Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Ever get home & feel like you need a do-over?

That's me. Got home from our Fantasy Western a week ago and started feeling like I needed a do-over before we ever got off the ship.

I started with sore throat on embarkation day. Ended up sick the entire cruise. Thank God for OTC antibiotics in Mexico. Hubby & oldest son got a nice case of some stomach thing or maybe food poisoning on the 5th night that they have finally gotten over in the past couple days. Not sure what they had or where they got it. Could've been from food, drink, or activities in ports. Could've been from food or germs on ship. No idea. Haven't heard back from doctor's office on hubby's lab results. On the way from the port to Orlando we got a call from the pet resort where we boarded our little dog that she was sick, too. When it rains it pours, huh?

We had fun and did some great stuff in Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, & Cozumel. Having 3 ports in a row with things planned for each was exhausting, tho. I think even without being sick it would've been tiring.

Just getting thru 2nd seating dinner was brutal. Hubby & I both got to the point where we'd ask for a simple salad then we were ready to go. Just couldn't enjoy the meals this time. Felt like I was focused entirely on fueling my body to get well. I really had no desire to eat. Mostly I just wanted coffee and hot tea. Or water. We saw no adult shows. We were in bed early every night.

We didn't do any of the adult areas during the day because we were resting or doing things with 2 of the 4 teens in our family/group. 2 of the 4 hated Vibe. We had fun with them so I won't complain there. My son being 17 & my niece 16, I know our opportunities to "hang out" w/them are limited.

Castaway Cay was a total bust. I'm still not sure how we even got in! It rained all day long. It was super windy. Rained sideways a good bit. We never left the ship. Kinda stunk looking off the verandah at a rainy, windy paradise. Being sick already , going out in the weather didn't feel like the thing to do. In fact, at Cabanas lunch that day hubby & I both agreed we were ready to be at home.

The cruise itself was great. Our lack of enjoyment was due to circumstances Disney has no control over. Other than Vibe, the cruise itself was great. Bad luck, I guess. We've had 4 amazing DCL voyages before this one. I suppose we needed to pay our dues, huh? LOL!

I've decided that people who say "A bad day on vacation is better than a good day at work/home" haven't been sick enough on vacation. LOL!

So I need a do-over. Before this cruise hubby & I were undecided what to do in September for our 20th anniversary. Not a problem now. We're doing our Fantasy do-over sans our teens. We left too much undone on the ship. Flights & hotel are booked and paid. Now we're waiting patiently to see if some *GT rates roll out. Think we'll not book a bunch of excursions before the cruise. I think there's a lot to be said for keeping it spontaneous.

So has anyone else ever had a cruise that happened without you? Anyone have any do-over tales to tell???
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 Disneyland sans kids
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Oh no! That sucks to be sick on your cruise!
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

I'm so sorry! It sounds like you definitely need a do-over, and September will be wonderful! We have been so lucky on all of our DCL cruises. We've sailed 8 times, never missed CC, and have never been sick. We're also sailing in September sans kids for our 20th anniversary, and I probably just jinxed it, huh?

We have dealt with terrible sea sickness on one of our cruises (actually, my hubby and kids loved the swaying, but I was so sick I almost wanted to be thrown overboard and finished). It is miserable when you don't feel good!

I hope September brings wonderful health and weather for you so you can enjoy yourselves!

Susan

09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Lucijoy
Earning My Ears

So sorry you had a miserable trip. That stinks, but I'm glad you have a good outlook about it and that you get a "do over" so soon! We were afraid we'd have a struggle on our cruise on the Dream in May. We were traveling with my parents (in their 70s) and Dad got what we think was food poisoning on the trip down. We stayed in PC the night before and prayed as much as slept that night! Fortunately the symptoms were gone the next morning but he was really weak and had very little appetite for the first day and a half. He rallied though and we all had a great time.
Lucijoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
jahber
DIS Veteran

That stinks! We've been lucky so far, but I did spend the first sea day of my last cruise (not DCL, though) seasick. The winds were 45+mph hitting us broadside. I spent the day in bed, but actually I found it kind of relaxing. When's the last time I got to spend a whole day doing nothing but reading and sleeping? The nausea was brutal, but like you, I chose to look on the bright side. Of course, it was only one day--your family suffered much longer and I applaud your positive attitude! And hooray for a do-over! I have my eye on the September cruises. We WILL be on one of them, if I have anything to say about it
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
EDelashmit
Lover of anything Disney

I keep wondering when that will happen to us...we've been so lucky on all of our trips.

Great that you get a do over soon!

DCL - Fantasy August 2014
Aulani - June2014
Disney World - Wilderness Lodge January 2014
Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2013
DCL - Magic October 2012
Disney World - All Star Music May 2011
Disney World - Port Orleans May 2009
Disney World - Wyndham September 2002
Disney World - Dolphin March 2000
Disney World - Polynesian June 1996 - Honeymoon, 1st trip ever to Disney - I was hooked from that moment on!!!
EDelashmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
shaned
Mouseketeer

Sweetpee sorry you were sick. DH and I would like a do over from our Oct 13 sailing on the Magic. Not bad weather or sickness , just didn't do or see as much on the ship as we would like. There was a lot of naps taken . But we do have a cruise booked for October 2014 on the Fantasy

shaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Not for a cruise but on a trip to wdw. On the second day of our trip, I fell down the outside steps in the Mexico part of the world showcase. Shattered my tib/fib and spent the next 3 days in FL hospital having 2 rods and screws put in my leg. It was a nightmare! We did a do over trip about 7 months later.

I'm sorry you had such rotten luck on your cruise. I hope y'all can get a do over soon!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
jenf22
DIS Veteran

So sorry Kelly! We're on the 14-Sep Western. Come with us!

What excursions did you guys do?
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
So sorry Kelly! We're on the 14-Sep Western. Come with us!

What excursions did you guys do?
I think you guys just might see each other again!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you are sailing again! You have a great attitude!

Only had family members get sick on the last morning. My teen son was so sick. Yup, I saw the astronauts that last morning.

The sailing I took with my mom and nephew5, he got so sick she and he were the last ones to leave the ship. She couldn't leave the restroom with him. DCL was wonderful to her and security was in constant contact with us at the curb. They let her wait until there was a tiny line at immigration. I felt so bad for my mom. It had been such a wonderful time, but it was sooo stressful for her that last morning. She ran out of underwear, had to make do in the lobby bathroom. She was in tears when she exited. But it was soon forgotten...weeks later We got separated in the debark line. I told her to go ask the security if she could bypass the line, he had ... you know what. (we were in Mexico) and they said the best thing for her was to go back onboard and wait. I never saw her go back on board. My cell phone was dead. Security was great at letting my brother know where they were as he was waiting curbside. I never knew this until I grabbed the luggage and meet my hubby and my brother curbside. Although, I'll never forget seeing my mom walk out with my nephew in tears...I think we need a do over too

O/T rant: Can I just add that I told my Sister In Law to pack at LEAST 14 pairs of underwear...2 each day at least. She sends him with 7. My mom was washing his undies throughout the cruise. Ugh.

I totally understand the 3 in a row excursion feeling.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 06-08-2013 at 04:27 PM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Timon

DIS Junkie

Yup our do-over will be in November!

On our last cruise in 2009, all three of us came down with the flu (H1N1?) and it was horrible. Hubby was sick almost immediately after boarding (must have caught something at WDW the week before) and he slept for 3 days! Then my little girl got sick, then me. I didn't even SEE St Thomas except for a quick glimpse through our porthole when I found the energy to drag myself outta bed.

We managed to have some fun (not much!) but it was a really tough week.

I am crossing my fingers and toes (and every other part of my body ) that we are all healthy this cruise.

Now, I keep having these nightmares that we are all fine on the cruise but bad things keep happening to us to make our cruise really crappy
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Yup our do-over will be in November!

On our last cruise in 2009, all three of us came down with the flu (H1N1?) and it was horrible. Hubby was sick almost immediately after boarding (must have caught something at WDW the week before) and he slept for 3 days! Then my little girl got sick, then me. I didn't even SEE St Thomas except for a quick glimpse through our porthole when I found the energy to drag myself outta bed.

We managed to have some fun (not much!) but it was a really tough week.

I am crossing my fingers and toes (and every other part of my body ) that we are all healthy this cruise.

Now, I keep having these nightmares that we are all fine on the cruise but bad things keep happening to us to make our cruise really crappy
And you STILL managed to give us a fantastic trip report!! Boy we all felt for you that week. oh hi Cass! have I told you we had a great time on the Dream in April?! Sure did. But reaaaaly missed the classics, especially the adult pool. You know we are all soooo excited for your upcoming trippie, for sure. Sorry OP! Didn't mean to hijack.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
erinfarber
Mouseketeer

our do over will be next May

I am so glad to hear we were not the only cruisers that needed a do -over.

We also sailed on the May 25Th Fantasy cruise . We are now 2 for 2. We tried to take this cruise (Western) last year in early August, the night before we were to sail, we were re- routed to an Eastern itinerary due to hurricane Ernesto. All excursions that were planned are cancelled and we now have no idea what to do for the Eastern ,and no time to plan.
This year my husband became sick ( upper respiratory infection...BAD) on day 3. Day 1 and 2 were great, both sea days. Day 3 husband gets sick. That would be the day I have scheduled the stingray adventure , 2 years in a row now, still have not been able to participate in this excursion. Day 4- husband still sick, it is now Costa Maya. We are quarantined to our room. Day 5 Cozumel - Husband tries so hard to make the excursion I have planned. He made it for about 2 hours, and back to the room we go. Day 6- sea day. We sat on the pool deck for a few hours and back to the room once again. OK, now it is day 7, Castaway Cay, hubby is feeling a bit better. He is definitely going to Castaway Cay , his theory is , I can just sit back and relax at Serenity Bay, all is good right? NO, It rained all day long. 2 years in a row; our only 2 Disney cruises, and we have yet to experience Castaway Cay.
Our do over is scheduled for May of 2014, hoping for the best. I am determined to see the Western Caribbean!
erinfarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
jenbeloco
Earning My Ears

I am convinced that the ice cream machines are to blame. No one there is handing out the wipes before you use it. We were on the Fantasy in April 2012 on the 2nd sailing and about 11 of the kids got norovirus.

(Me) (DH) (DD)

Disneyland '91, '92, '13
Caribbean Beach '97
Dolphin '99
Grand Floridian '07
Bay Lake Tower (DVC) '10, '11, '14
Dream '11, '14
Fantasy '12, '14
Grand Californian '13
jenbeloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: