Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
XMom
DIS Veteran

Paramedics & Fire at DL Hotel

Does anyone know what was going on yesterday afternoon at the DL hotel? We saw a lot of medics, fire trucks, first aid cars and an ambulance outside the hotel. Hope everything was ok...
Old 06-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
WJD2011
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=XMom;48697323]Does anyone know what was going on yesterday afternoon at the DL hotel? We saw a lot of medics, fire trucks, first aid cars and an ambulance outside the hotel. Hope everything was ok...[/QUOT

Why are these threads started every few days???Accidents happen, people get sick or medical assistance, etc. These things happen every day in most major cities.
WJD2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
jenpace
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=WJD2011;48697537]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMom View Post
Does anyone know what was going on yesterday afternoon at the DL hotel? We saw a lot of medics, fire trucks, first aid cars and an ambulance outside the hotel. Hope everything was ok...[/QUOT

Why are these threads started every few days???Accidents happen, people get sick or medical assistance, etc. These things happen every day in most major cities.
Maybe because DLR isn't exactly a "major city" and a lot of us feel a sense of community about it. If there were rescue vehicles in my neighborhood I'd be concerned enough to ask about it. I think devoted DL fans are somewhat protective over each other and worry about someone who needs emergency care while at the DLR.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Because people are curious and worried. It's human nature. AND they don't happen every few days; there was one yesterday (or the day before), and today's. That's it in recent memory.

Just this last week in my town there have been a few incidents I've been behind, and I'm CURIOUS. Why were all the exits for me to get home so backed up? I couldn't pick up DH at the train station because of it, and had to go up to the next town and backtrack on side streets rather than wait in a long backed up line. There was nothing going on at the concert venue (last two times I saw lines of cars like that it was for Bieber last year, and Britney Spears 13 years ago). DH said that there were police cars and ambulances in front of the train station, but he came out as they were leaving. It was mystifying. And there was an incident the day or so before that had me equally curious.

The day after that, DS and I were at a coffeeshop and a group of policemen came in. Plenty of other citizens were stopping to talk to them, so I did too. Alas, they didn't know what was involved in that (though I did get to hear a firsthand experience from one of them in a really awful tragedy that had just happened here in town, as they spoke with other citizens while DS and I worked on his schooling).

It's human nature to want to know what happened, to want to send good thoughts out into the universe for those people involved.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-16-2013 at 04:48 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
WJD2011
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Because people are curious and worried. It's human nature. AND they don't happen every few days; there was one yesterday (or the day before), and today's. That's it in recent memory.

Just this last week in my town there have been a few incidents I've been behind, and I'm CURIOUS. Why were all the exits for me to get home so backed up? I couldn't pick up DH at the train station because of it, and had to go up to the next town and backtrack on side streets rather than wait in a long backed up line. There was nothing going on at the concert venue (last two times I saw lines of cars like that it was for Bieber last year, and Britney Spears 13 years ago). DH said that there were police cars and ambulances in front of the train station, but he came out as they were leaving. It was mystifying. And there was an incident the day or so before that had me equally curious.

The day after that, DS and I were at a coffeeshop and a group of policemen came in. Plenty of other citizens were stopping to talk to them, so I did too. Alas, they didn't know what was involved in that (though I did get to hear a firsthand experience from one of them in a really awful tragedy that had just happened here in town, as they spoke with other citizens while DS and I worked on his schooling).

It's human nature to want to know what happened, to want to send good thoughts out into the universe for those people involved.
I understand the concern but I raise the question as I have a number of family and friends who are police and fireman who see a lot of horrific things while doing their jobs to protect and administer first aid to the public. I get that it is human nature to be curious about accidents, however I wish people were a little more sensitive to the safety personnel who could be experiencing their own post-tramatic stress. Thanks.
WJD2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
larina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJD2011

I understand the concern but I raise the question as I have a number of family and friends who are police and fireman who see a lot of horrific things while doing their jobs to protect and administer first aid to the public. I get that it is human nature to be curious about accidents, however I wish people were a little more sensitive to the safety personnel who could be experiencing their own post-tramatic stress. Thanks.
How does posting a question on DISboards affect their safety or stress is any way?
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

I worked as a first responder for a few years, so was obligated under HIPAA to not disclose any information to anyone about a patient or incident. While passers by/witnesses aren't under the same legal obligation to not disclose that information, I would only hope that if I was ever involved in a public medical emergency, no one would ever post about what they saw on an Internet forum.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Pinup Mommy
Making everyday a Dapper Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina

How does posting a question on DISboards affect their safety or stress is any way?
I don't think it affects anyone or in away asking on the DIS, but I do know random people asking questions while medics or EMTs are on site is frowned upon..... Which the OP did not do :-)

It really is concern vs. nosy, but that is not my place to make that judgement.

DL local since 1980 ~ WDW 1986 ~ WDW 2000 Disney Contempary ~ WDW 2005 Disney Polynesian ~ AP holder since 2009 ~ DL's MNSSHP 2011&2012 ~ DCL Wonder 2012 Halloween Cruise

Pinup Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

A fridge caught fire in a room on Friday, so that was why the fire/police/medics on Friday, no clue on yesterday...
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
jenpace
DIS Veteran

I don't think that answering a "what happened" question violates anyone's rights to confidentiality. If I had known what had happened, I would not hesitate to share the answer here on this board.

I've been on this board for years and years. I've yet to see any thread where the OP asks about having seen emergency response at the parks answered with any personal or identifying information shared.

Also, I've never seen anyone ask or post about someone's emergency in anything other than a concerned way.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Dsnyfireman
Mouseketeer

Well as a firefighter I can say this about the whole privacy thing. While some info is not given most fire, police and EMS calls are logged and made public in news papers and websites. Someone asking if anyone knows what happened at a hotel the other day in no way violates HIPPA laws or causes us increased stress( I have PTSD and do not get upset by people asking me Q's) I believe the purpose of info sharing websites( kinda like this one) is to ask and answer questions, since no one asked for anyone's name, DOB, medical records or whether or not the person was on the dining plan( a touchy subject on here!) that no harm or foul was done. Just one mans opinion and professional thoughts.
Dsnyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnyfireman View Post
Well as a firefighter I can say this about the whole privacy thing. While some info is not given most fire, police and EMS calls are logged and made public in news papers and websites. Someone asking if anyone knows what happened at a hotel the other day in no way violates HIPPA laws or causes us increased stress( I have PTSD and do not get upset by people asking me Q's) I believe the purpose of info sharing websites( kinda like this one) is to ask and answer questions, since no one asked for anyone's name, DOB, medical records or whether or not the person was on the dining plan( a touchy subject on here!) that no harm or foul was done. Just one mans opinion and professional thoughts.
But a valued opinion, thanks!

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: