Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
PrinceOfPeace
Mouseketeer

Free Dining Question....

I'm considering Free Dining for Sept. Is there somewhere I can be directed to so I can find out what costs/prices are ideal for each meal and snack to make the FDP worth it? For example: in order to break even a snack would need to be at $3, lunch at $10, dinner at $20. However, I don't want to break even...I want to maximize! Hope I am making sense!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfPeace View Post
I'm considering Free Dining for Sept. Is there somewhere I can be directed to so I can find out what costs/prices are ideal for each meal and snack to make the FDP worth it? For example: in order to break even a snack would need to be at $3, lunch at $10, dinner at $20. However, I don't want to break even...I want to maximize! Hope I am making sense!
I totally understand wanting to maximize--if you're paying for the plan. If you're getting it for free, try to focus less on breaking even. This is the time to go to exactly the places you want without worrying about price. Order exactly what you want off the menu--whether it's more or less expensive. The beauty of free dining is not worrying about what things cost!

No, I wouldn't "waste" a snack credit on something only costs $1.49, if I thought I could use it later on something that cost more. But I also won't book the most expensive TS restaurant just because it's expensive! It needs to be the place my family WANTS to eat. Getting my money's worth if no one's eating food they like isn't worth it!

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

I agree with PP....it's free, so you don't really need to maximize.

But since you asked for a breakdown, here's mine.

If you have the regular dining plan (1 Quick Service, 1 Table Service, 1 Snack) then it's $15 for QS, $35 for TS, and $5 for snack to break even. Anything you spend OVER any of those would be maximizing.

If you have the QS dining plan (2 Quick Service, 1 Snack), then it's $16 for each QS and $5 for snack to break even.

Both of those are for ADULTS. Kids pretty much maximize without any effort at all, but buffets are the best way to maximize their TS credits.

I'm not including the refillable mug into the equation, but consider those to be a free souvenir. If you're going to be at your resort to use them often, then the breakdown would be a little different.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
I agree with PP....it's free, so you don't really need to maximize.

But since you asked for a breakdown, here's mine.

If you have the regular dining plan (1 Quick Service, 1 Table Service, 1 Snack) then it's $15 for QS, $35 for TS, and $5 for snack to break even. Anything you spend OVER any of those would be maximizing.

If you have the QS dining plan (2 Quick Service, 1 Snack), then it's $16 for each QS and $5 for snack to break even.

Both of those are for ADULTS. Kids pretty much maximize without any effort at all, but buffets are the best way to maximize their TS credits.

I'm not including the refillable mug into the equation, but consider those to be a free souvenir. If you're going to be at your resort to use them often, then the breakdown would be a little different.
^^ Agree, though I usually would use a $3 snack when figuring my costs, toss another $1 onto QS and TS each. Also remember (to the OP now) that these are POST-TAX numbers, since the dining plans cover the tax (included likely)

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
navywifetill2002
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfPeace View Post
I am guessing your break even numbers are based off the room only discount you don't get to take since you're going to use FD (our room only discount last year was only $10 a night so between the 3 of us we needed to each spend more then $3.33 a day...taking the FD was a no brainer for us). Allears.net has great menus with prices that may help you out. There is also an awesome calculator on Seeyoureelsoon that you plug in where you are eating and it tells you the value of the plans for your choices.
navywifetill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
disneydacey
Gettin' my Disney fix since 86'

For us, unless we are giving up a room only discount at a deluxe resort free dining is always the better option IMHO.

disneydacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Comparing the 20% discount on a room versus the free dining, the free dining was a clear winner with us coming out ahead nearly $700. I based our ADR's on the menus and for character meals the characters rather than price.

ETA: Here are good blog posts about getting the most out of the DDP. Table Service and Counter Service

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

I took the OP's question to mean they were trying to basically get the most bang for their buck with the DP--in other words, where are the most expensive items for each the credit levels. But maybe I was completely off in that reading of the post.

Are you trying to compare the value of free dining to value of another kind of discount?

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
julie4423
Mouseketeer

FD is worth it unless like a PP said, you are getting a big discount at a deluxe. I have a family of 6...FD will always beat any discount. As for making the most of it, the only "rule" I hand out is that you don't use a snack credit unless pretax cost is $3.95 or more. However, we are huge eaters that always end up with more snacks and food than DDP gives out. Some would say use your snack credits for every snack or you will have leftovers. That's never gonna happen with us. lol The highest priced meals from our last trip were Tutto Italia and Akershus for TS, and WPE and Mexico CS at Epcot. So, you could look at those as a good bang for your buck.
julie4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
PrinceOfPeace
Mouseketeer

You all helped....,thank you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: