Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
Thank you! Can I ask you more dumb questions from someone who doesn't cook much?

1) When you say brown it, you would do that without any flavoring, because the flavoring is in the chili's and onions and Dr. Peppers right? Just put it in a pan with a little hot oil?

2) I really really love cooked onions. Could I add more on the bottom?

Thanks!
I spray the butt with cooking spray, Salt Pepper on the outside of the butt heavy enough to 'see' but not a thick layer, a little more spray oil in the pan then lay each side until it is 'toasted' in color.

I have totally skipped this step (well I still salt and pepper) if I was short on time. It tastes just as good, just no chared bites.

You can add as many onions as you want, however the onions are just as spicy as the peppers and they are crazy hot (from sitting in the liquid) I always strain them out of the liquid after cooking. A little will go a long way.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #32
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

I have a 10 lb pork shoulder/butt in the oven right now! Its been there nearly 4 hours and smells great, but has a long way to go! I have it on 250.

I use this recipe... I doubled the rub, because this particular shoulder is huge. It says "serves 8 with lots of leftovers... not in my experience! Especially once your removed all the fat, etc while pulling it. I did 4 lbs once, it fed 7 of us with just a little leftover. Everyone had at least 2 sandwiches though...because it is SOOOO good! Also, I don't put barbecue sauce on the meat, I put it on the side. Its so good without it!

Ingredients ~
3 to 4 lb Boston butt pork roast
1 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup water

For the rub ~
3 tablespoons paprika
1-1/2 tablespoons salt
1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preparation ~
Preheat the oven to 225°F.

Prepare the pork ~
Mix all of the ingredients for the rub together in a small bowl. Trim any large pieces of exterior fat from the pork if desired. Pat the rub mixture on all sides of the pork and place uncovered, in a dutch oven. Roast uncovered for 1 hour.

Remove from the oven, brush with the olive oil, add the water, cover and return to the oven for about 5 more hours, until the pork is tender and pulls apart easily with a fork. Roasting time is about 90 to 100 minutes per pound.

Transfer the pork to a large platter and allow to cool enough to handle. With two dinner forks, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces, removing any large chunks of fat in the process.

Makes 8 servings (with lots of leftovers)
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: