Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #136
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

My grandma took me to Disney World in 1988 - just the two of us. I was 14 and it was my first trip to WDW. My first trip across the Mississippi for that matter. It felt like a world away for this former California girl.

It was a hot, sunny, humid day in mid-July. We were in Epcot and had just crossed the bridge into the UK when the skies unexpectedly opened up and it started to pour. We dashed into the pub and luckily found a table. I tasted my first fish and chips and felt that I had truly been transported to London. It was magical. I loved every minute of that trip, particularly my travels around the World Showcase. Pretzels in Germany, practicing my schoolgirl French at the bakery, watching the acrobats in China.

My favorite Disney memory of all is from the Land, however. Also featuring my Grandma, this time giggling her way through Star Tours. She laughed so much and so loudly that the CMs gave us another ride. I can't ride Star Tours at either WDW or DL without imagining her beside me. She's been gone for many years and I miss her terribly so ST always leaves me a little misty.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #137
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

I've related this in other threads but never tire of telling it. I take DD to WDW for her birthday every year for several years now. In 2010 we attended our very first CRT breakfast on the day of her birthday. We arrived at MK early well before park opening and I made her stop at every PP photographer for pictures in front of the castle. She was very excited and determined to get to the breakfast so we arrived well before our reservation. The CM checking rezzies looked us up then referred to another CM, obviously a manager, with a quizzical look. He replied "Go ahead and send them." I assumed this meant because we were early. As it turned out it must have been because Cinderella was at the end of her shift. We entered the castle to find her with no line. Cinderella made a huge fuss over it being DD's actual birthday and spent quite a bit of time talking to her and posing for pictures. She then invited us to ride up with her in the "Royal Elevator." We arrived at the dining room and Cinderella gave DD a big hug and bade farewell. After she left DD looked up at me with tears in her eyes and asked "Did that really just happen?"

Actually now that I think about it this post is misplaced. I don't need to "wish" to relive that moment. I do it all the time in my memory.
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #138
spidet1964
Mouseketeer

It's very simple and sounds corny but it has to be when I saw the castle for the first time. It was truly magical even though I was 45years old at the time.

]
spidet1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #139
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Proposal from my husband inside the castle almost 3 years ago!

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #140
curious3069
Mouseketeer

#1 - we went to Disney as kids several times, so when my nieces were 2 & 5, my sister & I decided to drive from IL to take them for their first time. 15 hour drive, the two year old threw up about 20 miles from the Disney property line, we. were. frazzled. Pulled up to the Poly to the nicest cast members who helped with the luggage, had plenty of stickers for the girls, got inside to check in. Again, wonderful CM at the front desk when my sister turns to me in tears, they had upgraded us to a concierge level castle view room. Disney Magic at its finest and turned out to be a really lucky twist of fate, the 2 year old ended up with strep throat (hence the throwing up) and to be able to walk down to a desk and say "Help please" was beyond a relief.

#2 - Trip with my sister, 2 nieces, me and my parents. First night and we didn't really have a plan other than going to the MK. Ended up coming out of Small World right as the fireworks started..not a great fireworks view, but it lit up Fantasyland and all of us, adults and kids just stood there and cheered and laughed. A completely spontaneous moment that still makes me tear up.

#3 - The entire family dancing in Epcot England after a wine-fueled dinner at Via Napoli. I'd pay good $$ to see pictures of my Dad and Bro-in-law doing this!
curious3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #141
Nayru42
Earning My Ears

Keep 'em comming!
Top 7 WDW Rides: Rock N Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Expedition Everest, Soarin, Toy Story Mania, Tower Of Terror

Nayru42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #142
MYD714
Please stand clear of the doors...

I have so many, but here are the first ones that come to mind:

1. The moment DH proposed in MK. I wasn't aware of what was happening in the moment and, as usual, I wasn't really listening to DH as he was talking. I missed the entire proposal only to turn around and find him on one knee with a ring. It's taught me to be a better listener...sort of.

2. My 6yo niece's first time on Splash. We were able to ride 5 times in a row without getting off during MSEP. We could've gone 6 times but we had to give up after 5 due to numb bottoms. It was awesome!

3. My first ride on Space Mt. I was 6yo and rode with my dad. He can't ride anymore due to back issues and I'd give anything to experience it with him again.

4. Our last night at the Adventurers' Club. We've never laughed so hard. Dad was labeled "flag man" due to his old navy flag tshirt and was forced to sway like the flag while they sang a 4th of July tribute. DH was wearing a backpack and was introduced to the crowd as "Sven the Mountain Climber." It was a great night.

MYD714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #143
td4298
Earning My Ears

I've got two...

The first was actually Disneyland but it was on the Tower of Terror. It was our first trip to ANY Disney. My wife doesn't do well on rides with big drops. Somehow, we talked her into going on it. I have never seen anyone who looked like they were about to legitimately die, until that day. After the first drop, I looked over at her and saw the most terrified look I've ever seen on a person. I couldn't help but laugh, despite fighting my own fear on the ride at the time. My friend on the other side of her grabbed the center railing and said something to the effect "why is there just a metal railing to hold on to?!!" Then he looked down and realized he was grabbing my wife's hand. She was clutching the center railing so hard that her hand felt like steel!!!

The second memory happened during our first trip to the world in January 2012. On expedition everest, we had ridden a bunch of times to know exactly when the picture was taken. Me, my wife, and two sons all pretended to be puking during the picture and we couldn't have timed it any better. Everyone's fake-puke-face is priceless. It was my favorite picture from that year because we laughed and laughed at it. I ended up getting it on a coffee mug through our photopass account. That mug sits in my office and reminds me every day about how magical and fun life can be with the people you love.
td4298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #144
The Second Star
Earning My Ears

One of my favorite moments was on a family trip in 2011. We went on Figment for the first time. My sister and I in the front, my mom and dad in the back. It was walk on and another couple was in the vehicle behind us and no one else. Where we get to the point near the end where it gets all dark, and then the lights come on, the music gets loud and air gets blown on you. Well my mother wasn't expecting it. So when the lights come on, with all the noise and the air blowing on her, she started to scream and her arms went failing. And my dad, who had his arm around her, got hit from her failing arms, so he started to scream. So they both were screaming. I remember turning over to look at the couple behind us, cracking up. My mom was so red and she hates Figment to this day. It's one of my favorite memories at Disney.
The Second Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #145
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Second Star View Post
One of my favorite moments was on a family trip in 2011. We went on Figment for the first time. My sister and I in the front, my mom and dad in the back. It was walk on and another couple was in the vehicle behind us and no one else. Where we get to the point near the end where it gets all dark, and then the lights come on, the music gets loud and air gets blown on you. Well my mother wasn't expecting it. So when the lights come on, with all the noise and the air blowing on her, she started to scream and her arms went failing. And my dad, who had his arm around her, got hit from her failing arms, so he started to scream. So they both were screaming. I remember turning over to look at the couple behind us, cracking up. My mom was so red and she hates Figment to this day. It's one of my favorite memories at Disney.
I needed a good chuckle to end my work day!

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #146
pampam
DIS Veteran

I remember being on Space Mountain , and hearing the screaming, as usual. When we were getting out of the cars, this more mature man ahead of us was getting out too, and all he could say to the members of his party was YOU LIED! YOU LIED!. We were not in his party of course, but we laughed! We laughed!
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #147
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

I've really enjoyed reading these. Any more?

Dan
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #148
GadgetTheInventor
Mouseketeer

My first trip to the MK as an adult with my fiancee when we happened to get a front-row seat in front of the castle for the MSEP and then Wishes after. The entire day was magical, but having her in my arms as we watched the fireworks burst overhead was quite romantic.

I actually have it penciled-in to relive this memory since she lost many of her memories after having brain surgery earlier this year to remove a tumor. The next time around I will definitely have a camcorder! It's kind of funny how after seeing that she owned a WDW t-shirt (from the trip I mentioned above), she told me very excitedly that we should honeymoon there. This was at a time when she had no memory of our life before waking up from her surgery and I hadn't even told her that we had been to WDW. She didn't even have any conscious knowledge of what Disney or WDW was, and I still have no idea where her suggestion came from!
GadgetTheInventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #149
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

In 1982 I was in the Navy stationed in Orlando. My now wife and I had just recently became engaged. My parents came down to meet her and we had a "date" with my parents at the new Epcot for the whole day. It was a wonderful day and we all loved Epcot, it is our favorite park. My parents loved Patty and they have gotten along ever since. Both my parents passed away; Mom in 2007, Dad in 2010. I will always remember that wonderful day at Epcot. This September we will be celebrating Patty's 50th and our 30th anniversary early (It's in February) but I know that day in 1982 will be on my mind as we tour Epcot.

God is good.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #150
TinkerBella17
Earning My Ears

Just being with my family in Disney World when I was younger. Those are some of the happiest memories of my life. Disney is so magical as a child, everything seems right with the world while you are there. I still get that wonderful feeling everytime I am there.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away!

All you need is FAITH, trust and a little pixie dust
TinkerBella17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: