Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
francis6306
DIS Veteran

So, my husband posted on Facebook about our upcoming Disney trip, and his parents saw the post. They asked if they could come. I struggle with this- because I know there are some families that get along great and everyone truly has a wonderful time… but I'm not always sure that's always the case. My MIL tends to be "ONE BIG HAPPY!" type and I'm way more go with the flow. Corey and I even split up with the girls and go off on our own even when it's just the 4 of us. I'm afraid that my MIL would be upset if we weren't all together all the time, you know? It's a lot to think about. One idea we had, was to tell them that we'd love for them to come half way through our trip. That way we can have OUR family vacation, but then they could come along for the last few days of the trip. They've never done Disney, so they don't really know what a big deal some of this stuff is. And how do you explain that to people who have never been?

Anyway, just throwing that out there.

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
So, my husband posted on Facebook about our upcoming Disney trip, and his parents saw the post. They asked if they could come. I struggle with this- because I know there are some families that get along great and everyone truly has a wonderful time… but I'm not always sure that's always the case. My MIL tends to be "ONE BIG HAPPY!" type and I'm way more go with the flow. Corey and I even split up with the girls and go off on our own even when it's just the 4 of us. I'm afraid that my MIL would be upset if we weren't all together all the time, you know? It's a lot to think about. One idea we had, was to tell them that we'd love for them to come half way through our trip. That way we can have OUR family vacation, but then they could come along for the last few days of the trip. They've never done Disney, so they don't really know what a big deal some of this stuff is. And how do you explain that to people who have never been?

I was just going to suggest that. that they come for half of the trip. Actually it would be great for you and them if you arrived early, then did your thing, spend about 2-3 days together and then they should stay another 2- 3 days and explore on their own.
I would be honest with them too that you will enjoy spending time together, but you know there will times they won't keep up with your touring style and it will be good to seperate. She may take the girls for at times too.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So, my husband posted on Facebook about our upcoming Disney trip, and his parents saw the post. They asked if they could come. I struggle with this- because I know there are some families that get along great and everyone truly has a wonderful time& but I'm not always sure that's always the case. My MIL tends to be "ONE BIG HAPPY!" type and I'm way more go with the flow. Corey and I even split up with the girls and go off on our own even when it's just the 4 of us. I'm afraid that my MIL would be upset if we weren't all together all the time, you know? It's a lot to think about. One idea we had, was to tell them that we'd love for them to come half way through our trip. That way we can have OUR family vacation, but then they could come along for the last few days of the trip. They've never done Disney, so they don't really know what a big deal some of this stuff is. And how do you explain that to people who have never been?

First off, I must post this disclaimer: I really really enjoyed our trip to Disney with my Mama. I am more than happy that she went and that we made such special memories. I won't ever ever forget them!

Now, let me tell you this: It's tough navigating Disney with a family/group. There's always someone (insert my Mama) who feels the need to keep her eyes on every single person in the group. If somebody stops to look at something and tells you to keep on going, that one someone (insert my Mama) is going to stop dead in their tracks until that person catches up. I know that one someone (insert my Mama) feels like everybody needs to stay together because they, themselves, are unfamiliar with their surroundings and are afraid to get separated from the group.

My mother had forgotten how very big Disney was and how much waiting, stopping, starting, line standing was involved. Not that she ever complained. She never did. A newbie can never ever understand the enormity of Disney. They won't understand that it's not an amusement park like Six Flags. They won't understand how many people will be all around them at all times of the day. They won't understand how hard it will be to keep a group together at all times. They simply won't "get it".

For me, it's tough to come right out and say something when those type of situations occur. I don't want anyone to ever ever feel like they are a burden or a hindrance.

I think that your idea of them coming along for half of the trip is a great idea. That way, ya'll can get as much done as you want before they arrive and still save some things for you all to see together.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I was just going to suggest that. that they come for half of the trip. Actually it would be great for you and them if you arrived early, then did your thing, spend about 2-3 days together and then they should stay another 2- 3 days and explore on their own.
I would be honest with them too that you will enjoy spending time together, but you know there will times they won't keep up with your touring style and it will be good to seperate. She may take the girls for at times too.
I know… it's bad to sit and think "DATE NIGHT!!" but I don't want the price of that us being annoyed or her getting upset about something during the day…

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
First off, I must post this disclaimer: I really really enjoyed our trip to Disney with my Mama. I am more than happy that she went and that we made such special memories. I won't ever ever forget them!

Now, let me tell you this: It's tough navigating Disney with a family/group. There's always someone (insert my Mama) who feels the need to keep her eyes on every single person in the group. If somebody stops to look at something and tells you to keep on going, that one someone (insert my Mama) is going to stop dead in their tracks until that person catches up. I know that one someone (insert my Mama) feels like everybody needs to stay together because they, themselves, are unfamiliar with their surroundings and are afraid to get separated from the group.

My mother had forgotten how very big Disney was and how much waiting, stopping, starting, line standing was involved. Not that she ever complained. She never did. A newbie can never ever understand the enormity of Disney. They won't understand that it's not an amusement park like Six Flags. They won't understand how many people will be all around them at all times of the day. They won't understand how hard it will be to keep a group together at all times. They simply won't "get it".

For me, it's tough to come right out and say something when those type of situations occur. I don't want anyone to ever ever feel like they are a burden or a hindrance.

I think that your idea of them coming along for half of the trip is a great idea. That way, ya'll can get as much done as you want before they arrive and still save some things for you all to see together.
Lisa… haha… Thank you! I like the honesty. That's why I put it out here! I know you guys wouldn't judge me but have some honest feedback about your own family trips! Thank you! (and I think my MIL would be the same way. Just wants us all together because SHE'S not comfortable in her surroundings).

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
Old 06-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

And I knew that ya'll wouldn't judge me when I talked about how one someone (insert my Mama ) could throw off the park touring.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #21
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
And I knew that ya'll wouldn't judge me when I talked about how one someone (insert my Mama ) could throw off the park touring.
Yes. And we know how much trouble someone (insert LISA) would get into trying to get their Mama some bread!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes. And we know how much trouble someone (insert LISA) would get into trying to get their Mama some bread!
True! Very true!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
francis6306
DIS Veteran

So, I'm starting my spreadsheet for our trip. I'm sure all of you have a spreadsheet set up right??? Color Coded and all the info ready??? RIGHT??

Anyway, Of course, I have no idea what the park hours are going to be yet, but Touring Plans does have their "predictions" up. This is what I'm looking at:

Date/ Crowd prediction/ Best park/ Worse Park
Sun, March 9, 2014 7 out of 10 EP AK
Mon, March 10, 2014 8 out of 10 EP HS
Tue, March 11, 2014 7 out of 10 MK HS AK
Wed, March 12, 2014 8 out of 10 EP AK
Thu, March 13, 2014 9 out of 10 EP MK
Fri, March 14, 2014 9 out of 10 AK EP
Sat, March 15, 2014 9 out of 10 EP HS
Sun, March 16, 2014 8 out of 10 EP AK

I'm a little surprised at how Epcot heavy this is. I am POSITIVE this will change as time goes on, since it is likely that the Flower Garden Festival will be starting around this time. But I thought I would post it here, so I can come back and see how things have changed as we go! I really did think that the crowds would be lower, since this is the beginning of the college world spring breaks. But I'm hoping since it is college spring break, that there won't be terrible crowds during the day! Luckily, our school system follows the college schedule, since the majority of students have at least one parent that works at the university.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
francis6306
DIS Veteran

I'm also starting to think about what dining reservations that I'm hoping to make! I'm guessing you want to see my list, huh?? Here are some of the places we're considering while were at the Parks!

Places we've been New places.

MK:
Cinderella's Royal table- We've been here before. We enjoyed it, but it's a little spendy. I know both of the girls would enjoy it. If Corey's parents came, it would be an iconic "Disney" experience.
Crystal Palace-We have never been here. I know Catie would like Pooh- but is she ready for characters?

EPCOT
Teppan Edo- I have heard LOTS of good reviews on this place. Before, we had lots of chinese/Japanese options, so I didn't feel like it was a contender. NOW, we live in the middle of now where and there aren't ANY good asian places.
Coral Reef- I think this would be a lot of fun for the girls. They LOVE looking at fishies! We went to the Aquarium Restaurant in Nashville and they LOVED it. Catie DOWNED some calamari while we were there!
Le Ceiller- I think this goes without saying…
Garden Grove- Maybe??!!? It would be a good character meal option over there…
Akershus- We did breakfast last year, an we were NOT impressed. But we LOVED the character interaction. Maybe dinner or lunch??
Rose and Crown- Corey's parents would like this. They are always looking for a good english/pub like place.

Hollywood Studios
Hollywood and Vine- A solid breakfast option AND if we can get a pre-opening ressie, then DUH! Hello TSM Fastpass!
50's Primetime Cafe- This just looks like a fun place to go.

Animal Kingdom
Tusker House- I'm fairly certain Corey would veto this whole trip if we didn't go to Tusker House. But there are other places that I would like to try here!
Yak and Yeti- Again. No local good asian options.
Rainforest Cafe- I just wanna try this place! I know they have one at DTD, so that may also be an option…

Old 06-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

EEEKKK! I don't like those crowd predictions at all! I hope it all calms down before then.
I have wanted to go to Teppon Edu so many times but have not yet had the time to fit it in.
I want to do 50's too, but Claire is afraid of being teased.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
EEEKKK! I don't like those crowd predictions at all! I hope it all calms down before then.
I have wanted to go to Teppon Edu so many times but have not yet had the time to fit it in.
I want to do 50's too, but Claire is afraid of being teased.
Are you going the next week? The crowd predictions look better for the following week (mostly 7's).

Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
francis6306
DIS Veteran

So… can you keep a secret?? My Bestiest Friend (Whose name begins with SH and ends in ELLEY) is considering joining us on part of our trip now too! But don't say anything… I mean, it's not like you could tell who I was talking about… I mean… it's not like I'd post a picture of her…

Old 06-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Your secret is safe with me

Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi Christen. I meant to stop by and comment earlier! First of all.... Congrats on having a new ticker!!! . I was thinking of going in March next year but if we wait a few weeks I'll be there for my birthday so I think April wins. Too bad because I would love to compete with your MIL to spend time with you!!!

I agree, I think if your in-laws want to tag along, 1/2 way into the trip would be a great idea. It's hard to stand firm on that if you really want some alone time.

I think Crystal Palace is a great dining option - especially staying in the park and if crowd levels are a 9 that would be good to plan.

You have a lot of my favorites for new options. Teppan Edo, Yak & Yeti, and 50's PT Cafe is tops on my list.

I'm looking forward to anticipating this trip with you!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: