Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #301
tsme
DIS Veteran

I've read all about the fridges coming out & I've emailed my IPO about it too. I get that there's a problem with them & they need to be removed. What I Don't get is why aren't they sticking a new one in as they pull out the old ones? I mean, Really? It's not like those mini fridges are hard to come by, Walmart has them for like $50-75! Would it be so hard for Disney to replace them as they take out the older ones? I don't think so. It would much easier that way on everyone involved. I just don't get it.
tsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #302
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

I've been remiss. Finally peeking in over here on the Fantabulous Kook's thread.

Looking forward to our first stay "across the water." Now, where's my Time-Turner to fast-forward to October? Oops, wrong theme park!

I've put in my request as "Courtyard view, high floor." I asked her to add "pretty please with sugar on top" but I'm not sure she did. She did, however, add "quiet" of her own accord when I mentioned I'm a horrible sleeper. Perhaps I should change that to "Epcot" instead of "courtyard"?

Back in the beginning of June, we stopped by the pool to take a gander at the slide. I think the size of it intimidated the kiddo a tad, but we watched the folks riding down and it didn't look terribly fast. Is that a fair assessment? Might be able to convince her to give it a go.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #303
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsme View Post
I've read all about the fridges coming out & I've emailed my IPO about it too. I get that there's a problem with them & they need to be removed. What I Don't get is why aren't they sticking a new one in as they pull out the old ones? I mean, Really? It's not like those mini fridges are hard to come by, Walmart has them for like $50-75! Would it be so hard for Disney to replace them as they take out the older ones? I don't think so. It would much easier that way on everyone involved. I just don't get it.
Any fridge that has been recalled is now unplugged in the room and a note has been left for the guest explaining the situation. I found out today that at least at WL, only a small number of the fridges are the ones being recalled. At WL, it's predicted that the recalled fridges will be replaced by the end of this week. The article estimated up to 4 months for replacement of all mini fridges, however, I was told that only the large resorts, such as All Stars, might take that long. Again, this information was only for WL, but may be applicable to other Deluxe resorts, but that's only an assumption on my part.

Since the fridges were recalled, (I read there was a faulty fridge at the Grand Californian), Disney can't continue to allow guests to use the recalled fridges (Read: Lawsuits!) I'm also assuming that Disney has to competitively bid out the new fridges, order them, have them all delivered, then installed. This takes time and may take less time at resorts that have few recalled fridges, and more time at resorts with many recalled fridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
I've been remiss. Finally peeking in over here on the Fantabulous Kook's thread.

Looking forward to our first stay "across the water." Now, where's my Time-Turner to fast-forward to October? Oops, wrong theme park!

I've put in my request as "Courtyard view, high floor." I asked her to add "pretty please with sugar on top" but I'm not sure she did. She did, however, add "quiet" of her own accord when I mentioned I'm a horrible sleeper. Perhaps I should change that to "Epcot" instead of "courtyard"?

Back in the beginning of June, we stopped by the pool to take a gander at the slide. I think the size of it intimidated the kiddo a tad, but we watched the folks riding down and it didn't look terribly fast. Is that a fair assessment? Might be able to convince her to give it a go.
Great having you back and don't be a stranger. Are you in our infamous BoardWalk Bulletin in Post #1?

If you booked a STD View and would like to see some of Illuminations, you should request an Epcot View. If you'd like a quieter location and more commanding view, you might also want to request 5th floor. This is the highest floor and no one would be above you. I also like requesting rooms without connecting doors. Everything can easily travel those WDW connecting doors
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #304
francika
Earning My Ears

just checking in, the wife and I will be here sept 22nd-> sept 27th, first time staying here.

Will be interesting to see it compared to AKL where we normally stay!
francika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #305
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Great having you back and don't be a stranger. Are you in our infamous BoardWalk Bulletin in Post #1?
Thanks, Kook. I don't think I am! We'll be there from the 26th - 30th of October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
If you booked a STD View and would like to see some of Illuminations, you should request an Epcot View. If you'd like a quieter location and more commanding view, you might also want to request 5th floor. This is the highest floor and no one would be above you. I also like requesting rooms without connecting doors. Everything can easily travel those WDW connecting doors
Yep, standard. Wasn't too worried about booking a SV since we've had such great luck with them at other resorts -- and I think maybe it might be a teensy bit quieter (hopefully) than the water view rooms? (I really hope they don't upgrade the room category!) Ah, thanks madam... I'll change my request to "5th floor, Epcot View" methinks; that's why I popped in -- to ask the expert.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #306
LoveKermit
DIS Veteran

GCH had a fridge start on fire. It happened like 2 days after we left. Ours made a noise one morning, but I just shook it a little and it stopped. (Female solution, right?)

So, yes, the fridge-mageddon started at GCH. The company then recalled the fridges. I suppose Disney has now identified which resorts have those fridges. I would also guess that those could be in a studio (per someone else's question) since they have been removed at Aulani. I have not heard anything about the full-size fridges in the larger villas. They must be fine.
DL-1999 offsite with DH**ASMu-2000 first onsite trip with DH**Offsite-2001 Halloween Horror Nights**Antigua-2002 Honeymoon**Offsite-2003 First Anniv. (Magical Music Days)**WL-2004**Dolphin-2004 (AP Nat'l Conference)**Shades of Green-Family Xmas 2005, Thanks for your service BIL**No Trip-2006, DD born in Dec!!!!!!!!**Poly-2007 **Dolphin MNSSHP/F & W-2008**BWV-2010**SSR-2010**BLT-2011**GCH-2013**BWV-2013
LoveKermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #307
fizbobunny
Mouseketeer

Hoping anyone arriving soon at Boardwalk Inn or Villa Studio will report if they have a fridge or not.
Celebrating My Brother's Birthday and Mardi Gras~~~~~~~Legoland, Disney, and DS#2's First Trip
Oct 2013 BWV and Darkside; Oct 2012 - POR AoA LM; Sept./Oct. 2010 - OldestDS First Trip - ASM Family Suite; Aug./Sept. 2005 - Hurricane Katrina Trip - Offsite; Dec. 2004 - My Graduation Trip - Offsite; and many others I can't remember the dates
fizbobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #308
Denise W
Boardwalk DVC Member

It has been reported that all DVC rooms, including studios, will not have their refrigerators replaced. I assume that is because even the studio refrigerators are larger and a different brand than the one involved in the recall.

Denise.
Denise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #309
SuperNinja
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by francika View Post
just checking in, the wife and I will be here sept 22nd-> sept 27th, first time staying here.

You'll definitely love it. I've been to AKL, Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Club and I must say Boardwalk is the best.

Funny thing is that our resort prior to Boardwalk was AKL too, and when we switched to Boardwalk, we never looked back. Then we tried Beach Club, it was okay. Yacht Club, it's not my cup of tea.
SuperNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #310
arianrose
Earning My Ears

Hoping to be able to rent points at BWV for our Nov 2014 (honeymoon!) stay. It's just the two of us, so we only need a studio.

I see people often have to split their stay... Do you think it's at all likely we might get our full 6 days, or do they just go too fast, even if I request at 11 months out?

arianrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #311
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

Tried to book a return to my favourite resort for May 2014, unfortunately the only room category available is a standard view, no club level rooms at all

Any idea why? I was wondering if rooms have been blocked for a convention?

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
ClareH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #312
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by francika View Post

Welcome! I'd be happy to add you to our BoardWalk Bulletin.

When compared with AKL, all other Deluxes seem so different to me mainly due to the location and theming. With AKL you only have one transportation option, but with BWI you have buses, boats and walking paths. The rooms at BWI are larger, but you do lose your QS, the Mara. Views are quite different as well. If you think you might have AKL withdrawal, you could always book a split stay

Quote:
Thanks, Kook. I don't think I am! We'll be there from the 26th - 30th of October.

Yep, standard. Wasn't too worried about booking a SV since we've had such great luck with them at other resorts -- and I think maybe it might be a teensy bit quieter (hopefully) than the water view rooms? (I really hope they don't upgrade the room category!) Ah, thanks madam... I'll change my request to "5th floor, Epcot View" methinks; that's why I popped in -- to ask the expert.
I shall add you to the BB and yes, a SV would be quieter as far as exterior produced sounds are concerned. You can still get a noisy neighbor, but you won't hear the Buskers, boat horns and music. It's nice that the BWI SV rooms offer every view except a direct BW view. I think you'll be pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise W View Post
It has been reported that all DVC rooms, including studios, will not have their refrigerators replaced. I assume that is because even the studio refrigerators are larger and a different brand than the one involved in the recall.

Denise.
Yes, only mini fridges are affected and not all of them. Family Suites, FWC and DVC are not impacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arianrose View Post
Hoping to be able to rent points at BWV for our Nov 2014 (honeymoon!) stay. It's just the two of us, so we only need a studio.

I see people often have to split their stay... Do you think it's at all likely we might get our full 6 days, or do they just go too fast, even if I request at 11 months out?
Welcome! I had to chuckle when I read the bolded. I'll leave your point rental question to our experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareH37 View Post
Tried to book a return to my favourite resort for May 2014, unfortunately the only room category available is a standard view, no club level rooms at all

Any idea why? I was wondering if rooms have been blocked for a convention?
Welcome back! I don't know why they're unavailable, but don't give up trying.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #313
Ziggy
Playing guitar with the spiders from mars

Re the fridges I read somewhere that they are hoping to have it completed by the end of July.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #314
kathie859
DIS Veteran

ClareH37---I had the same issue trying to book our January, 2014, trip. I ended up calling a TA (the one that sponsors this site) and she was able to get me what I needed (2 STD CL rooms for 8 nights).

I'm so excited to be going back to BWI!! We did Poly CL last trip--NOT impressed! . I love the BW.....the decor, the CM's, and I can't wait to see the new BW Bakery. What???? Me? Excited much?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #315
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:

Miss We found the Std room much quieter than the WV room we had the previous trip. I actually kinda missed the noise of the performers and sounds from the water but DH liked the Std view more as there was a good amount of foliage, we had requested 3rd floor and even though our room was just about parallel to the entrance to BWI we were not bothered by noise from traffic or buses.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: