Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

1st time at WDW. AoA or AKL Studio Villa. WWYD?

Hi all you WDW vets

First trip to WDW this late Sept/early Oct for me, DH and DD10. We are DL vets. Staying for 8 nights. Planning on lots of park time because it's our 1st trip but also want some downtime/pool time.

I currently have a reservation at AoA. I like the theme-ing, the pools look cute, like that they have dedicated buses. I do know that's it's value and the associated cons (no hot tubs, not as nice rooms, just quick service cafeteria dining).

Seeing other posts have got me looking into renting points for a DVC Studio Villa. (Booking thru Disney is way too expensive for us). Looking at affordable options for us, there is no availability for studio villas in the boardwalk area or at the contemporary. Still checking on AKL which was one of our last choices because I was thinking if I wanted to spend a bit more, I'd want it to be a resort that was more convenient to the parks, especially Epcot during the F&W.

So if AKL is available -- honestly which would you go with? If both were within your budget, AKL possibly being a bit more (I don't have an exact quote yet).
Old 03-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdashgirl View Post
Hi all you WDW vets

First trip to WDW this late Sept/early Oct for me, DH and DD10. We are DL vets. Staying for 8 nights. Planning on lots of park time because it's our 1st trip but also want some downtime/pool time.

I currently have a reservation at AoA. I like the theme-ing, the pools look cute, like that they have dedicated buses. I do know that's it's value and the associated cons (no hot tubs, not as nice rooms, just quick service cafeteria dining).

Seeing other posts have got me looking into renting points for a DVC Studio Villa. (Booking thru Disney is way too expensive for us). Looking at affordable options for us, there is no availability for studio villas in the boardwalk area or at the contemporary. Still checking on AKL which was one of our last choices because I was thinking if I wanted to spend a bit more, I'd want it to be a resort that was more convenient to the parks, especially Epcot during the F&W.

So if AKL is available -- honestly which would you go with? If both were within your budget, AKL possibly being a bit more (I don't have an exact quote yet).
My choice would be a studio at AKL. We've never stayed at any of the values, but we love AKL. Having stayed at AKL twice, we found the buses to be fine. AKL is out away from everything, but it didn't take more than about 5 extra minutes to get around compared to other resorts. Since the buses only service AKL and Kidani, there is no sharing with any other resort(s). Good luck with your decision.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
sturowski
Mouseketeer

After staying at both, I enjoyed AKL studio at kidani. We are staying there agin in September
sturowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
RHMH
When I retire, I want to get a real job and work for Disney

Location: Born In (Setagaya, Tokyo) Now Living In Fort Worth, Texas

AKL for sure...... ---- We love AKL - Pools, Scenery, Friendly CM's, Animals, Family Atmosphere, I could go on and on... It's a Amusement Park in it's self.

Special Thanks To The July 2014 Diser's - Click The Link - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3285857 Look -------- 2014 DLR July Diser's
DD's You Tube Channel --https://www.youtube.com/user/awesomecookie1010

Link to RHMH - July 2014 Disneyland Trip Report Thread -- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3302724

DD 14 ME 55 April 2nd --24 yr old - Issac --------------- Us To Disney ---------------
WDW 2002, WDW 2003, Tokyo Disney 2003, WDW 2004, Paris Disney 2004, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2007, WDW 2008, WDW 2009, WDW 2010, WDW 2011, WDW 2012, WDW 2013
(July 2014 DLR - Extended Stay America - Garden Walk Area)
RHMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

At AKL, make sure you are pricing at least a standard studio. Value studios will already be booked up. You must book them 11 mos. in advance.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

Thank you all !!! I am going to see if I can go forward with the AKL studio villa.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:24 AM   #7
mkarizona
DIS Veteran

AKL would be my choice because of the animals. Also the bus transportation is excellent and you are actually fairly close to Epcot time-wise. Everyone touts the Epcot area as being wonderful because you can walk to 2 parks and take the monorail to another. As a DL vet the reality is that just walking in the WDW parks is far more than walking at DL. Walking back to your resort may not be that appealing after a day at the parks. Also that "easy" walk to HS is actually over a mile and getting to the monorail requires you to walk through the equivalent of 2 parks.
mkarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

AKL - - it is such a unique resort experience - gorgeously themed and just being able to see the exotic wildlife is worth it IMO.

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
raven69david
I am a Superuser. Got a problem with that?!

We've done both and AKL would be the winner hands down. We were at AoA 2 weeks ago and I was shocked at how bad the lobby/gift shop/cafeteria looked. It seemed that the resort was hit by an earthquake. I counted several tiles cracked, the floor was totally covered in dirt/mud (wasn't raining outside), the gift shop was messy and the cafeteria tables were not cleaned quickly. This was during the course of 4 days. The upgrade to a Deluxe resort is very noticeable and going to AKL is the cherry on top. I'd definitely go to AKL if you don't mind the price for the upgrade. This is our resort of choice and we must stay there during each trip, even if it means doing a split stay, which is what we did on day 5 through 7.
1997-2003: Off-site, 2004: DD born ; missed this year, 2005: SoG for MVMCP, 2006: AKLSV for Magical Beginnings, 2007: ASMo/AKLSV for MVMCP, 2008: CSR for Surprise Trip in August, 2008: AKLSV/CR/POP for MVMCP, December 2008May 2009: Pop/AKLSV, August 2009: POFQ/WL-CL, December 2009: AKLSV for MVMCP Too many since then to list and WAYYY tttoooooooo many more to go.............
raven69david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdashgirl View Post
Thank you all !!! I am going to see if I can go forward with the AKL studio villa.
Good luck .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
DisneyQueen1320
Mouseketeer

AKL is so beautiful. Enjoy your trip.
DisneyQueen1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

Y'all are such enablers Hehe. Right now it looks like a studio Savanna view (which is what's available for my dates) will be about $500 more than a stay at AoA. Over the course of 8 nights, that means it's $62 more a day to stay at AKL. I admit ... the theme-ing, the nicer resort amenities, hot tubs etc... are pushing me into thinking it's worth the extra $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarizona View Post
AKL would be my choice because of the animals. Also the bus transportation is excellent and you are actually fairly close to Epcot time-wise. Everyone touts the Epcot area as being wonderful because you can walk to 2 parks and take the monorail to another. As a DL vet the reality is that just walking in the WDW parks is far more than walking at DL. Walking back to your resort may not be that appealing after a day at the parks. Also that "easy" walk to HS is actually over a mile and getting to the monorail requires you to walk through the equivalent of 2 parks.
Thanks for this perspective! I'm getting the impression that WDW is like Las Vegas. Everything looks like it's not a bad walk until you start walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatDisneyLover View Post
AKL - - it is such a unique resort experience - gorgeously themed and just being able to see the exotic wildlife is worth it IMO.
I do like that it's unique. This is part of the reason I'm not even considering anything off-site -- I don't want to stay in a generic hotel, I want that WDW immersion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
We've done both and AKL would be the winner hands down. We were at AoA 2 weeks ago and I was shocked at how bad the lobby/gift shop/cafeteria looked. It seemed that the resort was hit by an earthquake. I counted several tiles cracked, the floor was totally covered in dirt/mud (wasn't raining outside), the gift shop was messy and the cafeteria tables were not cleaned quickly. This was during the course of 4 days. The upgrade to a Deluxe resort is very noticeable and going to AKL is the cherry on top. I'd definitely go to AKL if you don't mind the price for the upgrade. This is our resort of choice and we must stay there during each trip, even if it means doing a split stay, which is what we did on day 5 through 7.
Thank you for this perspective also. Yeah, like I said above, AKL will be more money. But it's a do-able amount of money for our budget. Glad to hear that it's your resort of choice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: