Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #2176
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
Hi Jenny and Miss, I think those are both great times. We went with an early time, too, 5:50. I figure they are going to be really busy, so arriving earlier likely means less wait.

Jenny-Is there a lot of planning that goes into a cruise? Are you doing a pre-trippie by chance? I am a total newbie about cruises, so I'm trying to learn. Any thoughts or tips would be so appreciated!

Hi Ginny! So far I really haven't done that much planning, the biggest thing was narrowing down which cruise as DH wasn't too keen at the beginning of all this. Once we figured out what cruise and date, I booked with Dreams Unlimited because they offer a nice OBC. Ours will be $100 but that will pay for a good bulk of the tips (for us the tips will be $180 for a three night, and then whatever extra we wish to give). We had to put down 20% of cruise fare as a deposit.

On Friday is my 75 day mark which is when first time cruisers must be paid in full by and can do online check in. We are not going to be booking many excursions as it is our first time and we want to enjoy the trip. It will go by fast enough I think. I will register the kids for the kids club on Friday online too. We were thinking of booking Palo (adults only restaurant for $20 per person) but maybe next time.

I have booked a night at the COuntry Inn and Suites in Port Canaveral for us the night before the cruise, and we will be renting a car from the airport and either turning it in the night before or morning of the cruise. On the way back to WDW after the cruise I have paid for the DCL bus, just seems so much easier.

That is about all I have done so far. I plan on taking lots of Bonine with us to combat sea sickness whichh is what I am worried about most i think!

I am hoping that DH will love it, because I have my eye on a Nov 2014 7 night sailing on the Fantasy that I would like to book onboard. If you do that you get 10% off the cruise fare, a nice OBC, and only have to put 10% down!

Jen
Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #2177
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
[/B]
Hi Ginny! So far I really haven't done that much planning, the biggest thing was narrowing down which cruise as DH wasn't too keen at the beginning of all this. Once we figured out what cruise and date, I booked with Dreams Unlimited because they offer a nice OBC. Ours will be $100 but that will pay for a good bulk of the tips (for us the tips will be $180 for a three night, and then whatever extra we wish to give). We had to put down 20% of cruise fare as a deposit.

On Friday is my 75 day mark which is when first time cruisers must be paid in full by and can do online check in. We are not going to be booking many excursions as it is our first time and we want to enjoy the trip. It will go by fast enough I think. I will register the kids for the kids club on Friday online too. We were thinking of booking Palo (adults only restaurant for $20 per person) but maybe next time.

I have booked a night at the COuntry Inn and Suites in Port Canaveral for us the night before the cruise, and we will be renting a car from the airport and either turning it in the night before or morning of the cruise. On the way back to WDW after the cruise I have paid for the DCL bus, just seems so much easier.

That is about all I have done so far. I plan on taking lots of Bonine with us to combat sea sickness whichh is what I am worried about most i think!

I am hoping that DH will love it, because I have my eye on a Nov 2014 7 night sailing on the Fantasy that I would like to book onboard. If you do that you get 10% off the cruise fare, a nice OBC, and only have to put 10% down!

Jen
Thank you Jen! That was very helpful!!
I am going to do some backreading at the DIS cruise board when winter sets in here.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #2178
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

. I habs owies!! I was walking outside at my friend's house. There is about 6 inches out and 6 inches down to the back porch of f concrete after her sliding glass door. I guess I just went to put my foot straight onto back porch and went down full force on the edge in the middle part of my foot. Luckily I caught myself with my elbow. Now my right foot hurts with every step and my elbow hurts.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #2179
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
. I habs owies!! I was walking outside at my friend's house. There is about 6 inches out and 6 inches down to the back porch of f concrete after her sliding glass door. I guess I just went to put my foot straight onto back porch and went down full force on the edge in the middle part of my foot. Luckily I caught myself with my elbow. Now my right foot hurts with every step and my elbow hurts.
Aw hugs Wookie!! Hope you feel better soon!!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #2180
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Wookie, get to the Ibu... STAT! (Filling in for Jeanette. I say that for everything though. Need stock in ibuprofen, seriously.)

Back in a tick to post a more-lengthy reply after I pick up Miss M.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #2181
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think 5:15 is better Miss, our Cali Grill is at 5:30 ish in November too. I must get myself started on torture sessions soon, just where to fit them in!!
Thanks, Jen. I think we'll probably ditch the other reservation -- I've got three at the moment: CG for appetizers (5:05), Bluezoo for drinks and main meal (6:15) then back to CG for dessert and fireworks (9:10)? I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it before.

Quote:
Hi Jenny and Miss, I think those are both great times. We went with an early time, too, 5:50. I figure they are going to be really busy, so arriving earlier likely means less wait.
Ah yes, hoping the wait time is nil. Of course, I've also told myself that I want to put Miss M's hair in curlers for her surprise breakfast the next morning. The 9:10 time and that was just crazy.

I forgot to share a pic of Miss M for our non-FB folks... from the first day of 1st grade:

Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #2182
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Thanks, Jen. I think we'll probably ditch the other reservation -- I've got three at the moment: CG for appetizers (5:05), Bluezoo for drinks and main meal (6:15) then back to CG for dessert and fireworks (9:10)? I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it before.

Ah yes, hoping the wait time is nil. Of course, I've also told myself that I want to put Miss M's hair in curlers for her surprise breakfast the next morning. The 9:10 time and that was just crazy.

I forgot to share a pic of Miss M for our non-FB folks... from the first day of 1st grade:

So miss that age!!!

This is all I got when I panicked and realized I didn't have a first day pic and texted for one.

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #2183
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Don't blink miss....You will be here soon! So enjoy every cuddle!

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #2184
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono

So miss that age!!!

This is all I got when I panicked and realized I didn't have a first day pic and texted for one.
Love that she texted you a first day pic. She's gorgeous, Trisha.

Yep, totally agreed. Even after a bit of a hectic evening full of drama with screaming crying over an escaped Houdini dog (got her back after a frantic few minutes) ... sneaked a few extra hugs in at bedtime. (Child, not mutt. LOL) And I'm not proud, gonna go in and check on her later. Hehehe.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #2185
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Miss: She is adorable...there is just something about those eyes!

Trish: What a grown up beauty you have there.

I am slightly panicking as I don't have my girls school supplies yet, or their Girl Guide uniforms! Or footwear....or a new raincoat for DD9, YIKES!! I think I have been in denial about our summer of relaxation coming to an end.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #2186
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Trish: What a grown up beauty you have there.

I am slightly panicking as I don't have my girls school supplies yet, or their Girl Guide uniforms! Or footwear....or a new raincoat for DD9, YIKES!! I think I have been in denial about our summer of relaxation coming to an end.
Thanks!

Summer is pretty much over and I haven't purchased anything for ds16 either

Dd loves to shop so I will do that with her when she COMES HOME THIS WEEKEND!!!

Ds likes sissy to shop for him

Last edited by trishadono; 08-28-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #2187
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Wookie, get to the Ibu... STAT! (Filling in for Jeanette. I say that for everything though. Need stock in ibuprofen, seriously.)

Back in a tick to post a more-lengthy reply after I pick up Miss M.
That you. I didn't get to take anything until I got home. Then my mil had me ice it for 15 minutes every hour. My foot doesn't hurt as much, but the elbow does. I keep telling my DH that the longer we live with his parents the more like his mom I become. Since moving in here, I've had more issues with heart burn, acid reflux, IB, leg cramps, and now I've hurt my elbow.

Quote:

She is so pretty. I hope she has been able to find some friends in her new class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
So miss that age!!!

She's beautiful!!

Quote:
Don't blink miss....You will be here soon! So enjoy every cuddle!
I remember when I was the age of my DSs and I though it was taking forever to grow up. Now that I'm a mom, it seems like life has been on fast forward.

Since my friend's in home day care is going to be low today, I don't have to work. Which is a good thing for me to not have to lift any babies today. I'm going to try and get caught up on some laundry I got behind on while our washer was down. The DSs had a good first day of school. JM even has his favorite cousin in one of his classes.

Today is the single digit dance day for the start of our trip, but we still have 11 days until our AKL check in.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #2188
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Miss-Miss M is so cute! They grow so fast, I bet you can't believe she's already in 1st grade. Wishing her a wonderful year!

Trish-She's lovely! Know you are so proud of your college freshman!

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #2189
Janet B
DIS Veteran

Happy Hump Day Peeps!!

[btw thinking of hump day reminds of the geico commerical...gotta love that camel!! Woohoo!]

Quote:
Janet: $650 is great! They do sound like a wonderful group of kids, I hope my girls make some good friend like that when they are in high school. I will encourage band and school clubs for sure. They are already joining lots of clubs in their school, and the opportunities will only be better as they get older I think! We were talking this morning and the older two want to do Dance club, choir and Eco-club.
Jen, they are a great group of kids. So happy that she is loving the experience and is committed to the Band. My DS did not get involved much and it hurt him as a result.

Encouraging the girls now will set the tone for the middle/HS years, when it will be just as important to be involved. Those activities sound fun!

and its great that your DD4 is getting to do her own thing!

Quote:
Oh MY! Makes me sad (and scared) just reading that. One day, they're holding your hand... and the next, going to pool parties!
Miss, it is bittersweet for me....I'm happy for Sam that she is transitioning well and is making new friends....our school district is large and the HS massive, so makiing a connection is so important. We joke and say that Sam is the most socially adapted member of the family...

BTW, always love seeing pix of our Miss M! The pix rocks as usual (well look at the subject )

Quote:
I'm doing all the things I've put off all summer... like sitting around and daydreaming. (Well, whilst doing laundry, making dinner, doing the shopping ALONE and going to torture sessions.)
btw I've been keeping up with the self inflicted Y sessions myself...although I miss my buddy.

Quote:
Love the eating tour!!

Quote:
So miss that age!!!

Trish, gorgeous pix of your young woman! Gotta love those selfies! Sam has a zillion of them!

Quote:
Jen, we have NO supplies either... Sam has been trying to finish summer projects and of course had her band the last 4 weeks...of course I was encouraging to do it in July ... that didn't go over well.

Last night I was at Wal-mart for something else and wandered over to the school stuff...the princess likes to pick out her own stuff, but I did get 2 book covers...brought them home and she said, "oh you can return them I have some from last year" ... so much for trying to be of help!

Quote:
Thanks!

Summer is pretty much over and I haven't purchased anything for ds16 either

Ds likes sissy to shop for him
for your DD coming home this weekend!

Quote:
That you. I didn't get to take anything until I got home. Then my mil had me ice it for 15 minutes every hour. My foot doesn't hurt as much, but the elbow does. I keep telling my DH that the longer we live with his parents the more like his mom I become. Since moving in here, I've had more issues with heart burn, acid reflux, IB, leg cramps, and now I've hurt my elbow.

I remember when I was the age of my DSs and I though it was taking forever to grow up. Now that I'm a mom, it seems like life has been on fast forward.
Wookie, you are right on with that statement.

Happy that the boys had good first days of school. Try to relax and rest that foot today.

Check out the Grooviest FAQ thread here: POP Century FAQ Thread

TY Kook!

Last edited by Janet B; 08-28-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Janet B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #2190
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Good afternoon, ladies!

Has anyone heard from our Linda, has she arrived? And our Jeanette? I hope our scholarly leader isn't buried under a mountain of homework.

I_Heart: Are you all booked in now... with no changes? GF, GF, GF!

Quote:
Thanks!
The weekend plans sound excellent! Just got back from picking up random things I really don't need.

Quote:
Stresssssss. You need you some Disney. Perfect cure for what ails ya.

Quote:
She is so pretty. I hope she has been able to find some friends in her new class.
Thank you. So far, so good. She seems to mention a couple of different names of new girls she chats with at lunch. She's been complaining about being bored though.

Quote:
Miss-Miss M is so cute! They grow so fast, I bet you can't believe she's already in 1st grade. Wishing her a wonderful year!
Thank you, Ginny. I swear it was just yesterday we were boarding a plane on a big adventure with her to move to the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet B View Post
Miss, it is bittersweet for me....I'm happy for Sam that she is transitioning well and is making new friends....our school district is large and the HS massive, so makiing a connection is so important. We joke and say that Sam is the most socially adapted member of the family...
I'm happy for her. Sounds a lot like the HS here. They're massive, huge campuses -- would take 5 of my high schools to equal the size of the ones here. Insane. We say the same about Miss M -- she has far more of a social life than we do.

Quote:
BTW, always love seeing pix of our Miss M! The pix rocks as usual (well look at the subject)
Thank you.

Quote:
btw I've been keeping up with the self inflicted Y sessions myself...although I miss my buddy.
Wish we were closer!

Quote:
Thank you, Jen.

Quote:
Yep! I forgot about the footwear. Realized she'd grown 2 shoe sizes since June and started freaking out. Is it hard to find raincoats this time of year? There seems to be a lack of them outside spring here. (Huge difference from the U.K. where they're available ALL year long. ) We're lucky with the actual in-class supplies; the PTA here offers boxes of all the very-precise prerequisite supplies all ready to go. Takes a serious load off my mind. Those supply lists are so particular it makes my head spin.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: