Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
OregonMinnie
Mouseketeer

Is there still a discount Disney store?

Maybe discount isn't the right word, but I know I've read about people going somewhere to get souvenirs.

If so, what's the name, where is it, what do they sell, and is it any good?

Thanks!

Traci (43) DH(43) DD (11)

5/04 Staybridge Suites 4 days
10/06 Homewood Suites5 days
10/09 BWPPI 7 days
10/11 Desert Inn & Suites 7 days
10/13 Desert Inn OR Tropicana 7 days
OregonMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Gisele
I love honey, but not the sting of bee's
Please do not forget to mail me my chocolate caramel apple before y'all leave

Here ya go.

Happy Shopping!

http://anaheimoc.org/partners/5065/d...e-outlet-store

~~ Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose ~~ Janis
Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
bcla
DIS Veteran

Haven't been to that location per se, but my understanding is that the selection has gotten somewhat sad over the years, and now they feature a lot of non-Disney stuff.

There is a Disney Store Outlet in San Diego. That gets raves, but makes sense only if you're going to be in San Diego. And it's no terribly close to SeaWorld or the San Diego Zoo - right on the border literally a hundred feet from Tijuana.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
starry_solo
DIS Veteran

the "Disney" Character Warehouse aka AMS Liquidation Stores doesn't have a lot of inexpensive Disney merchandise anymore. It used to routinely be 50% off rack prices but now you're lucky if it's 20% (and at that rate, you'd be better off using your AP discount to get it).

Trading pins used to be $3-4. Now they're $5-8! Sometimes, they charge more for the Jerry Leigh pins that Target (in Garden Grove, off Harbor) sells for $5.99.
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
OregonMinnie
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I asked, because it wouldn't have been worth paying a taxi to go there. That's why the Dis is so great.

Traci (43) DH(43) DD (11)

5/04 Staybridge Suites 4 days
10/06 Homewood Suites5 days
10/09 BWPPI 7 days
10/11 Desert Inn & Suites 7 days
10/13 Desert Inn OR Tropicana 7 days
OregonMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
dragonflycurls
Mouseketeer

There is one, but it's not the same old character warehouse it once was. I went the last time I visited (last February) and not only were things not that discounted, it was a lot of junk!
dragonflycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflycurls View Post
There is one, but it's not the same old character warehouse it once was. I went the last time I visited (last February) and not only were things not that discounted, it was a lot of junk!
They've changed their business name to "Character Depot". I'm thinking that Disney had something to do with the rename.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
lalasmama
DIS Veteran

Oregonminnie--don't forget there's the Disney outlet in Woodburn, and they get park merchandise. We love it! There's a fair amount of stuff from the parks, and good prices. Not uncommon to buy a tshirt for $10 or less for kids, and $15 or under for adults. This is where we buy most souvenirs for friends/family. Don't have to worry about suitcase room or outrageous park prices! Woohoo!
lalasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
They've changed their business name to "Character Depot". I'm thinking that Disney had something to do with the rename.
IIRC, another fan board reported that the then "Character Warehouse" had ended their contract/agreement with Disney. That is why the merchandise selection changed (for the worse, IMO). Agree that it really isn't worth the drive to shop there anymore.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
gardengirl2790
Mouseketeer

I'll second what lalasmama said about the Disney outlet store in Woodburn. We purchased a sweatshirt from Disneyland, at the outlet store, that was marked $50, for $24.99, and an IPhone plastic cover with Disneyland on it for $7 that was originally $39, and several other things. The CMs that work there said they get boxes from DLR monthly, generally the first or second week of the month. They also said if you call the store, they will tell you if they've gotten in a new shipment. If you buy your souvenirs in Oregon, you also save paying sales tax!
gardengirl2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl2790 View Post
I'll second what lalasmama said about the Disney outlet store in Woodburn. We purchased a sweatshirt from Disneyland, at the outlet store, that was marked $50, for $24.99, and an IPhone plastic cover with Disneyland on it for $7 that was originally $39, and several other things. The CMs that work there said they get boxes from DLR monthly, generally the first or second week of the month. They also said if you call the store, they will tell you if they've gotten in a new shipment. If you buy your souvenirs in Oregon, you also save paying sales tax!
Technically one is supposed to pay sales tax if a resident of another state that charges sales tax for similar purchases, and making a tax free purchase. These rules are supposed to be for someone who will use the good in their home state. It's called a "use tax" and typically is supposed to be reported and paid with state income taxes. Care to guess how many people actually do this?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
gardengirl2790
Mouseketeer

I believe Oregonminnie lives in Oregon, as I do too. I'm not suggesting breaking any tax laws. We do not have sales tax in Oregon. It's cheaper for us to buy our souvenirs in Oregon, than in California because in California, we pay sales tax.
gardengirl2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
LizzyS
Mouseketeer

If you ever come to Las Vegas, we have a Disney Store outlet in one of our outlet malls on the northern end of the strip. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. They always have a lot of discounted Disneyland stuff. I've gotten some great deals on hoodies and shirts, etc. there.

1st ever trip to Disneyland: November 5th, 2011

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyS View Post
If you ever come to Las Vegas, we have a Disney Store outlet in one of our outlet malls on the northern end of the strip. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. They always have a lot of discounted Disneyland stuff. I've gotten some great deals on hoodies and shirts, etc. there.
Actually - there's one each at either of the major outlet malls in Las Vegas. We've been to the one at the south outlet mall near the airport. Well I guess technically that's not Las Vegas (a whole other boring story) but I digress.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
got2sammies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Haven't been to that location per se, but my understanding is that the selection has gotten somewhat sad over the years, and now they feature a lot of non-Disney stuff.

There is a Disney Store Outlet in San Diego. That gets raves, but makes sense only if you're going to be in San Diego. And it's no terribly close to SeaWorld or the San Diego Zoo - right on the border literally a hundred feet from Tijuana.
Where in San Deigo is this located? I am staying with my brother (in oceanside).. so this would be perfect!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: