Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Derek&Ashley
Mouseketeer

Saratoga Springs experiences

My family has an 8 night stay at Saratoga Springs coming up soon. I've noticed that there is almost no discussion of the resort here. I would like to hear from others about the resort. Experiences? Opinions?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
soarin_over_nj
Mouseketeer

I am a frequent Disney visitor and DVC member and just stayed at Saratoga for my first time in January. At first the openness and distance between places in the resort was daunting. After a few days of being there and learning tricks of the resort, I began to enjoy the resort. It is not as hectic as some of the other resorts and I booked another stay there for this October.
August 1992 First Trip Polynesian, May 1994 OKW, June 1995 OKW,October 1996 OKW, July 1997 OKW, August 1998 OKW, August 1999 OKW, September 2000 OKW, August 2001 OKW, July 2002 Beach Club, November 2002 All Star Sports, July 2003 Yacht Club, July 2004 OKW, November 2004 OKW, July 2005 Beach Club, April 2006 OKW, July 2006 Boardwalk, August 2007 Boardwalk, July 2008 Boardwalk and AKL, November 2008 OKW, April 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, August 2009 Boardwalk, January 2010 Beach Club, August 2010 Boardwalk, December 2010 25th Trip AKL, July 2011 Beach Club, November 2011 AKL, July 2012 Boardwalk, September 2012 (1st runDisney) Boardwalk, January 2013 Saratoga Springs, Wilderness Lodge, OKW, July 2013 Boardwalk, October 2013 AKL, January 2014 (runDisney) Grand Floridian, OKW, April 2014 Caribbean Beach, July 2014 Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, February 2015 runDisney

soarin_over_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Check DVC boards

We were considering the DVC resorts last year for our trip because of the size of our group and I found the DVC board to be very helpful with information about SSR, OKW, and BLT (our short list)

They may have better info and definitely will have experience!!!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
jessicar82
Earning My Ears

My husband and I stayed there without our kids this past March and we LOVED it! To be able to walk to DTD was a main feature for me. It took less than 10 minutes and it's a gorgeous walk (I LOVE Earl of Sandwich so we went to DTD often). It is a large resort but I don't think it gets all the credit it deserves. I wanted to stay there during our upcoming Sept trip but my husband and kids want to stay at Boardwalk Villas.
jessicar82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I have owned DVC for a long time and I have stayed at SSR for 5 vacations and the THV for another vacation. So I feel like I know this resort well.

The resort is spread out but it's not as daunting as it appears. The walks from each section to the main section aren't any worse than staying at Animal Kingdom at the end of the savannah.

There are 5 sections: Grandstand, Carousel, Paddock, Congress Park and Springs. Those are the bus stops, in order. I have stayed in all but Carousel and I think the experience is different depending on where you stay. Example: It's a 10 minute walk to DTD from Congress Park but it's going to be a 20-30 minute walk from Grandstand.

I think the villas are nicely appointed; I actually like the decor here and the fact that it's not over the top Disney. I think the Turf Club restaurant is a hidden gem for a TS and I like the offerings at Artist Palette's counter service.

I find check in annoying and bell services takes forever here. And RAC checkin for outbound flights hasn't been a great experience for us either due to the volume of people at this resort.

The main pool at Springs is usually very crowded but the themed pool at Paddock is nice and I love the quiet pool at Congress Park. Grandstand also has a pool and a children's splash area.

With the exception of our Springs stay where we had a villa close to the bus stop, our stays have been very quiet. While not a favorite DVC resort, it's not at the bottom of the list either. I own at BCV but SSR is always available for last minute trips and it's served me well over the years. I try to stay at the Epcot DVCs if my waitlists come through but I'm not distraught if they don't and I end up here.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Derek&Ashley
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input. Due to family concerns we have had to reschedule this trip three times. We are owners at BLT, so we've had our share of different resort stays. This will be our first stay there but I'm looking forward to trying somewhere new. I've requested the paddock so we could be near the second themed pool and hopefully avoid the crowds of the main pool.

I'm guessing it would be a 15-20 minute walk to DTD?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek&Ashley View Post
Thanks for the input. Due to family concerns we have had to reschedule this trip three times. We are owners at BLT, so we've had our share of different resort stays. This will be our first stay there but I'm looking forward to trying somewhere new. I've requested the paddock so we could be near the second themed pool and hopefully avoid the crowds of the main pool.

I'm guessing it would be a 15-20 minute walk to DTD?
Yes, it's an easy walk from Paddock to DTD. Paddock is right by Congress Park where the walkway to DTD starts.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

I am interested in info about SSR as well. We are considering a split stay between VWL/SSR. Can anyone tell me about the pools? Do they have slides? What would be the best section? Our kids will be 8 and 5 if that helps! Thanks!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
disneydreaming92701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey

Yes, it's an easy walk from Paddock to DTD. Paddock is right by Congress Park where the walkway to DTD starts.
Great info... we will request paddock area when we go this fall.
disneydreaming92701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I have only stayed there once and I enjoyed it. LOVED the hot tub thing at the main pool. My only complaint was the lack of food options at the counter service. Nicely appointed rooms with no outside noise at all! Beautiful grounds for walking/running. Super clean.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Because SSR and OKW are only DVC resorts (as opposed to the other DVC resort attached to regular deluxe resorts), their threads tend to be limited to the DVC board. Here's the SSR one:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466719
Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
joelkfla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
Sorry, but the walkway from Congress Park to DTD will be closing 7/8 for Disney Springs construction.
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek&Ashley View Post
My family has an 8 night stay at Saratoga Springs coming up soon. I've noticed that there is almost no discussion of the resort here. I would like to hear from others about the resort. Experiences? Opinions?
This resort is very nice but it's so spread out. When we were there, CM's would drive us to the lobby in their little golf carts. When I went to the spa one morning, they also drove me in the golf cart. I don't know if that's normal, but it happened on our 2010 trip. Walking to DTD is really nice though! We stayed in Congress Park in a 1 bedroom. Also, it's sort of like AKL in the sense that it is kind of far from things, especially MK so the bus ride is long to there and back. It's not a bad resort though, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

ML_LovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
Paddock is the way to go....
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
jon18uk
Mouseketeer

We stayed at Saratoga 2 years ago as they had 55% off and free dining deal for UK guests.

The resort felt very quiet and empty, completely different atmosphere to Port Orleans where we stayed before. Food court was OK but felt very small. Tried to eat at the turf club restaurant but it stopped food service at 7pm! Drove to Port Orleans and ate at Boatwright's instead.

We were in the Congress Park section right by the quiet pool, only a short walk to the main building, gym and quick service food. We chose this section as it was walking distance to Downtown Disney and this was great! Was a very nice walk to DTD in the evening when it was cooler and this was probably the best thing about this resort.

Overall it is a nice quiet hotel you can walk to DTD from but I wouldn't recommend it for the resort food options!
jon18uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: