Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexasmom View Post
Plane tickets have been purchased.

Room is booked - not the size room we wanted or the week we originally wanted.

Transportation from airport to resort is arranged.

Park tickets are purchased.

Daily itinerary is typed up.

Dining is all scheduled.

But it still seems like that Disney magic is missing. Missing the option to order groceries and having them there and waiting when we arrive. Stressed about having the smaller room than we usually get at Disney World. Hope our trip is full of magic, we leave in 49 days, I have got to get myself in a different frame of mind before then.

Magic before the trip comes from you, not Disney. Do your homework- since you missed the fact that you can order groceries online, take some more time to explore what other things you might not be aware of. Search the posts on this board. Find the fun stuff and immerse yourself.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
DaeHyFoog
Let's all sing like the birdies sing...

Listening to the Disneyland Edition of the DisUnplugged, brings the magic, big time! In fact, my husband and I went by ourselves three years ago, and we thought that would be our one and only DL trip. However, we've been California dreamin' ever since, and we're taking our kids on a grand road trip from St. Louis to CA this summer. I've listened to the DL edition since it started, and it keeps the magic alive! (I found that while WDW is my home, DL is my great love!)

Also, the Orlando team went to DL recently, and I greatly enjoy the videos made by Dustin and Craig--perhaps these will help you to feel the magic. If you go to the April 30th show, you'll find the DL video. On April 23rd is the CA video, and April 16th has the "Dis goes west" video. We'll be there in July, too, so I'll be sending some pixie dust-thoughts your way!
DaeHyFoog is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Your room may be smaller, but the location will be way better than anything WDW has to offer. Also, order from Vons if you would like groceries in the room.
I hope you have a great trip.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexasmom View Post
Plane tickets have been purchased.

Room is booked - not the size room we wanted or the week we originally wanted.

Transportation from airport to resort is arranged.

Park tickets are purchased.

Daily itinerary is typed up.

Dining is all scheduled.

But it still seems like that Disney magic is missing. Missing the option to order groceries and having them there and waiting when we arrive. Stressed about having the smaller room than we usually get at Disney World. Hope our trip is full of magic, we leave in 49 days, I have got to get myself in a different frame of mind before then.

I see by your signature you'll be at the GCV. That alone is worth being stoked for. Chin up Disney soldier. You're going to have a blast!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
tdhickey
DIS Veteran

The magic always hits me when I cross Harbour Blvd and we can hear the welcome music. That's where we start to skip

I have also focused a lot on trying to enjoy what I am currently doing a lot more instead of living in anticipation. I often don't get overly excited for tips because of this. Once I hit the walkway there, the magic hits me right in the face and it is awesome.

Then we go on POTC and it gets even better and lasts the whole trip!
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #21
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
Someone once said that happiness isn't getting what you want, but wanting what you have.
Sounds like Sheryl Crow's lyrics for Soak Up the Sun.

It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYiGA_rIls
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
Magic before the trip comes from you, not Disney. Do your homework- since you missed the fact that you can order groceries online, take some more time to explore what other things you might not be aware of. Search the posts on this board. Find the fun stuff and immerse yourself.
I may be wrong, but I believe the OP is referring to the groceries that you can order through the Disney resort (at WDW)- these are brought directly to your suite/room before you arrive. And correct me if I'm wrong, but grocery places outside of Disney property do not offer this type of service. I would assume that they are not allowed to enter room while you are not there. Although, it may be possible to have them deliver it to bell services and it could be delivered when they arrive. But again, it's not there in the room waiting for you with the perishables in the refrigerator.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
Magalex
DIS Veteran

I see you have taken many WDW trips. Your feelings might be of going out your comfort zone. We are also so use to landing in Orlando and not having to think to much about arriving and checking in on WDW property. It is HOME. We have been trying to visit DL for three years now and I can't not believe we will be there in less than a month. I am very nervous too but all excited at the same time. But I think when we land we will just be so shocked it won't be humid when entering the airport. We are staying at Candy Cane Inn. Picked this little motel because it is so popular on the DISboards. I think I can trust everyone here
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
WDW 2015-POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magalex View Post
I see you have taken many WDW trips. Your feelings might be of going out your comfort zone. We are also so use to landing in Orlando and not having to think to much about arriving and checking in on WDW property. It is HOME. We have been trying to visit DL for three years now and I can't not believe we will be there in less than a month. I am very nervous too but all excited at the same time. But I think when we land we will just be so shocked it won't be humid when entering the airport. We are staying at Candy Cane Inn. Picked this little motel because it is so popular on the DISboards. I think I can trust everyone here
We'll be staying at CCI during some of the same time. It will be our 7th stay there, I think. I've lost track! I'll have my LGMH on my purse and we are always eating breakfast by the pool at 7:30.

OP- I wonder if pre-trip blahs are a defense mechanism to prevent people from getting their hopes up too high. I've been hit by them too sometimes. Like everyone else, I say just go with it and see how it goes when you get there. I think you'll have a great time!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Listen to the podcasts of Leah's trip planning. They are awesome. Also, Jim Hill has done some great podcasts about Disneyland with Len Testa from Touringplans.com.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #26
Angela72181
Mouseketeer

Think of it this way....

Are you going to Disney for the Room or for THE MAGICAL PARKS??

I had a hard time wrapping my brain around spending $$$ for our 7 day trip to California VS about the same price for a 14 day trip to WDW...BUT WE ARE GEARING UP AND ONLY HAVE 29 DAYS BEFORE WE ARE THERE!!

You just can't compare the 2....Apples are not the same as Oranges...

I will miss our Dining Plan from WDW but we figure there are other ways to budget meals in DL...we have about 4 nice reservations planned and the rest we figure we will wing..
Angela72181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #27
All American
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Yes. I think the BIGGEST thing for a WDW vet is to really really REALLY focus on the fact that the Matterhorn is the center of the park, NOT Sleeping Beauty castle. Yes the castle is smaller; it was built by a different king for a different daughter. The two castles shouldn't look the same. Look to the side, and see the big Matterhorn; you wouldn't want a castle bigger than the mountain, would you?
Oh my goodness, I so, so, so LOVE that line of thinking!!!! What a great perspective!

DH Me DD DD
All American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcdisney View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe the OP is referring to the groceries that you can order through the Disney resort (at WDW)- these are brought directly to your suite/room before you arrive. And correct me if I'm wrong, but grocery places outside of Disney property do not offer this type of service. I would assume that they are not allowed to enter room while you are not there. Although, it may be possible to have them deliver it to bell services and it could be delivered when they arrive. But again, it's not there in the room waiting for you with the perishables in the refrigerator.
There is a little grocery order form for VGC from Disney..at least there was last time I looked.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #29
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
There is a little grocery order form for VGC from Disney..at least there was last time I looked.
Yes, sorry. I should have mentioned that the OP could check DVC members website and see if they can order groceries.

Actually, my comment was just referring to the statement from Mama Who, who mentioned that she could order groceries online. I thought the poster misunderstood what the OP meant about the convenience of having groceries already stocked in the villas before they arrive.

I've used the service (order through DVC MS) a couple of times at BCV and it's very convenient. I did also use Garden Grocer (which I believe is equivalent to Von's or anything like that at DL) and it's not as convenient. We had to be there to receive it in our room.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
ktlm
DIS Veteran

OP, don't worry, I wasn't feeling it before our last trip to DL a few weeks ago. I think it was because we were so busy at home. The minute I walked into the parks it was totally magical.

I think the OP is probably talking about that fact that a lot of us disers, WDW vets, order groceries from Garden Grocer. Garden Grocer is an independent company that delivers to the WDW resorts. You place an online order with them before your trip. They deliver to bell services and a few years back, bell services would actually put it in your room without you being there. Now, you have to be in the room to get the groceries. If they arrive before you check in, they go to bell services, and you can either pick them up from bell services yourself or have them brought to your room. If you are checked in, but not in the room when Garden Grocer arrives, bell services will hold the groceries until you get there. We did Garden Grocer every year when DD was younger and pickier. I didn't know until this thread about Von's doing what sounds like the same thing for DL. Not having grocery delivery was something that we were a bit concerned about our first family trip to DL, but it was fine.

I you are not feeling it because you have never been to DLR before and you are worried about it not being WDW, as long as you go in knowing that it will be different, you may very well fall in love with DLR like we have. It is so great to be able to walk anywhere in a short time and not have to worry about all the WDW transportation and the loss of time getting from point A to pont B. Also, sometimes it seems like there is more magic at DL, than at MK. For example, our trip a few weeks ago, we were walking in Fantasyland and suddenly the Mad Hatter and Alice appeared and started interacting with each other in a hilarious way, and then they started holding an "unbirthday" party for everyone around them complete with the Mad Hatter running around to everyone's imaginary cups and filling them with all sorts of imaginary things. We were near the castle when Mary Poppins and Bert suddenly popped out and starting doing an "act" for the guests. We we back by the Matterhorn, when Mary Poppins just strolled past wandering the park and saying hello to guests. In past trips we have been going by the castle when Peter Pan suddenly appeared and started playing with DD and other kids in the area. Who you might find up in town square changes daily. Unlike MK where every position of a character is set in stone, it is magical to still see the characters just happen to pop up in different places around DL. Also, we missed Carsland by a week last year, and saw it for the first time and we were blown away. We don't even like Cars, but the place is amazing. At some point during your trip, you MUST enter it from the back of Pacific Wharf- the view took my breath away. I felt like I was really there and everything was real.

Have a great trip!
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: