Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #46
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

Nothing from one couple. They got really drunk at the reception so we still sort of think they either lost the card or forgot in their state of mind

One of DH's co workers gave us a few books on marriage and soliciting their religion.
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #47
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
You mentioned this on another thread and I just have to ask...by any chance was it a handmade family heirloom? We've got a couple of pieces like this that have made the rounds and the sentimental value is enormous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
Did the co-worker have a child in 1st-3rd grade? Maybe the kid wanted to send you a present, too. Kinda sweet, if you look at it that way.
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #48
molliewalks
Mouseketeer

My ex-husbands wealthy grandfather gave us a bible. He was nice enough to white-out (almost) that it was a gift to him!!
molliewalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #49
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
OK, here's one that I'm sure we can all relate to.....what is the worst wedding present you received? Mine would be a toss-up between the used and stained tablecloth his aunt gave us or the book on how to convert your spouse to your religion one of MY relatives gave us. C'mon....let's hear about yours!
A silver pickle jar. No way I am going to serve pickles from it. It has never been used. Just sitting in a closet

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #50
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

A cake topper.

We already had a cake topper, of course, sitting right on top of the cake at the reception.

And we also got some sort of candle display thingy that was clearly used.
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #51
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
You mentioned this on another thread and I just have to ask...by any chance was it a handmade family heirloom? We've got a couple of pieces like this that have made the rounds and the sentimental value is enormous.
No, I wish I could say it was a family heirloom, but I was later told by another family member that it was a deliberate "snub" directed at me.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #52
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieKG View Post
My husband and I had two mutual friends who were married three months before our wedding. We gave them $100 as a wedding gift. Their wedding gift to us was $45. We found that kind of odd. LOL.
Not odd at all. That's how much they hadn't spent yet!

We didn't really get any weird gifts. And I think that getting your MIL as a morning gift HAS to take first prize.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #53
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

My high school ex-boyfriend's mother gave me a framed poem about girlfriends...like girlfriends are like sisters or something like that. It had lipstick and shoes decorated all over the paper. The poem was weird, but the frame was ok.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #54
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We loved all of our wedding presents-not a dud in the bunch.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #55
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I don't remember any duds, but we did get 3 fry daddies. If that's not a "you might be a redneck" joke, it ought to be.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #56
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
I married the first time in he 70's. We were young, and lived a casual, hippyish type life style. . DH's sweet grandmother gave us a Lovely silver platter. I'm sure it would have been a great gift for someone else, but it really wasn't us. We used it to clean our pot on.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip DEC 2013 POP/Caribbean Beach Resort I have to wait until 2015!
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #57
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Ours wasn't necessarily a bad gift but the situation was weird. DH's Aunt and Uncle (Mil's Brother) sent us our gift through the mail, it came about 2-3 months after the wedding. Not that weird, you say?

They were AT the wedding. Drove from NC to Philly to be there. The whole weekend, Friday evening till Sunday morning.

They had the gift with them.

They (we found out afterwards) asked around (to DH's family) at the reception if anyone had wrapping paper/tape. No one did, who carries around wrapping paper and tape at (for most people there) an out of town wedding? (Except my aunt who probably had some in her trunk, but they apparently didn't ask her LOL)

Couldn't they have gone to the store? It's not like we got married in the boonies, there are TONS of stores in Bensalem, Pa, just outside of Philly, which is where the hotel was. There was a shopping center a couple blocks away from the church and reception hall, so there were options.

We just thought it was odd that instead of getting wrapping paper or a gift bag, they brought the gift back home with them then waited 3 months and then paid to ship it to us. Come to think of it, I still don't think it was actually wrapped, LOL

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
rndmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #58
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
I married the first time in he 70's. We were young, and lived a casual, hippyish type life style. . DH's sweet grandmother gave us a Lovely silver platter. I'm sure it would have been a great gift for someone else, but it really wasn't us. We used it to clean our pot on.

I choked on my coke - diet coke
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #59
laurafergie
DIS Veteran

My father's well off cousin gave us $5.

So fast forward 15 years, my mom calls and talks me into catering the cousin's daughter's 300 guest wedding buffet for free, in the name of we all help family.

Should have known better. It is a whole other story, but I have to say when the cousin's other two daughters got married we declined those invitations.
2009 All Star Sports
2010 Windsor Hills - Christmas at Disney!!
2015 ???? Always Hopeful!
DH Me DS27 DD23 DD22 DD14 DD10
laurafergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #60
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

We have an awful gift that has been making it's way through my family for the last 20 years.

My oldest cousin received this set of a cookie jar/salt and pepper shakers that are shaped like cats. Perhaps it wouldn't be bad if you were a cat lover, but the things are just hideous (think dollar store quality paint job). A few years later when her sister got married she gave it to her as a shower gift and labeled the box "The Ugly Cat"

I believe it has now been re-gifted to 11 cousins. Each time the giver writes a message on the box for the new recipient, so now the box is covered with notes. The joke is always how long you will have to keep it and who will wind up with it last. My one cousin married just two weeks before I did, so she made out pretty well. I had the thing in my attic for a few years.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: