Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

It all depends on which cruise you are on. I guess we have always ended up with tons of repeat cruisers. Back in 2006 I was on at 3 a.m. ET [back when they opened at that time] and saw my reservations disappear as I was trying to confirm them. I ended up with nothing, but my private room request came through at 30 days so we did end up with a reservation before we boarded.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
cheerbearsmiles
Disney Princess of New Jersey!

I've been one on cruise on the Dream, with another coming up in 40 days. I can't answer your questions about the room, but my suggestion RE: the Palo brunch vs. dinner would be to do the brunch. That way, you don't miss any of the nights in the main dining rooms. This is important (at least in my mind) because you get a feel for what's served on the ships so you can plan around your kids' eating habits for when you do cruise with them. I'd save Remy for a night away from the kids on a future cruise

Also, I'd skip any treatments at the spa (manicures, pedicures, massages, etc). I haven't heard great things about the spa treatments and they're nearly double the price of things you can get on dry land. The only thing I'd recommend personally is the Rainforest Room. You can relax at your own pace and escape from the world there, even if only for a little while.
cheerbearsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
AJA55

Always has some spare pixie dust to offer a friend!
Need input

Not a vet but......

Iíve only done one DCL. And it was five nights.

We opted for Palo brunch because we didnít want to miss out on any of the dinner menus in the MDR.

So for breakfast we tried the MDR, the buffet and Palos. Palos was wonderful, the buffet was great and the MDR was fine.

I could not get Palosí ressies online but had no problem getting them on embarkation day.
AJA55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
In November 2010 we upgraded at the port to concierge (on the Magic 7-night Western from a category six to a one-bedroom suite, the upgrade cost was $1550). Yes, we thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to cruise in concierge again one day...but it has not spoiled regular stateroom cruising for us. I have since sailed in both a verandah stateroom and an inside stateroom since and have not missed the concierge benefits at all.

If you can swing it, go for the splurge!
Thanks - very helpful info!! I think we will see what is available the day we check in @ port. If it's not crazy expensive we will go for it. Maybe a splurge is in order, as we are celebrating our 18 wedding anniversary.
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbearsmiles View Post
I've been one on cruise on the Dream, with another coming up in 40 days. I can't answer your questions about the room, but my suggestion RE: the Palo brunch vs. dinner would be to do the brunch. That way, you don't miss any of the nights in the main dining rooms. This is important (at least in my mind) because you get a feel for what's served on the ships so you can plan around your kids' eating habits for when you do cruise with them. I'd save Remy for a night away from the kids on a future cruise

Also, I'd skip any treatments at the spa (manicures, pedicures, massages, etc). I haven't heard great things about the spa treatments and they're nearly double the price of things you can get on dry land. The only thing I'd recommend personally is the Rainforest Room. You can relax at your own pace and escape from the world there, even if only for a little while.
DIS board members are so helpful!! This is great info and helpful for my dining options. Also thanks for the heads up about the Spa. Think we will skip it. Thanks for taking time to answer my questions.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJA55 View Post
I’ve only done one DCL. And it was five nights.

We opted for Palo brunch because we didn’t want to miss out on any of the dinner menus in the MDR.

So for breakfast we tried the MDR, the buffet and Palos. Palos was wonderful, the buffet was great and the MDR was fine.

I could not get Palos’ ressies online but had no problem getting them on embarkation day.
Thanks for responding! Helpful info! Great to know that if I can't get ressie on line I might be able to do it @ port. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Is the 5E the extended balcony rooms on the Dream? I've always wanted to have one of those aft extended balcony rooms...
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #23
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC
Is the 5E the extended balcony rooms on the Dream? I've always wanted to have one of those aft extended balcony rooms...
Yup. That's what we have booked for our first cruise too. We were lucky enough to snag 10158. That one and 10658 are the corner ones where the verandah is extra big because it wraps around the corner. There's 5e on other decks too but I haven't researched the other decks as much. But for the most part they seem to be aft with oversized verandah.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC View Post
Glad someone answered you bc I do not know. Our TA just gave us options & we just "sorta" picked one. I am such a planner - I hate how unprepared I feel about cruising. Ordered the Passporter for DCL - must educate myself.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #25
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post

Yup. That's what we have booked for our first cruise too. We were lucky enough to snag 10158. That one and 10658 are the corner ones where the verandah is extra big because it wraps around the corner. There's 5e on other decks too but I haven't researched the other decks as much. But for the most part they seem to be aft with oversized verandah.
Thanks for answering the question. I know nothing about cruising or DCL. My extend of cruising sadly is the Love Boat which I watched every Saturday as a kid. Hate being unprepared - must educate myself before December.

Can I ask a question what is "aft"? Fun that it's an oversized balcony. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #26
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenntx

Thanks for answering the question. I know nothing about cruising or DCL. My extend of cruising sadly is the Love Boat which I watched every Saturday as a kid. Hate being unprepared - must educate myself before December.

Can I ask a question what is "aft"? Fun that it's an oversized balcony. Thanks for your help.
Aft just means the back of the boat.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #27
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post

Aft just means the back of the boat.
Great thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

I've only done one DCL cruise and so will be late in making ressies & reserving a check in time. We are hoping to upgrade at check in. If I can't get an early check in time but arrive at the port at 11 a.m. will I be allowed to check in?

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmesq61 View Post
I've only done one DCL cruise and so will be late in making ressies & reserving a check in time. We are hoping to upgrade at check in. If I can't get an early check in time but arrive at the port at 11 a.m. will I be allowed to check in?
Not if the port is busy.

We love Palo dinner and brunch and always do both. We don't mind missing an MDR for dinner. When we did our first cruise we got Palo booked no problem on our 4 night cruise.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #30
Hazeleyes536
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Yes, for first time cruisers on a 3 or 4 night cruise the number of available slots are less so by the time your booking window opens most are usually filled. They do keep some for onboard booking. Brunch is really what we enjoy the most at Palo and there is only one sea day on the 4-night, so that is really difficult to get. IDK how Remy goes, but I would expect the same experience.
not neccesarrily true.
we cruised on dcl for the first time last december and when i went to book Palo and Remy both ahd wide open times for ressies. so it wasnt hard to get one at all...

WDW April 2012, WDW March 2012, WDW May 2012, WDW October 2012,
DCL Dream December 2012, WDW December 2012, WDW June 2014
DCL Fantasy May 2015

Hazeleyes536 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: