Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
ljf398
Earning My Ears

trip insurance

Questions on trip insurance. Want to buy it for our trip in August. Looking at site ***************** and allianz. What package do most of you get - classic/ basic...? When I put in the total value - do I put in just resort/ticket costs or what value do I put in ? Airfare not in that value? Flying southwest.

thanks for any help trying to figure it out!
ljf398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

When we buy disney travel insurance we ensure the entire value of non-refundable portions of our trip. Since you're on SW and you'll get credit, and since tickets are good until first use, I'd go with room only (or room/dining portion of package)

If you have to submit a claim, they'll require proof of payments made, as well as a copy of the contract terms and conditions from your original reservation.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
whatisgoofy?
Mouseketeer

For our upcoming trip, we booked Allianz coverage through our AAA package. We opted for coverage for room, tickets, and our airfare...and the whole thing came to a little over $100 in cost. With the coverage we bought, we're covered for any sort of change-of-life disasters (illness, job loss, family emergencies, and such), weather that postpones travel at least 24hrs, and airline snafus. The only thing that's not covered is voluntary cancellation...but why would we do that ? For us, the big comfort was in the airfare coverage...as long as you haven't completely paid off your package yet, Disney is pretty good about rescheduling (as long as there's availability)...but most airlines have a sizable change fee if you want to switch your dates. That's what worked for us, good luck with your plans!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Janell
DIS Veteran

Sorry posted in wrong place
Janell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
TwoAtDisney
Julie

I suggest you call Allianz for answers, just to be sure. Been a while since we bought trip insurance, but I was always advised that if the entire trip cost is not insured, then the insurance will not cover anything - that is what was in every policy I read too. The reason is that the insurance price is higher when the total cost of the trip is higher. So basically, the price is for much more than will ever be claimed if staying in a Disney resort, since Disney only charges the required deposit amount if cancel or early departure.

Even though the following is not in your question, just in case you're interested, here's what we've discovered -
1. We bought Disney's insurance once. We stayed offsite for a few days after our Disney stay, as we usually do. I pulled a knee tendon, but didn't go to the dr until after our Disney checkout day - didn't think it was that serious & the pain started mild & I thought it would get better. Their insurance only covers while staying at Disney - did not cover for our entire trip, so didn't cover our change air fee + the much higher cost of the new tickets. Not complaining, just want to mention that.

2. AAA - don't have to be a member. Call & can get a "code" to use when calling Allianz. The Allianz insurance is the only one that we found, at a reasonable price, that will cover "Loss of Use" charges by a car rental company.

3. If a Visa card is used when picking up a rental car & car is paid for with a Visa card, Visa insurace for the rental car is included with Loss of Use coverage & coverage for your private insurance deductible. I read this on the online Visa site, & I called Visa & confirmed that our card is included.

4. We fly Southwest & AirTran. Both allow cancellation, with a change fee per ticket, of course. The ticket amount is credited & can be used within 1 year. I think the other airlines are the same.

So, rather than buy expensive insurance that we probably won't use, we figure we can take the gamble & save money by not buying insurance. We can handle the $200 Disney charge, & the airline change fees - especially since in all of our many trips to WDW, we've only had 1 time to pay the Disney $200 & the ticket change fees. Saved more than that by not buying insurance all of those times. Note - Our health insurance covers us anywhere in the U.S. We use a Visa card for the rental car.

Have a happy & safe trip!

Last edited by TwoAtDisney; 06-19-2013 at 10:07 PM.
TwoAtDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
Tink51196
Earning My Ears

We went with Allianz Classic which covered our 15 and 16 year old for free. I spoke with an agent first to fully understand how to figure out the amound I needed to cover.

Park Tickets: I purchased my tickets through Undercover Tourist which allows a refund if you have not signed or activated your tickets, with only a 5% penalty. So instead of having to cover $1,300 worth of tickets, I only insured about $80 dollars worth, knowing I was taking a slight risk once I activated the tickets on our first day of vacation.

Room: I booked room-only, so my room cancellation policy was a bit more lenient than a package deal, but we did insure the whole amount.

I also included the full cost of airfare from Southwest, and our car rental fee .

I think we paid around $75.

Their customer service was very friendly and answered all of my "stupid" questions.

One of the major things to remember. In my case my husband had somewhat of a preexisting heart condition and we had to purchase insurance within 14 days of our first deposit on this trip. So when I put our first nights deposit, I had to decide on insurance within 14 days to cover anything that may have gone wrong with his preexisting condition. Although our own health insurance would cover medical costs, I don't think it would have covered our losses of room or flight.
Tink51196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
DisMama3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoAtDisney View Post

So, rather than buy expensive insurance that we probably won't use, we figure we can take the gamble & save money by not buying insurance. We can handle the $200 Disney charge, & the airline change fees - especially since in all of our many trips to WDW, we've only had 1 time to pay the Disney $200 & the ticket change fees. Saved more than that by not buying insurance all of those times. Note - Our health insurance covers us anywhere in the U.S. We use a Visa card for the rental car.

Have a happy & safe trip!
Just a quick question, you say the insurance is expensive, and pay the $200 plus airline change fees, but the other posters said they only paid &75-100 for insurance. Wouldn't that be the better deal? I am asking honestly as the insurance thing confuses me but we are considering it for our trip this year. We are going in January again. Last January I was a nervous wreck because of the nasty cold and flu season and don't want to take my chances again. Thanks for your help!
DisMama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
sunshyne51404
Earning My Ears

I always book with Disney Travel Insurance. It is 151 for 2 adults and covers our 2 children as well for that cost. I have had Friends that have used and said it was awesome. Actually covered ER trips for there child taht go sick whil on vacation. They also had a delayed flight home and it covered food and hotel until they could get on another flight.
I travel with 2 children on the spectrum and one always gets a little under the while we travel because of his asthma. I have never had to use the insurance myself but seems worth the money just incase.
I was also told by Disney that it covers our Car because we drive down from NJ. If anything happens while travel they will pay for food, shelter, and transportation. Sounds like an added bonus to me.
sunshyne51404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne51404 View Post
I always book with Disney Travel Insurance. It is 151 for 2 adults and covers our 2 children as well for that cost. I have had Friends that have used and said it was awesome. Actually covered ER trips for there child taht go sick whil on vacation. They also had a delayed flight home and it covered food and hotel until they could get on another flight.
I travel with 2 children on the spectrum and one always gets a little under the while we travel because of his asthma. I have never had to use the insurance myself but seems worth the money just incase.
I was also told by Disney that it covers our Car because we drive down from NJ. If anything happens while travel they will pay for food, shelter, and transportation. Sounds like an added bonus to me.
We just used our Disney policy a few weeks ago when our flight (which was not booked through Disney) was canceled. It took another two days to get home. We got a very generous hotel/food allowance that allowed us to continue staying in our deluxe CL room and eat at nice restaurants as we had been doing. Well worth the cost, IMO.
thisismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: