Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #61
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77

I could see 4 weeks being excessive, not sure where that came from? Maybe a post I missed?

But one or two weeks is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. And yes, it could impact the teacher (although, it shouldn't impact that much, if lesson plans are prepared enough in advance).

As far as school ranking, to be blunt, I don't really care if it affects the school's standardized tests or not, that's their problem, not mine. The same goes for funding, if they can't handle it, they need to push that family reasons become excused absences. Bottom line is employers are required to give time off for family reasons, why not schools? I know schools don't want to hear this, but again, FAMILY is the most important thing we will EVER have and it takes work to keep a family together. Yes, sometimes that work is playing together, but that is still doing work to keep the family together.

Personally, I like to schedule my vacations around holidays, so that get more time with taking less vacation time, which would also happen to coincide with school breaks in most cases. But, if I needed to, I would not hesitate to pull the kids out for a week or two. If I had to, I would put them on independent study (which the school is apparently required to permit in our state) or, if the school doesn't permit that and was being insistent that they can't miss, as I said before, I pull the kids out and homeschool them.
Totally agree.
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #62
sippican
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I could see 4 weeks being excessive, not sure where that came from? Maybe a post I missed?

But one or two weeks is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. And yes, it could impact the teacher (although, it shouldn't impact that much, if lesson plans are prepared enough in advance).

As far as school ranking, to be blunt, I don't really care if it affects the school's standardized tests or not, that's their problem, not mine. The same goes for funding, if they can't handle it, they need to push that family reasons become excused absences.

Personally, I like to schedule my vacations around holidays, so that get more time with taking less vacation time, which would also happen to coincide with school breaks in most cases. But, if I needed to, I would not hesitate to pull the kids out for a week or two. If I had to, I would put them on independent study (which the school is apparently required to permit in our state) or, if the school doesn't permit that and was being insistent that they can't miss, as I said before, I pull the kids out and homeschool them.
Post #42
Absences that impact ranking or funding are based on student attendance percentages in the school or district, it doesn't matter if the absences are "excused".
I am not aware of any school department that tells a parent they cannot take their child out of school. In many states there are truancy laws that may be enforced if a child misses a certain number of days (for whatever reason). Sometimes that number is pretty low. Most schools never choose to pursue the issue unless it is a chronic problem. School rankings and funding do impact the entire community: tax base, real estate value, etc.
Home schooling is certainly a wonderful option for those who feel they can best serve their children's needs in that manner.
Again, in the scheme of the Universe, it's a personal decision. Great discussion, many good points made, but I'm sure no one is going to change their plans.

RCI Serenade of the Seas, Arctic Circle, June 2015
RCI Explorer of the Seas, New Zealand, Jan 2016
Past Cruises:
AAMPrima - Danube, RCI Jewel, CCL Imagination, CCL Valor, NCL Sun - Baltics, RCL Brilliance - Med, Celebrity Millenium - Alaska, RCL Voyager, RCL Nordic Prince
WDW Passholder
Numerous stays at Fort Wilderness- 2013 Winnebago Aspect
sippican is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #63
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice416 View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
I missed a day of first grade; now I can't read, write, nor do calculus. I sleep in my parents' basement and have only a Norwegian brown rat for company. And he's mean.

Boy, you will never get a consensus around here on that question!

My personal opinion is that a week of missed schoolwork can still be learned. If my children are doing well in school and will still do well despite missing a few days or a week, then I will take them out of school. If their grades will suffer if I take them out, then I will leave them in. While people on the boards have pretty strong opinions about this, I feel that you can do what is right for your family. For my family: we will only have our daughters live with us for 18 years each. We will remember a week on a Disney Cruise much more than a week of school. That's not to say we should replace ALL the school weeks with Disney, just that I think my daughters can grow up well-rounded and intelligent and knowledgeable even if they miss a week of school each year.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #64
amejiajr8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers

I missed a day of first grade; now I can't read, write, nor do calculus. I sleep in my parents' basement and have only a Norwegian brown rat for company. And he's mean.

Boy, you will never get a consensus around here on that question!

My personal opinion is that a week of missed schoolwork can still be learned. If my children are doing well in school and will still do well despite missing a few days or a week, then I will take them out of school. If their grades will suffer if I take them out, then I will leave them in. While people on the boards have pretty strong opinions about this, I feel that you can do what is right for your family. For my family: we will only have our daughters live with us for 18 years each. We will remember a week on a Disney Cruise much more than a week of school. That's not to say we should replace ALL the school weeks with Disney, just that I think my daughters can grow up well-rounded and intelligent and knowledgeable even if they miss a week of school each year.
Yep
amejiajr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #65
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippican View Post
Post #42
Absences that impact ranking or funding are based on student attendance percentages in the school or district, it doesn't matter if the absences are "excused".
I am not aware of any school department that tells a parent they cannot take their child out of school. In many states there are truancy laws that may be enforced if a child misses a certain number of days (for whatever reason). Sometimes that number is pretty low. Most schools never choose to pursue the issue unless it is a chronic problem. School rankings and funding do impact the entire community: tax base, real estate value, etc.
Home schooling is certainly a wonderful option for those who feel they can best serve their children's needs in that manner.
Again, in the scheme of the Universe, it's a personal decision. Great discussion, many good points made, but I'm sure no one is going to change their plans.
FYI
In California you get the first Truancy Letter after your student misses 3 days. You get the second letter threating to take you to court after missing 6 days. After 10 days they start visiting your house and bringing you into meetings and possibly court. How they decide an absence will differ from district to district. My sons school, it is any absence that is not a Doctors visit or Illness. For all California schools missing more than 30 minutes of school time is counted as an absence even if they were there the rest of the day.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #66
yarlenna
Mouseketeer

I used to be a science teacher. If a child missed a whole week, he/she would have a hard time. Every week, my children had book work, class work, a lab and a quiz. The quiz covered all of it. The child could read the book, and go to the library to read the source work. The labs were done in groups. There was no money for extras - make up labs. My yearly budget was 5 dollars per child for the whole year.
I would never force a child to miss a week of class and expect him/her to do well. I can still remember parents asking why a child had such a low grade. Some of the parents never seemed to understand that missing school does have consequences.
yarlenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #67
twinstars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
Personally, I think sometimes it can be. And like a PP said, taking a week off of school is hardly sending a message that school doesn't matter. Instead, it can send the message that sometimes family matters more than school, especially when it's the only time a family can afford (either in time or money) a trip.

To the OP, only you (and your state laws, apparently) can decide what's best for your child. Personally, I say go for it!
I find it interesting that people are justifying it by saying it is opportunity to spend family time....do you not spend family time on a regular basis? I think if the argument is to spend quality time with your kids, then it isn't necessary to take them out of school to do so.
twinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #68
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstars

I find it interesting that people are justifying it by saying it is opportunity to spend family time....do you not spend family time on a regular basis? I think if the argument is to spend quality time with your kids, then it isn't necessary to take them out of school to do so.
I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be rude, but this is laughable. Isn't that what a vacation with your family is?....family time.
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #69
bigvig1130
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstars

I think this is very insensitive to people who don't have the opportunity to see their children on a regular basis. I have my DD every other weekend. I take any opportunity I can to spend time with her, even if it means missing a week of school. Don't assume you know everyone's personal family situations.
bigvig1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #70
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Today I attended the funeral of a young mother with three boys ages 5, 6 and 8. Today was also the last day of school in our county. I certainly hope that their family did not hold off taking a family vacation until the summer this year.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #71
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Today I attended the funeral of a young mother with three boys ages 5, 6 and 8. Today was also the last day of school in our county. I certainly hope that their family did not hold off taking a family vacation until the summer this year.
Amen.

I've always balked when people say they aren't taking their kids to WDW until they are older b/c they won't remember it. What if the situation changes... I'd sure like to think the memories of the parents or the photos would be treasured. Life doesn't wait.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #72
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

My daughter was in 8th grade this year when I took her out in January. I looked at the school calendar and picked a week there was only 4 school days instead of 5. I somehow felt better she was missing only 4 days instead of 5.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #73
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2n2 View Post
Amen.

I've always balked when people say they aren't taking their kids to WDW until they are older b/c they won't remember it. What if the situation changes... I'd sure like to think the memories of the parents or the photos would be treasured. Life doesn't wait.
God forbid that the reverse happens and a child is lost. I will never forget what I learned from the tragedy of EmmasGrammy here on the DIS.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #74
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

Our vacation in '07 overlapped the beginning of the school year for my sons and my niece. My SIL and I initially felt that we should do a shorter trip or schedule it at another time at first but then made the decision to go ahead and take the out of school. We had absolutely no regrets. They didn't miss out on anything that first week of school and we all had a wonderful time.

I lost my husband, my dad and grandmother last year, all within months of each other. Kind of changes your perspective on life and makes you realize how fragile it is. Family time is important, whether it's on a beautiful ship at sea or at the dinner table at home. We're taking another extended family cruise next year in October and we can't wait!
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #75
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Something to think about. On Tuesday my son is going to start U.S. History in independent Summer School. He will meet with his teacher 7 days this summer (once a week). When he is done he will get credit for taking a full year of High School U.S. History. Last year he did the same thing for World History and received an "A" on his grade. If he can do this in 7 days how much can it hurt missing 5 days out of a 180 day school year?
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: