Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #31
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDadof3 View Post
My wife my 3 children (14,8,6) are leaving in 1 week. We are driving down from Long Island. We are planning on driving straight through. My kids get out of school at 11:00 am and we plan on hopping in the car and leaving from there.
Any suggestions to keep the kids from killing each other and us from killing them?
Our kids are 14, 10 and 6 and we'll be hitting the road on the 20th! I bring lots of snacks, portable dvd player with a couple new movies, headphones and new books for them. Older 1 has a Kindle Fire and 10 y.o. an refurbed ipod touch, 6 y.o. a leapPad so this trip will be easier I hope!
My little guy loves maze and puzzle books so I got him new ones from amazon, they were buy 3 get the 4th free! Dry erase baords and markers are great too.
these Mad Art books are fun too. http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Mad-Art-...ywords=mad+art

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 06-14-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #32
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

My DD11 and I are driving down from Mid-Western Ontario in October. We're going to try out "car camping" at large truck stops along the way instead of paying for hotels - we're practicing in the back yard tonight! We've done a couple of long-distance drives like this together - Myrtle Beach and Eastman Georgia. Myrtle Beach I cracked up my car hitting a huge pothole in the dark. I hate driving in unfamiliar places in the dark! So my strategy is to start out in the tiny wee hours of the morning, as I am pretty familiar with the roads down to the border, and then drive until I am really really tired (once it starts to get dark) and then find a big travel plaza to hole up in for the night. Start out again at first light and hopefully be at Bonnet Creek before dark the second day! Wish us luck!!
December 1990 - One day in MGM Studios
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandynd View Post
My DD11 and I are driving down from Mid-Western Ontario in October. We're going to try out "car camping" at large truck stops along the way instead of paying for hotels - we're practicing in the back yard tonight! We've done a couple of long-distance drives like this together - Myrtle Beach and Eastman Georgia. Myrtle Beach I cracked up my car hitting a huge pothole in the dark. I hate driving in unfamiliar places in the dark! So my strategy is to start out in the tiny wee hours of the morning, as I am pretty familiar with the roads down to the border, and then drive until I am really really tired (once it starts to get dark) and then find a big travel plaza to hole up in for the night. Start out again at first light and hopefully be at Bonnet Creek before dark the second day! Wish us luck!!
Hmm. I don't know if I can sleep upright for more than one night at a time. I'm glad you're trying it out in the backyard before actually doing it on the road.

Where do you enter the border? Detroit? Sault Ste Marie? Or somewhere in Minnesota?

If my calculations are correct, our dates at Bonnet Creek may overlap. We're getting there on October 27th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #34
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan
Have any of you fellow travelers ever purchased a pre-paid visa/mastercard to use during your travel to and from Disney? We used our cc when we drove to Miami, but I was always so hesitant due to increasing cc theft and fraud. I was doing research online and I know that there are fees associated with the purchase/use and that really doesn't bother me. What I am concerned about is actually being able to use it for lunches and dinners as well as gas. Any comments or experiences would be appreciated. TIA!!
The only issue I had is you can't pay at the pump with the per paid cards
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Bay Lake Towers2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas2014 Saratoga Springs2014 Fantasy World Vacation Villas2014 Disney All Star Sports2014Royal Pacific Resort
Old 06-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #35
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post

Sharon!!!! I guess we are going to miss each other by about a week in December!!!! we are going down again for over Christmas. we are taking a Christmas tree again with us!! im sure briana will be working a lot but im sure she will get a day off along the week some where.
I can't believe it's been 3 years since our last meet-up. Lauren is doing marching band, chorus, performing arts camp, camp musical (Fame Jr.), and is trying out for a "big" show - Shrek the Musical which will be the entire month of December. If she gets in, then we'll have to postpone our trip to after Christmas. We'd arrive 12/28 if we do that - will you still be there? I'm thinking of making the reservation and then cancelling later if we don't need it. I don't want to get stuck without a room (or should I saw a room we can afford LOL). The prices at Christmas are ridiculous!!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #36
Mom*3
Earning My Ears

New to this board and just checking in. Our first time driving to Disney although we have driven to other parts of Florida many times!

5 of us - Me, DH, DS16, DD13, DD11
Overland Park, KS - Disney
1260 miles - one way
18.5 hours - one way

(DS16) (DD13) (DD11)

7/2013 Dolphin
7/2012 Coronado Springs
8/2005 Dolphin
9/2004 Polynesian

7/2008 Disneyland/DCA

Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #37
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post

Hmm. I don't know if I can sleep upright for more than one night at a time. I'm glad you're trying it out in the backyard before actually doing it on the road.

Where do you enter the border? Detroit? Sault Ste Marie? Or somewhere in Minnesota?

If my calculations are correct, our dates at Bonnet Creek may overlap. We're getting there on October 27th.
Hey!! We're actually going to be there at the same time - we start out the 25th and start back the 2nd! I think we'll hit the border at Detroit - still pondering the best down. That would be cool to cross paths!

We're camped out in the car right now! We folded the backseats down, put pillows down and are sleeping with our feet in the trunk lol!! I'll let you know how we're feeling in the morning!

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 AM   #38
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

Ok, so it's 3:20, and we've learned:

* no laptop in the "bed" - it's amazing how much room that thing takes up in a subcompact car!

* we need camping mats!

* more blankets on cold nights!

* he who locked the side door of the house is in big trouble !!!! Lol

Old 06-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #39
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, so it's 3:20, and we've learned:

* no laptop in the "bed" - it's amazing how much room that thing takes up in a subcompact car!
So it's going to be you and your 12 year old sleeping in a subcompact. I still think that's going to be crowded.

Have you tried it with all your luggage in the car? That's going to be a lot of room right there.

Quote:
* we need camping mats!
At least. At my age, I'd need an air mattress, and thats too big. (BTW, we're experienced tent campers). We've only slept in the car once. That was 12 years ago in NY state. We started looking for rooms too late, and we couldn't get one for less than $150/night. We were driving a full sized van at the time, so it wasn't too bad. At the time, there were two adults, and two above-average-sized teen-aged girls.

Quote:
* more blankets on cold nights!
Yup. Huge thing. I'm not sure if you're sleeping in the car for one night or two nights. But October/November nights north of Florida is going to be cold.

Quote:
* he who locked the side door of the house is in big trouble !!!! Lol
Can't help you there.

Quote:
Yeah, a laptop would be too clunky to use in a subcompact. But I would think an iPod touch would be OK.

Did you say you'd be taking one day down (leaving the 26th) or two days (leaving the 25th)?

Quote:

Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #40
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Are you familiar with traveling and stopping at truck stops in the US? They are not all safe. Pick carefuly ahead of time. What will you do about ventilation? Close all the windows and things get damp. But if you leave a window open, bugs or rain.

It may be very difficult to get a good - and safe - night sleep in a subcompact. Why not take a tent and stop at a campground. If you plan ahead you could find a state park not far off the road that would be cheap with limited facilities.

$20 or $30 might be worth the nights sleep and safety.

Just my opinion. Good luck either way!

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #41
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Are you familiar with traveling and stopping at truck stops in the US? They are not all safe. Pick carefuly ahead of time. What will you do about ventilation? Close all the windows and things get damp. But if you leave a window open, bugs or rain.

It may be very difficult to get a good - and safe - night sleep in a subcompact. Why not take a tent and stop at a campground. If you plan ahead you could find a state park not far off the road that would be cheap with limited facilities.

$20 or $30 might be worth the nights sleep and safety.

Just my opinion. Good luck either way!
I was thinking the same thing. I would be afraid to do that with a 12 yo. The hotels aren't that expensive the further south you get. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #42
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

Yes, I've thought long and hard about doing this too. I've researched the flying j and pilot truck stops, and I think I am pretty confident with either. Well-lit, busy 24 hours. we are planning to put blackout shades on the windows, and we can pretty much sleep through any noise. ventilation was not a problem last night - we cracked the windows, but not enough to get wet. it dropped into the 40's last night where we are, so we woke up shivering and decided to go in. we could do the same at a truck stop - we can go into the lounge if we get cold. Personally I feel a lot safer in a car with locks than in a tent! Lol!!! I guess I'm sort of adventurous if I've thought things through, but keep the comments coming - I want to make sure I have thought it all the way through before we do it.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #43
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Personally I feel a lot safer in a car with locks than in a tent!
Now, you're making me feel nervous about our tent camping trip over the 4th of July weekend.

Honestly, I'm not going to worry tent camping, and I probably wouldn't worry about car camping at the Flying J if I had my 6' 4" husband with me. However, you won't have the luxury of a man accompany you. You'll probably be OK. I trust you'll keep your door locked at all times, and I think there's enough security cameras around.

I'd still think about a motel room. You can pick up coupon books at nearly every rest area along I-75. I'm going to assume you'll be taking the I-75 route.

You didn't answer...are you leaving on Friday or Saturday? 'Cause if you leave on Friday, you'll probably stay overnight close to us. We'll leave early Saturday morning, and I can see us travelling within a few miles of each other all the way down to Bonnet Creek.

Quote:

Old 06-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #44
sandynd
Rookie Desperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post

Now, you're making me feel nervous about our tent camping trip over the 4th of July weekend.

Honestly, I'm not going to worry tent camping, and I probably wouldn't worry about car camping at the Flying J if I had my 6' 4" husband with me. However, you won't have the luxury of a man accompany you. You'll probably be OK. I trust you'll keep your door locked at all times, and I think there's enough security cameras around.

I'd still think about a motel room. You can pick up coupon books at nearly every rest area along I-75. I'm going to assume you'll be taking the I-75 route.

You didn't answer...are you leaving on Friday or Saturday? 'Cause if you leave on Friday, you'll probably stay overnight close to us. We'll leave early Saturday morning, and I can see us travelling within a few miles of each other all the way down to Bonnet Creek.
Sorry to make you nervous! I've never been much of a tenter myself. But obviously people do it and love it! We're leaving home early Friday morning. I'm debating whether to head over to Clearwater on the Saturday depending on which way we go and when we get close - get a little beach time in to start off the trip, then check in to BC on Sunday, as that's when our reservation starts. We could stay at the KOA campground that night for sure. We've found a sleeping configuration that's good for each of us and leaves luggage room too! We're nothing if not efficient

Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #45
Ladygoldenhair
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono View Post
Whew! I thought it was a "Are we/Are we not going?" decision. We were going to have to talk some sense into you in that case!
Lol, well, my ds wants to actually spend money to go to the shore with gf and kids instead of Disney! If its the gang we would drive, but Allegiant rates local are so dang inexpensive, tempting......or we could go dur ing Holidays instead to see Christmas at the World.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: