Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
txSleepingBeauty
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there before it got deleted.

word of warning to anyone going to Paris

after their Med cruise and using the night train. After the Transatlantic, we were leaving from the Estacion Franca on the 1955 overnight train up to Paris. There is NOWHERE in the station or nearby to leave luggage and the thieves are rampant. I had my entire purse stolen, including my passport, phone and camera with every picture we had taken on it the previous two weeks. All gone.

The train station employees were less than helpful, including the security guard. The payphones don't work and no one will let you make an overseas call. Neither would the hotel next door. I couldn't cancel my credit cards until we got to Paris the next day. Thankfully they never tried to use any.

So be aware in that train station!
txSleepingBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

It sounds like this happened in Barcelona?

Sorry! But even in the US the police don't do much for purse snatching.... (trust me I know )

Train stations are always risky. However we managed to survive several trains on this trip with no problem. but you have to watch your stuff and never set down something like a purse... Sorry this happened, but hopefully your crisis can prevent others...
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txSleepingBeauty View Post
after their Med cruise and using the night train. After the Transatlantic, we were leaving from the Estacion Franca on the 1955 overnight train up to Paris. There is NOWHERE in the station or nearby to leave luggage and the thieves are rampant. I had my entire purse stolen, including my passport, phone and camera with every picture we had taken on it the previous two weeks. All gone.

The train station employees were less than helpful, including the security guard. The payphones don't work and no one will let you make an overseas call. Neither would the hotel next door. I couldn't cancel my credit cards until we got to Paris the next day. Thankfully they never tried to use any.

So be aware in that train station!
Unfortunate, but not that uncommon. I travel with zip socks that have a zippered pocket large enough to stick your passport and cash. Never worry anymore on the road. Of course, somebody could still grab my luggage, etc. Never entirely safe, I guess.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
txSleepingBeauty
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there before it got deleted.

Yup, it was in Barcelona. My bag was right beside me, someone came up from behind. Just wanted to give people a heads up.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

How did you get home without your passport?
Was your purse on your on you? Do you think someone bumped you to distract you or something like that?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

I have a friend who was gassed, yes gassed, on an overnight train from Barcelona to Paris. It was her and a couple of other people in a car and she just felt really tired and woke up a couple of hours later and a wallet lighter.
You really have to be on guard 110% in Europe.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
I have a friend who was gassed, yes gassed, on an overnight train from Barcelona to Paris. It was her and a couple of other people in a car and she just felt really tired and woke up a couple of hours later and a wallet lighter.
You really have to be on guard 110% in Europe.
Wow! Did they not have their own room/cabin or were they sleeping on the open train in the train car?

I was thinking you could lock your door.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Wow! Did they not have their own room/cabin or were they sleeping on the open train in the train car?

I was thinking you could lock your door.
It was an open car, Everyone woke up with a killer headache. This was several years ago. I hadn't thought of it in years and just messaged her to help refresh my memory on the details.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It was an open car, Everyone woke up with a killer headache. This was several years ago. I hadn't thought of it in years and just messaged her to help refresh my memory on the details.
That makes more sense but where in the heck was security? That's really awful.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that. Sadly this type of thing is very common in Europe. I almost had my purse stolen on the metro and thankfully another passenger saw the person and knew what they were up to and stopped them. Very scary. I hope you and your family are all well.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Same thing happened to my mom in Paris.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
txSleepingBeauty
New Rule:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
How did you get home without your passport?
Was your purse on your on you? Do you think someone bumped you to distract you or something like that?
I had to get an emergency passport in Paris. Thankfully, they don't check identification when going between EU countries. My bag was sitting beside me in my backpack which was unfortunately unzipped. someone walked right behind me and grabbed the purse. never saw anything.

As far as getting gassed on the actual train, I was petrified of someone stealing our stuff on the actual train. So I slept with my mom's bag with her passport and remaining credit cards wrapped around my leg and under the covers, an had our bags piled in front of the door so that no one could get into our cabin
Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txSleepingBeauty View Post

I had to get an emergency passport in Paris. Thankfully, they don't check identification when going between EU countries. My bag was sitting beside me in my backpack which was unfortunately unzipped. someone walked right behind me and grabbed the purse. never saw anything.

As far as getting gassed on the actual train, I was petrified of someone stealing our stuff on the actual train. So I slept with my mom's bag with her passport and remaining credit cards wrapped around my leg and under the covers, an had our bags piled in front of the door so that no one could get into our cabin
Even with a locked door, huh? Scary?

Just goes to show stuff happens everywhere. Nowhere seems safe.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Ok. To set the record straight. My friend was in a sleeper car with 5 others on a train from Paris to Nice. But still, be VERY CAREFUL!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok. To set the record straight. My friend was in a sleeper car with 5 others on a train from Paris to Nice. But still, be VERY CAREFUL!
That's even worse, right? You'd expect to be relatively safe in a sleeper car. I would hope you could lock the door.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: