Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #1636
mastermind307
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
More about our trip…

Third… Sofa bed. Is it comfortable? DD will be sleeping there, and it'll be a really crappy birthday for her if her bed is poking her in the back all night. Also, I think I read that egg crate foam is available. Who should I ask about this, and when? I am also considering bringing the aerobed, just in case (flying Southwest, so no baggage charges!).

Tell me about the sleeping space at the BWV studio. Is it bigger than the sleeping area at a value, or are we going to be crammed in together? I know the square footage of the studio, but how much of that is bathroom/ kitchenette?

!!
When we stayed in a studio, my mom (she's 62) slept on the pull out bed. She said it was comfortable. She slept well every night.

I have never stayed in a value, but the area is bigger than a moderate (POFQ). If you fold up the pull out bed, you will have more room and a couch to sit on. Which is nice instead of having to always sit on a bed. I felt we had plenty of room.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #1637
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind307 View Post
When did you begin the rental process to rent points at BWV for your trip? We rented points to stay at BWV for our June 2013 trip. I really would like to stay here again by renting points. Our next trip will probably be October 2015. I know this is during the food and wine festival and rooms get booked up quickly. So I was wondering what the time frame is when I need to start looking at renting points. Thanks
I rented them just last/this week, so maybe Jan. 12th is when I first contacted a member. I started out renting through David's but they didn't have any points available; they could get the reservation but didn't have the points to secure it. They told me that BW view was unavailable, Columbus Day weekend is the 3rd busiest DVC time, and they could put me on a waiting list. I decided that, as I didn't have any other time available for this trip (university/school schedule, birthday celebration, F&W), I'd contact a DVC member and rent points. It worked.. and it was a little cheaper than renting from David, a LOT cheaper than renting from Disney!

Last edited by leebee; 01-18-2014 at 01:10 PM.
leebee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #1638
mickeym422
Mouseketeer

Quote:
More about our trip… When DD was 15, we were at Food & Wine for one day; it overlapped our scheduled trip, nothing planned, but we went for awhile and loved the experience. DD said, "THIS is what I want to do for my 21st birthday- with you and Dad!" JUST what a mom wants to hear, right? Fast forward six years, and here I am, planning... SARAH'S 21st BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION DD's birthday is in late September, but to celebrate at F&W we will be checking in on Saturday, October 11, 2014, and leaving on Wednesday, October 15, 2014. Shorter than I'd like but DD is in college, DH is faculty, I teach public school, so we had to work around October break. We have always been offsite/value resort people, with an occasional visit to a moderate (POFQ, CSR). AKL/savannah view has always been a dream, so I thought that this would be the perfect time to rent DVC points and stay with the giraffes, as a surprise for DD (who thinks I am torn between ASMu and offsite, being as DH is with us this trip). Imagine MY surprise when she said, "You know, I think it'd be cool to stay on the Boardwalk for my birthday, so we can bop in and out of Epcot and go to JellyRolls and Atlantic Dance Hall." She said it very offhand, but my heart jumped. Staying ON the Boardwalk has always been a dream, too, so I am PSYCHED that she brought this up. I hopped on the DVC boards here and next thing you know, voila! I have a reservation for a studio/garden view at BWV! The only things about this trip I know for sure is that we'll have dinner at Boma and at California Grill, and will check out the Dance Hall and JellyRolls. Everything else is still "in the works!" I do have some questions. First, Boardwalk view isn't available for all four nights so we are reserved for garden view. I requested Village Green, high floor. Is this a good choice? I am hoping we'll get a little Boardwalk view from here! The DVC member we rented from has noted these requests on our reservation, but should I call (who/where/when) prior to arrival so they are hopefully considered? Also… if we don't get this view, will they consider JUST garden view, or will they do water view, also? Second… Am I correct in understanding that, with a 4 night stay, we'll have no mousekeeping service at all? Not even to make beds and empty trash? It's fine- we always bring our own bath sheets when we travel- just want to know what to prepare DH for in terms of service. (I'll just think of it as saved tip money!) Third… Sofa bed. Is it comfortable? DD will be sleeping there, and it'll be a really crappy birthday for her if her bed is poking her in the back all night. Also, I think I read that egg crate foam is available. Who should I ask about this, and when? I am also considering bringing the aerobed, just in case (flying Southwest, so no baggage charges!). What do you think about park hopper tickets? We usually go with base tickets. We will have ADRs for two nights, so that leaves two nights open. I am considering getting hopper tickets so we can eat at F&W the other two days, but I don't know. It's an additional $177 for the 3 of us, which is a chunk of change. Of course, I don't know how FP+ will change our touring style, either- we might need hoppers. We are not rope drop people… going to a park very early to take advantage of headliners isn't really our style. OTOH, it might be the only way to ride these attractions once legacy FP has disappeared- so do rope drop for the headliners, then hop somewhere else for FP+ in the evening. Can't decide, because although this is a celebration, money has to be considered, too! Tell me about the sleeping space at the BWV studio. Is it bigger than the sleeping area at a value, or are we going to be crammed in together? I know the square footage of the studio, but how much of that is bathroom/ kitchenette? I AM JUST SO EXCITED… and the trip is so darned far off! I am not an advance-planner. We have had trips with as little as 5 days of planning! I don't know how I am going to wait until OCTOBER to stay at the Boardwalk… I can't wait!! ETA: If you have suggestions to make this an even more exciting trip, I'd love to hear them!

Deffinitly park hopper only way to go !!
mickeym422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #1639
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I rented them just last/this week, so maybe Jan. 12th is when I first contacted a member. I started out renting through David's but they didn't have any points available; they could get the reservation but didn't have the points to secure it. They told me that BW view was unavailable, Columbus Day weekend is the 3rd busiest DVC time, and they could put me on a waiting list. I decided that, as I didn't have any other time available for this trip (university/school schedule, birthday celebration, F&W), I'd contact a DVC member and rent points. It worked.. and it was a little cheaper than renting from David, a LOT cheaper than renting from Disney!
Regarding your questions on the views and housekeeping:

1) You can't call to confirm or request the view. Until you actually check in, the member you rented from owns the reservation and only they can call.

2) Most people like the Village Green views, and that seems to be the most popular studio request. Good luck!! Otherwise, most of the Villa garden/pool views do include water -- the main pool, quiet pool, canal heading towards DHS, etc.

3) For housekeeping, technically you get Trash and Towel on Day 4 (check in day is day 1), so that would be the day before you check out. When you check in, you can try moving it to a different day if that would be better. Not sure if it would work.
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #1640
Susiequsie60
Mouseketeer

We always get the Park Hoppers, but I'm thinking they'll be really great to have while staying at the BWI. I envision us walking over to Epcot probably once every day! The walk to Hollywood Studios is pretty close as well, right?
Susiequsie60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #1641
The Sunrise Student
aka Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiequsie60 View Post
We always get the Park Hoppers, but I'm thinking they'll be really great to have while staying at the BWI. I envision us walking over to Epcot probably once every day! The walk to Hollywood Studios is pretty close as well, right?
The walk or boat ride is super easy between BWI, DHS and EPCOT!

PAST TRIPS WDW:
May/June 2014 (SWW) - BWI ~ May 2013 (SWW) - Swan ~ Oct 2010 - Windsor Hills 6 Bedrm Home ~ June 2010 - POR ~ Jan 2009 - WL ~ Dec 2006 - SoG ~ Oct 2005 - Radisson ~ Dec/Jan 2003/04 - Days Inn ~ July 1987 - 1st trip to FL
The Sunrise Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #1642
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
I do have some questions. First, Boardwalk view isn't available for all four nights so we are reserved for garden view. I requested Village Green, high floor. Is this a good choice? I am hoping we'll get a little Boardwalk view from here! The DVC member we rented from has noted these requests on our reservation, but should I call (who/where/when) prior to arrival so they are hopefully considered? Also… if we don't get this view, will they consider JUST garden view, or will they do water view, also?
Village Green is pretty much all dedicated studios. Meaning no connection to a one bedroom villa. We had one on the secon floor, first room on the left as you head down the hallway. Our balcony was big, but open to the balcony just off the lobby. So no privacy. But Village Green is probably the best for a studio. If you get a water view, it will be a pool view. No Boardwalk view unless you booked it.

Like someone else said, you don't own the reservation, so there is no calling. DVC doesn't want members (or renters) to call the hotel anyway. Just get your request noted on the reservation. If you do online check in, you might be able to make a few requests there as well. But it will be limited.

Quote:
Second… Am I correct in understanding that, with a 4 night stay, we'll have no mousekeeping service at all? Not even to make beds and empty trash? It's fine- we always bring our own bath sheets when we travel- just want to know what to prepare DH for in terms of service. (I'll just think of it as saved tip money!)?
You get your trash removed and towels replaced on day 4. No bed making, no cleaning up. They just take out the trash and replace your towels. You'll have four bath towels, two hand towels and four face cloths.

Quote:
Third… Sofa bed. Is it comfortable? DD will be sleeping there, and it'll be a really crappy birthday for her if her bed is poking her in the back all night. Also, I think I read that egg crate foam is available. Who should I ask about this, and when? I am also considering bringing the aerobed, just in case (flying Southwest, so no baggage charges!)....
Sofa bed isn't bad, it flip open from the back. The cushions stay attached and help support the foot of the bed. The pillows and blankets are are stashed in a pocket in the bed that you see when you flip it open. I think they don't provide egg crate foam any more. Sleeper sofa will be double sized. Bed is queen sized.
Quote:
Tell me about the sleeping space at the BWV studio. Is it bigger than the sleeping area at a value, or are we going to be crammed in together? I know the square footage of the studio, but how much of that is bathroom/ kitchenette?...!
When the sleeper sofa is open, there isn't much space in the room, enough to get around the bed and a bit to get to the patio. The sink is outside the tub/toilet room. The kitchenette is opposite that. You might also get the deacon's bench if you have a dedicated studio. It's a good place to stash your suitcase. If you close the sleeper sofa each day, you'll have good space in the room.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #1643
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Thank you WDWKOOK! That'll be so much more peaceful to take a quick walk and have the tickets ready ahead of time. I have another very random question- does anyone have any information about the entertainer/ side show Coney Island Chris? We got so cracked up over his performance in November that I would love to see it again in June! Has anyone else seen him before or know if he's a regular? I'm so cheesy- I'm almost in tears just thinking about his tongue/ mouse trap skit!

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #1644
Pete W.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Sofa bed isn't bad, it flip open from the back. The cushions stay attached and help support the foot of the bed. The pillows and blankets are are stashed in a pocket in the bed that you see when you flip it open. I think they don't provide egg crate foam any more. Sleeper sofa will be double sized. Bed is queen sized.
During our last visit in April 2013 we requested and received the egg crate mattress topper for our DS17 who is 6' tall and he slept very comfortably in the sofa bed. You simply call housekeeping when you get to your room and ask for it (unless something has changed in the past 9 months and they no longer have the egg crate foam).
Pete W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #1645
Janed
Mouseketeer

Quote:
When did you begin the rental process to rent points at BWV for your trip? We rented points to stay at BWV for our June 2013 trip. I really would like to stay here again by renting points. Our next trip will probably be October 2015. I know this is during the food and wine festival and rooms get booked up quickly. So I was wondering what the time frame is when I need to start looking at renting points. Thanks
We have a 2 bedroom suite reserved for October 27 through November 2. I contacted a few owners back in July, picked the one I wanted to work with, gave her our trip information. She called the morning of the first day possible to make reservations (11 months out). We are reserved for the exact type of suite I wanted. It's worth getting a head start on finding who you want to work with especially for during the Food and Wine Festival. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #1646
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete W. View Post
During our last visit in April 2013 we requested and received the egg crate mattress topper for our DS17 who is 6' tall and he slept very comfortably in the sofa bed. You simply call housekeeping when you get to your room and ask for it (unless something has changed in the past 9 months and they no longer have the egg crate foam).
Yes, I had heard it had changed in the last few months.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #1647
KerryCM
DIS Veteran

Location: Murfreesboro, TN now, but will always be a MA girl!

Headed back to our favorite resort, BWI!!!! The past year we have made 4 trips, but were not able to get either a military rate or my cast discount at BWI. Well, my son really wants to take his oldest daughter, her mother would allow her to travel on our family trips, so guess what resort was the only one available with the new 60% off cast rate? So we will be there April 5-11 with my son and his family. Very excited to go.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #1648
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryCM View Post
Headed back to our favorite resort, BWI!!!! The past year we have made 4 trips, but were not able to get either a military rate or my cast discount at BWI. Well, my son really wants to take his oldest daughter, her mother would allow her to travel on our family trips, so guess what resort was the only one available with the new 60% off cast rate? So we will be there April 5-11 with my son and his family. Very excited to go.
Awesome, congrats! Nice discount!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #1649
Yahweh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We started the process exactly 11 months out from out schedule trip (December 2-10th, 2014). We were trying to book two studio standard views for our trip. Unfortunately, dave's dvc rentals did not have enough BWV points for us and we got put on a wait list. A few days later, we got a message that there was no availability left for SV Studios. So we sucked it up and said that we'd do the preferred view if points became available. After two weeks or so, Dave's DVC rentals got the points and we were able to book them.

So I'd guess that if you are looking to book at a popular DVC time, as early December seems to be, you'd probably want to do it at the 11th month mark. I was very surprised at how quickly the standard view sold out.

Anyways looking forward to our trip. It will be our fourth trip with our girls to Disney world. We have stayed at the Coronado, AKL/Poly, and Beach Club/Contemporary in the past three trips.
Yahweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #1650
mastermind307
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janed View Post
We have a 2 bedroom suite reserved for October 27 through November 2. I contacted a few owners back in July, picked the one I wanted to work with, gave her our trip information. She called the morning of the first day possible to make reservations (11 months out). We are reserved for the exact type of suite I wanted. It's worth getting a head start on finding who you want to work with especially for during the Food and Wine Festival. Good luck!
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I was planning on getting everything figured out so that I can hopefully rent points 11 month out. That would be in November 2014 for my October 2015 trip. My in-laws are coming with us on this trip. I looked at renting a 2 bedroom, but it is more expensive than 2 studios. It would cost $1,050 more, or $525 more each. That is if we went through one of the brokers who charge $14/point. We don't plan on cooking so I think the studios would be the best bet. That's money that we could spend doing other things. Of course if might be more difficult to get 2 studios for that time frame. At least I have awhile to figure things out.
I'm just happy that my hubby told me we could go back in 2015, so it's never too early to start planning!!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: