Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #196
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT4Dis View Post
Because I am new to this thread I would like to know what makes you choose the resorts you do and once you choose what makes you swap and choose a different one?

My WDW background is: the Contemporary was my first real WDW vacation and I picked it and never wavered, June of last year was offsite because my sister and I were traveling with 5 children and it was the most economical way to put us all in one room, March of this year I had to choose value because we went with family and I chose AoA because it was new.

My upcoming trip is the first time I have ever wavered and considered more than 1 resort. I am torn between WL, AKL and BWI for very different reasons and am having a hard time deciding what reason should override the others.

What most important factor helps you decide...is it cost, location, food, pools? I have 9 days until I plan to book and my brain is burning more cells than I have to spare.
Hi! For us it is location, transportation, and overall magic, but now pools too! I guess everything!

But really, we stayed at the Poly twice and loved the ease of transportation. With little ones it could not be beat, and was worth the extra cost. Now that we have tried the Beach Club, we love it too due to its wonderful location too! I guess for us it boils down to convenience and if we can afford that convenience we will stay at that particular resort!

I am not much help am I??
Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #197
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Melissa I hope you're better today, if not get lots of rest

Sheila, much love and a big hug !

Sis....I love you!!!

An rc will happen, it will be bwi or bc. Dh wants something different. I mentioned wl or akl, he said ill never leave. He's probably right.....
Jeanette AKL is Definately different. I think the kids would really like it there and they have some great activities for the kids. I want to stay there again so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willows909 View Post
Good morning! Thank you jennyjinx3 for that quote...so beautiful!
Well 20 days til BC and counting! But I am trying to contain myself...as I've cancelled 3 times since May...but soo hopeful this time will click! Husband is hopeful as well since the project is starting to wind down. I love this board...and all of you! Hope everyone is doing well. Laundry and yard stuff today and lurking on the boards of course. Since yesterday was the last day for "room only" discounts, I think I am all set with my split. Have a great Saturday everyone!!
Willow 20 Days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
So I'm thinking about doing the ToT 10K in 2014. I think it's in Oct???? Anyone else thinking about doing it? When do sign ups usually come out??? I really need to get off my bottom and do something!!! DH and I used to walk 1/2 marathons but that's too long for me and 5K might be a little short .... maybe we should get an RC group together .....
GG Can I ride my scooter?

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #198
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I'm thinking about doing the ToT 10K in 2014. I think it's in Oct???? Anyone else thinking about doing it? When do sign ups usually come out??? I really need to get off my bottom and do something!!! DH and I used to walk 1/2 marathons but that's too long for me and 5K might be a little short .... maybe we should get an RC group together .....
Linda, I need to do something like that for motivation! Walking a 10K sounds doable No way my shredded knee will let me run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
I am SO behind after being MIA yesterday most of the day due to car issues... :-/

But hello to all!! :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Oh no, I hope the car isnt too bad...hate those expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
I am having a hard time keeping up with this thread

WDWKOOK - looks as though you're having lots of fun on your vacation

pas130 - I cannot figure out where you are staying??

Grumpy Grandma - You should definitely go for it! I think registration starts in February

jennyjinx3 - I cried my eyes out. Wonderful story
Dont worry about keeping up with us at all, we just like to chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
After looking at the GFC dinner menu, it seems they have mushroom risotto there as well. After talking to the DH, I canceled the lunch ADR at Ragland Road, and the dinner one at The Wave. Now the plan is to check into the AKL, go to the MK until the we have to leave for our 5:15 PM ADR. My new question is, do you think a 5:15 ADR will have us back at the MK for the 9 PM Electrical parade? I have never seen it and it is on my must do list for this trip.

Well I'm just waiting on the dryer to get done, and John to take a shower, and then we're going to see the "Man of Steel" movie. Then I have to go to the store to buy the stuff I need to make my homemade lasagna tomorrow.
I think if you have a 5:15pm ADR at GFC you will be fine. Even if dinner takes a full two hours, that is 7:15pm and you are only one stop away on the monorail. I would imagine even with wait times and getting back into the park, you would be picking out your spot for the parade by 8pm.

Hope you enjoyed the movie. Andrew saw it and said it was good, not fabulous, but good. Have fun making the lasagna today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willows909 View Post
Good evening everyone! I have my room requests in for AKL, and I couldn't be happier...they sure make you feel pampered with all their e mails and attention before you even get there! I am so excited....20 days! Hopefully, fingers crossed we won't have to postpone this reservation! I am going to sign off and watch my Bruins (hope it's not a triple overtime tonight!)....have a good night everyone!
Well, not triple OT, but still OT. Its all good though because we won Glad you got your requests in for AKL and they are being so attentive

Quote:
Because I am new to this thread I would like to know what makes you choose the resorts you do and once you choose what makes you swap and choose a different one?

My WDW background is: the Contemporary was my first real WDW vacation and I picked it and never wavered, June of last year was offsite because my sister and I were traveling with 5 children and it was the most economical way to put us all in one room, March of this year I had to choose value because we went with family and I chose AoA because it was new.

My upcoming trip is the first time I have ever wavered and considered more than 1 resort. I am torn between WL, AKL and BWI for very different reasons and am having a hard time deciding what reason should override the others.

What most important factor helps you decide...is it cost, location, food, pools? I have 9 days until I plan to book and my brain is burning more cells than I have to spare.
WARNING....about to write a novel

Well up until this past year we stayed mostly at values, mods, and off site, with an occasional deluxe thrown in. But last summer I decided since we were not taking a big vacation like we usually do that I was going to book all deluxes. So then starts the whole decision process of which one is best and why.

We decided we wanted BC or YC first for SAB Because they are sister resorts and the same price I let the kids pick which one they wanted based on room photos. They chose YC and we loved it! We had an awesome view of Crescent Lake and the wedding gazebo, loved walking to Epcot, the ferrys to DHS and the Boardwalk. There is something about that area we just love The only downside was the lack of QS though. Hurricane Hannah's was closed while we were there and the BC Marketplace was a hike.

We had booked another stay at YC but since our end goal was to try to find the perfect resort for us for our Feb trip which would be a longer trip for us, we switched our next trip to WL. I knew WL would save us some money and put us closer to the MK. The kids loved the idea of the bunk beds, so that was a plus too! WL came up short for my family, they just didn't feel the love. The rooms felt more cramped, the walk to the boat dock was very buggy, and they just didn't feel the magic. But every time we passed the CR my son begged us to book there. DH and I had no interest in staying there. We had walked through and DH felt like he was in an airport, not a resort. But to make the kiddos happy we said what the heck and booked it for our Dec stay.

CR quickly became our favorite. Now DH and I still like the atmosphere at the YC better (and the price), but with my kiddos, CR wins hands down. Access to the monorail, walking to the MK, everything under one roof, and the views are what does it for us We absolutely love the compactness of the resort and having so many options right there.

So the short version of my long winded answer is location and convenience

Melissa

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #199
TT4Dis
Mouseketeer

Melissa - thanks so much for the input on how to choose. I did love CR when we stayed there and would definitely stay again, but for our upcoming trip only tower rooms are available and with us needing 2 rooms, I just can't pay that much. That also means BC, BWI, Poly and GF are also out.

Here are my thoughts on my 3 choices for Sept:

AKL- love the theming, looks like there are neat activities for kids during the day, opportunity to see animals, nice pool area/splash area for kids. Also is our cheapest option. Only con is see is length of bus ride to MK.

WL - not crazy about room decor, but ability to take boat to MK makes it a contender. Pool looks like kids would enjoy it and I still need to look into what type of activities there would be for kids during the day.

BWI (1 deluxe CL) - only about $35 more a night than WL and we could experience club level. We could also walk to BC from here to try out Beaches and Cream. This is my sister's dream resort so that's a plus. Puts us all in one room which can be either a pro or a con Con is creepy clown slide but kids may like it.

I also tend to factor in where we will most likely stay for future trips and I know that is putting the cart before the horse but do your potential future stays impact your current decisions?

Nov 28-Dec 4, 2010 CR

June 7-16, 2012 Offsite
March 23-28, 2013 AoA LM
TT4Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #200
Willows909
Mouseketeer

Goodmorning everyone...and ARGGGHHH everything I typed disappeared after my network connection decided to take a break...ugh.

So....

Babyberger..Melissa right? I am finally starting to get to know you all..slow going..I am not getting any younger and those beloved Bruins of mine are not helping with all their overtimes....But yay, nice win

sjs314....I am so excited ....BC, AK here we come!!

Koh1977...we finally had to wave the white flag on our old Taurus, and we are looking for another car...hope your car issues are minor!

Grumpygrandma (Linda?? right?)...Even thinking about 5k or 10k makes me tired..that's not a good thing.....

TT4Dis...After all my searching and reading, I am absolutely thrilled to be staying at AKL and so excited about CL there...it is definitely a huge splurge financially.... Since we are not going to any parks this time around, I can sorta kinda justify it..that we can really just explore the resort and enjoy all of it.
Willows909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #201
Willows909
Mouseketeer

TT4Dis....I was afraid to look at BWI...afraid I'd change my mind again But will definitely look for my next trip...and probably will look at moderates next time too...to help with the budget..(that certainly got thrown out the window this time!)....
Willows909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #202
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:

This will only be our 4th trip as a family.

CBR - this was our first trip as a family and I used a TA. Honestly, I don't think we looked at any resorts. I just remember telling her I wanted to book a Disney World vacation and our dates. The only thing I did was book a Chef Mickey's breakfast.

WL - this was our 2nd trip and I had found the DISboards by this time, I think. I booked it mainly because I loved the look of the resort. When I was in middle school/ high school, we would take family vacations to Estes Park, CO, so I love the mountains. The WL was like the best of both worlds, a WDW vacation with a mountain lodge feel.

Pop Century - this was our trip this past June and it was all about the budget. I knew we had to do a value and I remembered reading that the All Stars shared busing, but the Pop didn't share with anyone.

AKL - this if for our trip this September. The resort went through many changes before landing on the BC with a Garden View. I was totally set on that resort/ room category, and then FD came out. The resort/room category we had booked wasn't on the offer. I had always wanted to stay at the AKL, and the DH said this was my one chance.

Quote:
I also tend to factor in where we will most likely stay for future trips and I know that is putting the cart before the horse but do your potential future stays impact your current decisions?
It depends really. One all the trips before this one, future trips didn't play a part of picking our the resort for the most current one. However, on this trip, I knew it would be a while before we went back to WDW. The DH said we wouldn't go back until it was time to celebrate our 80th wedding anniversary, but I'm saying that I'll stay away only until the Star Wars Land expansion of DHS to complete. For that reason, I didn't want the last resort I stayed at WDW for a while to be a value. I wanted some place really special.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #203
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
I think if you have a 5:15pm ADR at GFC you will be fine. Even if dinner takes a full two hours, that is 7:15pm and you are only one stop away on the monorail. I would imagine even with wait times and getting back into the park, you would be picking out your spot for the parade by 8pm.

Melissa
ok, I know I clicked to comment on this with my other post, but it got lost some how. I blame getting a max of 4 hours of sleep and now being upright only due to high levels of caffeine.

Thank you. I assumed we would be ok, but you know what they say about assuming.

I wish y'all could smell my kitchen right now. It smells like Italian Heaven in here. I'm letting the sauce simmer for another hour before waking the DH to do his taste-testing duties. I can tell y'all how I make it, but there is no exact recipe. A lady, who I used to work with, that grew up in Italy taught me to make it this way.

6 lbs of ground beef (I always use the most lean so like the 93/7% stuff)
3 lbs of Italian sausage (I use the mild, but you can use the hot if you wanted)
I usually brown them in separate pans, drain and then add them to a huge bowl or pot. Then I break them meat up and mix it together.
Then in a large stock pot, I coat the bottom with good olive oil and add at least 1 Tbs of garlic (I just use to already chopped up in a bottle garlic, so my hands don't smell for days).
Then I add 1 chopped medium to large onion (I use yellow onion because it doesn't make me cry).
When the onion is looking kinda see-through I add 2 lbs of mushrooms and more olive oil to coat the shrooms.
At this time I also add a little Mediterranean Basil and Oregano.
Then I add 6 of the largest cans of tomatoes (3 crushed and 3 puree).
I let it simmer a little while, taste and then add olive oil, basil, oregano, salt, sugar as needed. Between adding more spices, I let it simmer at least 20 minutes before adding more.
Sometimes, I add a little tomato paste, and sometimes I don't. It just depends on how thick the sauce is. I like it really thick, so when I use the no-boil noddles, there is no liquid left over in the pan when you take some out of the pan of lasagna. I can come back and post a picture of the sauce later, if y'all would like.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 06-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #204
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

TT4dis- here's our story. When we first started going on a regular basis - 1995- we chose CR garden wing. Our oldest was 3 at the time and the walkway to MK was a huge factor for us- also I had always wanted to stay there. We loved it and continued until it became BLT. The trip after "our wing" was knocked down when stayed in the other wing and liked it, but not quite the same. Anyway, the next time I went to book there were no garden view wing rooms available. I asked, what do you want to do? My DH said, I've always wanted to stay at GF and we booked. Marina view sago key...was our request and we loved it. When I booked last year for Thanksgiving, I booked GF again. Then, I started reading about the construction. I decided we needed something else, CR tpv, BWI CL ?? It ended up being WLCL and we loved it , too! It reminded us alot of the old faithful inn in Yellowstone and we throughly enjoyed our stay there. This trip as I booked, my husband asked if it was back to the GF, said yes, courtyard pool and Gasparillas are open. He was very happy, as were the boys. We are looking forward to checking in on June 25!!
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
DetTigsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #205
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

DetTigGal: Whoo hoo! June 25 is almost here! Your countdown is on!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #206
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am going to do it too "Oh Captain, my Captain"! It should be at the beginning of October and sign ups at the beginning of the new year. I did the 15 K Minnie Marathon and to my mind it is the perfect length!
Here is a video of some of our photos from our girl's trip
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #207
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3
DetTigGal: Whoo hoo! June 25 is almost here! Your countdown is on!
We drive down and have a couple of stops on the way...leave noon on Friday! Justin has exams thru Wednesday, exempted out of the Thursday one. There are five other families we know that will be there part of the time we are- found out another one tonight. Last day of school is Friday and everyone is getting the heck out of town! It was a looooong winter and 7 inches of rain in the last week! Come on summer!!!
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
DetTigsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #208
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Ok, so I don't think I caught everything between Friday and tonight, BUT I did read most of the posts I think!! :-)

So, Friday after I was done teaching summer school, I was on the highway on my way home (about a 15 minute drive total) and the radio turned off, lights on the dash all started coming on and all the gauges suddenly dropped to 0. Had to quickly pull over to the shoulder so as not to get rear ended when I completely lost all power. Couldn't even put my hazards on.

DH came and called a tow truck to get it o the dealership. Still under warranty so it should cover it. They are pretty certain it was the alternator. It went out and so I was running completely off battery and when that was used up, the car was done. Charged the battery up just fine, and the alternator should be ale to be changed out by Tuesday. Until then I get to drive DH's car. :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #209
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Melissa - thanks so much for the input on how to choose. I did love CR when we stayed there and would definitely stay again, but for our upcoming trip only tower rooms are available and with us needing 2 rooms, I just can't pay that much. That also means BC, BWI, Poly and GF are also out.

Here are my thoughts on my 3 choices for Sept:

AKL- love the theming, looks like there are neat activities for kids during the day, opportunity to see animals, nice pool area/splash area for kids. Also is our cheapest option. Only con is see is length of bus ride to MK.

WL - not crazy about room decor, but ability to take boat to MK makes it a contender. Pool looks like kids would enjoy it and I still need to look into what type of activities there would be for kids during the day.

BWI (1 deluxe CL) - only about $35 more a night than WL and we could experience club level. We could also walk to BC from here to try out Beaches and Cream. This is my sister's dream resort so that's a plus. Puts us all in one room which can be either a pro or a con Con is creepy clown slide but kids may like it.

Hi TT4Dis! My thoughts are, I've enjoyed trying new resorts on our trips. Our family favourite so far has been AKL club level. I've stayed there in Jan 2008, and Sept 2009. My teen boys (at the time) even love it there! My youngest son and I went for a trip when he was 15 in Feb 2011 and stayed club level at the Beach Club. We didn't fall in love with it, I don't know why, and we wished we'd gone back to AKL....we stuck it out, but it's not my favourite resort. Our most recent trip we stayed at the Poly club level in oct 2012. With my BFF, my 20 yo son and my 16 yo. We didn't fall in love with it either....I think it was the winding paths and detached long houses, I don't know -- it didn't feel like home yet! So.... There's really only 2 more resorts I want to try, in jan/Feb 2015 I'm taking myself, my then 18 yo son, his 18 yo GF, and my DH to celebrate DS18's graduation. I'm fiddling between a 1 BDRM at Kidani for the king bed, washing machine in my room, and extra bathroom and BWI deluxe CL for the location to our favourite park (DHS) and favourite eats (Epcot wsc) -- It will be really hard for me to give up club level if I stay at Kidani, but I'm thinking of adding deluxe ddp if we stay at Kidani. Otherwise it'll be location and CL at BWI.
I don't think you could go wrong at either AKL or BW....both are great resorts. What's most important to you? Location? Peace and tranquility and exceptional club level experience (AKL) -- although I've heard amazing things about BWIs CL too!
It's a hard choice! You need to choose what fits your trip best.

Writing all this to you is helping me too to figure out what's important to me and my young adults. At this moment I'm thinking club level and location would be their thing, and BWI deluxe room has the slight edge..,,,but it's still aways to go till my decision needs to be final! I am a RCer after all

Good luck deciding
Marie

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #210
letthewookiewin

I hope everyone had a great day. I made two huge pans of lasagna, one with black olives and one without. We had a ton left over. Poor John Michael didn't get to eat any, because he's been sick all day. I feel sorry for the guy, but it's really his own fault.

We (the fil, mil, DH, sil, and her hubby) were just sitting around talking. Then the mil got a call and two of my fil's sister's had been in an accident. Luckily, they are ok, just sore and whiplash.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: