales.

I think most of us have probably felt the same way, you want that relaxing massage, but you know that once it is over, they are going to push those products as if your life depended on it. I have gotten a treatment on every cruise. The first time of course I did not know what to expect and since it was my first full massage ever, I bought some of the products. After that I became aware of just how intense they keep pushing the products. The first time I was submerged in the complete experience, first full massage/full massage at castaway so it did not bother me, but it came to a point where I was asking my self, how badly do I want the treatment to undergo this excessive sale torture? It completely ruins the relaxation and mood.

I read on here that people began telling the therapists that if they pushed the sales they would get no tip, this automatic 18% may have to do with this. I never tried this so I do not know if it was effective or not, but now the therapists do not have to worry about whether or no they will be tipped, which means that they can continue to push the products and they know their tip is guaranteed. Very disappointed. I have already cancelled my treatments for our upcoming cruise next Saturday on the Fantasy because forcing the tip on me is not appropriate.

Someone mentioned that it may be possible to adjust the tip, unfortunately if the tip is already preset it cannot be adjusted. Which makes this procedure even worse. One leaves a tip based on the satisfaction of the service, if for whatever reason the service was not good, they still get an automatic 18% tip. This is going to cause people that leave more than the 18% not to leave more than the 18%. The whole thing is wrong and inappropriate and quite frankly a slap in the face, especially to those who always tip. I will be expressing my thoughts to DCL. They claim that they came to this decision on behalf of "guests" who suggested it, yea right. I wonder if on behalf of the guests they will change this ridiculous policy after the loads of complaints that are sure to go there way.

Part 2 of the venting over.
__________________





[




disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #24
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer
 
ThePicketts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cannock, England
Posts: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleluvswdw
I got this and am irked too. I typically leave a 20% tip for spa svcs. As much as I *want* to cancel, I know I'll just rebook onboard cuz the MIL is traveling with us and I'll need it! But, I will not be increasing my tip, that is for sure! 18% it is...
Hahahahaha
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #25
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer
 
ThePicketts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cannock, England
Posts: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS
We have not cruised since 2007. This is the first time I checked in on-line and picked a boarding time. Are they pretty strict with the time chosen?
Kinda
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #26
emilyann415
DIS Veteran
 
emilyann415's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 991

I guess I really just don't see where this outrage is coming from. I've never seen anyone get bent out of shape over the auto gratuity in the bar bills. I've never seen anyone stop eating at restaurants with large groups because of auto tipping. Now, if I continue to get the hard sell with auto gratuity then I will no longer frequent their spas but this "out of principal" thing I just don't get. Auto gratuity has been going on for a long time. I'm not trying to offend anyone but it's not like DCL just reinvented the wheel or anything.
emilyann415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #27
michellekcm
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja99 View Post
I didn't get an email. We have two spa treatments booked on the Wonder: a facial and a pedicure.

Do you think that they just haven't gotten to everyone yet, or is it perhaps one of the contracts with a specific ship?

If I get the email, I'm canceling. Its not like i booked manis for a party of 10.
I'm on the Wonder in August and just got the email today. I'm really disappointed - I just prepaid for my mother to have a massage and now she'll get that gratuity automatically charged to her OBC right?

This frustrates me. Maybe it's because here in Australia we don't have a tipping culture like in the US. But I don't like my expensive massage being even more.

On my last cruise I did tip - I asked the American lady sitting next to me in the waiting room how much I should tip, as I had no clue. I just don't like feeling forced into it.
__________________
michellekcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #28
debsters41
DIS Veteran
 
debsters41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,308

Is this tip added to rainforest room and exotic rasul too? Can someone explain to me why?
__________________


debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #29
the_bUg
Mouseketeer
 
the_bUg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 302

Hrmm... I've been thinking about this a little more, and it's kind of grating on me. I'm only using the $190, 75 min hot stones treatment as my point of reference since it's the only service I've had so far.

Now, at $190 for a 75 minute treatment that works out to 152$ per hour... Now, I'm not sure what Senses pays their employees, but I would imagine out of that 152$ they could muster up $25.00 in wages. Now, let's assume an 18% tip (I tipped higher last cruise, but this is just for arguments sake), which works out to $34.20.

I was also hard sold on a freaking $80.00 bottle of massage oil (which is nice, I've used it a couple times, but...). Let's assume they make a %10 sales commission on a product with that much markup. This would certainly be a couple more dollars. So for my first treatment, using my fuzzy math with a lot of assumptions built in to it, I can guess that my masseur may have taken home upwards of $65.00 for that treatment in total.

This is certainly more money than I can make in an hour at my current job and I can afford yearly cruises and several hundred dollar spa services...

Now, I realize this is not just a money for time equation, and the value of an experience is subjective. It is because of this that I am willing to pay such a high amount for a 75 minute experience. It is also because of this that tipping should be individual and not automatic. If I choose to tip, and tip well, it's my choice. Period.

I am certainly throwing enough money at SENSES SPA and by proxy their employees. Again, if they cannot pay their employees an adequate hourly wage out of the large sums of money I've given them for these experiences, this is NOT my problem nor should I be expected to supplement their employee's income.

I will still tip, based on my subjective valuation, which in both my previous cases, again, was over and above this recommended 18%, once significantly over. However I resent the fact that I cannot show GENUINE appreciation for the service as tipping is now "required".

Choosing to show appreciation through monetary compensation should be an act of volition. Maybe I'm just crazy because I'm Canadian, but this is an important distinction to me.

... For my convenience, my #$&.
__________________

Last edited by the_bUg; 06-13-2013 at 08:00 AM.
the_bUg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan888 View Post
I have expressed how angry I am with this because it is not appropriate etiquette, but to address the why this may be occurring, I do not think it is being based solemnly on people who may not be tipping or under tipping, It may also have to do with the fact that many people were complaining about the hard sales.

I think most of us have probably felt the same way, you want that relaxing massage, but you know that once it is over, they are going to push those products as if your life depended on it. I have gotten a treatment on every cruise. The first time of course I did not know what to expect and since it was my first full massage ever, I bought some of the products. After that I became aware of just how intense they keep pushing the products. The first time I was submerged in the complete experience, first full massage/full massage at castaway so it did not bother me, but it came to a point where I was asking my self, how badly do I want the treatment to undergo this excessive sale torture? It completely ruins the relaxation and mood.

I read on here that people began telling the therapists that if they pushed the sales they would get no tip, this automatic 18% may have to do with this. I never tried this so I do not know if it was effective or not, but now the therapists do not have to worry about whether or no they will be tipped, which means that they can continue to push the products and they know their tip is guaranteed. Very disappointed. I have already cancelled my treatments for our upcoming cruise next Saturday on the Fantasy because forcing the tip on me is not appropriate.

Someone mentioned that it may be possible to adjust the tip, unfortunately if the tip is already preset it cannot be adjusted. Which makes this procedure even worse. One leaves a tip based on the satisfaction of the service, if for whatever reason the service was not good, they still get an automatic 18% tip. This is going to cause people that leave more than the 18% not to leave more than the 18%. The whole thing is wrong and inappropriate and quite frankly a slap in the face, especially to those who always tip. I will be expressing my thoughts to DCL. They claim that they came to this decision on behalf of "guests" who suggested it, yea right. I wonder if on behalf of the guests they will change this ridiculous policy after the loads of complaints that are sure to go there way.

Part 2 of the venting over.
The reasoning that this will reduce the hard sell isn't really sound. If people were saying they were going to withhold a tip if they were given the hard sell caused this, it will if anything only make them MORE likely to do the hard sell as they're now going to get the tip regardless.
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.