Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #106
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice
 
Golden Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 957

I am the product of a single mother who pulled me out of (private) school often for vacations all the way through my school career. She had no choice; when she had conferences that took her out of town several times a year, she usually took me with her. (She could usually find a friend or babysitter to watch me for individual sessions she attended.) Most of the time her conferences were scheduled at interesting vacation destinations, and she would add a few days on one end of it so we could do things together. I always got my work done, I never got behind, and I never thought of missing school as that big a deal. Once I got to middle and high school, there were certainly weeks I could not miss, if there was a big test, project due, or theatre production I was in, but, honestly, I consistently missed school for family vacations.

I learned very early to find a school/life balance, which translated in adulthood to a very healthy work/life balance. I am a firm believer that children learn as much or more from seeing the world and seeing how other people live, as they do from reading about it. We've pulled our children out of school for vacations for two to three weeks a year every year. (Some of these are cruises, including Disney cruises.) I have an 8 year old who has eaten crepes in France, explored the British Museum in London, climbed ancient Mayan temples in Belize, stared open-mouthed around great cathedrals in Spain, snorkeled coral reefs in Honduras, and swum with, and studied the lifecycles of, sea turtles in Grand Cayman. He's done these all during vacations he took during the school year, with the blessing of his school, (who believes, as I do, that family time is important.)

Missing school does not work for all children, or for all schools, and it certainly isn't practical all times of the year. Only you know your own child's tolerance for disrupted schedules, and how easily they can make up work and get back into their routine. I HAD to learn to be adaptable as a child, I was going to be pulled from school. There may come a time when our kids don't want to be pulled from school because they may not be comfortable with it, but so far, our son is displaying the same adaptability I acquired as a child.
__________________

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #107
EvaSue
DIS Veteran
 
EvaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, baby!
Posts: 528

Great post, Golden Rose, I couldn't agree more, and good for you! Vacations are OUR time to teach our children. Things that we don't need or want them learning behind a desk. Why have children if you're not going to raise them? I'm sure there are special situations where this does not apply, but for most kids, and in most situations, pull them out, for goodness sakes, and make sure you communicate with your partners in the classroom to help them stay on top. Happy sailing!
EvaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #108
Dreamscome2ru
Mouseketeer
 
Dreamscome2ru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Posts: 105

Golden rosé, it sounds like you have a great mother who did a great job raising you!
Dreamscome2ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #109
Kendal
DIS Veteran
 
Kendal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Illinois not Chicago!
Posts: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Rose View Post
I am the product of a single mother who pulled me out of (private) school often for vacations all the way through my school career. She had no choice; when she had conferences that took her out of town several times a year, she usually took me with her. (She could usually find a friend or babysitter to watch me for individual sessions she attended.) Most of the time her conferences were scheduled at interesting vacation destinations, and she would add a few days on one end of it so we could do things together. I always got my work done, I never got behind, and I never thought of missing school as that big a deal. Once I got to middle and high school, there were certainly weeks I could not miss, if there was a big test, project due, or theatre production I was in, but, honestly, I consistently missed school for family vacations.

I learned very early to find a school/life balance, which translated in adulthood to a very healthy work/life balance. I am a firm believer that children learn as much or more from seeing the world and seeing how other people live, as they do from reading about it. We've pulled our children out of school for vacations for two to three weeks a year every year. (Some of these are cruises, including Disney cruises.) I have an 8 year old who has eaten crepes in France, explored the British Museum in London, climbed ancient Mayan temples in Belize, stared open-mouthed around great cathedrals in Spain, snorkeled coral reefs in Honduras, and swum with, and studied the lifecycles of, sea turtles in Grand Cayman. He's done these all during vacations he took during the school year, with the blessing of his school, (who believes, as I do, that family time is important.)

Missing school does not work for all children, or for all schools, and it certainly isn't practical all times of the year. Only you know your own child's tolerance for disrupted schedules, and how easily they can make up work and get back into their routine. I HAD to learn to be adaptable as a child, I was going to be pulled from school. There may come a time when our kids don't want to be pulled from school because they may not be comfortable with it, but so far, our son is displaying the same adaptability I acquired as a child.
Thumbs up golden rose and to your mom!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #110
JnDRader
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Outside Atlanta
Posts: 360

Definitely pull them. We have and will continue to pull the kids from school for an occasional vacation. Private school makes it fairly easy. I know some public school districts can make it problematic.
__________________


JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #111
ChipnDalePals
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 39

I agree with Carrie! My boys are in a private college prep school. My husbands busiest time of the year is the summer months. We took our boys out for a week long cruise every year when they were in lower school. We always alerted the school as soon as we scheduled it and I met with their teachers to get the work they would miss. Every morning after breakfast, they did 1-2 hours of school work before we started our fun. When we returned and they turned their work in, they were AHEAD of the class is several subjects. It is possible to do both! Spend good quality time with your kids now. They will forget most of the many days of school they attended but they will never forget the week you spend on a Disney cruise!
ChipnDalePals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #112
Ashleyfaz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 196

I see so many people who pull their kids out of school for vacations- I'm just wondering how you would feel if the teacher left for a week of vacation?

I'm not saying its wrong to pull kids out as long as they can keep up, but I'm a teacher and would love to go on vacation during the year when it's cheaper. I don't because I'd rather be in the classroom teaching my kids (high school math) instead of a sub.
Ashleyfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #113
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.
 
jjje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 692

Meh. Wouldn't bother me at all as long as the sub was able to do an adequate job teaching.
__________________

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #114
my2princessgirls
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 733

When our girls were in (private) school, their teachers and the administration were very supportive of us taking the girls on vacations during the school year. We even had teachers helping us to keep the surprise until the day of departure. Thankfully they understood that not all families can vacation during school breaks. We homeschool now, so it's completely a non-issue - I plan our vacations for when everyone is in school on purpose, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyfaz View Post
I see so many people who pull their kids out of school for vacations- I'm just wondering how you would feel if the teacher left for a week of vacation?

I'm not saying its wrong to pull kids out as long as they can keep up, but I'm a teacher and would love to go on vacation during the year when it's cheaper. I don't because I'd rather be in the classroom teaching my kids (high school math) instead of a sub.
When my girls were in (private) school, their teachers sometimes did take vacation during the school year. I was just as happy for them as they were for us when we went on vacation.
__________________
Danielle
Me DH DD(11) DD(9)
my2princessgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #115
Ashleyfaz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2princessgirls

When my girls were in (private) school, their teachers sometimes did take vacation during the school year. I was just as happy for them as they were for us when we went on vacation.
Awesome! I usually take 1 or 2 days off before a holiday to get a head start. I would just hope parents understand. Usually a sub cannot teach for me (high school math). The classes I teach are upper level so I choose not to take off too much. I usually don't have a lot of kids whose parents take them to go on vacation. It's just too hard to miss all of the AP/honors classes they are in high school.
Ashleyfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #116
Ashleyfaz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje
Meh. Wouldn't bother me at all as long as the sub was able to do an adequate job teaching.
Subs usually can't teach the upper level math classes in high school. If I missed a week, the students would basically not learn anything new for a week.
Ashleyfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #117
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2princessgirls
When our girls were in (private) school, their teachers and the administration were very supportive of us taking the girls on vacations during the school year. We even had teachers helping us to keep the surprise until the day of departure. Thankfully they understood that not all families can vacation during school breaks. We homeschool now, so it's completely a non-issue - I plan our vacations for when everyone is in school on purpose, lol!

When my girls were in (private) school, their teachers sometimes did take vacation during the school year. I was just as happy for them as they were for us when we went on vacation.
After elementary, we homeschooled as well. (Vocational classes from 15, 16, 17)

I remember one yr in elementary, there were several out of state weddings in our family and a FL trip or something. Was 5th grade or less so 10 or younger. Someone said something about attendance to Dad. He pointed out that having kids stand end to end with arms out in the assembly hall to demonstrate how big a whale is was no substitution for Sea World where he was taking us or that telling ghost stories wasn't academic either and that he was going to homeschool us through middle school anyway so it would be nothing to take us out a few months early. No one brought it up again. We have gotten to go all over the world since then. (We also enjoyed WDW in Jan almost every yr when next to no one was there because of his tech conventions being held there.) It was a great upbringing! We also had regular job experience in offices since we were 16 which we have built off of for yrs. Older sis is a top AL/FL realtor who has built a huge team, Twinkie has worked at Boeing and currently helps coordinate massive medical card / brochure projects for a firm, I went to some college, have worked for Japanese company and studied it in Detroit, moved south and apprenticed until I ran and operated my own business up until 2 yrs ago and now I work in agency marketing sales coordinating for broadcasting.

Bottom line, we turned out very successful and we are thankful to our parents for opening up all kinds of opportunities to us. My parents did not agree with all the teaching subjects anyway (not talking about math and English of course but certain subjects diverge from our viewpoints) and so they were our educators first and foremost.
__________________
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #118
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer
 
ThePicketts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cannock, England
Posts: 379

As a former teacher in school, I never took a sick day or a vacation day knowing that if I missed a school day, it would be so hard at my ret
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #119
dansamy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyfaz

Subs usually can't teach the upper level math classes in high school. If I missed a week, the students would basically not learn anything new for a week.
That's an inadequacy of the subs available in your system. I know our local system doesn't really have any qualifications required for subs other than breathing & not a felon. Some school systems do have subs available with advanced degrees & capable of teaching higher math/science classes.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #120
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer
 
ThePicketts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cannock, England
Posts: 379

As a former teacher in school, I never took a sick day or a vacation day knowing that if I missed a school day, it would be so hard at my return to get the students back on track. However, I was always excited for my students to be able to get away with their loved ones and explore new things. Isn't that what growing up is really about? I'm actually one of those strange people that honestly believe the PARENT knows what is best for their child. Yes, parents can make mistakes, but isn't the same true of educators?
Now I homeschooling and a LOVE the absolute freedom for myself and my students/children!!!
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.