Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran
 
OhioStateBuckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,021

Worst resort experience ever

Well, I never thought I'd be one of those people on here venting and ranting about an awful Disney hotel experience. But here I am...

We started our trip at All Star Sports during Pop Warner. Which, oddly enough, is not what my rant is about. That hotel experience was pretty good. It looked like the front desk people did a good job putting people in rooms that didn't face the inner courtyards. Which was a good thing because we were in football 10 (our other party was in football 7) and the field was packed every day/night with kids playing football. Besides the influx of kids we didn't have any issues there.

Here is where the awfulness happened.

I had booked the last 2 nights of our trip at a Pirate room for my BF's 30th birthday, since he loves the Pirates movies.

We got to CB to check in around 7:30 pm.

I notice that the room papers and assignment say a standard room. I ask the front desk CM if we didn't get a Pirate room. She said we had been switched to a standard room about a week before. I was confused and said I didn't ask to downgrade, could we speak to a manager.

So a woman comes over, she said the resort had been overbooked because of Pop Warner so about a week before our reservation had been switched to a standard room and we had been credited back the difference.

I was pretty shocked at this point, I had no idea you could get downgraded from the room type you had booked and paid for. I asked if there wasn't anything that could be done and that I had booked the room special.

She told me that there was one Pirate room available and it was being held for a family with 3 kids that had yet to check in. And also that since we just were staying for 2 nights that they would rather satisfy the guests' reservations who were staying for a longer time. I just kept telling her that was not acceptable. I was not yelling or mean, though I do believe I was visibly pretty upset. I asked if there was nothing she could do so she said she would go into the back.

While she was gone I apologized to our original CM and let her know I was not blaming her or upset with her in any way.

The other woman came back, and in a super condescending tone told me that since I 'had to have my pirate room' that she was going to bump the family with the 3 kids and she would just have to deal with them later.

We completed the rest of check in with me pretty much not saying a word, since I felt awful and the whole experience had been a giant mess.

When we got to our room I immediately called guest services and asked to speak to someone so I could relay my experience. Imagine my surprise when I got on the phone with the top CB manager and she informed me that it was their policy, when downgrading guests, to comp them the first night free or to give them a better room in a different hotel for the same price. She also said she'd been in the back on a phone call during the experience and that she heard a different manager tell the woman that they had plenty of Pirate rooms that had opened up and to go ahead and give us one. So that was nice that the woman came back and lied to make us feel bad about taking the room from the kids. The manager said that the woman shouldn't have said half those things and that they would talk about it.

The next day we were surprised to find a little sorcerer mickey, some balloons, a card and some chocolate in the room. That was a pretty nice gesture...but I dunno. I still have a pretty bad taste in my mouth from the whole experience. I didn't think I was mean at all, yet for some reason the woman felt the need to lie about me taking the room from some little kids. Not only that, but I was trained in customer service at a movie theater and at target (which I expect Disney to be loads better at than) and I know better than to say half the things the woman told us.

Whole experience just kind of made me feel awful, so I just wanted to vent about it on here.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran
 
APiratesLifeForMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,082

Sometimes it feels good just to vent!! I am so sorry that experience happened. Not a very Disney experience, but I am glad you had the opportunity to talk with the CB manager.
__________________


1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Disney Frenhines
Mouseketeer
 
Disney Frenhines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 439

I seem to have an issue with room allocation. I'm a solo traveller and every time I arrive I get a room as far possible from everything even though I have requested a room as close to the main building as possible, and everytime I check in and request a closer room one is always available. I have a gammy knee and at the end of a long day of walking around the parks the last thing I want is a long walk in the dark to the outer reaches late at night.
Disney Frenhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran
 
ArwenMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,847

Ugh that stinks. I hate that she gave you a guilt trip about the family with the three kids...like you are the one crushing the dreams of three little kids, not the hotel for messing up and overbooking.

Our worst experience on our last trip regarding CMs was at the front-desk. I really think they are all totally burnt out from this MB stuff.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place
 
LilyWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,277

I am so sorry that you had to deal with that. That woman's attitude was unacceptable no matter what hotel you were checking into. However, I am glad that you spoke up as soon as possible to make people aware of what was happening. That is the best way to deal with this. I am also glad to see that Disney was willing to step up and do something.

And can I say THANK YOU for being so nice to the original CM and even explaining that you were in no way blaming her and that you understood it was out of her hands? That never happens and it can really help in these situations.
__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/


LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran
 
Viva Las Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,187

I think you did the right thing calling guest services immediately, I would be furious if I reserved a special room only to be told they didn't have one. The way the manager handled it only made it worse.

I get why companies overbook but really wish they'd stop, bumping a paying customer with a reservation should be unacceptable anywhere but especially at Disney where they are supposed to have higher standards.

I'm glad they were able to take care of you but it's pathetic you had to deal with it in the first place.
__________________
Faith makes things possible, not easy.
Viva Las Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,152

Wow that woman was a witch! It is bad enough to be bumped (been there myself twice), but for her to lie and make you feel bad is horrible. Unacceptable.

I'm glad you called and they at least tried to make up for it.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
ready123go
DIS Veteran
 
ready123go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
Well, I never thought I'd be one of those people on here venting and ranting about an awful Disney hotel experience. But here I am...

We started our trip at All Star Sports during Pop Warner. Which, oddly enough, is not what my rant is about. That hotel experience was pretty good. It looked like the front desk people did a good job putting people in rooms that didn't face the inner courtyards. Which was a good thing because we were in football 10 (our other party was in football 7) and the field was packed every day/night with kids playing football. Besides the influx of kids we didn't have any issues there.

Here is where the awfulness happened.

I had booked the last 2 nights of our trip at a Pirate room for my BF's 30th birthday, since he loves the Pirates movies.

We got to CB to check in around 7:30 pm.

I notice that the room papers and assignment say a standard room. I ask the front desk CM if we didn't get a Pirate room. She said we had been switched to a standard room about a week before. I was confused and said I didn't ask to downgrade, could we speak to a manager.

So a woman comes over, she said the resort had been overbooked because of Pop Warner so about a week before our reservation had been switched to a standard room and we had been credited back the difference.

I was pretty shocked at this point, I had no idea you could get downgraded from the room type you had booked and paid for. I asked if there wasn't anything that could be done and that I had booked the room special.

She told me that there was one Pirate room available and it was being held for a family with 3 kids that had yet to check in. And also that since we just were staying for 2 nights that they would rather satisfy the guests' reservations who were staying for a longer time. I just kept telling her that was not acceptable. I was not yelling or mean, though I do believe I was visibly pretty upset. I asked if there was nothing she could do so she said she would go into the back.

While she was gone I apologized to our original CM and let her know I was not blaming her or upset with her in any way.

The other woman came back, and in a super condescending tone told me that since I 'had to have my pirate room' that she was going to bump the family with the 3 kids and she would just have to deal with them later.

We completed the rest of check in with me pretty much not saying a word, since I felt awful and the whole experience had been a giant mess.

When we got to our room I immediately called guest services and asked to speak to someone so I could relay my experience. Imagine my surprise when I got on the phone with the top CB manager and she informed me that it was their policy, when downgrading guests, to comp them the first night free or to give them a better room in a different hotel for the same price. She also said she'd been in the back on a phone call during the experience and that she heard a different manager tell the woman that they had plenty of Pirate rooms that had opened up and to go ahead and give us one. So that was nice that the woman came back and lied to make us feel bad about taking the room from the kids. The manager said that the woman shouldn't have said half those things and that they would talk about it.

The next day we were surprised to find a little sorcerer mickey, some balloons, a card and some chocolate in the room. That was a pretty nice gesture...but I dunno. I still have a pretty bad taste in my mouth from the whole experience. I didn't think I was mean at all, yet for some reason the woman felt the need to lie about me taking the room from some little kids. Not only that, but I was trained in customer service at a movie theater and at target (which I expect Disney to be loads better at than) and I know better than to say half the things the woman told us.

Whole experience just kind of made me feel awful, so I just wanted to vent about it on here.
I don't think balloons and chocolates would have done much for me. It obviously didn't do much for you, either.

You were not out of line to ask for exactly what you booked and paid for, without being made to feel a criminal, at worst or heel, at best. The assistant manager should have simply happily given you what you asked for without giving you grief. It was unprofessional of her to even mention the other family at any point in the conversation. Either the room is available or it isn't, period. Being told that another guest (or their money) is more important than you is downright rude.

Once mentioned, the head manager at CB should have offered you the first night free or a better room at the same price. If she did not, then telling you that that was the policy, but not offering to enforce the policy, was unprofessional. Also, she should not have discussed the assistant's behavior with you. That, again, is unprofessional.

As far as what was said behind closed doors with the other managers, again, unprofessional to discuss with a guest.

If you are feeling angry enough, write to Disney, state everything you have here (you basically have the letter written) and mention the manager(s) by name (if you know them). Let them know you find this behavior unprofessional and unacceptable. State it simply and clearly. Ask why you were never offered any compensation other than chocolates. If they don't know about this kind of nonsense, they cannot deal with it.

I glad for you that you got what you wanted. Unfortunately bumping happens. All the time. It stinks, but it happens. All you can do is ask them what they are offering you in return.

Standing up for yourself is not being a jerk.

Last edited by ready123go; 12-14-2013 at 08:51 PM.
ready123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran
 
MinnieLovesMickey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.
Posts: 2,098

Actually I find it hard to believe and very unprofessional for a guest services manager at the resort to get on the phone and admit to you that one of her employees lied. I can't ever see a situation where that would be acceptable even if it was true.

But as far as feeling guilty there is no reason to. They clearly told you the room was being held for a family with 3 children and you didn't know they had more than one room. You insisted you get the room. So you knew that room was being taken away from the kids. Until LATER when you were told it wasn't true. I am not saying one person wanting a pirate room is more important than another. Just that you knew what would happen if you insisted on getting that room.

I would have told them that is fine you keep that room for those kids however I know how this is suppose to go and you ARE NOT downgrading me even if you refunded me the difference. You will find me a BETTER room at a different resort. I would not have left the counter until that happened.
__________________
10/27-11/6/11 All Star Music Family Suite (QSDP) --Family trip 1/26-2/1/12 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista --Adults Only trip
4/16-4/21/12 Rosen Inn --Adults Only Trip 10/27-11/4/12 All Star Music Family Suite (DDP) --Family Trip
4/14-4/19/13 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista -- Adults Only Trip 11/10-11/16/13 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Adults Only Trip
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran
 
hedberg1661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 636

I would be furious. Good for you. At least you got what you reserved. In the future it is best to know that cm's name so you can pass that along to mgt. no reason you should have been given the guilt trip. Not cool. Hope it ended as a magical experience.
__________________
Too many trips to count...and still loving it!

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.



hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
Actually I find it hard to believe and very unprofessional for a guest services manager at the resort to get on the phone and admit to you that one of her employees lied. I can't ever see a situation where that would be acceptable even if it was true.

But as far as feeling guilty there is no reason to. They clearly told you the room was being held for a family with 3 children and you didn't know they had more than one room. You insisted you get the room. So you knew that room was being taken away from the kids. Until LATER when you were told it wasn't true. I am not saying one person wanting a pirate room is more important than another. Just that you knew what would happen if you insisted on getting that room.

I would have told them that is fine you keep that room for those kids however I know how this is suppose to go and you ARE NOT downgrading me even if you refunded me the difference. You will find me a BETTER room at a different resort. I would not have left the counter until that happened.
Unfortunately offering a better room is not Disney's policy. I think it should be too but it isn't. All Disney guarantees with a reservation is a room on Disney property.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
mistysue
DIS Veteran
 
mistysue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,915

I'm sorry the experience was unpleasant. The first person shouldn't have tried to make you feel guilty, what a weirdo. That is really sweet that they did the gifts, we have been through hell with CM's and nobody has ever given us anything for it.

Apparently I need to grow some balls like the rest of you, I would not expect to be compensated at all once I ended up with the room I booked let alone given more than the chocolates, Mickey and card. We are those people who get downgraded, land in a room with no working shower, turned away from CS for allergies, told terrible things by random CM's, get chefs feeding my son a plate of things that could kill him and Disney just shrugs when we call or write. If I demanded something every time we would have a free vacation by now.
__________________
Me(33) DH(33) DD(11) DS(5) DS(3)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran
 
mikedoyleblogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12
Actually I find it hard to believe and very unprofessional for a guest services manager at the resort to get on the phone and admit to you that one of her employees lied. I can't ever see a situation where that would be acceptable even if it was true.
I can. It's called being honest and I think it's non-optional when you're talking with your customers. In May, my partner and I caught hotel staff lying to the front desk about having delivered extra hangers to our room at Pop. We called several times for hangers over 24 hours and each time housekeeping told the desk they were on their way. Eventually an assistant manager literally walked with me to the appropriate storage room to get the hangers, apologizing all the way. He told me things like this happen all the time when staff doesn't feel like it can be held accountable. "I'm sorry" is not always enough.
__________________
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR Sep 2014 DLH (HalloweenTime) | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
freckles04
DIS Veteran
 
freckles04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 993

OP, I don't blame you a bit for your actions.

Quote:
Apparently I need to grow some balls like the rest of you, I would not expect to be compensated at all once I ended up with the room I booked let alone given more than the chocolates, Mickey and card. We are those people who get downgraded, land in a room with no working shower, turned away from CS for allergies, told terrible things by random CM's, get chefs feeding my son a plate of things that could kill him and Disney just shrugs when we call or write.
I mean this in the most sincere way possible and not snarky at all... seriously, that doesn't sound like a fun vacation. You are brave to return after all that!
__________________
freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
mistysue
DIS Veteran
 
mistysue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,915

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04 View Post
I mean this in the most sincere way possible and not snarky at all... seriously, that doesn't sound like a fun vacation. You are brave to return after all that!
That's not all one trip! Seriously though, Disney is the only place we go that even tries to feed my son so if I want a break from cooking and packing every single meal (no store bought meal options) that is our only place to go. Also our oldest is the tallest in the class and the younger two are each the shortest (3rd has a genetic abnormality that makes him little) so Disney is also the only place we can all go and do things together because of height, age range and some sensory issues.
__________________
Me(33) DH(33) DD(11) DS(5) DS(3)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.