Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
married2mm
DIS Veteran

is there a kind of unspoken snobbery between resorts?

By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-
but say you're staying at all stars -"that's great "says cm.
Staying at grand floridian-"how wonderful "says another.

Anyone had any experience of this?
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

I've never noticed anything like that....we've stayed at a few of the mods and at the GF. All the CM's seem very helpful and very pleasant.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-

I don't think it is unspoken. It is simple fact that the Grand Floridian is a better resort than the All Stars. I would sometimes tell people who were staying at the Poly how jealous I was and that it was a great place to watch the fireworks. I wouldn't get into too much detailed conversation if someone told me they were staying at an All Star. I might ask which one but not much beyond that.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I've never noticed this from CMs. I would think that 99% of them are much too professional to do something so crass.

As for guests- of course it happens. You really can't expect that every guest has the class or consideration to avoid turning up their noses at the mention of value resorts. Unfortunate, but that's life. Just ignore it if it happens; those types of people aren't worth being bothered about.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I've never noticed this from CMs. I would think that 99% of them are much too professional to do something so crass.

As for guests- of course it happens. You really can't expect that every guest has the class or consideration to avoid turning up their noses at the mention of value resorts. Unfortunate, but that's life. Just ignore it if it happens; those types of people aren't worth being bothered about.
That's good to hear about cms.

And the guests you describe in your last sentence- so true minnie mum,not worth the time of day.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

We've only stayed Moderate, i.e. POR and Deluxe (including GF). We are a family of 5. We don't get into the battle of the classes. Think it is ridiculous. We choose our resort based on the type of vacation we like, comfort and what we can afford. We know several people who have huge incomes and great financial success that choose to stay at value resorts. They are just frugal by nature. We also know many people that live beyond their means and vacation beyond their means giving a different impression. No one should judge anyone. You really don't know anyone's back story. We just focus on ourselves and enjoy your own vacation. We have not noticed this snobbery specifically at different resorts. On occasion, we have noticed it staying Club Level which with think is ridiculous. We have paid less for Club Level at times than a Standard Room
Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I've stayed in all ranges--from GF RPC on the Platinum Plan to Pop in a standard room. I've never noticed any differences in the resort guests or in how I was treated by CMs.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at all levels and never noticed different levels of perceived "snobbery".

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I've stayed in all ranges--from GF RPC on the Platinum Plan to Pop in a standard room. I've never noticed any differences in the resort guests or in how I was treated by CMs.
Same here

considering a lot of guests take advantage of decent discounts/PINs/etc to stay in the deluxe resorts there's certainly no need to assume someone is 'better' because they're staying at a certain resort. I've stayed at moderates and deluxes (often without a discount) as I'm in the UK and even with a general discount the rate of exchange hasn't always made it beneficial, I've ended up paying more to stay in a moderate than friends who had a discount to stay in a deluxe.

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
ClareH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

I shouldn't have said unspoken snobbery but I was pointing out that in conversation I have much more to talk to them about if they are staying at a certain resort. I love Pop and share that with people when they are staying there or talk about the beauty of Poly or GF. There are also resorts I know nothing about and others I just would have no clue how to talk about even though I've stayed there. I don't find the All Stars particularly great so I know the different areas but wouldn't rave about the views or anything. So I guess not snobbery but different topics of conversation.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.
I thought the credit card limits are set by the guests. I thought that I was asked at check in if I wanted to set a limit on my charges.

Maybe I am misremembering this.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
I have to say, you raise an interesting point.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
I thought the credit card limits are set by the guests. I thought that I was asked at check in if I wanted to set a limit on my charges.

Maybe I am misremembering this.
Not in the 5 years we have been going. It has always been based on the level of resort. WE were at AoA last trip and had to have it charged to the credit card mid trip.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-

Nope, never had this experience. My DH and I have stayed value, moderate, and deluxe and have never heard or seen this from guests or cm's.
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: