Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
TinkerBelle_325
WDW Destination Blog owner and CSR FAQ thread runner!

**LIVE** First we eat, then we do everything else! Sept Dining Review - Update 5/5/14

INTRODUCTION

"First we eat, then we do everything else!" - M.F.K. Fisher

Wise words! Not sure about all of you but when it comes to planning a WDW vacation the very first thing my family sets in order is where we want to eat and when. I know some people look at crowd calendars and others review park hours, but we go by dining reservations.

Example: Is Via Napoli available at 7 that night?....No?....Oh well that is going to throw off the entire schedule!

For me, a WDW itinerary is like a giant game of culinary tetris

UPDATE: We are now planning to arrive on Sept 2nd (travel plans are a bit up in the air!) and we booked 1 night at Pop because we will be getting in quite late (after midnight). As a result, we were selected for MagicBand testing!! So I will be doing a Trip/Testing Report as well as this Dining Review. Here is the link to the Trip Report: Adventure is out there....and so are MagicBands!! A September 2013 Trip Report

WHO?

Myself

I'm Megan and I am 28 years old. For the past 16 months I have been taking my MBA and I just successfully defended my thesis last week! As a result of all these months of hard work, I need a break! I have been to WDW more times than I can count. Actually, that's a lie...this will be trip number 46 for me!

I am a foodie at heart and have been taking pictures of food for years (well before instagram made it cool ). I will admit that I am a Disney Commando at heart, but I have started to appreciate the more laid back aspects of a vacation. For example: On vacation I love trashy magazines (Us Weekly, People, Star etc.), reading my Nook by the pool, afternoon naps (which are so much better at Disney for some reason), and simply taking pictures and enjoying the background music at the parks.

My favorite parks are the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. It is very hard for me to name "a" favorite ride because I love so many! My top 10 are Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Under the Sea, TTA, Spaceship Earth, Soarin, Tower of Terror, Star Tours and Kilimanjaro Safaris.

DMom

DMom works for her father's family business. She also works with my DDad. So basically she is one of the busiest and most efficient people I know. She could organize any room, any time. She loves WDW because it is the place where most of our best family memories have been made. And she desperately needs this break. Her only criteria? Stay at Coronado Springs and give her lots of down time by the pool. Done

DDad

DDad works in financial services. He loves WDW just as much as me but he hides it better LOL. He also loves challenging me with obtaining impossible dining reservations. In fact....in my dining review I wrote this: "NOTE TO DDAD: California Grill is CLOSED. So there really is no way I can get us that reservation this time." And guess what.....NOW THE CALIFORNIA GRILL WILL BE OPEN SEPT 9TH....ugh I am *never* going to hear the end of it. I swear he has some psychic dining reservation power He would be content to only visit MK once and spend some evenings at Epcot, but he visits the parks a bit more often than that for me

WHAT?

A much needed break. It has been a busy, hectic, draining couple of months and it doesn't look like it will slow down anytime soon. The break happens to coincide with DMom & DDad's 33rd wedding anniversary It also falls directly between their birthdays! So what better way to celebrate?

WHERE?

Well, Walt Disney World of course! Staying at Disney's Coronado Springs (with 1 night at Pop to start the trip)

WHEN?

September 2rd - September 12th

TABLE OF CONTENTS: PRE-TRIP
Introduction
60 Days! The Best of Disney Food Part 1
34 Days!
Single Digit Dance & The Best of Disney Food Part 2
The Best of Disney Food Part 3
The Best of Disney Food Part 4
The Best of Disney Food Part 5
The Best of Disney Food Part 6
The Best of Disney Food Part 7
The Best of Disney Food Part 8
38 Hours To Go!!

TABLE OF CONTENTS: **LIVE** TRIP REPORT

Day 1: Tuesday, September 3rd 2013
BREAKFAST - Airport
LUNCH - Pepper Market
DINNER - Chefs de France

Day 2: Wednesday, September 4th 2013
BREAKFAST - Gaston's Tavern
LUNCH - Liberty Tree Tavern
DINNER - Artist Point

Day 3: Thursday, September 5th 2013
BRUNCH - Wolfgang Puck Express
DINNER - Jiko

Day 4: Friday, September 6th 2013
BREAKFAST - Sunshine Seasons
LUNCH - Les Halles
DINNER - Tambu Lounge and Kona Cafe

Day 5: Saturday, September 7th 2013
BREAKFAST - In Room
LUNCH - Garden View Tea
DINNER - La Hacienda de San Angel

Day 6: Sunday, September 8th 2013
BREAKFAST - In Room
LUNCH - Teppan Edo
DINNER - Via Napoli

Day 7: Monday, September 9th 2013
BRUNCH - Boma (No review)
DINNER - California Grill OPENING NIGHT

Tuesday, September 10th
BREAKFAST - In Room
LUNCH - 50's Primetime
DINNER - Liberty Tree Tavern

Wednesday, September 11th
BREAKFAST - Main Street
LUNCH - Columbia Harbour House
DINNER - Chefs de France

Thursday, September 12th
BREAKFAST - Pepper Market
LUNCH - Orlando Airport
CURRENT DINING REPORT: ~First we eat, then we do everything else! May 2014~
UPCOMING DINING REPORT: It's the most wonderful time...FOOD & WINE! Oct/Nov 2014~

Last edited by TinkerBelle_325; 05-06-2014 at 09:16 AM.
TinkerBelle_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Sounds great! We will be in Epcot in Sept 9th as well dinner at Coral Reef and the 11th is an AK day for us but dinner at Rosé and Crown!

We will be at holiday inn DTD sept 7
BWI sept 8-15th!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
TinkerBelle_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Sounds great! We will be in Epcot in Sept 9th as well dinner at Coral Reef and the 11th is an AK day for us but dinner at Rosé and Crown!

We will be at holiday inn DTD sept 7
BWI sept 8-15th!
Thanks! That's cool! Hope you enjoy your trip too It's such a great time of year because the crowds are so low.
UPCOMING DINING REPORT: It's the most wonderful time...FOOD & WINE! Oct/Nov 2014~
Old 06-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Mom2Stitch
Mouseketeer

I love your title!!! Your family sounds just like mine, only I'm the Mom and DS is just now starting his college career instead of finishing it. Congrats to you on all of your hard work!

We also customize our touring plans around our ADRs-seems crazy, but it works for us. When we start planning where we are going to eat is all that is important to DH, lol.

We will be there in September also, our first ever trip without DS. We'll miss him, but I'm sure we will manage somehow

I have noticed that ADRs for 2 seem easier to come by.

Count me in!

2001 ASMo, 2002 POR, 2003-2008 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 Poly, 2011 CSR, 2012 CSR,2013 CSR
Mom2Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Subbing! Sounds like an awesome plan I am also in college and use my annual Disney trips as much needed breaks!
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you'll have a wonderful time! September is my favorite time to visit WDW. Crowds are lower and it's still warm/hot enough to visit the waterparks. And it's before F&WF which brings in so many people to EPCOT.

My DD13 was in year round school for her first 6 years in school, off in September so that's when we went. (a few times in January as well) then in 7th and 8th she was off in late Sept/Oct. so we went in early October. I like September better. Now she's going into 9th grade and regular schedule. No idea when we will be going again. Maybe first of January?

So for now I'll have to live vicariously through others reports.....
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
TinkerBelle_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Stitch View Post
I love your title!!! Your family sounds just like mine, only I'm the Mom and DS is just now starting his college career instead of finishing it. Congrats to you on all of your hard work!

We also customize our touring plans around our ADRs-seems crazy, but it works for us. When we start planning where we are going to eat is all that is important to DH, lol.

We will be there in September also, our first ever trip without DS. We'll miss him, but I'm sure we will manage somehow

I have noticed that ADRs for 2 seem easier to come by.

Count me in!
Congrats to your son! College is really exciting and a great new challenge. I graduated from University of Toronto in 2007 and after 5 years of working I was excited to get back to school. I'll admit the MBA has been grueling and now I want to go back to work LOL.

I agree that party of 2 ADRs are easier! Whenever I travel with a friend it is easier to find reservations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive2WDW View Post
Subbing! Sounds like an awesome plan I am also in college and use my annual Disney trips as much needed breaks!
Thanks! I absolutely love using Disney as my break from school. All my classmates know about my love for WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneydaz View Post
Sounds like you'll have a wonderful time! September is my favorite time to visit WDW. Crowds are lower and it's still warm/hot enough to visit the waterparks. And it's before F&WF which brings in so many people to EPCOT.

My DD13 was in year round school for her first 6 years in school, off in September so that's when we went. (a few times in January as well) then in 7th and 8th she was off in late Sept/Oct. so we went in early October. I like September better. Now she's going into 9th grade and regular schedule. No idea when we will be going again. Maybe first of January?

So for now I'll have to live vicariously through others reports.....
We went to WDW all the time when I was younger. I was a straight A student and my parents were always comfortable taking me out for a week at the beginning of the school year. In fact, Epcot taught me so much as a child. I credit Spaceship Earth with my love affair with History!

We adore Food & Wine and typically go every year but we really are sick of the crowds. That is one of the main reasons we are taking a break from visiting at that time of year.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
TinkerBelle_325

60 DAYS!!
The Best Of Disney Food Part 1

Hi All!

Thanks to everyone who has joined in so far I'll be in WDW 60 days from today! And while I really want that time to fly, I have a LOT to accomplish by then! I am currently writing my MBA thesis (current draft is 32 pages....needs to be about 45 ). I have to defend it in the middle of August and then complete my summer internship. Needless to say I am going to NEED this vacation.

The Best of Disney Food Part 1

There are 8 weeks until my WDW trip and I thought it would be fun to do a few updates on "The Best of Disney Food". This week will showcase my current favorite WDW restaurant: Jiko!

First Visit - Oct 2008

Ostrich with Sweet Potato "Risotto"

BBQ Chicken Flatbread with Kenyan Coffee Sauce & Apple

The Famous Filet with Mac & Cheese

September/October 2009

Taste of Africa & Cheese Selection

September 2010

Maise-crusted Corvina with Vegetables of the Moment

Spice Cake with Mango Sorbet

October 2011

Wild Boar with Chakalaka

Crispy Beef Bobotie Rolls

Braised Short Rib

The Perfect Cup

December 2012 (two visits)

Cheese Selection & Taste of Africa

Indugay Tibs in Brik (Mushroom Stuffed Pastries with Curry Sauce)

Pork Belly with Mixed Greens, Almond Pastries & Local Corn

Filet with Ancient Grains

Short Rib with Tomato Demi Glace, Root Vegetables & Ground Nuts

Special Dessert Trio - Peppermint Creme Brulee, Cheesecake with Spiced Fruit Compote, Rooibos and Chocolate Cake

Last edited by TinkerBelle_325; 08-24-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
TinkerBelle_325

34 DAYS!!

Hey all! Sorry to have gone MIA again but I am in the home stretch of my MBA! My 12,000+ word paper has been approved by my supervisor, my 4 foot by 3 foot academic poster is at the printer and my informal defense session is scheduled for Aug 15th!

I'm taking a few minutes to breathe and pop in to update! Only 34 days until we return to WDW! And man do we need a vacation. We typically vacation every 4 to 6 months, but it has been such a crazy year that our last vacation was 9 months ago! For us, that is a LONG time

For those that have read my reviews in the past, you know that my family makes a LOT of changes (sometimes at my prompting and sometimes at my dismay! )

Here is the updated Dining Itinerary with changes in
RED

Tuesday, September 3rd
BREAKFAST - Cleveland Airport
LUNCH - Wolfgang Puck Express

DINNER - Outback Steakhouse (Offsite)

Wednesday, September 4th
BREAKFAST - Main Street Bakery/Starbucks/Gaston's Tavern
LUNCH - Liberty Tree Tavern
DINNER - Via Napoli

Thursday, September 5th
BRUNCH - Boma
DINNER - Les Chefs de France

Friday, September 6th
BREAKFAST - Sunshine Seasons
LUNCH - Le Cellier

DINNER - Jiko

Saturday, September 7th
BREAKFAST - Wolfgang Puck Express
LUNCH - Garden View Tea/ESPN (DDad)

DINNER - San Angel Inn OR California Grill

Sunday, September 8th
BREAKFAST - In Room
LUNCH - Trail's End

DINNER - San Angel Inn OR California Grill

Monday, September 9th
BREAKFAST - Kona Cafe
LUNCH - California Pizza Kitchen (Offsite)

DINNER - Jiko

Tuesday, September 10th
BREAKFAST - Starring Rolls
LUNCH - 50s Primetime (Meg)/ESPN Club (DDad & DMom)
DINNER - Liberty Tree Tavern

Wednesday, September 11th
BREAKFAST - Main Street Bakery/Starbucks
LUNCH - Cracker Barrel (Offsite)

DINNER - Les Chefs de France

Thursday, September 12th
BREAKFAST - Pepper Market
LUNCH - Orlando Airport

Now you will notice that I have added the California Grill to the itinerary. While they technically haven't released the reopening date, the speculation is strongly pointing to the end of Aug/beginning of Sept. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we can score a reservation on the 7th or 8th because we are dying to see the renovations and try the new menu!

My DDad insisted that I point out something: I told him a few weeks ago that there was NO WAY that California Grill would be open in time for our September trip. Technically we don't know that it will as of yet, but it appears that I may have to eat my words and admit that his optimism won out!

Last edited by TinkerBelle_325; 08-24-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
10_Kyle_10
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great trip and awesome restaurants. My wife and I will be there the 7th - 14th but doesn't look like our ADRs overlap at all.

Any Jelly Rolls or nighttime plans?

Fort Wilderness: 1991, 1992, 1995 x 2, 2005 / Wilderness Lodge: 2000 / Caribbean Beach: 2002 / Coronado Springs: 2010 / All Star Sports: 1997 / All Star Music: 2007, 2009, 2011 / Pop Century: 2008, 2012, 2013 / Grosvenor: 2006 / Off Site: 1990
10_Kyle_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_325 View Post
"First we eat, then we do everything else!" - M.F.K. Fisher

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Wise words! Not sure about all of you but when it comes to planning a WDW vacation the very first thing my family sets in order is where we want to eat and when. I know some people look at crowd calendars and others review park hours, but we go by dining reservations.

Tuesday, September 3rd
BREAKFAST - Cleveland Airport
I'm so looking forward to hearing all about your trip and the restaurants you have chosen. As for breakfast at Cleveland Hopkins Airport; I bet that one has you more excited than anything Disney has to offer. Being that Cleveland is where I'm flying out of as well I'm sure we will be grabbing breakfast there as well.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
TinkerBelle_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
I'm so looking forward to hearing all about your trip and the restaurants you have chosen. As for breakfast at Cleveland Hopkins Airport; I bet that one has you more excited than anything Disney has to offer. Being that Cleveland is where I'm flying out of as well I'm sure we will be grabbing breakfast there as well.
LOL oh yes....thrilled with the Cleveland Airport breakfast
Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
TinkerBelle_325

SINGLE DIGIT DANCE & THE BEST OF DISNEY FOOD PART 2

I can't believe it is already time for me to do the single digit dance!

Since my last update I have officially finished my MBA and I am wrapping up my internship this coming week. I am also in full vacation prep mode!

So as I am sitting here and listening to sorcerer radio I thought I might as well do another update. Here is:

The Best of Disney Food Part 2

Part 1 revealed some of my favorite items from Jiko. Now, Part 2 will reveal some of my favorite items from my next favorite signature restaurant: California Grill. Plus it is somewhat fitting to do this update now, given that reservations for the newly renovated California Grill open on Monday!

August 2007

Place Setting

Sushi Place Setting

Custom Sushi Platter

Sourdough Bread with Olive Oil and Sea Salt Butter

Lobster & Avocado Salad

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli

June 2009

Cheese Selection

Snake in the Grass Roll & Spicy Kazan Roll

August 2009

Sunset drenched place setting

Spicy Kazan Roll

Shrimp Tempura Roll

Signature Oak Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Goat Cheese Polenta

October 2009

Cheese Selection

Amazing Dessert Platter!

September 2010

Ahi Tuna Three Ways

Tempura Bonzai Roll

October 2011

Crispy Asian Rock Shrimp Salad

October 2012

Sunset drenched sushi

Close Up

We have dined at the California Grill 15 times in the past 7 years, and we cannot wait to see the changes to both the space and the menu
Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
iwasdaisy
Mouseketeer

I'm in

Have a great trip!!

Summer 2000 College Program
Summer 2007 BW with DH
Beach Club June 2010
WL February 2014
iwasdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
TinkerBelle_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasdaisy View Post
Have a great trip!!
Thanks for reading!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: