Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

What not to do on a Disney cruise . . .

I captured this screen shot on the last morning of the cruise. I did not think I had that much to do on the internet, but I guess I was wrong.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

OUCHHH

I feel your pain

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Whoa!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
amejiajr8
Mouseketeer

Note to self...turn off WI-FI ..disconnect...disconnect...disconnect
amejiajr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distoyaholic View Post
btw, they don't have free wifi there??
Absolutely not! Everything at sea is more expensive since they use satellite connections.

Making a call from ship to shore, from your cell phone (Cellular at Sea tacks on to whatever extra charges even your wireless provider will get you for) or really anything other form of communication will cost you.

I enjoy absolutely unplugging while I'm onboard. We just did 14 nights through the Panama Canal and my only form of communication beyond the ship was postcards. Which got there after we got home.

Did let everyone know we were alive when we got to Disneyland.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Moxin
Mouseketeer

I go out of my way to stay off the net when I am on vacation, especially DCL or WDW. Granted, I use DW apps at the parks, but on the ships? No way...phone goes into the safe until we debark!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Ack! I kept mine off too on our two week cruise and was really paranoid about it. Once i turned it on at sea to check the time (just for interest) and I was panicked that I'd have charges. What saved me is that halfway through we had 4 days in Hawaii so I was able to use the Internet there.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Steve Dexter
Would rather be at Satellite Falls

I hear you! On the 14 night Panama Canal cruise I did nearly that much. I love keeping in contact and feel like it's worth it. I don't like the feeling of being "unplugged" and don't agree at all that one needs to be disconnected to enjoy vacation.
Steve Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
martinm
Grumpy Old Man

I am a no contact with home kinda person as well.

I go on vacation because I need to get away.
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I would not skip the Pirate Buffet again.

Otherwise, many things are just preference.

I probably wouldn't order the signature sundae every night so I could remember to order a Mickey bar...

Don't order the pineapple cake at AP. My dad eats just about ANYTHING and he actually found it necessary to complain to the head waiter about it. (It's his anniversary cruise so if he doesn't like something, why not let them know? He wasn't mean about it or anything. Just said it wasn't good. Our waiter said, "This, I never recommend..." so after that, we really paid attention to his recommendations!) Anyway they made it up to us with a huge platter of decadent morsels and fancy choc covered strawberries the next night. Yay for service.

Dont wait until the morning of debarkation to shop...only to realize you can't because the shops are duty free and don't open until they are a certain ways out to sea. (Poor mom. I wish I'd have known she wanted a bag too that I had gotten the night before. no shopping for her the next day...)

Don't miss the embarkation lunch. We did, (traveling with a group, communication issues on where to drop off the rental car at which terminal and then problems at the terminal checking out of the car rental and the loonngg 'lets get breakfast at IHOP!' terrible service decision prior) and we didn't get on board until about 2:30. Not too close to check in, just by the time we went for lunch, they were just about closing Flo's down for the muster drill and we were scrambling to get paninis (yum!) and burgers with a hugely chaotic line right before they closed it. We didn't know because we had only been on board for like a half hour or maybe alil more so we didn't know anything about Cabanas or anything.

My husband didn't bring enough cash in Nassau and they couldn't rent a moped like they wanted. But he said now he would have just paid the $$ to come to Blue Lagoon Island with us instead of bumming around Nassau with no plans. So perhaps planning a specific excursion (minus Castaway which is like one big one, unless you want to) is something not be taken for granted or it can basically mean you miss some good stuff at port. (If you want to. However, they did have a good time on aquaduck and mid ship detective etc exploring on ship while we were on the island too.)

Skip Villains if you are on the Dream and ghosty stuff offends you. Mom & Dad walked out, and we almost did too but then the tone changed to a tongue in cheek spoof, otherwise we were very close to walking out with the way it opened up in the underworld. This is strictly preferential and is not meant to upset anyone or promote a point of view. I know others that left the show. Of all the shows, don't miss Golden Mickeys if you have it as it has great musical movie numbers. Believe was just eh. Villains was bordering on yucky until it changed tones and got quite funny. But I wouldn't see it again.

That's all I can think of for now? Like I said, a lot of these are subjective?
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
Disneykidsdad
Mouseketeer

I was planning on buying some Wi-Fi time on my Alaska cruise next month because I will have to have some contact with some friends back home. Will there be free Wi-Fi available in the ports in Alaska?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Ouch...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
ludari
DIS Veteran

No good but lesson learned. I'm glad I do not have that problem because I completely unplug while on the ship.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Tropics
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneykidsdad View Post
I was planning on buying some Wi-Fi time on my Alaska cruise next month because I will have to have some contact with some friends back home. Will there be free Wi-Fi available in the ports in Alaska?
A few years ago Ketchikan had free wifi at the port. I'm not sure if they still do. I don't recall any of the others having free wifi.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Since its the US I am assuming that using a cell phone in Alaska to check email is under my usual plan when we are in Port, right? I warn everyone before we sail that I won't be checking email/calling, since the charges are just too much. I don't need to disconnect on vacation, but with the prices I feel they rather force my hand on that one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: