Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #136
Tower
DIS Veteran

We pulled all 3 of our kids from school on both DCL cruises as well as Disney vacations. November is DW's birthmonth and we like to go away with her and make it special for her. (She is a mom after all and deserves a break!)
We will not take them out for longer than a week, so a 14 night TA will not work for us at the current scheduling, but we focus on the school calendar as to when there might be a PA day for the kids to add to the vacation.
In 2 years, we will go on our 3rd DCL cruise, but we're aiming that one at the last week of August due to DS being 14 by that time and starting high school. Grade school absentee is ok, not high school in our opinion.

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #137
MJ6987
DIS Veteran

I would say that unless they are coming up to crucial exams or whatever, then they are really not going to miss much in school for a week. And, they will probably gain so much more in life experience and emotional wellbeing on a week's cruising than they ever will in a week at school!
MJ6987 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #138
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

I totally agree that crowds and cost is a big factor in taking kids out of school. However, that may not be the root cause. Smaller crowds = a potentially easier and pleasant FAMILY experience. Cheaper cost = maybe being able to go at all or being able to do excursions. I would never do any vacation in any peak period because it is so less stressful.
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #139
jennileigh
Earning My Ears

... I current do not have any children, but I remember growing up always taking a week off of school to go down to Disney.. my senior year in high school I was in school for 2 days then left to go on the Wonder and the parks for a week.. I think it was a lot easier back then to do it - my mother always made sure I bought school work with me especially since aside from my senior year we would go down in October/November.. as a family we never went on vacation during the summer - my father worked in construction and those were his busiest days..

DVC: Saratoga Springs / Animal Kingdom Villas
Cruise: Wonder 9/2000 - Dream 9/2013
Hotels: Aulani, Treehouse Villas, Saratoga Springs, Disneyland Hotel, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, All Star Movies, Sports and Music.
jennileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #140
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippican View Post
So if your trip can be scheduled during times outside of school, and, if not for financial work schedule or crowds , I'd really like to hear why you pull them (not being sarcastic, genuinely interested).
I like this question! I, too, am interested. Inquiring minds want to know!

As mentioned previously, I pull the boys out 2-3 times per year. For a lot of days. Unique sailings are my reasoning (TA/PC), but we are also pulling them out a week early for Christmas because the DVC points are so crazy at that time of year. However, we do go skiing in Tahoe during their Spring Break -- no need to miss school for that.

I imagine that people will have similar responses to yours (and mine), but if not, I'd love to hear it!

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #141
Turbanator
Disney Fan

We used to but now our school have got very strict on attendance and even complain when our kids off when ill
Old 06-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #142
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So if your trip can be scheduled during times outside of school, and, if not for financial work schedule or crowds , I'd really like to hear why you pull them (not being sarcastic, genuinely interested).
Another factor for me is the weather. I LOVE going to WDW, but have absolutely no desire to go during the summer. Standing in line for hours in 95 degree temps, sandwiched in between sweaty (sometimes smelly) people, having the kids constantly complain about being hot... No thank you. We try to go in the fall or in January, crowds are lighter, temps are comfortable, and our overall experience is less stressful. We also try to attach it to a week when our DDs have a day or two off from school. They are still in elementary school, so I know it will get harder to take them out as they get older.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #143
Dixieland Mom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice416 View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
I have always pulled mine out, particularly for cruise vacations, with the complete blessing of the school district! The theory is, yes, it's a vacation, BUT, we always chose shore excursions where they could learn something specific. They then would write up a report about (dolphins habitats and lives, Mayan civilization, the ancient Greeks, etc), when we got home and as they got older, that could be a huge report. Travelling in and of itself is very educational. Not only did they learn about other cultures, history, science, geography, and how people in the other parts of the world live. For them, it was a mega field trip, and now, as older teens, they still maintain an honor roll average in school and already have plans for college, so I don't feel it makes them think vacations are more important than school.

Disney Wonder-Alaska-June 17th 2013
NCL Star-Caribbean-April 7th, 2013
NCL Dream-Caribbean-2007
NCL Dream-Caribbean-2006
RCCL-Rhapsody of the Seas-Caribbean-2005
NCL Sea-Caribbean-2004
Dixieland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #144
lady9
DIS Veteran

I didn't read the entire thread so maybe a teacher has jumped in here already. I have no problem with a student going on vacation with their family during the school year. Our school allows for 5 days absence for family vacations. I don't mind gathering student work but do ask the parents to understand it may not all be given to them ahead of time. (I had 1 family wanting the work 2 weeks before the vacation and were quite nasty when I said it would be given 2 days before. Most teachers have an idea of what they will be teaching and when but specific plans are done about a week ahead of time.) I would advice those taking kids out for vacation to ask the teacher what would be best for the student. I try not to send much work because it is, after all a vacation. Skipping a week of spelling or reading isn't going to make or break a student. And it is really irritating to a teacher who has spent a lot of time gathering the work and writing out the directions for a student to return to school with none of it completed with a note stating "We didn't have time."
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #145
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady9 View Post
I didn't read the entire thread so maybe a teacher has jumped in here already. I have no problem with a student going on vacation with their family during the school year. Our school allows for 5 days absence for family vacations. I don't mind gathering student work but do ask the parents to understand it may not all be given to them ahead of time. (I had 1 family wanting the work 2 weeks before the vacation and were quite nasty when I said it would be given 2 days before. Most teachers have an idea of what they will be teaching and when but specific plans are done about a week ahead of time.) I would advice those taking kids out for vacation to ask the teacher what would be best for the student. I try not to send much work because it is, after all a vacation. Skipping a week of spelling or reading isn't going to make or break a student. And it is really irritating to a teacher who has spent a lot of time gathering the work and writing out the directions for a student to return to school with none of it completed with a note stating "We didn't have time."
I didn't read the whole thread, either, but I am also a teacher (and a mother of 2). I don't have a problem with families making the decision to pull their kids for vacation. I do have a problem with them thinking it's OK for that decision to create more work for me. I will not gather work to do over the vacation, nor will I catch your child up when he or she returns. I will collect work during the time you are away, and I will be happy to give it to you so you can catch your child up on the missed work.

We pulled our elder daughter out of school when she was in the third grade for a week at WDW (I wasn't working at the time). She was fine and life went on, but we haven't done it since. Now she's in high school and she's had so much school work to do since 7th grade that there is no way we would pull her for vacation. I think it's a really personal decision and I don't blame anyone for making the decision that is right for their family, even if it wouldn't be right for mine.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #146
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim1964 View Post

I didn't read the whole thread, either, but I am also a teacher (and a mother of 2). I don't have a problem with families making the decision to pull their kids for vacation. I do have a problem with them thinking it's OK for that decision to create more work for me. I will not gather work to do over the vacation, nor will I catch your child up when he or she returns. I will collect work during the time you are away, and I will be happy to give it to you so you can catch your child up on the missed work.

We pulled our elder daughter out of school when she was in the third grade for a week at WDW (I wasn't working at the time). She was fine and life went on, but we haven't done it since. Now she's in high school and she's had so much school work to do since 7th grade that there is no way we would pull her for vacation. I think it's a really personal decision and I don't blame anyone for making the decision that is right for their family, even if it wouldn't be right for mine.
In our state, if a parent requests independent study (which is how the school gets paid for the absence), the teacher is obligated to put the packet together prior to the leave of absence. What would you think of that if you were required to do it?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #147
twinstars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have continued to follow this thread with interest and am enjoying the wonderful, passionate comments. I agree with the benefits of learning first hand and family bonding. These can both be accomplished equally as well during time outside of the school calendar.
With a few rare exceptions such as a parent who has an inflexible work schedule, or an itinerary that is unique (a TA or canal trip), I still say the majority of parents pull their kids during school for two reasons; it's cheaper, and less crowded. We've done it with our own children, and continue with our grandchildren. I really doubt they learn a heck of a lot zooming down the ski slopes in the Rockies (they ski a lot from home) or trekking through Disney (again), but we sure do love beating the crowds and getting better airfare. It sounds better to say we primarily do it for the kids, but in truth, we pull them out of school rather than vacation times for grown-up reasons, and I'm ok saying that.

Well said.
twinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #148
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
In our state, if a parent requests independent study (which is how the school gets paid for the absence), the teacher is obligated to put the packet together prior to the leave of absence. What would you think of that if you were required to do it?
If there was a law that required that I provide work to people who choose to vacation during the school year, I would follow the law. I would also work to change the law. Independent study due to medical issues is one thing and I have no problem with the extra work in that case. "Independent study" so someone can visit Mickey at a more convenient time of the year is totally different. Someone's desire for shorter lines or lower prices shouldn't create extra work for teachers.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #149
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If there was a law that required that I provide work to people who choose to vacation during the school year, I would follow the law. I would also work to change the law. Independent study due to medical issues is one thing and I have no problem with the extra work in that case. "Independent study" so someone can visit Mickey at a more convenient time of the year is totally different. Someone's desire for shorter lines or lower prices shouldn't create extra work for teachers.
That's what I was concerned about. Thank you for answering.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #150
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is good for children to travel with parents, see the world, and experience things. Even Disney is an awesome experience that is good for children. I think it should just be considered part of the teachers job to accomodate children being out of school for sickness, travel, or other things. Kids who take no time off are an extra bonus rather than children traveling for a week or two being a burden. Most teachers I've talked to about this subject feel this way. They have no problem whatsoever providing some work and many plan for it.

The one real consideration here is what is best for the children, not what is best for the school or teacher.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: