Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #166
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I respect how hard most teachers work; however, at the end of the day, it is what is best for the child and not the teacher that matters. If you don't believe that, then to be brutally honest, you don't have any business being a teacher. I know that may sound harsh, but its the truth. Lets face it, teachers don't get in this business to make a ton of money, they do it because they want what's best for the children and if your not in it for that reason, you have no business doing it.
Okay- true enough. I love my job and I believe do it well. But... is it better for me to spend an hour prepping work for 1 child's Disney vacation or prepping reading centers, art projects, math maniplutaives, creative writing projects etc etc for the other 26 first graders in my class. I have no aide, so it is all me and all my time. Now, for a one time thing.... okay. But imagine the child who missed 28 days last year for vacation. Let's say that's 6 trips. That is 6 prep periods (or more) for that one child. But, he's extreme, so let's say 1-2 significant trips a year per child. That's 40 hours a year (27x1.5) in prepping vacation work instead of prepping for the kids who are there in class. This is why my district forbids it ahead of time. It is a lot less work to collect it as the week goes on, the packet is a more accurate reflection of what was actually done and the child can enjoy their trip.

I should add- I don't care if the kids miss a week (as long as they can afford to academically). I would rather the parent not demand work! You miss school, you miss stuff is a saying in my class (when the kids are upset that their vacation was over Field Day, Holiday Party, Dbacks mascot coming to class, etc etc).

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #167
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flateacher View Post

I swore I was not going to comment until I read this. Make-up work for children who are ill IS part of my job. I do it ALOT. It is extra work and time consuming in an already time crunched position. However, no one can help when they get sick and it is no fault of the child's. So teachers are willing to get sick students work and make time for them when they come back. (However, I have also had students and parents abuse this as well...)

BUT, vacationing during the school year is a choice that puts an extra burden on the teacher. Trying to gather work prior to a vacation should not "just be considered part of my job". I have plenty of other duties that are spelled out and take up my time thank you very much. I am not sitting around wondering how to fill my time.

I have 120 students - many of them miss class for various reasons - volleyball tournaments, tennis matches, vacations at the beach - you name it - I have heard it. And it is way more than you think. On any given Friday or Monday our absent attendance roster is very long. I had one student leave early this year before finals to vacation overseas...(because it was cheaper)

That being said - I teach older students who know to ask ahead of time. I can give them a few days worth of work - but science labs can't be made up and it is hard to recover from. I am happy to work with them and they are often thankful.

As other teachers have pointed out - many students DO NOT complete this work! Nothing is more aggravating than spending your time gathering work and have students not complete it. (Many of you on here have said you completed the work and that is awesome - I thank you for that - it is the best way to show you respect the teachers time and your child's education!)

I guess I take offense at the idea that teachers should be expected to do this extra work without thought and should consider those who attend school a bonus?!? Funny I thought part of going to school was the actual "going"...

Don't even get me started on "what is best for the child not the teacher" quote... how rude! I feel you do not respect how hard teachers work or the effort we put in everyday....
I completely agree.

We start school on September. By the first week of October, I had already had 6 students miss a 5-6 days of school for a week vacation. For each student I provided work. Only one student actually did the work. I get that it's a burden to make up both HW and CW while on vacation. Understand that we have a TON of curriculum to cover in a short amount of time. I commend those parents that ensure their child does his/her work; I can't imagine trying to get a second grader to do schoolwork while WDW is calling their name. For those who see it as a hassle, the easiest thing to do is to vacation during school holidays. Notice I said easiest, not exactly cheapest.

Quite honestly I would love to take my family on a DCL vacation during one of those times when the fares are low, but the reality is that will never happen. Not only am i not allowed to, but it's hard enough to take a single day off when I'm hacking up a lung.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #168
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I don't agree, going on vacation during the school year can't be helped for a lot of people. Many employers won't give time off during school breaks, yet require their employees to take a vacation every year (as they should, the downtime with family is important), so many people have no alternative but to take their kids out of school in order to have that downtime with their family.

I also say that sports should NEVER, EVER take kids away from their regular school day and should not interfere with homework.
Very true. I used to have a job like that and that was part of the reason I switched jobs. Other people always got the great vacations but not me. We also had to work weekends and all holidays. Basically 365.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #169
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I don't agree, going on vacation during the school year can't be helped for a lot of people. Many employers won't give time off during school breaks, yet require their employees to take a vacation every year (as they should, the downtime with family is important), so many people have no alternative but to take their kids out of school in order to have that downtime with their family.

I also say that sports should NEVER, EVER take kids away from their regular school day and should not interfere with homework.
Btw, I still would rather be considerate of the teacher's time though and choose another time after reading some of the responses on this thread. I also think it would be more ok for my child to miss school for a tournament or something like that vs for vacation.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #170
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flateacher View Post
and I never said I wouldn't do it... In fact I do it VERY often (even for those on vacation)...please read ALL of my post. I simply said as a teacher I would like recognition that it isn't as easy as you think to simply "pull some make up work"...

Do not tell me to get out of the profession if you do not read my entire post... I am done for the night... I have had enough rudeness from people who don't even know me...
I read the post that was made, I am certainly not going to go back and read every post you made. The response was to that post and I am not saying that you need get out of the teaching profession (unless you do believe that rhe teacher's needs should outweigh the child's needs). What I am saying is that to be in the teaching profession, you need to recognize that at the end of the day, what is best for the child and not the teacher is what is important and if you can't recognize that, then you shouldn't be a teacher.

I am not saying that the work that is put in by the teacher should be taken for granted in any way, in fact a nice thank you gift for the teacher (within whatever limits your state laws or district sets on such things) when you get back would be appropriate. But, yes, I would expect the teacher to make a reasonable export to provide work in advance.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #171
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Btw, I still would rather be considerate of the teacher's time though and choose another time after reading some of the responses on this thread. I also think it would be more ok for my child to miss school for a tournament or something like that vs for vacation.
What if you have no other time to pick than during the school year? Or can't afford another time of the year?

Why would it be more ok to miss for a tournament, that in the end will mean nothing than to miss for some quality time with family that can be with you forever if you work at keeping your family relationships together?

Lets face it, all relationships (not just husband and wife) take work to keep your family together and family is the most important thing we will ever have in life.

So, again, how is a tournament that won't mean anything after the current school year more important?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #172
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyriddle View Post
I completely agree.

We start school on September. By the first week of October, I had already had 6 students miss a 5-6 days of school for a week vacation. For each student I provided work. Only one student actually did the work. I get that it's a burden to make up both HW and CW while on vacation. Understand that we have a TON of curriculum to cover in a short amount of time. I commend those parents that ensure their child does his/her work; I can't imagine trying to get a second grader to do schoolwork while WDW is calling their name. For those who see it as a hassle, the easiest thing to do is to vacation during school holidays. Notice I said easiest, not exactly cheapest.

Quite honestly I would love to take my family on a DCL vacation during one of those times when the fares are low, but the reality is that will never happen. Not only am i not allowed to, but it's hard enough to take a single day off when I'm hacking up a lung.
Now if you provide the work and the student doesn't do it, I think that's just plain rude and probably deserves a full letter grade drop. As I said, I do appreciate that it could be extra work (although it shouldn't be too much, as most schools around here require plans for the entire school year about 2 weeks before school starts) and students and parents should respect that by making sure the work gets turned in within a reasonable (established by both the teacher and parents) amount of time.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #173
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What if you have no other time to pick than during the school year? Or can't afford another time of the year?

Why would it be more ok to miss for a tournament, that in the end will mean nothing than to miss for some quality time with family that can be with you forever if you work at keeping your family relationships together?

Lets face it, all relationships (not just husband and wife) take work to keep your family together and family is the most important thing we will ever have in life.

So, again, how is a tournament that won't mean anything after the current school year more important?
I can't understand why a tournament wouldn't mean anything. I don't understand that. It means something to the kid participating in the tournament. That's obviously a difference in value systems and we won't see eye to eye on that. I feel sports are pretty important.

I wanted to do a summer Disney cruise but it was too expensive. If have to wait and save up for it and go another year. There are cheaper times to go. For example if your kids have fall break or a long winter break or don't go back to school in September. The end of Aug is usually cheaper. We go back mid Aug and get out mid June so I miss out on the better early and late summer rates. We do have fall break and 2 weeks off in January. Some places have a week in Feb off. We don't. Anyway, I can't imagine that a person can't find at least one week out of the year where they could go on vacation when school is out. If not, then that's really unfortunate. That would be pretty tough.

I have a friend who definitely would not care if the teacher had to put her son's work together on the weekend on her own time. She would not care. Her vacation would be way more important than any inconvenience the teacher might feel. She and I are very good friends but I'm just the opposite. When I think about it it bothers me but to each their own.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #174
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
Okay- true enough. I love my job and I believe do it well. But... is it better for me to spend an hour prepping work for 1 child's Disney vacation or prepping reading centers, art projects, math maniplutaives, creative writing projects etc etc for the other 26 first graders in my class. I have no aide, so it is all me and all my time. Now, for a one time thing.... okay. But imagine the child who missed 28 days last year for vacation. Let's say that's 6 trips. That is 6 prep periods (or more) for that one child. But, he's extreme, so let's say 1-2 significant trips a year per child. That's 40 hours a year (27x1.5) in prepping vacation work instead of prepping for the kids who are there in class. This is why my district forbids it ahead of time. It is a lot less work to collect it as the week goes on, the packet is a more accurate reflection of what was actually done and the child can enjoy their trip.

I should add- I don't care if the kids miss a week (as long as they can afford to academically). I would rather the parent not demand work! You miss school, you miss stuff is a saying in my class (when the kids are upset that their vacation was over Field Day, Holiday Party, Dbacks mascot coming to class, etc etc).
I am not saying 28 days, that is very excessive and there should be reasonable limits. Who even gets 28 days of vacation to take?

I am thinking of the average family that gets 2-3 weeks a year and due to work schedules, finances, what have you cannot take a vacation during school breaks. That amounts to a maximum of 15 school days, but with school schedules being what they are with half days where virtually no education happens once a week, we are now down to a maximum of 12 educational days. As I said in my other posts, since lesson plans have to be turned in at least two weeks before school starts (something that I hear teachers around hear complaining about to no end, so I know it's the way it works here at least), this shouldn't be too difficult to begin with. Then factor in teacher prep days and such and you will most likely down to no more than 10 educational days (for three weeks worth of vacations) to make up. This doesn't factor in any movie days, assembly days or other such items that chew into the educational days.

So, I still maintain it is not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. I am not saying its not extra work, but I am saying that we need to put it in perspective.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #175
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't understand why a tournament wouldn't mean anything. I don't understand that. It means something to the kid participating in the tournament. That's obviously a difference in value systems and we won't see eye to eye on that. I feel sports are pretty important.

I wanted to do a summer Disney cruise but it was too expensive. If have to wait and save up for it and go another year. There are cheaper times to go. For example if your kids have fall break or a long winter break or don't go back to school in September. The end of Aug is usually cheaper. We go back mid Aug and get out mid June so I miss out on the better early and late summer rates. We do have fall break and 2 weeks off in January. Some places have a week in Feb off. We don't. Anyway, I can't imagine that a person can't find at least one week out of the year where they could go on vacation when school is out. If not, then that's really unfortunate. That would be pretty tough.

I have a friend who definitely would not care if the teacher had to put her son's work together on the weekend on her own time. She would not care. Her vacation would be way more important than any inconvenience the teacher might feel. She and I are very good friends but I'm just the opposite. When I think about it it bothers me but to each their own.
People who work at the parks are a prime example of this. At least at Disneyland, they are not allowed to take vacation time when local schools are out. Yet many of the CMs have families that they should be able to take a vacation with. I don't think any of us would begrudge them that.

Bottom line is I would care and I would do what I could to make it easier on the teacher; however if it came between delaying the vacation or taking the child out of school, I would take the child out of school in a heartbeat. Lets face it, you never know what will happen tomorrow. You could get hit by a bus and killed, then would delaying the vacation be worth it?

As for sports, they are definitely not important. I actually think they should be banned from all schools, except in the form of PE and even that shouldn't be as important as scholastics.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #176
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77

I am not saying 28 days, that is very excessive and there should be reasonable limits. Who even gets 28 days of vacation to take?

By law, everyone here in the EU
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #177
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

On a side note, I do hope the parents are as equally concerned with their children's education as well as holiday time. I believe you see this long before any absence request is made. Generally, a good student from an involved home could take a month off and still do well. However, an uninvolved parent who is simply making selfish decisions, can make all the philosophical reasons and excuses about how the trip will be good for their child, when in reality they are adding to their child's burden.
This is not an easy topic, but good students will tend to still do well, and poor students will continue to slide. Parents do know what is best for their children, but sadly some will make destructive decisions for their student and use many of our arguments to validate their selfishness.
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #178
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Not all systems and districts require lesson plans 2 weeks in advance, FYI.

edited for wrong quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #179
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
In our district if you are absent for that long for medical treatments you will get an at home teacher that will come and see in the hospital. My friend actually does this for our school district.
Now that is awesome. What a wonderful service. It must also be very tough and heart wrenching at times! That is putting children first!

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #180
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
We are allowed (and encouraged) to do so for medical absences, but not allowed to for vacations- which are considered unexcused- which has no real penalty except after 10 straight days (2 weeks) the child is dropped. I mean, you get a letter- but nothing is ever done! My colleague had a child miss 28 days for vacations last year, but never more than 9 in a row- so there was no penalty other than the form letter in the mail!
Strange policy to allow so many absences! 28! When they were young we took our kids out for Disney in January. But, because we arranged it ahead of time and let the school know, it was not unexcused. But they wouldn't allow more than 10 days a year. That seemed reasonable to me. All their teachers were glad to accomodate the trip.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: