Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
siegal
Earning My Ears

Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort information

Hi everyone.
We live in Miami and usually grab a coupon book on the way up and grab a nearby hotel for $60 or less a night or if there is a room at a value resort (the music, sports, etc ones) we take it. We are usually happy enough with the accommodations. The hotels in Orlando are pretty nice - not really dingy or anything in my experience. Anyway.
I checked online and the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista is less than $100 a night when I want to go and I am wondering if its worth spending the extra money. I never stayed at a Disney non all-star before. Is it a nice hotel? What makes it different than the all-star resorts?
It will be two adults, one almost 3 year old, one 3 month old. We have a car but prefer to take the Disney buses (saves parking money) if the price difference between a disney hotel and an off-site one isn't much. We are going in January so I think it may be too cold to enjoy a pool anyway.
Thanks in advance,
siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegal
What makes it different than the all-star resorts?
The biggest difference is that it's not a Disney resort. So you won't have any of the perks like Disney buses to parks, Extended Magic Hours, etc.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
siegal
Earning My Ears

I thought it was a "downtown disney resort" work all the disney stuff included?

http://www.wyndhamlakebuenavista.com/mobile/
Old 12-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thought it was a "downtown disney resort" work all the disney stuff included?

http://www.wyndhamlakebuenavista.com/mobile/
That's just where it's located, in the Downtown Disney area. It's not Disney owned or operated.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
siegal
Earning My Ears

Thanks. Not trying to argue. Just confused. Website says official disney resort and shuttles. Hmmmm
Old 12-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. Not trying to argue. Just confused. Website says official disney resort and shuttles. Hmmmm
Yeah I know the wording on their website is very confusing. The shuttles are operated by the resort, not Disney. And guests definitely do not get the same perks as Disney resort guests. Funny story, our neighbors stayed there last month and were quite shocked when they couldn't get magic bands, FP+, etc. I tried to warn them but they kept saying I was wrong because it's an Official Disney resort. I didn't want to argue so I dropped it. When they got back I asked them how the trip was and they said great! I found out from another neighbor the wife had a fit when at check in they found out they couldn't charge anything back to their room from the parks. The were so pissed I was right.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

This has always been sort of a confusing situation. OP, there's a group of hotels on Disney property, along Hotel Plaza Blvd, which is right by Downtown Disney Marketplace. They're "official", in that they were selected by Disney to be allowed to operate on WDW property, but they are not owned by Disney, and you get none of the perks of staying in a Disney-owned resort.

No Disney buses, no charging privileges at Disney theme parks or resorts, no Disney Dining Plans. With the exception of the Hilton, guests have no access to Extra Magic Hours.

As a group, the hotels operate a shuttle service that travels around to each hotel and the theme parks.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
SunTravels
dare to dream

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights the week of thanksgiving. They do have a hotel operated bus that runs to the parks every 30 min. It's so close to DTD that if you want to go to a disney resort for a meal the DTD buses to the resorts are just a 2 min walk. Nice pool. They do a character breakfast every Tuesday and Thursday. It's a decent hotel, and if you spend a lot of time at downtown Disney or the resort restaurants than the location is really good. It takes a little longer to get to and from the parks since the buses have multiple stops (but it's not terrible). I like to stay at a Disney property, but it was a decent choice if the price is right. Also check groupon they always have deals running for $70 a night. Also they have a Disney gift shop.
SunTravels is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: