Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
pudinhd
DIS Veteran

Manatees in Cozumel

Hello!! DH & I are taking a Western Caribbean cruise next March. Even though this will be our 7th Disney cruise, they have all been on the West Coast. I am extremely interested in the Manatee Encounter at Chankanaab Park but also a bit unsure about figuring it out on our own. I have read some posts about people being allowed to get in the water with the manatees after their Dolphin Encounters. I am wondering if this is something that happens all the time and should be expected or if it is just a possibility. If it is not always included, what do you think the chances are of being able to book an encounter while we are there? Thank you!!!
Too Many Trips to Disneyland to Count, 1999 WDW Honeymoon, 2005 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 WDW Vacation, 2009 Backstage Magic ABD, 2011 Disney Cruise to Neverland, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2012 Alaskan Disney Cruise, 2013 Repo LA to Vancouver Disney Cruise, 2014 Western Caribbean Disney Cruise, 2014 Backstage Magic ABD
pudinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
pudinhd
DIS Veteran

Anyone?
Too Many Trips to Disneyland to Count, 1999 WDW Honeymoon, 2005 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 WDW Vacation, 2009 Backstage Magic ABD, 2011 Disney Cruise to Neverland, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2012 Alaskan Disney Cruise, 2013 Repo LA to Vancouver Disney Cruise, 2014 Western Caribbean Disney Cruise, 2014 Backstage Magic ABD
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudinhd
Anyone?
This must new for Chank! I love that park. Been there every time I go to Coz. I would go tomorrow. Great food and snorkeling. This makes it even better!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

We were taken over to the Manatees after our Dolphin Push Pull and Swim at Chankanaab in February last year. DH doesn't remember if they got to do it again in November when we returned and they did the Dolphin Encounter. (I didn't get to go the second time, DD had been feeling sick the night before, so I stayed with her on the ship.) There is an actual Manatee encounter you can book where you get real time in the water with the manatees to interact and feed them lettuce. The short freebie version was just a few minutes in the water with them to pet them.

We really enjoyed it the short free add-on. The manatees were a little slimy since they had algae growing on them, but it was really interesting to get to pet them.

I don't know if you could book additional activities on the day of. It would almost certainly depend on how full their groups already were. We booked the first time (Push Pull Swim) through the cruise line. We booked the second time (Dolphin Encounter and Sea Lion Encounter) directly on their online website.

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

We did this in 2010and the cruise lines. Back them did not offer this but you could book this online. It was way cheaper than the dolphins like. $45 you are on the platform and then get into the water to pet them feed them. It was great and have no problem doing it again!
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
pudinhd
DIS Veteran

Such great helpful information!! Now we have to decide if we want to figure out doing the manatees on our own or doing the dolphins through DCL. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Has anyone done the manatee encounter on their own (since DCL doesn't offer it)? If so, how was it? How long did it take? We're planning a DCL excursion that ends at 2pm. Would 3 hours be enough time to get over to Chankanaab, do the manatee excursion, and then get back to the ship? Thanks!
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: