Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #76
DisneyDreamer2504
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad to see a discussion about this. My DH and I don't have kids, and traveling during the school year is most convenient for us. But every time we go there's always so many kids, and we wonder which are homeschooled and which were taken out. We both agree though, that if we had kids we would take them out, barring circumstances, rather than travel during the dreaded spring break or summer. It's def a personal decision, so I think it's important not to judge other family's choices.

Sept '10 - Wonder
Sept '11 - WDW Caribbean Beach/Dream - Honeymoon!
May '12 - AKV
Sept '13 - SSR/FANTASY
DisneyDreamer2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #77
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice416 View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
As long as they can keep up, yes. Unfortunately we learned the hard way that taking my daughters out is no longer an option. Live and learn and to each his/her own. Every child and situation is different.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #78
jaywalker17
Earning My Ears

We've taken our son out for many vacations. This time was a little harder for him to catch up. He's in 3rd grade. It won't stop us next year, but at some point, we know we'll have to plan around his spring break.
jaywalker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #79
ChrisParker
Mouseketeer

Another teacher opinion here...

I teach high school English. It's not unusual for 3 or 4 kids per semester to miss a week or two of my class. Because we are semestered, students have 4 classes each day for 75 minutes, so a week is quite a chunk of time.

I fully appreciate the educational merits of travel - I lived in Europe for 3 years after Uni and have schlepped my children across the pond more times than I can count. And were I not a teacher, I would take my primary-aged kids to WDW/DCL when it is cheaper. So no judgement there.

I will say that I don't feel that it is my job as a teacher to prepare work before a vacation. If I know what's coming up, I'll let a student know, and I'll pretty much always let kids hand things in late for a vacation, within reason (I don't particularly like marking an entire semester's work the day of the exam for example...it happens here ). If I know exactly what assignments are coming up, I'll happily let students know but if we're doing a novel study, for example, there are about 100 assignments I could assign during that 5 week period to assess the skills I need to see, and I decide based on how the class is going, so I don't usually tell students before they go exactly what they'll be missing. And it is the student's job to find out when they get back. Like I said, I'm pretty accommodating (read: a bit soft ).

Totally agree with the previous educator's post that a lot of the learning that happens in a classroom is in the discussion. Even if students make up an assignment, they have missed the teaching, which to my mind is more important in terms of education.

I have a student right now who is going to Halifax for two weeks to take part in a drum core event. Wow, I said. Fantastic. That's amazing. He's writing the final out there with the VP's approval. Another girl this year went to Israel for 2 weeks for her sister's bat mitzvah. Fantastic, I said. What an opportunity. Because we were doing a novel study at the time, she wrote reflections about her journey which I substituted for the reflections we wrote about the novel, because I thought that was where the authentic writing was for her, and the education.

So I guess to sum up, I think it is wonderful when families can go away on vacation. But they need to realize that is a choice, and part of that choice is missing the class time, and sometimes there are repercussions, whether they be not understanding the material as well come exam time, or having to do more work when they get back. As long as the parents don't deem it my job to give them work to take away or make sure they hand things in when they get back, I wish them all the best and usually wish I could go too!

Follow us to the Fantasy Pre-Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099534
ChrisParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #80
socababy
DIS Veteran

I took my kids out of school for two weeks for the Panama cruise last Dec. They were in 4th, 2nd and pre school. Their teachers were more than accommodating. The boys didn't have a lot of homework to make up but the grief they gave me about doing the work itself was enough to tell me that this would be the last time I take them out of school for that amount of time.

I am hoping to go on the Panama cruise next May. I do plan on taking my daughter who will be in Kinder but I already let the boys know they will not be able to go because of school.
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #81
kimistry6
DIS Veteran

Last year we scheduled our cruise for the last week of school. He missed the last 6 days of 3rd grade. We had no problems with it because his teacher had already sent a note home saying that they were finished with homework and tests, etc. They were just doing busy work and killing time. We try not to miss school for vacation, but we would definitely do this scenario again.
kimistry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #82
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I never considered the extra work that I put the teacher through in preparing my som's independent study packet. I didn't realize that she probably did that on her own time. We were new to the school (kindergarten). When I requested the time off (we are in California) I had no idea we'd get this huge packet of work sent home. Now that the year is coming to a close I realize how much the teacher does for those 27kids and the little time she has during the day to get everything done. I feel bad about what I did now. Seems pretty like a pretty selfish thing for me to do just to go on a longer or cheaper vacation. I was considering the WBPC in 2014 but I don't think we should now.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #83
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I never considered the extra work that I put the teacher through in preparing my som's independent study packet. I didn't realize that she probably did that on her own time. We were new to the school (kindergarten). When I requested the time off (we are in California) I had no idea we'd get this huge packet of work sent home. Now that the year is coming to a close I realize how much the teacher does for those 27kids and the little time she has during the day to get everything done. I feel bad about what I did now. Seems pretty like a pretty selfish thing for me to do just to go on a longer or cheaper vacation. I was considering the WBPC in 2014 but I don't think we should now.
In California the requirement for IS work for attendance credit is 60% completion. Depending on the school and the teacher, it may not be the teacher pulling the work. It may be a secretary or an administrator. We took our first grader out for five days but before I decided on Independent Study (qualifies for attendance credit) or verifying absences another way, I asked the teacher about it to see what kind of work it would be and who would have to do the work of gathering and correcting it. Had I not gotten the impression that his teacher was really okay with it, I would have thought longer about it. As a teacher myself, it really can be a pain but it isn't always a pain. Sometimes it's really not a big deal. It depends on the time of year, the curriculum, the student, and the family.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #84
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post

In California the requirement for IS work for attendance credit is 60% completion. Depending on the school and the teacher, it may not be the teacher pulling the work. It may be a secretary or an administrator. We took our first grader out for five days but before I decided on Independent Study (qualifies for attendance credit) or verifying absences another way, I asked the teacher about it to see what kind of work it would be and who would have to do the work of gathering and correcting it. Had I not gotten the impression that his teacher was really okay with it, I would have thought longer about it. As a teacher myself, it really can be a pain but it isn't always a pain. Sometimes it's really not a big deal. It depends on the time of year, the curriculum, the student, and the family.
I know for a fact that she did it. The week before we left she told me she was going to get the packet together over the weekend. I thought that was odd because I thought well how big of a deal can it be? When I got it I realized it was a very big deal and took a lot of work to do. It was basically everything he did every day in school for 2 weeks. I homeschooled him for 2 weeks while on vacation. No one told me about only having to do 60% of it and if that was only 60% I would have hated to see 100%. It took us 2 hours every sea day morning (there were 8 ) and one port day (Ensenada where we didn't get off) to get those 10 days of work done. Even if they told us to only do 60% of it as a bonafide type A over achiever there's no way I wouldn't have made us complete it all.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #85
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhdhd View Post

Thank you for this comment. I hate reading about how weeks of class can be made up with some handouts.

Obviously parents can do what they want (and they are, based on reading this thread), but few of them think about the larger consequences--on the other students in the class; on the teacher, who is expected to cheerily provide "makeup work," which can't possibly represent what the child missed; and on the school district, which is charged with educating students and complying with state laws about attendance or losing funding.
I agree with this. My parents never took me out of school. Certainly by high school I was taking the kind of classes that would not allow for having a week off. And I played sports so that also made it impossible. I can't imagine taking my kid out even when he starts kindergarten. I don't like for him to miss a day of preschool. I suspect this is because how my parents raised me. I also don't get how parents can be upset with the schools who are trying to stay accredited???

Having said this I also certainly get it with the parents that can't take time off in the summer. When I worked I had a job that was similar. I hated it. Where we live the kids have a couple days off here and there all the time -- basically 4 day weekends. Plus 2 weeks + at Christmas and a week and a half for spring break.

My neighbors took their four kids out of school this past spring for a week long Disney cruise. This happened to be the week preceding our districts week and a half spring break. I didn't get it but I assume they saved lots of money. It was certainly none of my business but it did make me think how attitudes are so different on this topic. They loved the cruise and its why I'm now looking into one for our family.
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #86
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And his teacher was 'ok with it' but she's the type who will bend over backwards for you and your child and do it with a smile and without complaint. She's an awesome teacher and now that we've completed a whole year with her I definitely feel bad. Anyway, just another thing to think about. It's not always about us and our vacation happiness.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #87
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice416 View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
We pulled our kids out for our cruise in March. DD #1 who is 7 finished all her homework before she left and made up tests when she got back. It was fine, and the school gave us no problems. Family time is most important. But, if my child struggled in school I would hesitate to do this. My oldest DD though does very well and she's in elementary school. It might be harder when their in high school.

ML_LovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #88
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Teachers do all of that on their own time here in FL (I have taught in both public and private schools). However, I never minded putting the work together if I had plenty of notice AND if the student and parents were responsible in getting the work back to me. Tracking down late assignments and remembering who needs to make up what test may not sound like a lot of work...if that were my only job. But that was on top of my regular job teaching as many as 130 students. That said, it truly was not a big deal when it was for a student who I knew would turn it in when she got back and would ASK to take the make up test. A little initiative goes a long way in the eyes of an overworked teacher So don't feel bad about taking time off. Just make it your priority to be on top of the make up work when you return and I bet you'll have a happy teacher
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #89
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfirstimers2013 View Post
I think it depends on the age of the kids. I pulled my kids this year (grades 2 & 4) but would not do it once the older one hits middl school due to the workload in school. Even this time they had quite a bit of work to do when we got back (I got it from the teacher before we left).
agree with this...we did it with my daughter in pre-school and kindergarten but once she entered first grade that was the end of pulling her out of school...granted there are other reasons as well (dance classes/dance recitals, CCD/religous classes, etc)
Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #90
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

There is absolutely no comparison between younger kids and kids in MS/HS. Seriously, if you are worried that your kid will miss a week of kindergarten, then I suggest you prepare yourself for a very stressed out parenthood.

As mentioned in other threads, our twin boys go to private school (just finished 1st grade) so we don't have to comply with district/state regulations, and their school isn't impacted by their absence as far as accreditation goes. We choose to take them out of school for the longer cruises (EBTA, PC, etc), because we like the longer ones and I have no desire to go to the Caribbean or Bahamas. When we did Alaska, that was obviously during the summer, but the TAs and PCs are only offered when they are offered - I can't make DCL change that based on my sons' vacation schedule.

I have a doctorate, so it's not like I don't value education. But I also spent a semester in Florence for undergrad, and everyone who has seen the amazing art, architecture, and culture of things like the Sistine Chapel, David, La Sagrada Familia, etc. will tell you that being there is a gazillion times more meaningful than seeing pictures in a book.

My sons don't have to make up work, so that is another factor. The teachers don't have to do anything extra. Instead, the boys write and draw about what they've seen and present it to the class when they return, along with cool stuff we bought. Their journals stay on a table for other kids to check out for a week or so.

I think everyone has an opinion and no one will change plans due to what is posted here. But I do like seeing what others have to say.

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: