Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

From TASTE of HOME:

4 lb roast ( beef or pork)

1 large onion
1 c Ketchup
1/4 c Lemon juice
3 T Worchestershire Sauce
2 T Vinegar
2 T Brown Sugar
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t liquid smoke

In the slow cooker (crock-pot) on low 8-9 hrs.

After 4/5 hrs I start shredding it with 2 forks.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smschex View Post
Pioneer Woman has a very easy recipe that sounds a little weird, but tastes absolutely delicious.

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...shredded-pork/
Made this last week with root beer instead if Dr. P. Very easy - very good.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Tralliam
Mouseketeer

I have to admit i've been a bad lazy Texan lately and haven't fired up my smoker. Definitely go for a shoulder/Boston Butt. Having done both Crockpot and oven, I recommend against the crockpot. The large amount of fat in that cut of meat pools and tends to make the meat taste grainy.

I rub with a little brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, paprika. In the oven on a roasting rack over a pan filled with water and cider vinegar. Be sure and cook the heck out of it to at least 165. You want to make sure when you poke it there is zero resistance or you will have tough spots.
Tralliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
heatherleigh
DIS Veteran

I just made this yesterday. It is my son's favorite. I use a pork loin, and put it in a slow cooker w/ A Can of rootbeer & onion on "low" for 7 hrs. I drain it, and add BBQ sauce & shred it w/ 2 forks at the end.
AK Trip Report 6/10: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2501164
heatherleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I probably have the easiest pulled pork "recipe" lol. But everywhere I take it, people compliment me on it and want the recipe. I feel embarrassed admitting that there IS no recipe, lol.

Pork butt
1 jar of favorite bbq sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle)

I just throw butt in crockpot and turn on low for 15-20 hours (cook overnight and into next day).

No water, it makes its own liquid (as long as you don't open cover!)

I pull out the pork the next day and put into a large bowl. It's so freaking tender that it's hard to get out of the crockpot because it just falls apart so easily.

Shred with a couple of forks a few times and add the sauce. Mix well and serve on rolls. Delish!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
doxdogy
Owned by doxies!
I remember the day I turned into my parents

Here you go:

http://tidymom.net/2009/amazing-pulled-pork/

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.a...ead_id=3211063

http://www.ehow.com/how_5011453_cook...o-roaster.html
doxdogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Easiest and best tasting pulled pork recipe I've come across:

Pork butt/shoulder (however large will fit in the crockpot. Mine is usually 3 - 5 lb depending on the shape).

Rub the shoulder with salt/pepper and toss it in the crockpot.

Pour in 1/2 - 1c brewed coffee

Toss in a few beef bullion cubes

Add a few dashes liquid smoke

Cook 8 hours on low (I always do 12 hours on low just for a little extra tenderness and ease in pulling).

It'll fall apart making it super easy to shred. Easy and really delicious. My DH's family doesn't like BBQ sauce so having the pork taste good plain is a must! We'll just toss a bottle of BBQ sauce out and people can add it on if they feel like it. If it starts to dry out while in the crockpot after shredding during the event I'll just pour on a little more coffee to re-moisten.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
denisem
DIS Veteran

OP, I've never used a roaster oven, but I imagine it's similar to a regular oven recipe - just do it low and slow.

I did a google and found a recipe for the Nesco that uses a modified version of a Pioneer Woman recipe - maybe this will help on your temps and timing:

http://tidymom.net/2009/amazing-pulled-pork/
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

My Wife has this down pat.

6 tbs salt kosher
8 tbs paprika
5 tbs pepper
6 tbs garlic powder
3 tbs onion powder
2 tbs oregano
2 tbs thyme
2 tbs mustard

Rub the shoulder or butt and let it sit overnight.
Cook low and slow in the oven to temp of 200degrees. Let rest 30 minutes before pulling.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smschex View Post
Pioneer Woman has a very easy recipe that sounds a little weird, but tastes absolutely delicious.

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...shredded-pork/
I actually do this in my crockpot it's the bomb and everyone loves it. It's probably the best amatuer pulled pork I've ever had. (not mine in particular, just flavor wise in general)

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #26
muffyn
"hmmm*

I am still confused about the pork
went to walmart & they had 2 different types
Pork shoulder picnic roast $1.38 lb
Pork Shoulder Butt Roast $1.98 lb
each almost 10 lbs (btw how much would that feed?)

so which should I use? whats the diff?
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #27
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post
I am still confused about the pork
went to walmart & they had 2 different types
Pork shoulder picnic roast $1.38 lb
Pork Shoulder Butt Roast $1.98 lb
each almost 10 lbs (btw how much would that feed?)

so which should I use? whats the diff?
Not worth the price difference. Just get the picnic.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #28
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
I actually do this in my crockpot it's the bomb and everyone loves it. It's probably the best amatuer pulled pork I've ever had. (not mine in particular, just flavor wise in general)
I want to try that. I am rarely at home and awake for six hours straight, so I'd love a crockpot recipe and we like spicy in our family. How exactly do you do it?

Onions in the bottom, sit the butt on top, pour the chiles and Dr. Pepper over, set it and forget it? How hot and how long?
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I want to try that. I am rarely at home and awake for six hours straight, so I'd love a crockpot recipe and we like spicy in our family. How exactly do you do it?

Onions in the bottom, sit the butt on top, pour the chiles and Dr. Pepper over, set it and forget it? How hot and how long?
I do 8-10 hours on low. If I am pressed for time I'll do 2-3 hours on high then another 3 on low, but really low works best and I do it overnight lots of times so that I can just leave it on low for a long time.

I also like browning it before hand so that you get a 'bark' on it.

Onions on bottom, with butt sitting on it. Then chilis, then liquid, then brown sugar.

If you put the chilies on top you get a less intense flavor so I leave 2 or 3 on top but put the rest around the bottom in the liquid.

I add the sugar on top of the chilis after the liquid, so that it melts down and sort of carmalizes on top.

I use one small can so if I'm going to make it for those who like the smoke flavor but don't want a kick I will put only half the can and then all the actual chilis on top.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
I do 8-10 hours on low. If I am pressed for time I'll do 2-3 hours on high then another 3 on low, but really low works best and I do it overnight lots of times so that I can just leave it on low for a long time.

I also like browning it before hand so that you get a 'bark' on it.

Onions on bottom, with butt sitting on it. Then chilis, then liquid, then brown sugar.

If you put the chilies on top you get a less intense flavor so I leave 2 or 3 on top but put the rest around the bottom in the liquid.

I add the sugar on top of the chilis after the liquid, so that it melts down and sort of carmalizes on top.

I use one small can so if I'm going to make it for those who like the smoke flavor but don't want a kick I will put only half the can and then all the actual chilis on top.
Thank you! Can I ask you more dumb questions from someone who doesn't cook much?

1) When you say brown it, you would do that without any flavoring, because the flavoring is in the chili's and onions and Dr. Peppers right? Just put it in a pan with a little hot oil?

2) I really really love cooked onions. Could I add more on the bottom?

Thanks!
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: