Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #91
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post

agree with this...we did it with my daughter in pre-school and kindergarten but once she entered first grade that was the end of pulling her out of school...granted there are other reasons as well (dance classes/dance recitals, CCD/religous classes, etc)
Sorry, my post was not targeted at you. I was typing on my phone forever haha.

P.S. OT: why don't my posts have that "from my iPhone using disboards app" thingy?

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #92
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
Sorry, my post was not targeted at you. I was typing on my phone forever haha.

P.S. OT: why don't my posts have that "from my iPhone using disboards app" thingy?
no swet....

after we pulled her out of kindergarten for five days for the DCL we got a warning letter from the school district that she had missed 10 days of school....i was somewhere between laughing and pretty angry considering my daughter is a good student...

Last edited by Zeppelin; 06-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #93
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

I have several family members who are teachers so I have long been aware of the extra work that pulling a kid out of school can make for a teacher. Because of that we always do our best to let teachers know well in advance when we plan on having the kids miss school. We always ask if there is any work they can give us in advance that they already have prepared and ready to go and when we get home to give any additional work that the class did while we are gone. We try not to make any extra work for the teachers. So far it has always worked.

One year my son missed a week of school because he was laying in a hospital bed unable to breath. After that I kind of lost any reservations I had about pulling my kids out of school for the fun stuff. For me personally, if there was some tragedy in our family I'm pretty sure I would look back and think "Thank goodness we had all that great family time!" and not "Thank goodness my kid never missed a test!"

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #94
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Another teacher here, I teach kinder and first, and i often have kids miss a week for vacation. Most of the time, it's fine and no big deal. Our district forbids giving work ahead of time, so I just make them a folder to complete when they return as the week goes on. It is very true they miss quite a bit of class learning that can't be replicated in a worksheet, but for most kids, it's fine. They get the number of days missed to return the work, again policy.

The only tricky thing is if they miss 10 days (2 weeks) they are dis enrolled and have to re enroll at the district office when they return. This is 30 min away, a ton of paperwork, birth certificate, proof of residency, vaccinations etc. I have only had one kid who ever missed this many days for a vacation though.

My own opinion for my family, is until 3rd grade I would do a week. 4/5 3 days, after that 1-2, assuming my kids are doing well.

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #95
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

It's been our families choice to pull the kids out for this. My kids are 16 and 12 now and the days as a 'family unit' are numbered and FLYING BY! We took our first cruise when they were 14 and 11 and it was the best family vacation we have ever had.
That being said, we don't cruise a whole lot living in Ohio. Our 3rd cruise is an August, Alaska cruise and my kids will be 17 and 14. Due to cost of the Alaska cruises, they will both miss the first week of school, Her senior year and his freshman year because that was the least expensive option for us.
I know we will never, ever, regret spending that time together as a family considering my baby girl turns 18 the next month! (another reason for squeezing in the Alaska cruise while she is still a 'junior')
Do whats right for you, my kids get great grades and understand school is their priority and only job..they will get what needs to be done, well..done.

Oh, and on a side note..my son spent the last ENTIRE week of 7th grade watching movies and having 'field days'...so, missing the last week of school...might not be a huge deal either.

Last edited by Lobofan5; 06-08-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: side note
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #96
sippican
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I never considered the extra work that I put the teacher through in preparing my som's independent study packet. I didn't realize that she probably did that on her own time. We were new to the school (kindergarten). When I requested the time off (we are in California) I had no idea we'd get this huge packet of work sent home. Now that the year is coming to a close I realize how much the teacher does for those 27kids and the little time she has during the day to get everything done. I feel bad about what I did now. Seems pretty like a pretty selfish thing for me to do just to go on a longer or cheaper vacation. I was considering the WBPC in 2014 but I don't think we should now.
Wish every parent had your ability to look at things from another perspective! Don't feel bad about taking your vacation, just let the teacher know you appreciate her afforts and go ahead and plan the next one with a big "Thank you" in mind. You'll make the teacher's day by recognizing her/his efforts.

RCI Serenade of the Seas, Arctic Circle, June 2015
Past Cruises:
RCI Jewel, CCL Imagination, CCL Valor, NCL Sun, RCL Brilliance, Celebrity Millenium, RCL Voyager, RCL Nordic Prince
WDW Passholder
Numerous stays at Fort Wilderness- 2013 Winnebago Aspect
sippican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #97
Jey12
DIS Veteran

For me it depends on the age of my child, her teacher's feelings about missed time like this, the district policy regarding time out of school and how good of a student my child is. Older kids I think it is much more difficult for them to miss, especially if they are in honor classes or play a sport or are involved in other activities. Younger kids in my district start state testing in 3rd grade and I wouldn't pull my younger student out right before or during these times. I would suggest you know your district policy on unexcused absences, talk with the principal and teacher about the missed time and really take their opinion into consideration as well as how good of a student your child is.

Kids have so many days off anymore in our district it isn't that hard to plan a school year vacation around one of these off times. Last year we went to WDW around fall break so DD only missed 3 days instead of a week. Her class was so excited about her trip the teacher made a lesson plan out of WDW and let DD be the star student of the day. She was sick for 2 full weeks this year so no trip was planned because I felt she had already missed too much school. Next year we are once again planning on a week long cruise over the fall break, assuming she doesn't decide to pick up funky germ bugs before the trip. School starts for us Aug. 12th next year so by Halloween it's conference time and easier for DD to miss a few days. Assuming she's keeping up on the classwork. I will speak with her teacher early in the year about our plans and do whatever she suggests as far as missing school work. Handouts are printed as needed for classrooms at our school so getting work ahead of time is out of the question. I appreciate all of the wonderful work the teachers do at our school and will do whatever I can to prevent her teacher from having to do extra work to accommodate our vacation plans. We are traveling with my SIL who happens to be a 2nd grade teacher in another district and she was given the week off without question, so I feel pretty good it's a good time of year to take an extended break.

I know other people feel unless you're seriously sick you should be in school and there's nothing wrong with that line of thinking. That's how you feel and how you raise your kids. For me personally I was a straight A student who was taken out for a week every year until 5th grade and I feel those memories are just as important as the missed school work. Summer vacations are not really an option for us most of the time and so I choose to take my child out of school during what I feel are appropriate times. It's how i chose to raise my child, and as long as her grades and education aren't being shorted I am ok with it. I am positive kids from homes that believe either way on this topic will turn out just fine.

Last edited by Jey12; 06-09-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #98
DeniseMarie526
Whenever you pack your bags, never forget the pixie dust!

Just found out that my sons spring break 2014 is the week BEFORE we sail. I guess he'll get a two week break. His Sister will turn 21 only once!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #99
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

I've been reading this thread now for a few days now and probably will get bashed for my comments.

I teach middle school. Plenty of parents take their kids out for vacation. That's their choice. When this happens, I do spend a few hours putting together work for that student so that he/she is hopefully not too far behind when he/she return. I do get frustrated when the work isn't completed. If you have no intention of doing the work because you're taking a vacation then please don't ask for it. Likewise, understand that your child will be behind when they return. Some kids handle this just fine and work diligently to catch up while others simply don't bother. You know your children best so you do what works for you and your family. I just wish the parents wouldn't blame me when "sample student" isn't doing well in my class when they missed instructional time.

That being said, I would never pull out my high schooler nor my middle schooler. My high schooler won't even miss a day of school unless he's practically on his death bed with the flu. It's too difficult to make up that time especially with block schedule and AP classes.

On a side note, I do love my summers off, but like everyone here has noted, school vacations are peak travel season. I would LOVE to take a vacation during non-peak times. I'm sure I could incorporate my travel experiences into my curriculum. I could definitely find a good way to tie in DCL to Archimedes principle. However I would bet there would be a number of parent complaints if I missed a week of school to go on vacation.

As I said, I will probably get bashed for my comments.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #100
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyriddle View Post
When this happens, I do spend a few hours putting together work for that student so that he/she is hopefully not too far behind when he/she return. I do get frustrated when the work isn't completed. If you have no intention of doing the work because you're taking a vacation then please don't ask for it. .
AMEN!!!! This is SO annoying and happens at least half the time- and I teach kinder and first! We don't have grades per say, mostly report card scores are given on teacher input.... so I gotta think it happens less in the upper grades, but it is so frustrating to save all the work for a week (I am not allowed to give it ahead) and then have it never come back.

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #101
Jey12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
AMEN!!!! This is SO annoying and happens at least half the time- and I teach kinder and first! We don't have grades per say, mostly report card scores are given on teacher input.... so I gotta think it happens less in the upper grades, but it is so frustrating to save all the work for a week (I am not allowed to give it ahead) and then have it never come back.

I would find this extremely rude to do and it doesn't surprise me. Now for DD when we missed for a trip in kindergarten and also when she was out sick in 1st grade we did not return the worksheets sent home, because the teacher said not to worry about it. I'm sure it varies from classes and schools, but for us I think DD's teachers knew I would work through those with her and she didn't want the extra paperwork sitting on her desk.
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #102
momtomattclare
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyriddle View Post
I've been reading this thread now for a few days now and probably will get bashed for my comments.

I teach middle school. Plenty of parents take their kids out for vacation. That's their choice. When this happens, I do spend a few hours putting together work for that student so that he/she is hopefully not too far behind when he/she return. I do get frustrated when the work isn't completed. If you have no intention of doing the work because you're taking a vacation then please don't ask for it. Likewise, understand that your child will be behind when they return. Some kids handle this just fine and work diligently to catch up while others simply don't bother. You know your children best so you do what works for you and your family. I just wish the parents wouldn't blame me when "sample student" isn't doing well in my class when they missed instructional time.

That being said, I would never pull out my high schooler nor my middle schooler. My high schooler won't even miss a day of school unless he's practically on his death bed with the flu. It's too difficult to make up that time especially with block schedule and AP classes.

On a side note, I do love my summers off, but like everyone here has noted, school vacations are peak travel season. I would LOVE to take a vacation during non-peak times. I'm sure I could incorporate my travel experiences into my curriculum. I could definitely find a good way to tie in DCL to Archimedes principle. However I would bet there would be a number of parent complaints if I missed a week of school to go on vacation.

As I said, I will probably get bashed for my comments.
High school teacher here and I could not agree with you more. Very well stated!! I teach in a top tier school in a Chicago suburb. I have students miss often for family vacations, sports tournaments, college visits, etc. Some students manage this fine, but for many students they do not have the maturity, organizational skills and/or ability to recover from an extended absence. For these students such an absence will often result in at least a drop in a letter grade.

momtomattclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #103
Kendal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtomattclare View Post

High school teacher here and I could not agree with you more. Very well stated!! I teach in a top tier school in a Chicago suburb. I have students miss often for family vacations, sports tournaments, college visits, etc. Some students manage this fine, but for many students they do not have the maturity, organizational skills and/or ability to recover from an extended absence. For these students such an absence will often result in at least a drop in a letter grade.
I do have to say that when we get my stepsons homework before we go it is done when we turn it in and I do har I say I feel sorry for you teachers that do take the time to prepare for these students who will be gone and they do my bother to do it...... I myself would say that's inexcusable

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #104
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I asked one of my DD's teachers her thoughts on missing school for vacation and she said for good students, it was never a problem. She did inform me that the school was paid on attendance, so if they missed 1-4 days, the school would lose their funding for those days. If they were gone 5 or more days, they could do an agreement that they would do their missed work and the school would be paid for all days missed. So, ironically, it would be BETTER for the school to miss 5 or more days!
This said, my girls haven't missed school yet for vacations. My guess is at some point in elementary school they will.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #105
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

we pull our kids out for vacations.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: