Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Hadjii
Is known to have Wizard of Oz moments....pay no attention to the Fairy behind the curtain....
Disney Goddess

Why no fish extenders at resorts?

We did the Disney Cruise and participated in the fish extender exchange. It really was some of the most fun we had on the trip. I was just wondering why (or maybe they have) no one does this at the resorts? We are the people who decorate our room and windows for holidays and wear our lime green to show our DIS pride so we would definitely get a kick out of the extenders while we were staying. Does anyone know if this is done anywhere?

Halloween at DisneyWorld 2012!!!

Hadjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I imagine that it's due to the openess of the resorts. So many 'strangers' passing by. I was always amazed that more stuff didn't get 'taken' on board the ships. Besides, everyone was on the same ship...albeit many different areas of the ship. Have to say that doing FE gifts on the Wonder was a lot easier than on the Dream!! So, with resorts, you would find yourself traveling all over the area..could be going to AllStar Music, then to AoA, then to BW...etc. Just not realistic to do.
I know that there have been people that leave notepads/dry erase boards on their resort doors so others can leave them notes. I'm not sure Disney approves of that...I know that I wouldn't do it due to the probability of it getting taken by some kid!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Hadjii
Is known to have Wizard of Oz moments....pay no attention to the Fairy behind the curtain....
Disney Goddess

I know that there would be no way to get to all the resorts but maybe just the building or floor you're staying on would be fun. I love the idea of the dry erase boards but you're right, they're probably tempting for kids lol. Oh well, just have to wait til my next Disney cruise to get into the fish extender spirit. My next stay is at AoA in December and I WILL be decorating for Christmas!!

Halloween at DisneyWorld 2012!!!

Hadjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadjii View Post
I know that there would be no way to get to all the resorts but maybe just the building or floor you're staying on would be fun. I love the idea of the dry erase boards but you're right, they're probably tempting for kids lol. Oh well, just have to wait til my next Disney cruise to get into the fish extender spirit. My next stay is at AoA in December and I WILL be decorating for Christmas!!
You would be hard pressed to find others, on the same floor or area of the resort, as you are that wanted to be part of a FE group. Yes, the numbers on a cruise are huge, but nothing compared to the number of people at WDW.
When I'm at WDW in Dec I usually have clings on the window of my resort. Sometimes I put up lights but not always.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Call me stupid but what the heck are fish extenders?
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
On the cruise lines, there is a fish on the door (or maybe next to the door? Can't remember). Its tail makes a hook. Cruisers hang little bags and things on the fish tail and groups of cruisers exchange small gifts every day by putting them in the bag. Fish extenders groups are arranged on boards like the DIS cruise boards in advance of the trip. It's just a fun little extra thing to do - my kids loved getting little surprises every day when we were on our cruise.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
On the cruise lines, there is a fish on the door (or maybe next to the door? Can't remember). Its tail makes a hook. Cruisers hang little bags and things on the fish tail and groups of cruisers exchange small gifts every day by putting them in the bag. Fish extenders groups are arranged on boards like the DIS cruise boards in advance of the trip. It's just a fun little extra thing to do - my kids loved getting little surprises every day when we were on our cruise.
Or it can be a one of several sea critters!!! CMs also leave notes on it. It does serve a purpose. It's a lot of fun to get back to your cabin and see what little surprises have been left for you.
But it just isn't feasible on the resort level.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
MacDalt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I'm glad someone asked!

April 2000 October 2013 (Pop Century)
April 2002 Next: August 2014
April 2004
April 2006
April 2013
MacDalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
katiee37
DIS Veteran

I also think it just isn't feasible at resorts, even if you organized an exchange just with people staying at your resort. If I remember right not very many doors will have hooks by/on their doors to hook a fish extender off of like there are on the ships, and if you bring your own adhesives you risk damaging paint when you remove them, which may result in you being charged to repaint. (Happened to a friend while on a beach vacation when her son taped something on a wall and ripped it down as she walked into the room)
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Ah - now I can see why this wouldn't work at Disney World. Anyone can drive into any resort with any excuse and make off with tons of stuff on a daily basis. Yeah, you might have someone doing that on a cruise ship but there are stewards all over the place all day long. There is housekeeping at Disney World but there are long stretches of time with no one around and who can tell if the person taking things isn't that room owner?

Yeah, a negative slant on things but humans can be heartless.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Fish extenders are only on cruise ships. Can you imagine the mayhem at the resorts if you had those all over. Cruise ships can control it, not resorts.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: