Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
kotsnewestmember
Earning My Ears

value resort vs deluxe Poly

I swear the more I read, the more I second guess our reservations. We are a family of five, 2 adults and 3 teens. Currently we are booked in two connecting rooms at the All star Music and have the DDP. We are going in August when 90's will be hot for us.

Here's my dilemma...I am beginning to think that having all these ADR's are really going to rule how we enjoy the parks...we prefer to just do things impulsively. I am thinking of ditching the plan and just paying OOP, keeping 2 or 3 of the reservations we really want,but just winging the rest. I am also debating whether two rooms, 4 beds, 2 baths, yet smaller rooms, and less fancy amenities at the value resort is better than say, upgrading to the Polynesian and staying in one room, but bigger beds and nicer amenities and right on monorail system. the computer system is down this morning and the summer special ends in a couple of days, so I have to make up our minds soon, or just stick with what we have.

Help me make up my mind..lol

thanks for any input
kotsnewestmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
ChristineOH
Mouseketeer

Two rooms at a value are still quite a bit cheaper than the Poly, though I priced during the spring sale. Maybe the summer sale is better for the monorail resorts. So you have to decide what's more important. My husband is too tall to sleep well in full beds.
ChristineOH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotsnewestmember View Post
I swear the more I read, the more I second guess our reservations. We are a family of five, 2 adults and 3 teens. Currently we are booked in two connecting rooms at the All star Music and have the DDP. We are going in August when 90's will be hot for us.

Here's my dilemma...I am beginning to think that having all these ADR's are really going to rule how we enjoy the parks...we prefer to just do things impulsively. I am thinking of ditching the plan and just paying OOP, keeping 2 or 3 of the reservations we really want,but just winging the rest. I am also debating whether two rooms, 4 beds, 2 baths, yet smaller rooms, and less fancy amenities at the value resort is better than say, upgrading to the Polynesian and staying in one room, but bigger beds and nicer amenities and right on monorail system. the computer system is down this morning and the summer special ends in a couple of days, so I have to make up our minds soon, or just stick with what we have.

Help me make up my mind..lol

thanks for any input
We are a deluxe family and the Poly is our favorite resort, so if it were me, I'd go with the Poly (especially since connecting rooms at any resort is not a guarantee). Being on the monorail is not only great for going back and forth to MK, but is convenient to the GF and CR for a variety of dining and shopping options. I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you decide on, but the Poly, IMO, can't be beat for location and having the beach for watching the fireworks.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Last trip we had DDP and lots of ADRs and we were miserable. Too much food and not the food we really wanted. Next trip we are going OOP.

In regards to the room, do two of your teenagers want to share a bed without major battles?

Do you plan to spend time enjoying the resort and the pool or will you be too busy going full speed at the parks all the time?

If the answer to both of these questions are yes, then I would consider the upgrade. If either is no, I would stick with your original plan.

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
kotsnewestmember
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineOH View Post
Two rooms at a value are still quite a bit cheaper than the Poly, though I priced during the spring sale. Maybe the summer sale is better for the monorail resorts. So you have to decide what's more important. My husband is too tall to sleep well in full beds.
That's is another thing I was thinking..both hubby and my 15 yr old son are over 6 feet..if we did value, I think they would each have to have their own..not sure how big the day bed in the Poly is. If we ditch the dining plan, I think the cost for the Poly would be about the same as what I have booked now with the dining plan...I am just also thinking the monorail is going to make getting around a lot easier than the busses, esp if we need a pool break during the day...but giving up an extra bathroom with teens...oh the dilemma. I don't know what to do..
kotsnewestmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
ChristineOH
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That's is another thing I was thinking..both hubby and my 15 yr old son are over 6 feet..if we did value, I think they would each have to have their own..not sure how big the day bed in the Poly is. If we ditch the dining plan, I think the cost for the Poly would be about the same as what I have booked now with the dining plan...I am just also thinking the monorail is going to make getting around a lot easier than the busses, esp if we need a pool break during the day...but giving up an extra bathroom with teens...oh the dilemma. I don't know what to do..
The monorail doesn't save you all that much time. Having stayed at POR and the Poly, I found getting to the parks the same between the two, EXCEPT for MK. The ferry to MK from the Poly is awesome. Loved it. The monorail to Epcot is fun, but it's not really a time saver. However, being able to watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly is pretty awesome. It's a beautiful resort.

We did DDP while at the Poly, and decided not to while at POR. We also didn't want to be tied to too many ADRs. The irony of not doing the DDP at the Poly is that you have such great access to all the of the dining options at the monorail resorts. But you are right about ADRs being a time suck. Some love it, some don't.
ChristineOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think I would go with more space, especially with 3 teens!
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I would ditch the dining plan and stay at the Poly. We traveled quite a bit with three teens, and the deluxe rooms with the daybed were always plenty roomy for us. There might have a few fights about the bathroom, but families are used to that.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Grumpymom73
DIS Veteran

I would go with the Poly for all the reasons listed above. Plus it's my families favorite resort!
We are a family of 4. Me, DH, DS19 and DS14 and we had no trouble with the room at the Poly. I really don't think one more teenager in the room would have bothered us at all. My DS14 is not as tall as yours but he is 5'10" and loved the daybed. He said it was very comfortable.

I also agree that too many ADR can be too much. I hate it when you are enjoying yourself at the pool or another park and you keep checking the time knowing you have to leave to make it to your ADR. Constantly being on the run is what I do in 'real life'.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

If you go POLY, 2 of your teens will have to sleep together, and I know from our friends some just will not do it

We do not do the DDP because, like you mentioned, you are tied into ADRs and most of the vacation revolves around them. Plus we only like to do a couple TSs per trip, because it takes twice as long as eating at CSs.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

I love the Poly but as a fellow family of 5 it really is too cramped with only 1 bathroom and area to get ready each day. I'd consider ditching the dining plan and going with 2 rooms at POR, POFQ, or CSR for the bigger beds, slightly nicer amenities, and a little better on the wallet than a deluxe.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
rteetz
DIS Veteran

The all stars are great for a bargain but they are definitely not deluxe resorts if you want a nice relaxing hotel go to the poly if you want a hotel for less money that is less relaxed go to the values. The poly is amazing I'd much rather stay there any day but I can't afford every trip so we tend to stay at values. Both are good hotels but the food at the all stars is getting bad especially that your using the dining plan the poly is a much better option for the dining plan any day.

disney lover at heart

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

We are also a family with 2A, 3K (17, 15, 12) and our vote is for the Poly. We really enjoy our stays there and like the convenience of the monorail.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, so whichever way you go, don't kick yourself later about it, please.

I think in your shoes, I'd do the Poly without DDP.
Personally, I like the DDP and ADR's. Especially in the summer, it is nice knowing you have a place to sit and relax out of the heat, but that doesn't seem to fit with your family's need for a lack of structure. And, with the Poly, you have a convenient place to cool off in a very nice pool. I have stayed in a Poly room with 5 (one of the larger rooms), and it didn't seem cramped at all during our 4(?) night trip. So I wouldn't worry much about that. I think you'll miss the extra bathroom more than the extra space, but it may be a worthwhile trade off if you each can remember to give the others some personal space there.

Either way, you'll have a fantastic vacation!
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
I would ditch the dining plan and stay at the Poly. We traveled quite a bit with three teens, and the deluxe rooms with the daybed were always plenty roomy for us. There might have a few fights about the bathroom, but families are used to that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: