Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #31
White Rose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenklo View Post
We got upgraded at the Poly. We had CL garden view, but when checked in and got to the room I realized it was on the wrong side of the building. I was practically jumping up and down as we went thru the door! WE got a great theme park view. The castle was looked straight across from us! My husband thought I was nuts until he came out on the balcony and saw our view!! It was nice because our boys were little and we could watch fireworks from the balcony in our PJs!! No celebration either-just luck!
We had mkv too!! We booked non CL mkv at poly this time and I hope we get a balcony like last time!
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #32
ToyStory3
DIS Veteran

We went to the BCR in September of 2011. We were staying club level and it was our first on-site stay as a family. We were celebrating an anniversary and my son's 4th birthday. We were upgraded to a deluxe room overlooking the quiet pool. The room was fantastic. They didn't tell us they were upgrading us. I just knew when we went in that it wasn't a standard room and it was confirmed, after we came back, on the Dis. We had a great time and loved the room.

ToyStory3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_Tink View Post
Your chances of getting upgraded aren't great, but sometimes we need to make our own pixie dust. Realistically, if you really want the suites (or more space) you should just pay for the upgrade. I've read several stories of people with LM rooms wanting an upgrade (because of elderly guests, limited mobility issues, kids in strollers, handicapped family members, etc.) at check-in only to be disappointed. Plus, I think the front desk hears it several times a day, so they've heard it all by now. (No one can stop you from hoping, but try to be realistic so you're not disappointed.)

As for your concerns about space with your handicapped daughter, there are specific handicap accessible rooms available at AoA. One of those would prob better suit your needs over a regular room.
I

If this were our "regular" Disney vacation I would have just booked a bigger room. we were just there last august and this trip was a surprise for my daughters graduation so vacation funds were a little tight She graduated yesterday so she now knows about her trip, she was so excited she cried!! I explained to my 2 daughters , 21 & 17, we are gonna be a little cramped. if they don't want to be cramped then they can each pitch in 400.00 bucks to uncramp us!! lol they are fine with being cramped and mom paying for it all!! its all good,,, WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY!!!!
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Art of Animation 08-13 & 03-14
Pop Century 9-14

mskermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
soccer mom
DIS Veteran

During the "Year of a Million Dreams" campaign on our first trip without kids, we had a standard view room booked at BWI and ended up in a waterview CL room.......I thought the CM that checked us in was smiling awfully big!!! We went down later and thanked her for the wonderful upgrade.
CSR - December 2011
POFQ - November 2010, 2009, 2008
WL - Return from Iraq Celebration! - December 2007
BWI - First Time No Kids! - January 2007
ALK - December 2005
POR - January 2005
WL - November 2003
BC/Poly - November 2002
AKL - November 2001
POFQ - December 1999
FW Cabins - December 1994, 1991
FW Campgrounds - March 1985, 1981, 1976
soccer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
squee!! disney!!
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

my niece and i booked a pool view club level room at the Wilderness Lodge in 2007. when we were shown to our room, she went straight for a door on the left which would be woods view. the last time we had gone, we had woods view and had an awful view. we figured a nice view of the pool or courtyard would be nice. as she was opening the door she said "i know you wanted pool view but this room is MUCH better." and she showed us the perfect view of cinderella castle. we got to see the castle all lit up as we were going to bed. it was worth seeing the smokehouse in the parking lot below. :P

home again: solo march 1st through 6th
squee!! disney!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #36
jorose01
Earning My Ears

We have been upgraded twice. Once (Jan 2010) we booked a bunk bed room at WL for my DS 5th birthday and were upgraded to a CL level with a RARE view of the MK fireworks! It was great timing - we checked in late and were in our room in time to watch the highest fireworks over the tree tops!

The second time (Jan 2013) we were awarded the Safari Family of the day at the AKL! We had our picture taken and the kids were given safari hats and certificates! We finally got those bunk beds plus a Savannah View!! It was quite a surprise and I too thought there was a mistake on our reservation!! It was the first time using a travel agent and I was worried she had made a mistake!!! Nope just Arusha upgraded view for us!! It was amazing and the kids LOVED watching the animals in the morning in their PJs!!!
jorose01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #37
Practically.Perfect
Earning My Ears

I once upgraded a guest from a standard room at AS sports to a 2 bedroom villa at SSR and they almost didn't take it because they though there was going to be a catch.
Practically.Perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #38
Haley
DIS Veteran

We've gotten upgraded 1 time - from standard view to savannah view at AKL.

I think it's pretty common at AKL since like 80% of the rooms are savannah view. Ours was at the far end of the savannah and we could see the zookeepers and little warthogs going in for the night- it was interesting.
Disney Trips: Ft Wilderness '83, Ft. Wilderness '91, ASM July'96, Boardwalk/DCL Magic July '98, CBR/DCL Wonder '00, DCL Magic '03, CBR July '04, CBR May '05, AKL Oct '05, Poly Dec '06, DCL Wonder '06, Beach Club May '07, DCL Wonder '07, Pop/AKL Oct '08 Engaged, Ft. Wild. May 09, Poly Oct 09 Honeymoon!, DCL Magic Nov '09, Pop Oct '10, AoA/BCV Oct '12, Pop Century Dec '13!
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #39
allboyhouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Practically.Perfect
I once upgraded a guest from a standard room at AS sports to a 2 bedroom villa at SSR and they almost didn't take it because they though there was going to be a catch.
Wow!! My husband and I are taking our first ever trip without kids for our 20th wedding anniversary the week before Christmas. I would LOVE an upgrade like that to Wilderness Lodge! We returned from a 7 day trip with the kids and received a free dining pin so funds weren't there for WL so we booked POR, which we love, but some pixie dust like that would be great!
allboyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Upgraded to a Cars suite at AoA!

DH and I were originally in a Little Mermaid room. He had twisted his knee getting off the plane and we were in the very, very back of the LM section. The next morning I asked if we could be moved to the front of the section, just to save on a little walking for him. I had also considered moving to Pop if we could get a closer room.

I think though because we were on our Milestones trip - birthdays and anniversary - the CM worked a little magic and transferred us to a Cars Suite. Ya for pixie dust!
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #41
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
So there seems to be a theme here. Most if not all of these unexpected upgrades coincided with celebrations. Has anyone had pixie dust on a non celebration trip?
On our first trip staying at CR we were not celebrating anything and we booked a MK view room and we upgraded to MK view Club level It was nice but I figured it was to try to entice us to continue to stay club level but we only book MK view. DH doesn't think it's worth the extra money for us since we don't drink alcohol
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #42
luvdzny
DIS Veteran

We were upgraded from POFQ standard view to AKL Savannah view once, but it was 2 months after 9/11 so it was very quiet there. I think they closed some of the smaller resorts during that time.

Another time we were booked in a standard view at POFQ and were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite at Saratoga Springs.

luvdzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #43
mom4graceandlogan
DIS Veteran

I have never posted this before because so many people have that hope that maybe just maybe they will be upgraded. I crossed my fingers for years. Every trip was a celebration, never an upgrade. But last year we had the upgrade of a lifetime. We walked into the beach club after a stressful 4 nights at the WL, 2 bickering sisters and one under 3. Before the trip I had begged my husband to book a one bedroom villa for some space (because of the fighting tween sisters). I even offered to cancel all our dining to pay for it. He said no we would be fine. By the time we got to Beach Club we were stressed out(the bickering sisters). We were staying CL at the Beach Club. They greeted us and checked us in at the regular desk instead of club level. Then they told us they had a surprise for us and every employee in the lobby and from the back offices came out and were staring at us. Then a manager brought out balloons and told us that we were the family of the day. I started crying and said thank you. I thought all we got was a certificate and balloons and I was thrilled and crying. True Disney moment. Then they said that it included a room upgrade. Normally the family of the day is upgraded to Concierge, but since we were already Club level that we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite with club level access. I cried harder and my husband told them how this would much this would mean to me and how a begged to just book a one bedroom and find a way to afford it. They then gave us a tour of the biggest suite imaginable. It had a King with a bath overlooking the boardwalk, multiple porches, huge living room and the kids way on the other side in their own room. We had fresh flowers delivered. It was truly magical. We gasped and screamed in excitement as they gave the tour. They said they had never had a more excited family. We were booked with an AP discount and no celebrations. The club level member later told me that each day a manager randomly picks a family for family of the day based upon availability for an upgrade. They look at everyone checking in that day and randomly pick. We just got extremely lucky. Clearly we got the suite because it happened to be available on the same days and we are just plain lucky. But they didn't have to upgrade anybody, but they did, and made us family of the day which is so Disney. I don't think we will ever go again without beach club being half of our split stay. Truly I cried just over the balloons and everything else blew me away. I agree with the other posts that you really need to book the room that you want so that you are not disappointed and never expect an upgrade. It just sets you up for a letdown. Now I checked rates for the two bedroom suite this fall and it is 1640 a night rack rate. So we won't be staying in that room. But we will be thrilled to stay in the concierge level room that we booked and be happy to be back at the beach club.
2003; Gracie's first trip Wilderness Lodge;May, 2005 Logan's first trip Wilderness Lodge; December, 2005 Wilderness Lodge;January 2007 Poly and WL Marathon Weekend; Sept 2007 10 days WL/Poly;Sept 2008 10 days BCV/WLV; June 2009 Swan; Thanksgiving Fort WIlderness/Contemporary200;June 2010 Wilderness Lodge, September 2010 Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge; December 2010 Wilderness Lodge and Swan; September, 2011 WL and Dolphin; Buying a house instead of a 2012 trip, actually going anyway and got new house. Sept. 2012 10 days WL/BC concierge, July 2013 AoA and WBC to do all the Orlando attractions we never get to; Sept. 2013 WL Villas and BWV, 4/2014 Chaperone chorus trip to POP, September 2014, Beach club than Universal RPR, youngest finally big enough for Spiderman!
mom4graceandlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #44
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

We were upgraded to that suite at the BC last year. In fact, I just posted photos of it on the Suites photo thread here on the board last week. It's amazing. That's the Newport Presidential suite. I told my kids I was pretty sure it would be the nicest room they ever stay in for their whole lives and they were only 11 and 13.

Similar to you, we were already staying club and were only there for 3 nights and the suite just happened to be unoccupied. We weren't Family of the Day though. Just lucky.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #45
Sunnyday3
Mouseketeer

These are such great stories! Love to read about them! :-)
Sunnyday3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: