Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #961
Koh1977
DIS Veteran
 
Koh1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadyrose View Post
And I just have to say that I've seen this thread pop up often when I'm on the resort boards but on the mobile app, 96 pages is a lot to read! I am about 15-16 pages and realize that I don't have to be ashamed of my resort changing ways!

The first three trips, we picked a resort and stuck to it....

Then this last December trip came up and between August and September, I changed resorts....4 times...POFQ to WL to Poly CL to GF. I thought I was crazy to keep searching the deals but I now realize I'm not.

This trip we only switched once...Poly to GF. We only did GF for 3 nights in December and never really "stayed" on the grounds since we had 4 days to pack in as much holiday fun as possible (think Clark Griswold on vacation!) The kids are excited to go back though since we can now try the pools out and looks like beach access is back open.

We have friends staying at the Poly who offered to watch our kids one night so hubby and I can go out. Now on arrival day...Victoria and Albert's, here we come!
Welcome!! :-)
__________________
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #962
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
Welcome to the flame free thread!

These days it is pretty it is pretty much impossible to double book - Disney now has their system so well set up to trace a guest that I could not even book a room when my name was the second guest on another reservation. It also found me when I was booked through a TA when I decided I still preferred to handle my own ressies but had not yet canceled with the TA. (Silly me to think after 30 yrs of handing my own reservations that I thought I would be comfortable with a TA for even a few minutes ...the draw of a Disney Gift Card hooked me. ).
Christine

I understand about not being 100% comfortable booking thru a TA. I been thinking if the deals for fall happen to cover my week ( not holding out hope) of booking then canceling with the TA but seems that might not work

Changeing our dates is not feasible since we have our flights. Plus we're saving $102 on our park tickets now after the price increase on 6/2 so if we were to switch it most likely would end up costing us more anyway.

I think I am stuck at the Poly Not a bad place to be stuck at I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadyrose View Post
And I just have to say that I've seen this thread pop up often when I'm on the resort boards but on the mobile app, 96 pages is a lot to read! I am about 15-16 pages and realize that I don't have to be ashamed of my resort changing ways!

The first three trips, we picked a resort and stuck to it....

Then this last December trip came up and between August and September, I changed resorts....4 times...POFQ to WL to Poly CL to GF. I thought I was crazy to keep searching the deals but I now realize I'm not.

This trip we only switched once...Poly to GF. We only did GF for 3 nights in December and never really "stayed" on the grounds since we had 4 days to pack in as much holiday fun as possible (think Clark Griswold on vacation!) The kids are excited to go back though since we can now try the pools out and looks like beach access is back open.

We have friends staying at the Poly who offered to watch our kids one night so hubby and I can go out. Now on arrival day...Victoria and Albert's, here we come!
Cadyrose Love to stay at GF someday but Bob thinks it seems snobbish.

I made an ADR for breakfast at GF Cafe, hopeing to change his mind about staying there. Neither of us has ever stepped foot on GF property before.

It has literally taken me since the early 90's to convince him to stay at the Poly. We went to the Luau and he hated the
Poly

OMG I think it is hotter today than the past few days

I seem to have hit a plateau with my weight loss, stuck at (-18.6lb) 217.4 now and I was hopeing to get down to 200 or less by my trip, but it is not looking good.

Hope All have a great Day !
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #963
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Anyone know what's going on with the WDW Booking site this morning? No matter what dates I put in, only Swolphin comes up. Are they switching over to 2014 packages a bit early maybe? (Thought that was 10 July.) I was just trying to check rack rate availability for BLT/CR in August to get a sense if the military rate might be available if they are available at RR.
Dining reservations was down too when I went over to do some "tweeking" no matter what restaurant I tried it came up with Donald saying page can't be found
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #964
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer
 
Cadyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314

Christine

I understand about not being 100% comfortable booking thru a TA. I been thinking if the deals for fall happen to cover my week ( not holding out hope) of booking then canceling with the TA but seems that might not work

Changeing our dates is not feasible since we have our flights. Plus we're saving $102 on our park tickets now after the price increase on 6/2 so if we were to switch it most likely would end up costing us more anyway.

I think I am stuck at the Poly Not a bad place to be stuck at I guess

Cadyrose Love to stay at GF someday but Bob thinks it seems snobbish.

I made an ADR for breakfast at GF Cafe, hopeing to change his mind about staying there. Neither of us has ever stepped foot on GF property before.

It has literally taken me since the early 90's to convince him to stay at the Poly. We went to the Luau and he hated the
Poly

OMG I think it is hotter today than the past few days

I seem to have hit a plateau with my weight loss, stuck at (-18.6lb) 217.4 now and I was hopeing to get down to 200 or less by my trip, but it is not looking good.

Hope All have a great Day !
We use to think the same thing. We went to dinner at 1900 PF during our WL stay and as we walked through the entrance thought, "we don't belong here". We are not 6 figure a year people and we fell into that line of thinking that it was snotty too.

Than during the great Resort Change of '11, as the deals kept changing and I was crunching the numbers. I started thinking about what was the ultimate Disney resort for Christmas, WL and GF. But I couldn't GF out of my mind from all the Disney holiday specials I've seen. The gingerbread house kept calling to me, so I convinced my husband we should try it since we have already stayed at WL.

It was truly the best trip yet. We were never made to feel out of place. The front desk service was wonderful and so accommodating. It was our daughter's birthday 2 days before we arrived. Mickey and Minnie left gifts of stuffed animals, balloons, coloring books, crayons and signed cards for both her and her brother in our first day. The next day she got ftom the GF staff a chocolate heart filled with homemade M&Ms delivered to our room (had to be home made cause they tasted 1000% better than regular ones!).

It was just really amazing and I learned how wrong I was in my thinking if GF...I'm a convert now. Not that I still won't try other resorts... Poly is still on our to do list as well as an Epcot deluxe but I would always go back to GF in a heartbeat if the deal was good.

Congrats on the weight loss. That's my biggest struggle too. I started running last August and just completed my first 10k but the weight is such a struggle as I love my carbs and sugar especially when I'm stressed...I just need to kick the habit so all this running can pay off!
__________________
Cadyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #965
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer
 
Cadyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314

Dining reservations was down too when I went over to do some "tweeking" no matter what restaurant I tried it came up with Donald saying page can't be found
It has been off the last two days. Some in our August FB group have said that when it does pop back in momentarily, FP+ is showing up as a line under My Reservations. It hasn't stayed consistent yet and not everyone had it on their page but it definitely had the speculating started...
__________________
Cadyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #966
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!
 
Minnie&Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: MA/NC
Posts: 15,702

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK
Anyone know what's going on with the WDW Booking site this morning? No matter what dates I put in, only Swolphin comes up. Are they switching over to 2014 packages a bit early maybe? (Thought that was 10 July.) I was just trying to check rack rate availability for BLT/CR in August to get a sense if the military rate might be available if they are available at RR.
Same thing has been happening to me all morning, Kook. No matter what I try, Swan/Dolphin comes up.

Cadyrose, we absolutely LOVE the GF too - one of the bests trips ever! We had a problem at check in (very weird CM) and had to call the front desk for a room change as soon as we walked into the room - that CM was outstanding! I dropped off a note of thanks to her and one to the front desk manager on our way out that afternoon. The next day we found a gorgeous basket of GF goodies in our room with a card from Mickey and Minnie wishing us a wonderful stay. Very, very nice!

Funny though, I am one of the few who is not fond of the resort during the holidays. Prefer the warmth and peacefulness of the WL (always prefer GF rooms!).
__________________
Christine

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #967
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadyrose View Post
We use to think the same thing. We went to dinner at 1900 PF during our WL stay and as we walked through the entrance thought, "we don't belong here". We are not 6 figure a year people and we fell into that line of thinking that it was snotty too.

Than during the great Resort Change of '11, as the deals kept changing and I was crunching the numbers. I started thinking about what was the ultimate Disney resort for Christmas, WL and GF. But I couldn't GF out of my mind from all the Disney holiday specials I've seen. The gingerbread house kept calling to me, so I convinced my husband we should try it since we have already stayed at WL.

It was truly the best trip yet. We were never made to feel out of place. The front desk service was wonderful and so accommodating. It was our daughter's birthday 2 days before we arrived. Mickey and Minnie left gifts of stuffed animals, balloons, coloring books, crayons and signed cards for both her and her brother in our first day. The next day she got ftom the GF staff a chocolate heart filled with homemade M&Ms delivered to our room (had to be home made cause they tasted 1000% better than regular ones!).

It was just really amazing and I learned how wrong I was in my thinking if GF...I'm a convert now. Not that I still won't try other resorts... Poly is still on our to do list as well as an Epcot deluxe but I would always go back to GF in a heartbeat if the deal was good.

Congrats on the weight loss. That's my biggest struggle too. I started running last August and just completed my first 10k but the weight is such a struggle as I love my carbs and sugar especially when I'm stressed...I just need to kick the habit so all this running can pay off!
We went the week after Thanksgiving last year and GF was 30% off, we were booked at BWI WV so a GV at GF was only something like $50 more for our dates. Like you the gingerbread house was calling to me but because of the construction going on at the time( Gasperilla's was closed) when Bob finally said go ahead and switch if you want I decided to stay with BWI plus I heard the Lobby is too busy with visitors at that time of the year.

I am going to show him what you said about the GF! Thanks!
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #968
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!
 
Minnie&Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: MA/NC
Posts: 15,702

Sheila, the crowds during the holidays is why I will not stay at GF after the decorations go up - it can be extremely crowded in that lobby that time of year. Enough crowds at the parks, thank you!
__________________
Christine

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #969
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer
 
Cadyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314

We went the week after Thanksgiving last year and GF was 30% off, we were booked at BWI WV so a GV at GF was only something like $50 more for our dates. Like you the gingerbread house was calling to me but because of the construction going on at the time( Gasperilla's was closed) when Bob finally said go ahead and switch if you want I decided to stay with BWI plus I heard the Lobby is too busy with visitors at that time of the year.

I am going to show him what you said about the GF! Thanks!
We actually very rarely saw the Lobby during the day when it was the busiest cause we were at the parks. That was what was nice about staying there...we would walk through in the mornings or at night when all the other visitors would ho back to their hotels. By staying there we got to see the lobby at its quietest and it truly is beautiful!
__________________
Cadyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #970
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 603

We love the Grand, definately do not find it snooty. We even made a comment about that this week while we were standing on the balcony looking at the people. I have never felt out of place.
__________________
Me DHDS19 DS15
DL Off-Site - 1968, 1980
WDW Off-Ste - 1972, 1984, 1989, 2002
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
DetTigsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #971
Koh1977
DIS Veteran
 
Koh1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,977

So my TA is checking this afternoon to see if I can still get the summer discounted rate at WL, CR, or Poly for our trip...would only be 6 or 7 nights instead of the 8 though...
__________________
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #972
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
Sheila, the crowds during the holidays is why I will not stay at GF after the decorations go up - it can be extremely crowded in that lobby that time of year. Enough crowds at the parks, thank you!
Christine I am a tad worried about the Poly lobby so many visit for 'Ohana and Kona, Bob loves lobbies, I know wierd but has a lot to do with whether he likes the resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadyrose View Post
We actually very rarely saw the Lobby during the day when it was the busiest cause we were at the parks. That was what was nice about staying there...we would walk through in the mornings or at night when all the other visitors would ho back to their hotels. By staying there we got to see the lobby at its quietest and it truly is beautiful!
Cadyrose We tend to spend a good amount of time during the day at the resort so it would be my luck to hit all the crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
We love the Grand, definately do not find it snooty. We even made a comment about that this week while we were standing on the balcony looking at the people. I have never felt out of place.
DetTigsGal I have read many say that about the GF but it is hard to change a persons opinion once formed, but I am gonna give it a shot during our trip this time. If he enjoys Breakfast at GF Cafe It will help
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #973
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 603

Sheila- this was the first time we stayed GF when it wasn't decorated for Xmas. It was the first thing that struck us, how big it is- w/o the tree and gingerbread house. Really the only days the lobby was busy were July 3 and 4. I walked thru it everyday and there were always people just sitting and men on computers doing work . Hopefully, you go at a slow time and your husband finds it to his liking.
__________________
Me DHDS19 DS15
DL Off-Site - 1968, 1980
WDW Off-Ste - 1972, 1984, 1989, 2002
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
DetTigsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #974
Willows909
Mouseketeer
 
Willows909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 207

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I haven't been on much...Mom is here again and flying out to Texas tomorrow morning to spend time with her sister. So spending all my time with her! I have a lot of reading to do it seems....
Willows909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #975
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!
 
Minnie&Nana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: MA/NC
Posts: 15,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Christine I am a tad worried about the Poly lobby so many visit for 'Ohana and Kona, Bob loves lobbies, I know wierd but has a lot to do with whether he likes the resort.
Sheila, the lobby near Kona and Ohana can get busy at peak meal times but other times it is very peaceful and easy to find chairs facing the pool/lagoon to just sit and/or enjoy an adult beverage. The lower level has seating as well, but no view - although even the second floor view isn't all that to write home about. I love it and find many times when it isn't too busy...it's not lik the old days it s still pretty, peaceful and a million miles from the real world. Of course, most all resorts have lots of visitors these days anyway.
__________________
Christine

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: