Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #136
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Sure, if that's what "I guess I'm on the gift giver's side?" means to you.
Followed by 'hard to tell. They're both awful'?
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #137
discnewbie
Mouseketeer

I got some inexpensive gifts, but all of the guests meant well and I thanked everyone for each gift. However... two of my best friends got not-so-nice gifts. One was told by her MIL that she hadn't found the gift with the right 'tone' and she would give them this extra special gift shortly... it's been three years. The other friend received a blanket from an aunt. A used blanket. Not an heirloom or anything like that --the aunt is apparently an auctions addict. Oh, and did I mention that the blanket reeked (yes, reeked) of cat urine?

But I agree with others on here.. MIL as a gift takes the ultimate prize.
discnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #138
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Oh, I agree. The present (or would that be "presence"?) of the MIL takes the cake. A friend got a similar present; she and new husband returned home from a 3-day honeymoon to find his ex-wife sitting in a car in the driveway with his three year old son and four year old daughter, and all their possessions were piled on the porch. Ex-wife took the kids out of the car, said "they're yours now" and left. My friend raised the children.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #139
Lemonademouth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post

My boss gave us a camping tent. She also thought that wedding gifts were too "girl" centered and she knew I disliked camping and husband adores it and camped all of the time. One of the better gifts we got, actually.
We had put a tent on our registry! Guess we are weird. Those who bought us gifts stuck to our registry. We tried to put things of all price ranges as we were poor, and so were our friends. The only reason we were able to get married at all was because my aunt is the gm of a hotel in Baltimore and helped pay for everything, including our week at universal/seaworld. We got an even mix of gifts and checks, and we appreciated everything! The weirdest thing we got, was not so weird. my great uncle is an artist, a pretty decent one too, as well as a photographer. My wedding gift from him was, he photographed our rehearsal dinner and my bridesmaids and me getting our hair and makeup done the morning of. When we got back to Baltimore from Florida there was a box from him waiting for us. It was a painting he made of a sailboat out on the ocean right after the sun goes down. It is really beautiful. It is currently hanging in our downstairs 'guest bath'.
Lemonademouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #140
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
I've never comprehended that guests are supposed to pay for their dinner when they are invited to a wedding.
And I've never comprehended that guests are supposed to buy their own beverages at a wedding.

Just goes to show that different areas have different cultural rules.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #141
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
And I've never comprehended that guests are supposed to buy their own beverages at a wedding.

Just goes to show that different areas have different cultural rules.
There's no statute of limitations on post replies, but the zombie post bumped is a little old.
I guess one can hope that the next wedding reception you're invited to will be generous with beverages.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #142
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
We have an awful gift that has been making it's way through my family for the last 20 years. My oldest cousin received this set of a cookie jar/salt and pepper shakers that are shaped like cats. Perhaps it wouldn't be bad if you were a cat lover, but the things are just hideous (think dollar store quality paint job). A few years later when her sister got married she gave it to her as a shower gift and labeled the box "The Ugly Cat" I believe it has now been re-gifted to 11 cousins. Each time the giver writes a message on the box for the new recipient, so now the box is covered with notes. The joke is always how long you will have to keep it and who will wind up with it last. My one cousin married just two weeks before I did, so she made out pretty well. I had the thing in my attic for a few years.
My in-laws gave us a gift like that, except they didn't tell us what it was. It was a half-used candle that had made its way through the family for years, but we thought it was just a half-used candle so we burned it during a power outage. A couple of years later they asked us why we hadn't passed it on and were mad when we told them it was gone.
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #143
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

I don't recall what it was, but it arrived poorly packed and broken. The giver offered to replace it and did.

Our favorite was our kitchen aid mixer. Still going strong 16 years later.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #144
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I don't know if it was the WORST, but it was certainly odd. A family of 5 was invited. They RSVP'd. We included them in our head count and paid for the caterer. They no-showed. Apparently they decided going to Carowinds would be a better use of their time that day (Carowinds is a Six-Flags-esque theme park). They gave us two park tix as a wedding gift a few days later.

Another one, from my MIL. Two HIDEOUS...I mean attrocious looking vases in this awful poop brown/gray color. Clearly the potter who made them had made a mistake when spinning them on the wheel and they had started to collapse. But the determined potter decided to call the two leaning/deformed vases a matched set of "hugging vases" (because when placed together one appears to lean towards the other). So MIL bought them as a wedding gift for us. I've displayed them on the buffet in my dining room since we married in 2005. In 2011 my MIL went through a series of insane moves that ultimately led to us cutting her out of our lives...among them, reclaiming the vases from my buffet while I wasn't home saying "You never use them." It's true, they've never held a flower, but I have always displayed them...for comedic value if nothing else. She also took the buffet itself. And the last can of Who-hash.

This week has not been good for me. But by golly that made my day. My 4yo wants to know what's so funny.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #145
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

My aunt was into making hideous ceramic eyesores and inflicting them on all the family. For a shower gift, she gave us a tea set that was useless, but moderately less awful than many things she made.

For our wedding present, she made an ugly plaque for hanging on the wall, featuring two hands clasping, a trite little quote underneath, and "Mr. and Mrs. Hislastname" and the date (incorrect) of our wedding.

I didn't change my name and I'm not Mrs. anything.

We kept it in a closet for a few years in case she happened to visit, but eventually threw it out.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #146
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuosity View Post
sorry, can't relate
we started out with nothing, and were very grateful for all the various gifts we received (we didn't do any registries - not our cup o' tea)

25 years later & we still have almost all the non-cash items
Same here. No registry. If people called my mom told them pottery or a couple other things she thought we could use. We have quite a few nice useful pieces. We didn't receive any cash. I can't tell you how many times I pull something out to use and remember being given it at our wedding nearly 26 years ago. Our friends and family did a good job.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #147
HM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilchem View Post
My in-laws gave us a gift like that, except they didn't tell us what it was. It was a half-used candle that had made its way through the family for years, but we thought it was just a half-used candle so we burned it during a power outage. A couple of years later they asked us why we hadn't passed it on and were mad when we told them it was gone.
Oh my gosh, that's classic. Too bad they didn't tell you the deal, huh?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #148
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Not me (I was the one who got the half-used lotion bottles for my wedding, lovely.) but a friend of mine was given a set of baby clothes from her MIL. She wasn't pregnant and didn't have the intention of being a mother at the time.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #149
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericangirlinFrance View Post
Would you like another one? I have 3 left over that I can't return
We gave DD2/DSoIL2 a waffle maker for their wedding gift. It was a Mickey ears one, that makes 4 mini Mickey waffles, and there's an indent to put a stick in them, if you are making waffle pops or something.

It was on the list.....

(We also gave them the Thomas Kinkaide prints that they wanted, and Disney gift cards--they honeymooned at WDW. DD1/DSoIL1 wanted Amazon gift cards, so that's what we gave them.)

DSoIL2's little sister gave them a pair of very ugly vases from the dollar store (still wrapped in the dollar store bag and everything.) [The older sister gave DD2 a beautiful necklace and DSoIL a digital picture frame, filled with pictures of his family (and some space left to add pictures of DD2) that he could take with him on deployment. The vases weren't a money thing--it was an attitude thing.]

No bad wedding gifts for us---we got cash, champagne glasses and champagne and DH got 2 days off from work, paid (not vacation or sick time, just "take these 2 days off and we'll pay you your 9 hours each day").
Old 10-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #150
HM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjbs View Post
Our "worst" gift actually turned out to be pretty great about 10 years later LOL. We received a rolling pin. Yep. a rolling pin. Best part? I didn't open the box until years later when I was baking christmas cookies with my girls.....

There were 500 one dollar bills taped together and wrapped around the rolling pin. Holy cow!!! What a day that was - and right before christmas too!!!

~C
How did you thank them for the rolling pin? Do you think they ever wondered why you didn't say anything about the money? And, yes, that was a pretty great gift all in all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: