Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

What time to line up for WOC w/ Carthay Cirle FP

We plan on eating lunch at Carthay Circle and attaining FPs for the 9pm WOC show this August? What is the earliest time we shoud line up? Latest? And where?

March 2014 WL & pixie dust
Aug 2012 AKL / Aug 2013 - Fairfield Inn - DL
Dec 2010 - CSR / Aug 2011 - RPR - Universal Orlando
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

I think some people will say you should get there about an hour early to ensure a rail-front viewing spot. Other people (like me) will say you should enjoy the park and just stroll up 5-10 minutes before the show, because I've never had anything but an awesome view from the Carthay Circle area. It's basically front and center, marked with a white sign that says "Premium Dining" or something like that. The CMs will look at your FPs, see that they are from Carthay, and will direct you to the primo area.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

DD16 and I went about 30 minutes before the show started, we were able to see very very well from the CCTR area, if we had been there earlier we could have seen better but we had no complaints. We are both on the short side and we could see fine.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
elliececil
Mouseketeer

We saw the 9p show on Mon Jun 10 with Carthay Circle passes. I scoped the area out early - ropes were up by 7p. Talked with cast members to see where to wait, where the areas were, then left and came back at 7:30p, hung out near Little Mermaid. They didn't open the ropes until 8p. We got closest to the center - for viewing of the show, not the center of the Carthay section - at the front at the rail, which was important as we're both shorter than 5' 2". The area never got as full as the other areas where folk were crammed in, but I still wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere but at the rail in order to see.

We went again 10:15p show on Wed Jun 12 with free machine FPs and it was fairly empty. Didn't get there until about 9:55p - my sister watched the fireworks from the train station in DL and I met her at Little Mermaid (I saw the fireworks from corner of Mater's and Bug's Land) and then we did a bathroom break before getting our spot. Got front wet zone just right of center at the rail and that was a *much* better view than the front of the Carthay Circle section. Could see into the water better and really could feel the heat from the flames. We had ponchos that time and put them on as we don't like getting wet at all - we're the type that wear ponchos on Splash.

I had wanted to eat at Carthay anyway so not unhappy we did that but if we ate there again we'd plan so we could get 10:15p tickets and not have a 7a rope drop the next morning. I loved the show the first time I saw it but am really glad I saw it down in the wet zone center. Totally awesome. The projections were better further back but I loved watching the fountain mechanisms and being able to see into the water.

-----

Note that there is now a $59 fixed price (fixed selection) menu for dinner and apparently a $39 one for lunch. We saw the $59 one at dinner but they honored the old 1 appetizer or dessert and 1 entree each when we told them when we had made our reservations, before the new fixed price for WoC went into effect.

Last edited by elliececil; 06-17-2013 at 08:11 AM.
elliececil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Kevin_W
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliececil View Post

Note that there is now a $59 fixed price (fixed selection) menu for dinner and apparently a $39 one for lunch. We saw the $59 one at dinner but they honored the old 1 appetizer or dessert and 1 entree each when we told them when we had made our reservations, before the new fixed price for WoC went into effect.
Do you have a link for this information? The Disney doesn't say anything about a new fixed price menu and still lists 1 app/dessert plus entree. (But then again, Disney website is not always the most up-to date.)
Kevin_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
elliececil
Mouseketeer

I don't have a link. I saw the menu with my own eyes. Our server told us it had changed and brought it to us in case we'd rather order from that instead of the old 1 app or dessert 1 entree requirement. We declined. There are also postings about it on the World of Color Superthread here:

http://wwww.disboards.com/showthread...542717&page=86

Start with the Jun 13 postings from two other folk mentioning the fixed price menus for lunch and dinner.
Note that there are limited menu choices on the new fixed price menu. I'm really glad I was able to eat what I wanted and not spend the $59 for each adult for dinner.

Last edited by elliececil; 06-17-2013 at 09:53 AM.
elliececil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPaco View Post
We plan on eating lunch at Carthay Circle and attaining FPs for the 9pm WOC show this August? What is the earliest time we shoud line up? Latest? And where?
It all depends on how busy the Park is. If it's really busy, and you are SET on a front and center viewing spot--head over around 7:15pm(for early show).

If the Park isn't really busy, and you can be happy with a "good" viewing spot, you can arrive, like others have said, 20 to 30 minutes beforehand, and get a viewing spot that is still good, but not the "best".

It all has to do with your expectations, and your perception.
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

If you want a good spot in the CCT viewing area, you can arrive 30-45 minutes prior...especially if the day is not incredibly busy. If you want to have your choice of spots (they will allow you stand where you want with a CCT FP - even in the blue and yellow zones). You may want to be there at least an hour before if you want to go beyond the CCT section.
The CCT entrance will be right in front of King Triton (on top of TLM ride).
Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
thankudrivethru
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The fp's should say exactly when to line up for WOC at 9pm.

Are you doing the WOC FP lunch package that is at CCT? Or just getting the FP for 9pm WOC show? Either way it says right on the ticket. I don't think you will hav a problem
thankudrivethru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Keep in mind that your WOC lining up experience will differ from time to time(they change things up quite often)!

Out of all the times we've viewed WOC, things have almost always not been the same as the time before, which can be really maddening if you go expecting a "perfect experience".

Last month, we got three different answers from five different CMs. We had expected this however, and it was pretty amusing. We were given two different places to wait for the Carthay Circle dining passes. We each took one, and the wait time, wait area, line-up, letting in, and view areas were all completely different from each other.

It ended up being a great experience though, because a lead brought my husband from the designated CC area, over to where I had been told to go(ended up being with the WCT/Ariel's group), which was a FABULOUS viewing area!

Just go over early, scope things out, ask some questions, then go with your gut instinct. We've seen WOC from average/less desirable viewing places and still had a wonderful experience!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Kevin_W
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliececil View Post
I don't have a link. I saw the menu with my own eyes. Our server told us it had changed and brought it to us in case we'd rather order from that instead of the old 1 app or dessert 1 entree requirement. We declined. There are also postings about it on the World of Color Superthread here:

http://wwww.disboards.com/showthread...542717&page=86

Start with the Jun 13 postings from two other folk mentioning the fixed price menus for lunch and dinner.
Note that there are limited menu choices on the new fixed price menu. I'm really glad I was able to eat what I wanted and not spend the $59 for each adult for dinner.
Thanks for the heads-up about it. We're headed there in ~5 weeks and were considering eating at CC in part to do the dining package. I'd rather not pay the $59 and be forced to have both an app and a dessert. Disappointing.
Kevin_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Dream.Finder
Creative Consultant at The Disney Store (West Edm Mall)

The second showing of WOC is usually a bit slower than the first, as are most of the nighttime shows of the Disneyland Resort that have two showings per night. We will be doing the Carthay Circle Dining Package when we go this August but we have done Ariel's Grotto in the past. We picked the second showing of the night and strolled up to Paradise Park about 30 minutes prior to the show... front row, railing view.

I actually just made my dining reservations today and the Cast Member I spoke with reccomended 30 minutes prior to viewing as well. And it is really great that you don't even need to waste time to get a WOC FP... it is handed to you with your bill when you finish dining!
Those magic sparks, in me and you.

Dream.Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
CanadianPaco
Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirecatty View Post

It ended up being a great experience though, because a lead brought my husband from the designated CC area, over to where I had been told to go(ended up being with the WCT/Ariel's group), which was a FABULOUS viewing area!

Just go over early, scope things out, ask some questions, then go with your gut instinct. We've seen WOC from average/less desirable viewing places and still had a wonderful experience!
Great advice !!!! Thx!

Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
ktlm
DIS Veteran

We've done the dining package the last 3 years (Wine Country not Carthay, but it is the same WOC viewing area). We go in June, so I don't know how that may differ from August. The FP will say to go in at 8:45, but if you pay attention to that you won't get a very good spot. Our server always tells us to get there about 8:40. We always go sometime between 8:00 and 8:15 after they have opened the area and we don't ever stand in line. We are never the first there, but it isn't too horrible. I'm short, so we like to be right at the rail in the wet zone. A lot of people avoid the wet zone, so we have never had a problem getting on the rail, as long as we have been there by, or before 8:15. A little warning though, if you do that, you might want to throw a dollar store poncho in your purse or pocket because if the wind is blowing the right way, you will get soaked. To us, it is worth it for the front row unobstructed view.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
CanadianPaco
Canadian

Question

Ponchos! Got it ! Thx!