Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Sappermont
DIS Veteran

Yacht Club First Timers!!

Hi Everyone!!

We just finalized our trip!!! We will be going in September and staying at the YC for a week. We are stoked for this. Our last trip (me & DH) was in August 2011 and we stayed at the Poly. We LOVED the poly.

We spent the last two years looking over all the hotels and thought that it would be awesome to try the Epcot area and the YC it is.

I'm super psyched and was wondering if anyone had any tips for YC first timers. We've never stayed at the Epcot area before!

Also, I love the theming at hotels like Coronado, Poly, Wilderness Lodge - from all the threads the theming at YC seems a bit less Disney? What do YC people think? Do you like the theming or just the location!??!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! Open to any suggestions, recommendations, or Epcot area tips!!

Happy Vacation Planning Everyone!!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
natebenma
DIS Veteran

The theming at the Yacht & Beach Club is definitely understated when compared to other Disney resorts, but nice- a beachy feel at the Beach Club and some elegant nautical decor at the Yacht Club. They are beautiful resorts.

But truly, the location and the amazing pool, Stormalong Bay, are the big draws for me.

A great place to start learning about the resorts is the first page of the Y&BC FAQ thread. You can get there by clicking on the link in my signature. Lots of information and pictures. Read the first post, then check out Post 13 (FAQ) and Post 14 (Other Useful Info).

And please pop into the main thread to introduce yourself and ask any questions you may have.

Enjoy!
natebenma is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

The location of the BC/YC can't be beat. I suggest looking at booking some evening ADRs in the World Showcase. You can quickly walk over there and after a busy day in the parks I love a hassle free dinner.

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

My number one advice to anyone staying in an Epcot resort is to buy park hoppers. The nicest thing about the location is how easy it is to walk into Epcot for the great dining options.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
justustoo
Mouseketeer

My advice would be to consider walking to/ from Epcot at busy times rather than waiting on boat. We decided to walk to avoid long lines for boats after Illuminations and were pleasantly surprised by what an easy walk it was.
Also, we frequently grabbed quick to go breakfast at Ale and Compass when trying to make RD- saved time, and was plenty to get us through til lunch.
justustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Sappermont
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
The theming at the Yacht & Beach Club is definitely understated when compared to other Disney resorts, but nice- a beachy feel at the Beach Club and some elegant nautical decor at the Yacht Club. They are beautiful resorts.

But truly, the location and the amazing pool, Stormalong Bay, are the big draws for me.

A great place to start learning about the resorts is the first page of the Y&BC FAQ thread. You can get there by clicking on the link in my signature. Lots of information and pictures. Read the first post, then check out Post 13 (FAQ) and Post 14 (Other Useful Info).

And please pop into the main thread to introduce yourself and ask any questions you may have.

Enjoy!
Thank you so much for the info!! I will definitely head over to the main thread to talk WDW & YC!! Thanks so much!! I'm starting to get excited!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringingUpDisney View Post
The location of the BC/YC can't be beat. I suggest looking at booking some evening ADRs in the World Showcase. You can quickly walk over there and after a busy day in the parks I love a hassle free dinner.
This sounds awesome. Thanks so much!! Any favorites that you'd recommend? We were thinking of trying Chefs de France & Biergarten this time around!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
My number one advice to anyone staying in an Epcot resort is to buy park hoppers. The nicest thing about the location is how easy it is to walk into Epcot for the great dining options.
Thanks for the tip! We are definitely going to make certain we get park hoppers!! So excited to just walk into Epcot. Thanks so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justustoo View Post
My advice would be to consider walking to/ from Epcot at busy times rather than waiting on boat. We decided to walk to avoid long lines for boats after Illuminations and were pleasantly surprised by what an easy walk it was.
Also, we frequently grabbed quick to go breakfast at Ale and Compass when trying to make RD- saved time, and was plenty to get us through til lunch.
Thanks so much for the tips!! Is Ale & Compass a place where we can refill our mugs? Thanks, everyone. Getting psyched for YC!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

You can refill your mugs at the BC Marketplace, Hurricane Hana's and Beaches & Cream. You may be able to refill at Ale & Compass in the mornings only.

We stayed at BC & this August looking forward to YC. I think it's plenty Disney for us! No it doesn't have the in your face theming of the values, but it is Disney, with all the little touches. Try to find the hidden Mickey in the big lobby globe!

Do join us on the BC/YC thread! You'll get loads of info! Just never mind that Ninja Mom and Buzzy, they're nuts
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Be forewarned--- after you stay at the YC, you may never want to stay anywhere else!

My tip: walk to the Studios in the morning. You might get there faster depending on where a boat is. You get a little exercise, it's a very peaceful & pleasant walk. Save the boat ride for the trip back when you're tired & hot.

And make sure you catch the afternoon pool activities. Even if you don't have kids, it's fun to watch the games & activities. I love watching the lifeguards dance at shift change!

As for the theming, yeah, it's not over done. But it does fit it's theme: an elegant New England Yacht Club. Lots of nautical stuff & model ships in the lobby. Comfortable, over stuffed furniture & dark wood too. Just like I imagine would be in a real yacht club. We love the quiet, relaxing atmosphere.

Last edited by focusondisney; 06-10-2013 at 11:41 AM.
focusondisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappermont View Post
This sounds awesome. Thanks so much!! Any favorites that you'd recommend? We were thinking of trying Chefs de France & Biergarten this time around!!
You can't go wrong with Chefs de France and Biergarten. We also love Rose & Crown, Teppan Edo and Via Napoli.

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Couchy
DIS Veteran

Location is awesome and Storm Along Bay can't be beat

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Sappermont
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
You can refill your mugs at the BC Marketplace, Hurricane Hana's and Beaches & Cream. You may be able to refill at Ale & Compass in the mornings only.

We stayed at BC & this August looking forward to YC. I think it's plenty Disney for us! No it doesn't have the in your face theming of the values, but it is Disney, with all the little touches. Try to find the hidden Mickey in the big lobby globe!

Do join us on the BC/YC thread! You'll get loads of info! Just never mind that Ninja Mom and Buzzy, they're nuts
Awesome!! Thanks. I'm so psyched to get my mug. It's the part of the vacation that says "I"m here!"

Good to know about the theming. I just love all the WDW touches. It certainly doesn't have to be over the top but I love all the WDW touches!!

Thanks again for the info.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
Be forewarned--- after you stay at the YC, you may never want to stay anywhere else!

My tip: walk to the Studios in the morning. You might get there faster depending on where a boat is. You get a little exercise, it's a very peaceful & pleasant walk. Save the boat ride for the trip back when you're tired & hot.

And make sure you catch the afternoon pool activities. Even if you don't have kids, it's fun to watch the games & activities. I love watching the lifeguards dance at shift change!

As for the theming, yeah, it's not over done. But it does fit it's theme: an elegant New England Yacht Club. Lots of nautical stuff & model ships in the lobby. Comfortable, over stuffed furniture & dark wood too. Just like I imagine would be in a real yacht club. We love the quiet, relaxing atmosphere.

THANK YOU! Love this tip and am definitely going to do this. My DH and I were talking about walking to HS for breakfast! So exciting!!

That's good to know about the theming. I'm thinking that part of my hesitation with the theming is that I'm from New England - so it doesn't seem like "theming" to me. If that makes any sense. I'm excited to see inside the Yacht Club and try out SAB!!!

Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringingUpDisney View Post
You can't go wrong with Chefs de France and Biergarten. We also love Rose & Crown, Teppan Edo and Via Napoli.
Thank you! Now I am craving fish & chips!! We had thought about Tokyo Dining and now I'm starting to hear more about Teppan Edo. I am going to have to look into that. THANK YOU!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post
Location is awesome and Storm Along Bay can't be beat
So exciting! Thanks. Do adults use SAB too or is it mostly for the kiddos?

Thanks!!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:

THANK YOU! Love this tip and am definitely going to do this. My DH and I were talking about walking to HS for breakfast! So exciting!!

That's good to know about the theming. I'm thinking that part of my hesitation with the theming is that I'm from New England - so it doesn't seem like "theming" to me. If that makes any sense. I'm excited to see inside the Yacht Club and try out SAB!!!

Thanks again!!

So exciting! Thanks. Do adults use SAB too or is it mostly for the kiddos?

Thanks!!!!
I do understand the theming might seem underwhelming. But as a pp said, there are Disney touches around. For us, it is just a beautiful, upscale, quiet resort. If you are OK with that, you should be fine.

As for Storm Along Bay- it is for everyone. DH & I are late 50's (when did that happen?? ) & we love it. In fact, we don't swim a lot anywhere else, but we do SAB almost every day on vacation.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks so much for the tips!! Is Ale & Compass a place where we can refill our mugs? Thanks, everyone. Getting psyched for YC!!!
Quote:
I do understand the theming might seem underwhelming. But as a pp said, there are Disney touches around. For us, it is just a beautiful, upscale, quiet resort. If you are OK with that, you should be fine.

As for Storm Along Bay- it is for everyone. DH & I are late 50's (when did that happen?? ) & we love it. In fact, we don't swim a lot anywhere else, but we do SAB almost every day on vacation.
I echo this, except, I don't bother to swim, I just hang and read and relax @ SAB.
Once you complete your short jaunt into Epcot's back door, turn right and voila, you are in France, or turn left and you are in England, thus both countries are great for nearby meals. I also personally like Cape May buffet, next door at the Beach Club.
The refillable mugs are not as convenient to refill @ YC as is the case in some resorts - I typically carted mine down to SAB when I was in the mood to do some relaxing/reading/lounging by the pool. This last trip we were on the far end of the YC - close to the Swolphin - our room looked out over a little pond (which I liked) and that section of the resort has an easy back door to the boat pier, but it was a long hike to refill the mug - so maybe request close to the lobby or SAB to reduce the hike for refills if that matters to you.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
Sappermont
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I echo this, except, I don't bother to swim, I just hang and read and relax @ SAB.
Once you complete your short jaunt into Epcot's back door, turn right and voila, you are in France, or turn left and you are in England, thus both countries are great for nearby meals. I also personally like Cape May buffet, next door at the Beach Club.
The refillable mugs are not as convenient to refill @ YC as is the case in some resorts - I typically carted mine down to SAB when I was in the mood to do some relaxing/reading/lounging by the pool. This last trip we were on the far end of the YC - close to the Swolphin - our room looked out over a little pond (which I liked) and that section of the resort has an easy back door to the boat pier, but it was a long hike to refill the mug - so maybe request close to the lobby or SAB to reduce the hike for refills if that matters to you.
Thanks so much, sndral!! Did you try Picabu in the Swolphin? I'm curious about that!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Sappermont
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks so much, focusondisney!! I'm getting psyched for SAB!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: