Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #91
Miss Potts
Mouseketeer
 
Miss Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 262

From my new in-laws... Used pots and pans, they got them free with a kitchen remodel and used them for a few months but decided they didn't like them.

When they offered to get us pots and pans, i was thrilled i just figured I'd have more of a say.....
__________________
In Progress -
The Adventures of Miss Potts - Fall 2013 Trip Report

Read my PTR:
The Adventures of Miss Potts - PTR Fall 2013

1987 Hilton / 1989 FW / 1991 CBR / 1993 BC / 1995 WL / 1997 Poly / 1998 BWI / 2001 BC / 2005 Poly CL / May 2005 WL CL / Dec 2005 WL CL / August 2006 WL / Jan 2007 Poly CL/Contemporary CL / 2008 WL / Jan 2009 Poly CL / Oct/Nov 2010 AKL (Engaged!) / Oct 2011 DCL Magic (Honeymoon!) / Oct 2012 OKW/BLT / Feb 2013 WL Club / Sept/Oct 2013 Poly CL
Miss Potts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #92
OhioMom02
Earning My Ears
 
OhioMom02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlisa1978 View Post
The check that bounced.
Same here! Oh, and with said bounced check, they also re-gifted us a blender because they'd received 3 for their recent wedding. I didn't mind at all about a re-gifted blender but in front of them someone told us it was a re-gift and they got really mad.
OhioMom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #93
Acklander
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gypsy
Posts: 5,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMom02 View Post
Same here! Oh, and with said bounced check, they also re-gifted us a blender because they'd received 3 for their recent wedding. I didn't mind at all about a re-gifted blender but in front of them someone told us it was a re-gift and they got really mad.
OMG! Why would someone tell you it was a regifted blender? That seems to have no purpose except to embarrass those involved.
__________________
Acklander
Acklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #94
CocaColaGuy
That's what she said.
 
CocaColaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericangirlinFrance View Post
Would you like another one? I have 3 left over that I can't return
I could use one...I overused mine!

All of our gifts were pretty good...I think we only returned duplicates.

My grandfather got my brother and his wife a Jewish wedding card which would be fine, except all of us (including dear ol' Grandpa) are life-long Lutherans. Kinda made us wonder when he started "losing it". But, he always wrote a nice check to go along with the cards!
__________________
"If you're not pissing the kids off from time to time, then you're not trying." ~ Me

When you wish upon a star...Makes no difference who you are...Anything your heart desires...Will come to you!

"I wish there was a way to know you're in the Good Old Days before you've actually left them." ~ Andy Bernard, The Office
CocaColaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #95
DarthKTrava
Carolina Panthers Fan
 
DarthKTrava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Archdale, NC
Posts: 7,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
OMG! Why would someone tell you it was a regifted blender? That seems to have no purpose except to embarrass those involved.
Perhaps the one who told was the one who'd given THEM that blender....
__________________
If you can't git behind our troops then git in front of them
DarthKTrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #96
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm
 
PigletsPal2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mickey Mouse's back yard - Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 1,817

I was working as secretary to Chairman of the Board of a mid-sized travel agency when we got engaged, so I invited the whole agency to the wedding. My boss called me into his office the day after he received his invitation and asked if it was too late to change the wedding date to a week earlier. I said it was, that we had out-of-town guests coming and all the arrangements had been made. He said he wished I had checked with him before we set the date, because if we had gotten married a week earlier, we could have had the agency's suite on a luxury cruise ship for our honeymoon!

I wish I had known then what I know now, but "nice girls" didn't go on a honeymoon before the wedding 47 years ago! He did give us a very generous check and the agency didn't charge me any leave for the week after the wedding. I guess this doesn't belong in the "worst" category, but it was a bummer missing out on the cruise.

Queen Colleen
__________________
Wife to King Buzz
Mother to Princess Aurora and Princess Merida
Grandmother to Princess Jasmine
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #97
sunsprinkle24
Mouseketeer
 
sunsprinkle24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 477

My best friends mother gave me a glass ashtray. I don't smoke, husband doesn't smoke. And she knew this.
sunsprinkle24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #98
Acklander
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gypsy
Posts: 5,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKTrava View Post
Perhaps the one who told was the one who'd given THEM that blender....
Wouldn't matter, I can't imagine intentionally embarrassing someone that way. IMO that's a much bigger faux pas than regifting something.
__________________
Acklander
Acklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #99
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!
 
MinnieLovesMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTails57 View Post
We got married in England. I had never been to the USA or met any of my new husband's family.

We decided to Honeymoon at WDW.

On landing we were greeted by my new FIL and my new BIL they had driven down from Alabama to 'join' us on our Honeymoon!!!

Not a great start........but, we are celebrating 30 years married today!!
DH and I have a similar story for our honeymoon. We spent the day after the wedding at Universal Studios Hollywood. My family was also spending the day there which was fine by us until 3 siblings and uncle started following us around the whole day! Luckily that didn't scare DH away.

Luckily, all of the wedding gifts were nice and normal.
__________________
MinnieLovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #100
Gigi22
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,552

A set of the most ugly gilded coffee spoons I have ever seen in my life. They have little gilded camels on the top of each spoon! From DH's cousin who was working in Saudi Arabia at the time. Never used.
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx
Gigi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #101
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!
 
kimmar067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: "Exit 16W" of the Land of the Last!
Posts: 90,715

......my DH and I paid for our entire wedding because WE are 'running the show' (I know it's traditional that the bride's parents foot the bill but we wanted our wedding OUR way, and my parents were divorced at the time; I lived with my mom and I knew she couldn't pay for it). Anyhoo, my father didn't have much of a guest list, but at his insistence, we had to invite his orthopedic doctor and wife [ it was a last-minute deal] but my dad assured me that, since he was a big hot-shot NY doctor (many of his patients were NY Jets and Giants, and several NY Rangers as well) we'd probably receive a 'hefty' wedding gift, not that we were inviting people based on how much they were putting into the wedding card, but, my dad was really adamant so, whatever.....the next day, we opened the wedding cards together and began making a list, so as to be able to thank each and every person when we happened upon the good doctor's card, only to find $20 in it! That didn't even pay for ONE dinner, let alone two. I was so furious at my dad for making me invite this guy, whom I'd never even met, especially since he'd been to the doctor's son's wedding just 5 months prior, and my dad had dramatized about how he and his wife had gone to this really swanky wedding, to which my dad have given a $200 gift for the doctor's son's nuptuals....

....or mebbe I'm overreacting?
__________________
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #102
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!
 
kimmar067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: "Exit 16W" of the Land of the Last!
Posts: 90,715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
A set of the most ugly gilded coffee spoons I have ever seen in my life. They have little gilded camels on the top of each spoon! From DH's cousin who was working in Saudi Arabia at the time. Never used.
....how can you be sure
__________________
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #103
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol
 
goofinoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Portland, Maine
Posts: 3,807

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post

....how can you be sure
I think she meant that she's never used them. I could be wrong though!
__________________
goofinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #104
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKTrava View Post
Perhaps the one who told was the one who'd given THEM that blender....
Never regift within the same circle of friends/family. Sheesh, that's rule number one for crying out loud!
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #105
LSmith
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
......my DH and I paid for our entire wedding because WE are 'running the show' (I know it's traditional that the bride's parents foot the bill but we wanted our wedding OUR way, and my parents were divorced at the time; I lived with my mom and I knew she couldn't pay for it). Anyhoo, my father didn't have much of a guest list, but at his insistence, we had to invite his orthopedic doctor and wife [ it was a last-minute deal] but my dad assured me that, since he was a big hot-shot NY doctor (many of his patients were NY Jets and Giants, and several NY Rangers as well) we'd probably receive a 'hefty' wedding gift, not that we were inviting people based on how much they were putting into the wedding card, but, my dad was really adamant so, whatever.....the next day, we opened the wedding cards together and began making a list, so as to be able to thank each and every person when we happened upon the good doctor's card, only to find $20 in it! That didn't even pay for ONE dinner, let alone two. I was so furious at my dad for making me invite this guy, whom I'd never even met, especially since he'd been to the doctor's son's wedding just 5 months prior, and my dad had dramatized about how he and his wife had gone to this really swanky wedding, to which my dad have given a $200 gift for the doctor's son's nuptuals....

....or mebbe I'm overreacting?
I've never comprehended that guests are supposed to pay for their dinner when they are invited to a wedding.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: